Options

Direction of new album? Anyone not watching conan?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited May 2009 in The Porch
I dont think I listened to any of the leaked songs prior to the may 2 2006 release of avocado.

Anyone not going to watch conan and just hear the new album when it comes out in its entirety?

I dont know. I am of course super stoked for the new album, but in 2006 I was in such a different place. I was hyper political, the war and activism had taken a major toll on my life and my body. And Avocado was like a an entire album about my life, or about how other people chose to deal with modern society and war and a world that basically could care less about me or you.

Flash forward to 2009, I am the least political I have ever been. The war and modern society are still the banes of my existence but I dont sit around thinking about them 24/7 like i did in 2006

I have a hope this album wont be awash in Obama praise and worship. And I think the guys are better than that. They should be aware the war continues and society is still in ruins reguardless of the fact the guy in office has a different color skin than the last 40 odd guys who occupied the place.

Will this new album be "obama is here, yippie", or will it be as angry as Avocado was?

To have an entire album feel like it is written about us, whether thats avocado or Born to Run or Funeral is rare, but its the greatest rush i have ever felt.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    I'll be watching for sure ! This isn't leaked its debuts :D
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I like absorbing one or two songs at a time. A whole album at once throws me off a little. I'd rather be a little familiar with it before I listen to it as a whole. Too much new music can be overwhelming on the brain.

Thats just me. I'll listen to whatever song I can get my hands on. Blackouts are for nerds.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    first time i ever heard better man was from a boot...i have no prob hearing a song live before i hear the studio version
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    first time i ever heard better man was from a boot...i have no prob hearing a song live before i hear the studio version

agree. Part of the ferver for boots in the early to mid 90's was to hear new songs. I can't wait to hear new pj and I've never bought into the holding out program.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm wrote:

agree. Part of the ferver for boots in the early to mid 90's was to hear new songs. I can't wait to hear new pj and I've never bought into the holding out program.

if you have a bootleg and "satan's bed" is titled "already in love" you know what we're talking about ;):mrgreen:
  • Options
    PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
    Will this new album be "obama is here, yippie", or will it be as angry as Avocado was?
    i don't think this album will be praising Obama, nor do i think there will be anger involved, i feel a very No Code/Yield vibe with a few ITW-esque songs in there...

i feel that back in '91 with Ten when Bush sr. was prez, we get these rebellious angst driven kids with their new music. then in the mid to late 90's when the economy was well off with Clinton, we get no code and yield...more relaxed songs...and then in the 00's we have bush jr., hence the last 3 records being fairly...rough, for lack of a better term...and now with Obama, the country seems to be in relief...so i'm feeling a very smooth, relaxed album, much like no code and yield...a few heavy songs perhaps getting out some last minute aggression from the previous administration, but that's it
  • Options
    YoullseeDragonsYoullseeDragons Posts: 2,118
    I remember watching SNL in 2006 and being BLOWN AWAY by hearing Severed Hand for the first time. Would not miss Conan for the oppertunity to be blown away again.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    I dont think I listened to any of the leaked songs prior to the may 2 2006 release of avocado.

Anyone not going to watch conan and just hear the new album when it comes out in its entirety?

I dont know. I am of course super stoked for the new album, but in 2006 I was in such a different place. I was hyper political, the war and activism had taken a major toll on my life and my body. And Avocado was like a an entire album about my life, or about how other people chose to deal with modern society and war and a world that basically could care less about me or you.

Flash forward to 2009, I am the least political I have ever been. The war and modern society are still the banes of my existence but I dont sit around thinking about them 24/7 like i did in 2006

I have a hope this album wont be awash in Obama praise and worship. And I think the guys are better than that. They should be aware the war continues and society is still in ruins reguardless of the fact the guy in office has a different color skin than the last 40 odd guys who occupied the place.

To have an entire album feel like it is written about us, whether thats avocado or Born to Run or Funeral is rare, but its the greatest rush i have ever felt.

