Options

I can't go out with my friends for the dumbest reason

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
my friends were grabbing drinks tonight at a bar in our neighborhood. I can't go because it's really cold out, and I have no warm clothes or a winter jacket because since last winter I have gained 2 sizes and I haven't had time to go shopping yet! so the only clothes I have that fit are summer clothes. I tried on everything I kept from previous winters, and they are all too small. it is really crappy because I don't think my friends believe me, but I really want to go out! but it's under 30 degrees out and it's a 10 minute walk to the bar, I can't wear a short sleeved tshirt and a light jacket!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    That sucks. I feel your pain. While I do have a number of sweaters and a couple of heavy jackets. I've been soaking up puddles with my shoes for days. It's been raining a lot and my shoes have a few holes in the bottom that act as vaccuums for water. I've been meaning to go shopping for a new pair, but, I guess my only excuse is that I'm lazy.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    my friends were grabbing drinks tonight at a bar in our neighborhood. I can't go because it's really cold out, and I have no warm clothes or a winter jacket because since last winter I have gained 2 sizes and I haven't had time to go shopping yet! so the only clothes I have that fit are summer clothes. I tried on everything I kept from previous winters, and they are all too small. it is really crappy because I don't think my friends believe me, but I really want to go out! but it's under 30 degrees out and it's a 10 minute walk to the bar, I can't wear a short sleeved tshirt and a light jacket!

im far from a fashion guy ,but thats crazy

its nov u gotta get moving
  • Options
    I say squeeze in the clothes for one night, bars are pretty dark anyways, and then head to the store tomorrow...

Or try to layer some things. Walk quickly to the bar, and drink a lot.. then the walk home will feel all warm and fuzzy.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    ^^^ Layering - that's the ticket - do you have hoodies? I haven't pulled out my winter coat yet - I just keep piling on the hoodies, but my limit is 3. The coat's gonna have to come out soon. I saw snow all over the sides of the thruway today.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    So take the money you would have spent tonite at the bar and go buy some winter clothes!!!
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
  • Options
    party naked!
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Take a $4 cab ride?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Take a $4 cab ride?
    DING DING DING!!!!!!!

we have a winner!!!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Just suck it up the few minutes you will actually be outside. Once you're inside the bar, it will be hot, and then you would have to take off your jacket and find a place for the damn thing. I haven't owned a jacket in 14 years. TShirt, Long sleeve shirt, and a hooded sweatshirt will get you through just about any thing.
  • Options
    why did you gain so much weight......
  • Options
    spent all summer at the same bar????

hehehehehe.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I guess I'm not much better. I hate buying clothes.

If it's stopping you from going out and you have to start a thread about it maybe you should take NYPJ1's advice and get moving! ;)
  • Options

long story...used to be psycho about working out- 2 hours 6 days a week and ate practically nothing. went to grad school, got a boyfriend, lived in an autocentric area...basically became not-so-pysco about working out anymore. Plus I screwed around with my medication a bit...working out and eating nothing just became lower on the priority list in grad school.

trying to get back to being pyscho again. today i'm skipping brunch with my friends to get a run in before volunteering. my friends are going to kill me, but I can't help it, I have to start getting my priorities back in order. if it's to the point that my winter jackets don't fit, I definitely have a problem. It's been tough though- for some reason I just don't have the same motivation I used to to hop out of bed at 5:30 and do a killer workout. it makes me feel really bad that I can't get myself to be that kind of good person I used to be.

I've got to volunteer all day today, then I have a cocktail party at my upstairs neighbor's tonight. I'm going to have to wash my one long-sleeved shirt for work tomorrow and PRAY that I don't have to stay too late and will be able to go shopping after work...god I hate shopping! I haven't really been lazy about getting winter clothes though- i've been more busy and poor.
  • Options
    long story...used to be psycho about working out- 2 hours 6 days a week and ate practically nothing. went to grad school, got a boyfriend, lived in an autocentric area...basically became not-so-pysco about working out anymore. Plus I screwed around with my medication a bit...working out and eating nothing just became lower on the priority list in grad school.

trying to get back to being pyscho again. today i'm skipping brunch with my friends to get a run in before volunteering. my friends are going to kill me, but I can't help it, I have to start getting my priorities back in order. if it's to the point that my winter jackets don't fit, I definitely have a problem.

I've got to volunteer all day today, then I have a cocktail party at my upstairs neighbor's tonight. I'm going to have to wash my one long-sleeved shirt for work tomorrow and PRAY that I don't have to stay too late and will be able to go shopping after work...god I hate shopping! I haven't really been lazy about getting winter clothes though- i've been more busy and poor.

