me rascando pompis...
krap mijn reet...
boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
bahrosh teezy...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    Hmm.......not sure. Can't remember reading about Jesus having a "smoke in a tree" :)
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    There is some symbolism there, I think. But don't forget, he also

made it to the ocean and

had a smoke in a tree. :D

lol...ozjam and I just said the same thing at the same time.
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    There is some symbolism there, I think. But don't forget, he also

made it to the ocean and

had a smoke in a tree. :D

lol...ozjam and I just said the same thing at the same time.

Well, you know what they say about great minds :D
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    Well, you know what they say about great minds :D

most excellent. :)
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    given to fly is about a super surfer! "arms wide open, with the sea as his floor"....
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    it almost sounds like Eddie is talking about himself like he was Christlike. Especially when he says "We still stand!!!!"
  • Options
    robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    suns rival wrote:
    is GTF about jesus christ?
    No
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    only if you wan't it to be....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    Jesus flew? He's a strange spot in the sky?
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    I've heard and thought that before and I think there is some symbolism there. I remember hearing in one of my bootlegs him saying "this song was originally called Given To Die"...but as always the beauty of PJ and Ed's lyrics is it's what you make of it.
    the sun has set, the sun will rise another day....
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    i think it is, but also think it is about ed finding himself after leaving chicago and seeing the ocean.

my 2 cents
    one love

respect
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,479
    Its not about Jesus.

Oye ve.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Its not about Jesus.

Oye ve.

correct. not about Jesus. i would suggest reading some of his views on christianity, but i think your head would explode. i guess listening to marker in the sand would be easier...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    NewJPage wrote:
    correct. not about Jesus. i would suggest reading some of his views on christianity, but i think your head would explode. i guess listening to marker in the sand would be easier...

what's it about?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    made to the ocean had a smoke in a tree
    the wind rose up set him down on his knees
    Wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ,arms wide open with the sea as his floor delivered him wings yeah look at soar he's flying

THATS ABOUT SURFING
    jesus didnt surf either
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    what's it about?

enlightenment, drug use, breaking free of the shackles of who knows what. etc. i don't know exactly what the song is about, but its not about Jesus. If you, or anyone, wants to see it that way and use it for inspiration or whatever, no big deal...that's what music is for, but I have seen Christians refer to a huge variety of songs being about Jesus, and I just don't see ed writing songs about something he doesn't believe in. spirituality, yes...Jesus, no.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Weed, dude. Weed.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    made to the ocean had a smoke in a tree
    the wind rose up set him down on his knees
    Wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw , delivered him wings yeah look at soar he's flying
    THATS ABOUT SURFING
    jesus didnt surf either

Of course Ed is talking about himself - SURFING! (and I think the "strange spot in the sky" refers to literally flying, in an airplane)...

When I paddle surfed for the first time a couple of weeks ago, GTF certainly fit the bill - especially "a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw"....and the rest of the song!!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Of course Ed is talking about himself - SURFING! (and I think the "strange spot in the sky" refers to literally flying, in an airplane)...

When I paddle surfed for the first time a couple of weeks ago, GTF certainly fit the bill - especially "a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw"....and the rest of the song!!

yeah, i can see that...but there is something about breaking free in the song...maybe surfing as an engine for release, or whatnot...
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    and I just don't see ed writing songs about something he doesn't believe in. spirituality, yes...Jesus, no.

Only Eddie Vedder knows what this song is about, and only Eddie Vedder can tell us what Eddie Vedder believes in an does not believe in.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Maybe muhammad and buddah too,? Hey wasnt that a line in a song?
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    suns rival wrote:
    But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed
    By faceless men, well, fuckers
    He still stands

And he still gives his love, he just gives it away
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
    A human being that was given to fly

High.. flying
    Oh, oh
    High.. flying
    Oh, oh
    He's flying
    Oh, oh

A couple of problems with this interpretation. The Romans weren't "faceless" when they nailed JC up and he wasn't still standing....more like just hanging around......oh crap here come the thunderbolt.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    Dear The Porch,

If any of you would like to make a million dollars, here is a free idea:

JESUS WAS A SURFER

You could put it on t-shirts, surfboards, coffee mugs, pretty much anything. Maybe with a nice drawing of his bearded funkiness riding some big waves or something (or if you want to be really gross, put a crucified Jesus on a surfboard... maybe not in agony, but just all blissed out and happy, riding the big waves).

