Options

I'm pretty sure I need a root canal

13»

Comments

• Options
    Well see i had all four at the same time too and was expecting much worse than what it was. Mine were in really awful shape too, broken off and in a big mess I hate to admit, but I swear i hardly had any pain. My girl had had hers done a couple of years prior and was amazed that I was taking it so well...maybe my surgeon was some kind of damn wizard or something.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Well see i had all four at the same time too and was expecting much worse than what it was. Mine were in really awful shape too, broken off and in a big mess I hate to admit, but I swear i hardly had any pain. My girl had had hers done a couple of years prior and was amazed that I was taking it so well...maybe my surgeon was some kind of damn wizard or something.
    That's awesome. I must say, too, that it wasn't as bad as I had expected (they put me out also for the procedure), but the first day out was kind of rough. They healed very quickly. I'm glad it went well for you! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Yellow Ledbelly,

The pain from your wisdom teeth is different because of how they cause pain. Wisdom teeth tend push on the other teeth in order to erupt from the gums. Wisdom teeth are usually removed due to impaction not infection. If they are removed due to infection, the infection is caused from waiting too long to have them removed.

Depending on the wisdom tooth's impaction and position, the dentist may have to cut some of the supporting bone away to remove them. It's the usually the residual trauma to the supporting bone that gives you the pain after an wisdom tooth extraction. The extraction of the wisdom teeth is usually to prevent issues such as infection or damage to the other teeth.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1596417451551&id=14c8925c4c42198c6e440c9a004c17ee

With a root canal, most of the time, the pain is coming from an infection of the nerve inside the tooth. Root canal treatment is for cleaning out the infected nerve. Once it's removed, usually in the first appointment, people start feeling better almost immediately. The second appointment is to fill the empty canal(s) so they are not hollow, which weakens the tooth.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1547439318955&id=c4036ba72ee6a9505f46634d0c45343a

I hope this answers your question. :D
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    It's been a long time since I had my wisdom teeth out but I remember the pain being pretty bad afterward. Ditto for my husband when he had his done.

The tooth that just had the root canal started bothering me about 2 weeks ago. 2 days after the root canal, the tooth feels fine. I think I was more uncomfortable from having my mouth pried open for 2 hours than from the procedure itself.

I'll say one thing though, when your mouth hurts it's a pretty miserable experience, whatever the cause. :(
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out at once and it wasn't necessarily as bad as I thought, but it was no picnic either. I could feel the pressure of them coming out. The dr. also accidentally sliced the back of my mouth with one of his tools...didn't make it any better.

When I had a root canal, I was awake but it was totally painless. In fact, I fell asleep during the root canal :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    I'll say one thing though, when your mouth hurts it's a pretty miserable experience, whatever the cause. :(

Yes, that is so true. I have heard some patients say labour & delivery or a broken limb is easier to have.

Unfortunately, fear is a major factor that prevents many people from going when they need to. There are patients that come back repeatedly for the antibiotics. Once the antibiotics remove the pain, they figure they are healed. By the time they have come 4 or 5 times, it's too late to save the tooth and other teeth that are now being affected.

I feel for them, because they must have had a pretty fearful experience, be too embarrassed, or just don't know the ramifications, to get help. It can be tough to say, "I left it too long" , "I'm scared" or "I didn't really know what would happen if I left it".

I do my best to calm my patients and tell them everything. From my experience, the more a patient knows, the better he/she will accept treatment and the continued preventative care.

I am glad I am able to help my PJ friends too. :D
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019

Yes, that is so true. I have heard some patients say labour & delivery or a broken limb is easier to have.

Unfortunately, fear is a major factor that prevents many people from going when they need to. There are patients that come back repeatedly for the antibiotics. Once the antibiotics remove the pain, they figure they are healed. By the time they have come 4 or 5 times, it's too late to save the tooth and other teeth that are now being affected.

I feel for them, because they must have had a pretty fearful experience, be too embarrassed, or just don't know the ramifications, to get help. It can be tough to say, "I left it too long" , "I'm scared" or "I didn't really know what would happen if I left it".

I do my best to calm my patients and tell them everything. From my experience, the more a patient knows, the better he/she will accept treatment and the continued preventative care.

I know you have helped me throughout my trials with this issue. :mrgreen: And I wish you were the one who was there last week when I went to get my tooth pulled---I had a girl who had a really bad attitude, I was already stressed out about it--turns out they couldn't do it because my blood pressure was too high. 2 hours after I got back home, it was normal. I am supposed to go back in 2 weeks to try again, and the anxiety will likely be worse this time around after that. :?
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:

I know you have helped me throughout my trials with this issue. :mrgreen: And I wish you were the one who was there last week when I went to get my tooth pulled---I had a girl who had a really bad attitude, I was already stressed out about it--turns out they couldn't do it because my blood pressure was too high. 2 hours after I got back home, it was normal. I am supposed to go back in 2 weeks to try again, and the anxiety will likely be worse this time around after that. :?

Ok, next time, do the breathing and relaxation exercises you did last time. If you are really nervous, ask your dentist if there is something you can have prior to the extraction. I am sure there is something. Feel free to PM me when you get closer to the time! :D
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx8r-TiLSVg

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    just had my 2nd root canal
    it was hell
    3 hours in the chair and the anesthetic didn't do a great job.
    so sore today.