Tool

2»

Comments

• Options
    pipedreams wrote:
    Goals for 2006
    1) see PJ as often as possible
    2) see Tool as often as possible
    3) purchase a really good pair of headphones, smoke a fatty and listen to Aenima and 13th step.

Those are sweet goals. I think those will be my goals as well if you don't mind sharing...
    Here by my side, it's heaven.
  • Options
    pipedreams wrote:
    3) purchase a really good pair of headphones, smoke a fatty and listen to Aenima and 13th step.

I don't think you need to wait until 2006 for that one, do you? :p
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Those are sweet goals. I think those will be my goals as well if you don't mind sharing...

Definitely don't mind sharing. The more the merrier.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    pj_zombie wrote:
    I don't think you need to wait until 2006 for that one, do you? :p

Still recovering from Canada and Philly and and too many recent PJ poster purchases. But your right, plan on making hints to the wife for a Christmas present. Announced Tool dates in Raleigh and Charlotte would be a nice Christmas present also.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    absolutely love tool and they're at the top of my list of bands to see next. i love a perfect circle too, and was fortunate enough to see them live a few years ago...excellent show...probably one of the tightest bands i've seen. the drummer was unbelievable! maynard was unbelievable! i don't know if i could handle tool now that i think about it...wait a minute...bring them on! i really hope to catch them sometime, maybe more than once.

edit...just read through the thread and thought i would add that, for me, undertow is my fave. they are all pretty close. i started listening to them with opiate, but undertow was the one that really got me hooked. i think that's why it's still my fave. they're all classics though.
  • Options
    pipedreams wrote:
    Still recovering from Canada and Philly and and too many recent PJ poster purchases. But your right, plan on making hints to the wife for a Christmas present. Announced Tool dates in Raleigh and Charlotte would be a nice Christmas present also.

Where in NC do you live?
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:
    Where in NC do you live?

Winston-Salem
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    JamnPearl wrote:
    That's what the band said on an online chat last month...

Is there a transcript of the chat somewhere?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Six7Six7 wrote:
    yeah, and i think Tool are a little full of themselves.

Unless you go to Toolband.com every single week and read the books on their suggested reading list, you really don't know fuckall about what the songs are about anyway.

So you'll have to excuse me if maybe i don't feel like doing 6 hours of research just to understand what the fuck maynard is talking about when he stands in the dark and refers to the "collective unconscious" a dozen times throughout the set.

Play the damn music and give the people their money's worth, that is all i ask. and that doesn't mean you have to do fucking backflips. but at least pretend you want to be there.

I hear ya. What's with all the extra homework to fully "get" a song or an album? There's nothing wrong with having someone else's influence in your own art, but after a while it can get a little ridiculous when your songs need cliff notes and a bibliography.

Tool's website is horrendous. Someone punch that fuckin Blair guy in his face and tell him to shut the fuck up already.

I do love Tool and APC... I've seen both of them twice. I liked APC's show on the 13th Step Tour the best out of all those four... Funny thing is, I wasn't really familiar with the 13th step at that point, i had heard it, but didn't own it or really give it a good listen yet. I enjoy Tool's stage show, it's a bugout. Only thing is, twice in a tour is more than enough... I looked at their setlists and I was lucky to get 3 songs varying between the two shows. Most of their setlists barely change... not even the order.

Aenima is the greatest Tool Album, 13th Step is my favorite APC.

Bottom line, Pearl Jam is my standard for anything music related-- other bands, my own music, how my band goes about doing things... It's just so hard to compare to those guys. They do everything so damn good from making music, touring, maintaining integrity, changing up setlists, their sound, and their relationship with their fans.

I'm not a huge fan of the politics at the shows (though I really don't mind it, just don't enjoy it either)... so I just shrug that off all together because of how many other things that Pearl Jam does well.

And that's why it's easy to be critical of other great bands like Tool-- we're spoiled by PJ, and I fuckin love it.
  • Options
    I hear ya. What's with all the extra homework to fully "get" a song or an album? There's nothing wrong with having someone else's influence in your own art, but after a while it can get a little ridiculous when your songs need cliff notes and a bibliography.