JESUS WAS A SURFER

You're welcome.

Love,

The little voice in my head that makes me post stuff like this.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    NewJPage wrote:
    yeah, i can see that...but there is something about breaking free in the song...maybe surfing as an engine for release, or whatnot...

It's an awesome feeling, that's for sure! The song totally captures the feeling of waiting for the right wave, the thrill of catching a wave, and the "afterglow" you feel after the thrill. Simply exhillarating! I think breaking free is correct because it's so liberating being in the ocean, and man, you just want to tell everyone about your experience and how much you love communing with nature in that dramatic, yet calming, way....That's the key that unlocks the chains we see everywhere...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    willtupper wrote:
    Dear The Porch,

If any of you would like to make a million dollars, here is a free idea:

JESUS WAS A SURFER

You could put it on t-shirts, surfboards, coffee mugs, pretty much anything. Maybe with a nice drawing of his bearded funkiness riding some big waves or something (or if you want to be really gross, put a crucified Jesus on a surfboard... maybe not in agony, but just all blissed out and happy, riding the big waves).

JESUS WAS A SURFER

You're welcome.

Love,

The little voice in my head that makes me post stuff like this.

This cracked me up. One suggestion though. I think Jesus should be riding a cross instead of a surfboard.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    This is what Ed said about Given to Fly:

"[I imagined the song as] a 20-page cardboard (children's) book with a line on each page and a picture to go with it. It's a fable, that's all. The music almost gives you this feeling of flight, and I really love singing the part at the end, which is all about rising above anybody's comments about what you do and still giving your love away. You know? Not becoming bitter and reclusive, not condemning the whole world because of the actions of a few."

Source: http://pearljamhistory.no.sapo.pt/PJArticles_Interviews_02-08-98_-_philadelphia_inquirer.htm
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    NewJPage wrote:
    enlightenment, drug use, breaking free of the shackles of who knows what. etc. i don't know exactly what the song is about, but its not about Jesus. If you, or anyone, wants to see it that way and use it for inspiration or whatever, no big deal...that's what music is for, but I have seen Christians refer to a huge variety of songs being about Jesus, and I just don't see ed writing songs about something he doesn't believe in. spirituality, yes...Jesus, no.

i would never have come up this interpretation myself.

i found it interesting when i first read ones interpretation on theskyiscrape.

personally, each Pearl Jam song is about whatever i want it to be about

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    suns rival wrote:
    But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed
    By faceless men, well, fuckers
    He still stands

And he still gives his love, he just gives it away
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
    A human being that was given to fly

High.. flying
    Oh, oh
    High.. flying
    Oh, oh
    He's flying
    Oh, oh

U know, a ew days ago i wanted to ask U about the same... I'm almost sure it's about Jesus. Anyway - i wish it was
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    NewJPage wrote:
    Well... it's strange for me, how U interpret "Marker in the sand" - there's nothing wrong about christianity, only about people who cover their greed by religion.

Anyway, as i wrote before, it could be (GTF) really good song about Jesus. Who knows... maybe He was a surfer - when He walked on the water, but people in that time didn't know how to call it?
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I've always thought it referenced a lot of the life of Timothy Leary. I wish I could find the breakdown I did a couple years back when this came up....

..."coulda tuned in, tuned in, but he tuned out" is pretty much a direct reference....

Also Leary had some of his remains (head? can't remember) jettisoned into space after his death, so that could reference the strange spot in the sky....and we all know Timothy Leary loved to "fly"....there's more, but I don't have time to get type it all out right now.