Options

PJ 5k

cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
edited May 2009 in The Porch
So, I'm training for a 5k and would like to compile a PJ playlist for the whole thing. This has turned out to be harder than I thought because I have found that I rely so heavily on just the right song pace and tempo to keep me going (I'm a new runner and need all the boost I can get).

Rearviewmirror is the absolute best song for my running speed and cadence, so I plan to use that to cross the finish line.

Care to make suggestions for the other 35-40 mins?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Lukin/Not For You live combo has to be in there some where
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    cdp1223 wrote:
    So, I'm training for a 5k and would like to compile a PJ playlist for the whole thing. This has turned out to be harder than I thought because I have found that I rely so heavily on just the right song pace and tempo to keep me going (I'm a new runner and need all the boost I can get).

Rearviewmirror is the absolute best song for my running speed and cadence, so I plan to use that to cross the finish line.

I'll check later tonight, but do you have an example of songs (either studio or boots) which you're happy with their tempo/pace? I have software that displays the BPM, so I can give you some suggestions if you give me a reference song.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Go!!!

Habit
    Why Go
    Animal
    Present Tense
    Last exit

just a few suggestions...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SM169849SM169849 Thunder Bay Ontario Canada Posts: 93
    Life Wasted should pump you up!!! What about leatherman??
    * Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    * Xcel Energy Center - Jun 26, 2006
    * Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    * United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    * United Center - Aug 24, 2009
  • Options
    Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    The only way to do it is to methodically find the songs that have the right cadence. Keep in mind that during the actual 5K you will be running faster than you normally train and you will be tempted to run too fast during the beggining so I would suggest some more mellow songs at the start. Don't allow RVM to speed you up too fast at the start because the really rocking fast part is really long. I can usually go 3/4 of a mile on RVM but then I'm wasted at the end so the timing would have to be perfect.

Good luck

Don't lean too heavily on the Ipod by the way- It's dangerous during training with road traffic and many race events won't allow them.
  • Options
    CraneCrane Posts: 192
    All or None...............

Do the Evolution always gets me going when Im working out! And I always find Go to be a great running song :)
    "The mind is a wonderfull thing to be altered"

The Point, Dublin 2006
    Bercy, Paris September 11, 2006
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf, 2007
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Spin the Black circle
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I often find myself running to Given to Fly from the Gorge live album. Its got a great pace for a run.
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    I'll check later tonight, but do you have an example of songs (either studio or boots) which you're happy with their tempo/pace? I have software that displays the BPM, so I can give you some suggestions if you give me a reference song.

RVM-studio is pretty much the ideal for my running pace. I tend to go around 6-6.5mph (I'm only 5'1 and have hobbit legs!). Green Disease is another one of my standards, though it tends a little towards the fast side (just slightly).

I've used that BPM software (or something similar) for my spinning classes before, but haven't experimented for my running cadence. Good suggestion.
  • Options
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    The only way to do it is to methodically find the songs that have the right cadence. Keep in mind that during the actual 5K you will be running faster than you normally train and you will be tempted to run too fast during the beggining so I would suggest some more mellow songs at the start. Don't allow RVM to speed you up too fast at the start because the really rocking fast part is really long. I can usually go 3/4 of a mile on RVM but then I'm wasted at the end so the timing would have to be perfect.

Good luck

Don't lean too heavily on the Ipod by the way- It's dangerous during training with road traffic and many race events won't allow them.

Thanks for the reality check there....I do tend to get a little worked up and start off a little fast!

The race I am in is on closed streets and allows headphones, so I'm good for that. But thanks for the safety tip re: training with traffic while wearing headphones. :)
  • Options
    Cool thread - I just started running too, so I'm interested in the results...

Here are my suggestions off the top of my head:
    Life Wasted
    Brain of J
    Down
    Black, Red, Yellow
    "Shoe the Shoeless!"
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    cdp1223 wrote:

Realistically it should only take you 30 minutes to complete at a 10 minutes a mile pace (a brisk walk). You're probably selling yourself short by planning for 40 minutes. ;) But if you're just starting out there are two words that are a great philosophy to apply here, as in most situations: DON'T QUIT.