Tool's website is horrendous. Someone punch that fuckin Blair guy in his face and tell him to shut the fuck up already.

I do love Tool and APC... I've seen both of them twice. I liked APC's show on the 13th Step Tour the best out of all those four... Funny thing is, I wasn't really familiar with the 13th step at that point, i had heard it, but didn't own it or really give it a good listen yet. I enjoy Tool's stage show, it's a bugout. Only thing is, twice in a tour is more than enough... I looked at their setlists and I was lucky to get 3 songs varying between the two shows. Most of their setlists barely change... not even the order.

Aenima is the greatest Tool Album, 13th Step is my favorite APC.

Bottom line, Pearl Jam is my standard for anything music related-- other bands, my own music, how my band goes about doing things... It's just so hard to compare to those guys. They do everything so damn good from making music, touring, maintaining integrity, changing up setlists, their sound, and their relationship with their fans.

I'm not a huge fan of the politics at the shows (though I really don't mind it, just don't enjoy it either)... so I just shrug that off all together because of how many other things that Pearl Jam does well.

And that's why it's easy to be critical of other great bands like Tool-- we're spoiled by PJ, and I fuckin love it.

Well said.

The vast majority of the stuff at Tool's website should be in the link section, meaning that if I wanted information about some obscure band playing somewhere I can check there. When I go to the main page of a band's website, I want to see something about the band and not have to sift through bullshit to get it.

I'd say they should post the transcript to the chat on the website but I don't have a PhD and CIA training to be able to decipher what they would post.
  • Options
    big tool lover right here.my fav album is opiate, but my fav song is PUSH IT!!!
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    The vast majority of the stuff at Tool's website should be in the link section, meaning that if I wanted information about some obscure band playing somewhere I can check there. When I go to the main page of a band's website, I want to see something about the band and not have to sift through bullshit to get it.

I'd say they should post the transcript to the chat on the website but I don't have a PhD and CIA training to be able to decipher what they would post.

A lot of the stuff on there is about Volto, which is Danny Carey's side band. Some of the other stuff is about some of the bands close friends. I do agree that some of it is pretty bad and useless. I do like thier monthly newsletters though...I don't see many other bands doing that, regardless of what's on it or not.

I don't know when a transcript is going to be posted...they said something about it in the last newsletter I think because they had some pictures of the band during the chat.
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:
    A lot of the stuff on there is about Volto, which is Danny Carey's side band. Some of the other stuff is about some of the bands close friends. I do agree that some of it is pretty bad and useless. I do like thier monthly newsletters though...I don't see many other bands doing that, regardless of what's on it or not.

I don't know when a transcript is going to be posted...they said something about it in the last newsletter I think because they had some pictures of the band during the chat.

Is it really cool to have a monthly newsletter if there is nothing interesting in it to any of your fans? I think that last newsletter had two sentences that interested me, as a Tool fan. Tell me how the recording is going, something!
  • Options
    Heard any news or rumors about new album release date? live DVD release date?
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Must join the love fest!!! TOOL is definitely on the top of my list as well...LOVE this band. I agree with you Highway Girl, Maynard indeed has the power to make you feel so much. He just reaches deep down in your soul and fuckin takes over. It's like a religious experience/spiritual awakening at times I swear. :o I'm not sure why, but APC has never really struck me.. I like some stuff but they just don't "get" me like TOOL does. I still think Maynard is one hell of a talented mother fucker in all he does though. But yeah...TOOL!!! This band is fuckin amazing. I agree with what many others have said, Ænima is a stand-out masterpiece. It's like a fuckin greatest hits or some shit. I remember getting UNDERTOW around the time it came out and loving it but for some reason I didn't really continue to follow the band. It wasn't until 2001 that someone exposed me to Ænima. This album completely changed me. I was officially IN LOVE. EVERY single song just owned me. I couldn't get over it and had been slappin myself for not "knowing" sooner. :p Hey...better late than never though. ;)

I also LOVED Lateralus. In no way did that one disappoint. Definitely an album that digs deep and one I listen to quite often. To this day Ticks & Leeches remains one of my most listened to songs by anyone. FUCKIN HELL I LOVE THAT SONG!

