Pope Benedict in shock resignation

IrishGuyIrishGuy Posts: 258
edited March 2013 in A Moving Train
Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month after nearly eight years as the head of the Catholic Church, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

The unexpected development - the first papal resignation in nearly 600 years - surprised governments, Vatican-watchers and even his closest aides.

The Vatican says it expects a new Pope to be elected before Easter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
    A very rare event.

First pontiff to do so in 600 years.
  • IrishGuyIrishGuy Posts: 258
    Yeah, I thought it was basically a job for life.

For a slightly less serious take on the story http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/pope-headhunted-by-satan-2013021159277
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    Very strange indeed. Makes me want to rewatch Eurotrip.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    So they're convening the next conclave in March?

The Catholic church comes off as quite creepy to me. Too much ritual, symbolism, and tradition and not enough practical application of God's word.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Good riddance. Maybe this will make room for a more progressive Pope, although I will not hold my breath.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Good timing for change
    Maybe they can do a little research and make sure the new guy was never in cahoots with the Nazis.

:fp:

:P
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Is it possible to have a pope that is under the age of 70?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,288
    I know he is up in years , but to come on the heels of a second u.s. diocese cardinal to face and be convicted of criminal charges and given his former post related to such matters, his resignation coming at this time seems suspect to me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    hopefully the next one shuts this cess pool down.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    If anyone, regardless of position or stature, desires to retire before they die and is capable doing so I say go for it and good for you!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    the real crime in all of this is that this pope will become a piece of trivial information on a game show such as...

contestent: "i'll take vatican history for $500, Alex"

trebek: "this pontiff was the first one to retire since the 1400s."

contestent: "who was benedict the 7th?"

he will be remembered for this retirement instead of what he really did, cover up for hundreds of pedophile priests.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    How interesting that lightning struck the Vatican today, Too. Click on the link, a photo of it was caught.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... pe-1704295
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    He's pretty old, and he didn't want to be pope in the first place - he just took it on because he felt it was his duty when asked.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Of course "something" happened and he was told "you're going to quit now."

We'll find out what it was, maybe. Or maybe secrecy was the deal.

"we won't release the video of you fucking those kids and the donkey while wearing your old SS uniform and you quit now because you're so hated that the entire Catholic church is losing money, credibility and members."

Good riddance to bad garbage and garbage is what that pig is. He's such a swine that I can't even come up with words in any human language to describe what an evil monster he is.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    It was always know that he was a transitional Pope as they didn't want another john Paul the 2nd. I would not be surprised if we see a south American pope next.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... okies.html

Oddsmakers have Canadian as leading pope candidate

Irish bookmakers today put Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet as the leading contender to succeed Pope Benedict XVI.

At 5-2 odds early Monday, someone betting two euros ($2.68 Cdn) on Ouellet replacing Benedict would win five euros ($6.70) if the Quebecer were elected at the papal conclave, Bloomberg News reported after Pope Benedict announced Monday he is resigning end of February for health reasons.

Later in the day, the Canadian's odds stretched to 3-1, paying six euros ($8.10) on a two-euro bet.

The Dublin-based bookmaker Paddy Power's odds suggest that the next most likely contenders are African Cardinals Francis Arinze of Nigeria at 4-1 and Peter Turkson of Ghana at 7-2.

Betting on elections and other outcomes has a long history in Ireland and the U.K., where wagering has gone far beyond sporting events.

The longest shot on Paddy Power's papal-successor list Monday was rock star activist Bono.

Bono: a long shot for pope. (J. Scott Applewhite/Associated Press)
    He was followed by Rev. Dougal McGuire, a fictional simpleton in the British TV series Father Ted who has only a vague understanding of Roman Catholicism.

Both were given 1,000-1 odds of becoming pope.

Ouellet, Canadian head of the Vatican's office for bishops, has experience in Latin America and holds a senior position with the Congregation for Bishops in Rome, which oversees the selection of some bishops.

While candidates do not campaign for the papal job, and Ouellet expressed outright reluctance in 2011, he is, at age 68, among the younger potential candidates.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    How 'bout dual popes, eh?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwwMIPL8n0XuexVz-Mr3mgAmdETya7_Bo2VdR-sjI6-r8HLML_9A
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    Good riddance, asshole.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

thou shalt not be a hoser, eh?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

:thumbup: The world would be a better place!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    The news was speaking of the ancient rituals that will most likely not take place
    as the Pope is resigning and didn't pass on.
    It's all really interesting and rather exciting. I'll be watching to see who gets in.
    I like the younger Cardinal, 64 years young from Africa ... what a smile :D
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    557736_422637897752228_201900393159314_1897599_1199028185_n.jpeg
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    557736_422637897752228_201900393159314_1897599_1199028185_n.jpeg

"Here we see Pope Benedict and Emperor Palpatine both getting blown by dudes..."

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Ill health.... mmmm... maybe a semi-valid excuse.

The Vatileaks and the fallout from that - much more valid and probable excuse. The pope is 'dirty' - just as corrupted at the rest of the Vatican. Money, children, etc..... The next one will be just the same...
    redrock wrote:
    Ill health.... mmmm... maybe a semi-valid excuse.

The Vatileaks and the fallout from that - much more valid and probable excuse. The pope is 'dirty' - just as corrupted at the rest of the Vatican. Money, children, etc..... The next one will be just the same...
    Yup!