You might not like to hear this, but if you're focusing on the bpm of a song while you're running instead of your breathing pattern in relation to your footfalls it's my opinion that you're making a mistake. If you're going to stick with running you'll find out that doing it correctly (in a healthy way) involves truly being in touch with your body and how it responds when you decide to push it. Being in touch with how you respond to physical exertion will allow you to avoid injury and improve your stride and breathing techniques over time.

Don't get me wrong though, I do run with headphones. But when I do I keep the volume pretty low so that I can hear myself breathe and hear my heart beat in relation to my footfalls. It's my experience that when the volume is up to high I focus on the bpm of the song instead of doing what is more important: keeping a pace that allows me to run consistently and comfortably (An indication is if you find yourself getting out of breath when a fast paced song comes on then it's a pretty good indication that you're not paying attention to your running technique). Those are two aspects of running that, once you identify what the mean to you, will allow you to stay healthy and enjoy yourself instead of seeing running as a chore and quitting after a short period.

This isn't a paid plug or anything, but runnersworld.com is a pretty good resource for not only technique, but also some decent training plans that will allow you to achieve your time and distance goals. Give it a look.

Good luck in the 5K! Keep us up on how you do!

Also, Save You has a good pace and rocks to listen to!
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    40 mins? :shock:

If you are running - which I assume you are - given RVM being the crossing the line song, You need to be aiming around the 25 mins walk. Thats a pace of a fairly reasonable jog.

For examply the majority of runners who do 10k's tend to hit around the 50 minute mark as an average (dnt get me wrong some do it in 33 mins) so your first 5k will likely be the quickest so I';d suggest 25 mins max

and for that I'd use

Go
    Animal
    GTF
    Life Wasted
    Lukin
    RVM
  • Options
    Haha, yeah as soon as I said 35-40 mins, I was like, hm....that's not quite right. But I just let it go. Who knew I was in the midst of running pros here?? :D

Like I said before, I'm new to running, and I come at it from the perspective of someone who spins (indoor cycles) a lot, where music is super important and you spend a lot of time focusing on the downbeat of the music and keeping pace with that. I keep having to remind myself that running is different and I will definitely check out the website recommended for some handy tips.

Seriously, thanks again for indulging me with this little experiment. I'll mess around some with it this week and let you know if I hit upon the "ideal" list.
  • Options
    wilfmisswilfmiss Posts: 196
    A 10 minute mile would be a pretty brisk walk!

I'm no expert, but I think you need to go with what is comfortable for you. If it relates to bpm, then use that. If it is breathing rate as related to footfalls, then use that instead. I used to run a lot more than I do now, but I never focused on a breathing pattern or listened to music when I ran. Neither worked for me.

Especially as someone who is starting this fresh, remember that there is no right or wrong, particularly when you are just starting out. Once you get a few races under your belt, you can experiment with some different pacing plans.

Just my opinion.

I also endorse runnersworld.com. There is a wealth of information there, and the training log is pretty useful.
    3-29-94-FL/9-24-96-MD/9-18-98-MD/9-05-00-PA/4-26-03-PA/5-03-03-PA/7-12-03-PA/10-1-04-PA/9-19-05-ON/9-28-05-PA/5-09-06-ON/5-10-06-ON/6-23-06-PA/6-19-08-NJ/10-28-09-PA/5-20-10-NY/5-21-10-NY/9-11-11-ON/9-12-11-ON/9-2-12-PA/9-22-12-GA/10-11-13-PA/10-18-13-NY/10-19-13-NY/10-16-14-MI/9-26-15-NY/4-9-16-FL/4-11-16-FL/8-8-18-WA/8-10-18-WA
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    got one on sunday! will be running with the wife....so i dont think we are gonna use ipods :(