You should shop online. When I don't have time to shop that's what I do. Makes life a lot easier.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    You should shop online. When I don't have time to shop that's what I do. Makes life a lot easier.

yeah I do sometimes, but I'm really hard to fit and every time I buy stuff online I end up having to go to the post office to return 95% of it.
  • Options
    yeah I do sometimes, but I'm really hard to fit and every time I buy stuff online I end up having to go to the post office to return 95% of it.

Yeah, I try to buy stuff online that I've worn before (brands/styles) That way I have a better shot of actually having it fit.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Yeah, I try to buy stuff online that I've worn before (brands/styles) That way I have a better shot of actually having it fit.

yeah that's when I do it too. problem is that right now I have no idea what brands/styles I wear because it's totally different. I don't even know what size I am!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

yeah, that's a pretty lame reason.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

http://www.tenclub.net/goods/
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    GreenTeaDisease, it seems you have been struggling with this weight issue for years. Maybe it would be good to accept yourself at a comfortable weight that won't require you to work-out constantly. Find a happy medium...don't let yourself go...just find a weight you can keep with a reasonable amount of work-outs. Perhaps three or four a week instead of every night? Then you wouldn't be going up and down in size like this!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    GreenTeaDisease, it seems you have been struggling with this weight issue for years. Maybe it would be good to accept yourself at a comfortable weight that won't require you to work-out constantly. Find a happy medium...don't let yourself go...just find a weight you can keep with a reasonable amount of work-outs. Perhaps three or four a week instead of every night? Then you wouldn't be going up and down in size like this!!

ever try to convince a leopard to change its spots? she's addicted to the drama of her weight like a junkie needs his smack.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    ever try to convince a leopard to change its spots? she's addicted to the drama of her weight like a junkie needs his smack.

I think she's still attempting to get her body into some shape it doesn't naturally want to go and it takes a lot of the energy that she probably needs for other things.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Things like, boyfriends, and grad school, and friends are positive things. Don't get in the habit of feeling like those things are taking up your time to be obsessive about your body. While I have never seen a picture of you, I'm sure that you'd feel a lot better if you cut yourself some slack. Enjoy the things you have in your life. You don't want to get to the point where your body dictates everything you do, and you lose out on events, and things. If you have to work out 2 hours a day 6 days a week and starve yourself, then that is not your natural body weight. Just be healthy..
  • Options
    justam wrote:
    I think she's still attempting to get her body into some shape it doesn't naturally want to go and it takes a lot of the energy that she probably needs for other things.

undoubtedly. it's plain as day she has serious body image issues and has for years. they've affected every part of her life, going back to the start of this board she's been talking about this stuff.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867

it makes me feel really bad that I can't get myself to be that kind of good person I used to be.

I haven't really been lazy about getting winter clothes though- i've been more busy and poor.

Hey Green Tea;

Woman to woman here, may I give you this bit of advice? (I will assume you said yes.........)

I was obsessed with weight from the time I was small because my sister was always extremely overweight and loud mouthed, so I use to watch people , kids, make fun of her all of the time. At the same time I use to see her scream at my parents and me all of the time. So, I got this screwed up idea about weight/loudness and what being a girl meant. I wanted to be quiet and skinny. I got my wish and graduated 8th grade at 87 pounds, 5 foot 5 by barely eating. I wore a size 3, had like no color in my face and had no fun because of all of the worry about not eating and working out, like you said.

Ok so I do not want to make this about me, I just wanted to give you background here.

I know that if you don't watch what you eat or don't move to exercise, you gain weight, all of us do if we aren't careful. And sometimes being miserable makes us all want to eat and do nothing.

How about you think about trying to live your life and have fun and maybe your weight issues will just go away themselves? I think people use to be able to stay in shape because they were physically active and too busy to obsess like we do about weight and looks. I know not everyone was slim then but I bet if you don't eat like Britney Spears, (i.e., the cheeto diet) and you don't drink a lot, (drinking makes us all hungry) and go out a lot, walking, being outside, whatever, you will just lose the weight and not be all caught up in it all.

let me know what happens, ok? good luck to you.

and even though I am also concerned about not being flabby, and I try to be reasonably conscious about it all as well, here's a thought;

we usually all die thin, so have fun now..........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867

it makes me feel really bad that I can't get myself to be that kind of good person I used to be.

I haven't really been lazy about getting winter clothes though- i've been more busy and poor.

Hey Green Tea;

Woman to woman here, may I give you this bit of advice? (I will assume you said yes.........)

I was obsessed with weight from the time I was small because my sister was always extremely overweight and loud mouthed, so I use to watch people , kids, make fun of her all of the time. At the same time I use to see her scream at my parents and me all of the time. So, I got this screwed up idea about weight/loudness and what being a girl meant. I wanted to be quiet and skinny. I got my wish and graduated 8th grade at 87 pounds, 5 foot 5 by barely eating. I wore a size 3, had like no color in my face and had no fun because of all of the worry about not eating and working out, like you said.