The words, Maynard's "I NEED YOU TO FEEL THIS" , super fierce emotion behind them. *chills* He just rips you apart! Every single emotion possible, the man delivers it and then some! All that combined with this mind-blowing music. :eek: Come on! These drums?! Drums & bass OWN! Absolutely , out of this world incredible guitar work OWNS too! Every single sound just stands out and compliments the emotion of the words and his voice so perfectly. Every band member is the master of their instrument and completely succeeds in transfering so much feeling. They rock you, but also connect deeply with you...make you think, make you feel. Seriously just so powerful on so many levels. Best of all worlds! Maynard's lyrics continue to drop my jaw. What a poet! The man has SUCH a gift! Songs to let some major aggression out to, songs to cry to, songs to relate to, songs to get completely and totally lost in....these JAMS?! :eek: Whew! This music is such a release. Yeah...this band just brings it in every way possible. And how about this NO QUARTER cover?!? :eek: Jesus!!!!! Sooooo insanely good! Can't praise this band enough.

I think it's pretty interesting too that most of the people I meet either LOVE them WAAAAAY intensely or don't really care about them/like them. I have yet to meet those that are inbetween or undecisive about them. Seems like most of the people that love them, LOOOOOOOOVE them!!! I love how intense people are about this band. I couldn't see it being any other way. If your in, you're IN.

This year is gonna be an AMAZING musical year and I must say, one of the albums/tours I'm looking forward to the most is TOOL. :D Can't wait!! And can't wait to finally experience this "holy experience" LIVE.

MUCH LOVE & PRAISE FOR ((TOOL))!!!!!!!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    Tool's shows are awesome.

Im in it for the music and spirit. I dont care what they do onstage.

Danny Carey is worth the price of the tickets alone.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    Dont Be Such A Tool
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

This song NEVER fails! Shit! Totally takes me away. These words?! Spiritual experience!

"Reaching out to embrace the random.Reaching out to embrace whatever may come." LOVE IT!!!!

I can't even imagine experiencing this one live. That break down towards the end....when the music starts to "spiral out"?!!? :eek: :o Perfect!

*SO MUCH LOVE FOR & bows down to*

*LATERALUS*

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
    Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
    Lets me see.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    Drawn beyond the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
    Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
    Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
    Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
    Lets me see there is so much more and
    Beckons me to look thru to these infinite possibilities.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    Drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
    Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind.
    Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
    Reaching out to embrace the random.
    Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my desire to
    I embrace my desire to
    Feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow
    To feel inspired to fathom the power, to witness the beauty,
    To bathe in the fountain,
    To swing on the spiral
    To swing on the spiral
    To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to
    Suck it in.
    I feel it move across my skin.
    I’m reaching up and reaching out. I’m reaching for the random or what ever will
    Bewilder me.
    What ever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind we may just go where no one’s been.
    We’ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one’s been.
    Spiral out. keep going.
    Spiral out. keep going.
    Spiral out. keep going.
    Spiral out. keep going.
    Spiral out. keep going.

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    Tool. What can I say? INFUCKINGCREDIBLE!!!!! This band is going to be the 2nd best band of 2006 easily (behind Pearl Jam of course). Their new album is gonna be so close to their last two!! Aenima was their best, but I think Lateralus came really really close!!! Undertow was really good, and Opiate was good for what it was, but their new one, it's gonna ROCK!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    i've been to one apc show, really sweet cause it was a small venue (the only concert i've been to that was that small a venue) and i was to go a second time, but maynard got sick and vancouver got cancelled.
    i have yet to see tool... Ahhhhhh i want to see them live so so, SO, badly.

this all reminds me that, ironically enough, i had a dream last night that maynard was in a music video with a cowboy hat driving in the desert... i'm not even kidding... haha.. it was weird.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam