Options

is GTF about jesus christ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Alessiana wrote:

Eh, forgive the humor. I just got very good news off board on something so it's all good. Funny how fast a person can go from feeling good, to horrified, to joy in a few minutes. Is that what we live for?

Ya... I think that's called life - enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Ya... I think that's called life - enjoy the ride.

I can deal as long as people are a-ok. So yeah, I'll hang on.

: )

Thanks!

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    This thread makes me laugh. It isn't Jesus because Jesus didn't surf..hahaha..:D I guess you haven't seen The Man from Earth (great movie)?!?!
    If you ask me..the answer is NO...but I always like to read people's interpretations so don't let that stop you ;)
    Anyway..I believe everyone has it's own interpretation..it would have stayed that way but then some take over interpretations of others..don't know why..others don't have any more credibility..It's the same is science..you just believe someone that you think knows better..I think there is a french term for that "le susjet suppose savoir" - subject that is supposed to know)..It is really a question of how many do you really know and how many (almost everything!) you actually believe? Damn I'm off-topic again....
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    Stereotype wrote:
    This thread makes me laugh. It isn't Jesus because Jesus didn't surf..hahaha..:D I guess you haven't seen The Man from Earth (great movie)?!?!
    If you ask me..the answer is NO...but I always like to read people's interpretations so don't let that stop you ;)
    Anyway..I believe everyone has it's own interpretation..it would have stayed that way but then some take over interpretations of others..don't know why..others don't have any more credibility..It's the same is science..you just believe someone that you think knows better..I think there is a french term for that "le susjet suppose savoir" - subject that is supposed to know)..It is really a question of how many do you really know and how many (almost everything!) you actually believe? Damn I'm off-topic again....

Well as Will says....

We could make tee-shirts.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    worlieworlie Posts: 64
    Myself, I like the more literal translation.

It's about a guy. He was an outcast.

He was on a beach. In a tree (palm?).

Wind rose up and he started flying.

Tried to teach others to fly, got beat up.

Continues to fly, doesnt let others bring him down.

Also, Ed wasnt born Jewish. His mom was Baptist.
    i knelt and emptied the mouth of every PUG around...

7/5/98 dallas, 10/14/00 houston, 10/15/00 houston, 10/17/00 dallas, 4/5/03 san antonio, 4/6/03 houston, 6/9/03 dallas, 10/8/04 kissimmee
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    worlie wrote:
    Also, Ed wasnt born Jewish. His mom was Baptist.

I sincerely hope you guys are joking about this. This subject is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS....and who really gives a crap? And if we do, we shouldn't. It's what YOU believe that's important. Yikes...

As many have said, if you believe that GTF is about Jesus, then it's about Jesus - if you believe it's about surfing, then it's about surfing...

And now....I am done with this thread...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    Weed.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I just found this quote on wikipedia....

Eddie Vedder about "Given to Fly":

“ [I imagined the song as] a 20-page cardboard (children's) book with a line on each page and a picture to go with it. It's a fable, that's all. The music almost gives you this feeling of flight, and I really love singing the part at the end, which is all about rising above anybody's comments about what you do and still giving your love away. You know? Not becoming bitter and reclusive, not condemning the whole world because of the actions of a few.[1] ”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Given_to_Fly
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    Smoke in a tree--- The cross was made of wood, a tree. Jesus got "smoked" there, I guess

Sea as his floor--- He walked on water

Arms wide open--- I always imagined this is what he looked like when He did His miracles. Or, his arms were open on the cross

Strange spot in the sky, human being given to fly--- After he rose from the dead, He flew up to Heaven 40 days later (I think)

First he was stripped, then he was stabbed--- Yup, Jesus was stabbed in his side after being stripped and beaten and hung

By a faceless man well fuckers, he still stands--- The soldier that stabbed Him was faceless. In fact the people that voted Him to be crucified were all faceless in a sense. And yeah, He still stands. He rose from the dead

The love he receives is the love that is saved--- Um, that is Christianity

If Ed did intend this song to be about Jesus, I don't think he'd ever come out and say it. His wikipedia quote is vague enough that it could be about whatever you want it to be. Music should be open to anyone's interpretation, and that's what makes music beautiful. Personally, I see a much more convincing argument for this song being about Jesus than about surfing. But then again, I'm biased.
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    Smoke in a tree--- The cross was made of wood, a tree. Jesus got "smoked" there, I guess

Sea as his floor--- He walked on water

Arms wide open--- I always imagined this is what he looked like when He did His miracles. Or, his arms were open on the cross

Strange spot in the sky, human being given to fly--- After he rose from the dead, He flew up to Heaven 40 days later (I think)

First he was stripped, then he was stabbed--- Yup, Jesus was stabbed in his side after being stripped and beaten and hung

By a faceless man well fuckers, he still stands--- The soldier that stabbed Him was faceless. In fact the people that voted Him to be crucified were all faceless in a sense. And yeah, He still stands. He rose from the dead

The love he receives is the love that is saved--- Um, that is Christianity

If Ed did intend this song to be about Jesus, I don't think he'd ever come out and say it. His wikipedia quote is vague enough that it could be about whatever you want it to be. Music should be open to anyone's interpretation, and that's what makes music beautiful. Personally, I see a much more convincing argument for this song being about Jesus than about surfing. But then again, I'm biased.

That's actually pretty good, nice interpretation.

Not sure what the song truly about but then again i was'nt aware that Eddie has gone on record saying that he "does not believe in religion or Jesus" as many here have said. If that's the case then you would have to say that it is unlikely that the song is about Jesus.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I always thought it was about a guy who did drugs for the first time, got all sorts of revelations, and decided to sell it (or just give it away I guess, I always figured you can interchange the words love and drugs here). He got held down by the fuzz for his "dealing." However, the fuzz can never hold back this guy and his friends from smoking their beloved weed.

Not everything has some greater meaning behind it.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    I wouldn't say solely about Jesus. Ed has said many times that he's not the type of writer that can sit down and write a song about one subject. That he pretty much pulls similar circumstances together to make one story. So it could partially be about him. But I really doubt the whole thing is.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • Options
    Religious people find Jesus in cheese sandwiches
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    Religious people find Jesus in cheese sandwiches

That may be what they think but I know for a fact he's hiding in my room, under the bed. I keep losing things in my room. Jesus Christ, why can't I find them? Well, that the reason.

ps. i do not mean to offend anyone's religious sensibilities because Jesus is hiding under my bed. it's just one of those things... he takes things. Jesus, it's not my fault.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    Given to Fly is definately NOT about jesus but it does have a lot of jesus vibe to it.

i could see fucking Creed covering this song , in that vague we-are-not-admitting-we-are-christian-rock-but-we-are way. they wouldnt have to change much, if any.

then i would cry.