Ok so I do not want to make this about me, I just wanted to give you background here.

I know that if you don't watch what you eat or don't move to exercise, you gain weight, all of us do if we aren't careful. And sometimes being miserable makes us all want to eat and do nothing.

How about you think about trying to live your life and have fun and maybe your weight issues will just go away themselves? I think people use to be able to stay in shape because they were physically active and too busy to obsess like we do about weight and looks. I know not everyone was slim then but I bet if you don't eat like Britney Spears, (i.e., the cheeto diet) and you don't drink a lot, (drinking makes us all hungry) and go out a lot, walking, being outside, whatever, you will just lose the weight and not be all caught up in it all.

let me know what happens, ok? good luck to you.

and even though I am also concerned about not being flabby, and I try to be reasonably conscious about it all as well, here's a thought;

we usually all die thin, so have fun now..........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    justam wrote:

unfortunately, this is my 3-4 workouts/week size. I just gain fat very very easily, and I'm big boned and big muscled underneath it all, so it looks worse/makes it harder to buy clothes. When I was just a little kid the doctor told me that I have to learn to live with the fact that I have to eat less and exercise more than most people. I'm not really "letting myself go" the way most people would think, i've just let myself go relative to myself. It's not like I get no exercise or eat a lot, I'm pretty normal right now (actually I'm probably better than normal). the problem is, my body does not seem to understand "normal."

my weight doesn't go up and down all that much- well it does in the short term, like day to day it could vary by 5-10 lbs of water-but I mean this is only the second time I've had a drastic change.
  • Options
    Things like, boyfriends, and grad school, and friends are positive things. Don't get in the habit of feeling like those things are taking up your time to be obsessive about your body. While I have never seen a picture of you, I'm sure that you'd feel a lot better if you cut yourself some slack. Enjoy the things you have in your life. You don't want to get to the point where your body dictates everything you do, and you lose out on events, and things. If you have to work out 2 hours a day 6 days a week and starve yourself, then that is not your natural body weight. Just be healthy..
    this is excellent advice... the only time I seem to lose weight is when I'm simply too busy to even think about food. Earlier on this year I had to REMIND myself to eat at about 8pm when I'd realised I hadn't eaten all day... and I love food :D . It's generally when I'm bored and doing nothing that I eat and smoke. Give yourself stuff to do. That's why I love working near the city centre cos I tend to do more stuff after work rather than just go home. Even if it's just going to the cinema, going shopping, meeting friends for a couple of drinks, just wandering around for a while, go to the beach... whatever! You actually don't need to exercise to lose weight (although I'm sure there's a certain amound of exercise involved in some of those things :D ) and you end up much happier in yourself too when you're out and about doing stuff. You don't need to be unhappy trying to meet your own demands... cos you're never going to stick to that.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222

trying to get back to being pyscho again. today i'm skipping brunch with my friends to get a run in before volunteering. my friends are going to kill me, but I can't help it, I have to start getting my priorities back in order. if it's to the point that my winter jackets don't fit, I definitely have a problem. It's been tough though- for some reason I just don't have the same motivation I used to to hop out of bed at 5:30 and do a killer workout. it makes me feel really bad that I can't get myself to be that kind of good person I used to be.

just buy some clothes online. i'm sure if you don't turn up once for your friends party that they'll be ok with that.
  • Options
    this is excellent advice... the only time I seem to lose weight is when I'm simply too busy to even think about food. Earlier on this year I had to REMIND myself to eat at about 8pm when I'd realised I hadn't eaten all day... and I love food :D . It's generally when I'm bored and doing nothing that I eat and smoke. Give yourself stuff to do. That's why I love working near the city centre cos I tend to do more stuff after work rather than just go home. Even if it's just going to the cinema, going shopping, meeting friends for a couple of drinks, just wandering around for a while, go to the beach... whatever! You actually don't need to exercise to lose weight (although I'm sure there's a certain amound of exercise involved in some of those things :D ) and you end up much happier in yourself too when you're out and about doing stuff. You don't need to be unhappy trying to meet your own demands... cos you're never going to stick to that.

Yeah helen, I mean I agree with everyone. I believe in intuitive eating and I do not believe in dieting. And I totally agree with you about living in the city. that's part of how I gained so much weight-my grad school was in North Carolina, in a suburban sprawl area- nothing to do and nowhere to walk. I don't work out just lose weight though. I like being fit and muscular. when you are fit and muscular, you are just going to be more compact and fit in clothes better. and you lose some weight in the process.

I'm trying to figure out where the hell is the best place for me to go buy clothes tonight. I need like a macy's or something with a lot of options and sizes. god, I hated clothes shopping when I was thin! this is nothing but a pain in the ass!