God, I hope the new album isnt political. If so, I might get sick... Obama Bin Laden.... Gross...
  • Options
    darthvedder81darthvedder81 Posts: 688
    "Avocado" was angry? Other than WWS and it's reference to "the President" I found it to be refreshingly ambiguous and hardly a polemic. I was frankly expecting an album full of "Bushleaguers" which it mercifully was not. PJ is always at their best when addressing things universal and human--politics is a very small part of that.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    darthvedder81darthvedder81 Posts: 688
    i don't think this album will be praising Obama, nor do i think there will be anger involved, i feel a very No Code/Yield vibe with a few ITW-esque songs in there...

i feel that back in '91 with Ten when Bush sr. was prez, we get these rebellious angst driven kids with their new music. then in the mid to late 90's when the economy was well off with Clinton, we get no code and yield...more relaxed songs...and then in the 00's we have bush jr., hence the last 3 records being fairly...rough, for lack of a better term...and now with Obama, the country seems to be in relief...so i'm feeling a very smooth, relaxed album, much like no code and yield...a few heavy songs perhaps getting out some last minute aggression from the previous administration, but that's it

This is a joke right? You actually think the "vibe" of the albums is due to who the damn President is? I don't think you give the band enough credit here.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    i remeber hearing crapshoot rapture some time before the album came out :D:D
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965

hell no! i understand where your comin from but im dying to hear some new PJ!
    This is gonna keep me happy until we get a seattle show. I can't wait to hear the new songs!
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    The guys are playing new stuff!! why would you NOT want to listen to that???? That's some serious backwards logic!!

So many songs over the years have been played before album release....im looking forward. dont know what to expect really! i remember seeing WWS & severed hand debuted & thinking it was very "chord" heavy & full of guitars compared to the Riot Act stuff..

i wonder what we'll get...
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    from the article written that posted here it seems as if the band is coming with a different direction

""""From his May 18th entry: I’m sat in a PR’s hotel room at The Edgewater listening to the new Pearl Jam record - a release form I’ve just signed means that I can’t tell you the song titles, while it doesn’t even have a name yet. Yet what I can tell you, it’s that it’s ever, ever so punchy. Eddies vocals sound more honeyed than raspy and there’s a ballad stuck right in the middle that’s just him and a guitar, but is absolutely drenched in strings. There’s hardly any guitar leads either…"""""
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

I don't think who is in the White House as much an effect on the type of album PJ puts out that you think it does. It might affect a couple of very specific songs ... but I don't think if affects entire albums.

If you'll recall, Pearl Jam (or at least Ed) was no huge Clinton fan, either.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I once knew a guy who wanted to take in each Pearl Jam album at once, so he would avoid all early debuts, etc etc etc. I understand where he was coming from, although I'd never go in for his self-imposed fast.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

If there are any more recent PJ fans out there who are wondering what it was like "back in the day" my advice is to watch the hell out of Conan. I lived to catch the boys live on TV when I could. They debuted Not for You on SNL in 1994 and it was righteous. Don't miss out on the experience.

How often can you say that there was something on TV that you had to see?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I remember watching SNL in 2006 and being BLOWN AWAY by hearing Severed Hand for the first time. Would not miss Conan for the oppertunity to be blown away again.

Don't forget Letterman in 2000, when we all expected to hear the new single (NAIS) and got Grievance.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    part of the things I miss from the 90's was the songs that were played live before they were released. we got to see them mature and develop and change by the time the album was cut. I mean, there are certain songs and specific concerts that are historic to die hard fans like the original Immortality, Lukin, Red Mosquito as well as the others mentioned here such as NFY on SNL, Betterman & Satan's Bed from the Atlanta 94 show etc. Hearing these songs before the album in their new form is what makes these boots and times stand out and remembered forever. Hopefully an appearance on Conan adds more for us to remember
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

I don't think who is in the White House as much an effect on the type of album PJ puts out that you think it does. It might affect a couple of very specific songs ... but I don't think if affects entire albums.

If you'll recall, Pearl Jam (or at least Ed) was no huge Clinton fan, either.

Don't forget that PJ's worst 3 albums were all released on Bush's watch, so having them angry at a president doesn't seem to make for very good tunes.

In any event, the OP has been around here for years and EVERYTHING is political for him.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

if you have a bootleg and "satan's bed" is titled "already in love" you know what we're talking about ;):mrgreen:
    guess i know what im talkin about

ill be watchin for sure 8-)
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I won't watch it when it airs but only because I don't have cable and can't watch it - but I'll watch online afterwards
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    norm wrote:
    exactly! I'll take live before a album any day
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest