Options

Just the facts please.... Israel/Lebanon

Comments

• Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    NMyTree wrote:
    Then, I don't believe you know much.

Right off the bat you are inaccurate in the number of soldiers Hezbollah kidnapped.

And your version is barely the whole story or what really has been going on.

I'm not trying to defend Israel, but you're rather biased in your perspective and quite misleading.

But what else is to be expected from you.

All of these things happened....it was a chronological listing of events, in a way, though I didn't mention that Hezbollah has taken a more prisoners of war since the intial attack.

But you're last line-most of your post actually-leaves me scratching my head...especially given the thread title.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I pray we will never have to find out!

Well at least we can agree on that.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    How is Israel not acting rational? Isn't it in one's self interest to maintain their right to exist? They are acting in an effort to achieve those ends so it appears to me, that they are completely rational. I won't comment on the "better man" point other than it's pretty embarrassing.

How is waging war with one of the most modern miltary forces in the world on some very poor and opressed palestinains rational? What logic is there in that move, if not to conquer and control?
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    mammasan wrote:
    I realize that this is an issue that has been ongoing for decades, but that still doesn't change the possible outcomes. Nothing good will come of further attacks on civilian (non-Hizbollah) targets in Lebanon or an attack on Syria. By doing so Israel would simply be adding more powder to a keg that is on the verge of exploding.

I know that Israel is not the only party involved but they have to be the rational one's. We know that Syria and Iran will not so unfortunely for Israel it falls on their shoulders to be the better man.

This isnt tiddlywinks. Its not an arument over a girl. There is no "being the bigger man" here.Thats for playground arguments. Unless you mean the one with the bigger guns. Since you acknowledge that neither Syria, nor Iran can or will be "the rational ones"...what is Israel to do? Should they reason with unreasonable men? Should they try to use logic on illogical men? Should they debate with men who refuse debate? Should they???? How exactly do you negotiate or debate or get anywhere with irrational nations???
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    This isnt tiddlywinks. Its not an arument over a girl. There is no "being the bigger man" here.Thats for playground arguments. Unless you mean the one with the bigger guns. Since you acknowledge that neither Syria, nor Iran can or will be "the rational ones"...what is Israel to do? Should they reason with unreasonable men? Should they try to use logic on illogical men? Should they debate with men who refuse debate? Should they???? How exactly do you negotiate or debate or get anywhere with irrational nations???

Bias aside....How would they know? They haven't even tried.
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Commy wrote:
    Bias aside....How would they know? They haven't even tried.

Bias aside.................can you give a small fraction of an answer? How do you negotiate with madmen? How do you reason with unreasonable men?

And wasn't leaving Gaza a pretty good attempt at placating them? Worked out well so far hasnt it. Next you'll say if we ever find Bin Laden, we should just talk, and not rile up the animals in Al Queda. Sigh.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656

Shit it's not about a girl. Here I thought this was about Hassan Nasrallah passing love notes to Olmert's girlfriend in study hall. Thanks for clueing me in on the severity of the situation.

I don't really know how to negotiate with irrational leaders, but I do know that escalating this military conflict is not the answer.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Commy wrote:
    All of these things happened....it was a chronological listing of events, in a way, though I didn't mention that Hezbollah has taken a more prisoners of war since the intial attack.

But you're last line-most of your post actually-leaves me scratching my head...especially given the thread title.

Simply, it was inaccurate and heavily tipped against Israel. You made it a point to tip the scales and make Israel out to be the sole villans in all this.

My last line?

You're not an objective person. You're posts routinely tip in one direction...and one direction only. You hardly ever point out fault any where else but the US and Israel. You're really no different than Miller, except, you tip the scales to the opposite side.

The problems in the Middle East have been going on for so very long. All parties are guilty of ......everything. What started this recent eruption of violence was not started just this week. You'd have to be sadly short-sighted, ill-informed or simply biased to believe so.

Whether you believe me or not, I'm really not trying to get personal or insult you. I'm speaking of your posting habits and the content of your posts.

I just wanted it all to end. I'm sick of this Middle East crap and all the men, women and children being killed, from all sides.

But I know that all sides involved here have been clawing and biting at each other, for quite some time. They 've been chipping away and throwing jabs. Finally, the boxers started throwing haymakers.

Pointing fingers and taking sides is what they want us to do. They want us to get ourselves all riled up.

We need to keep our eyes open and pay attention, because the next few days and the next two weeks will be important. Especailly, we need to keep an eye on our slimey administration and what they are doing, during this time. Those weasels are likely to try and pull one past us.
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Loved the last paragraph of that post. To be honest, I haven't been around long enough to judge anyone, but I do think if we all keep a level head we may actually learn something new. Even if we don't agree, maybe we'll atleast understand things in a new light.
  • Options
    How is Israel not acting rational? Isn't it in one's self interest to maintain their right to exist? They are acting in an effort to achieve those ends so it appears to me, that they are completely rational. I won't comment on the "better man" point other than it's pretty embarrassing.

Israel does have a right to defend its borders. But it is difficult for an impartial observer to differentiate between Hezbollah attacks on Israeli border towns, and Israeli warplanes damaging residential buildings in the country of a nominally sympathetic regime. Both kill women and children.

Israeli leadership (and most of the neo-cons) behaves as if and actually seems to believe that the ultimate purpose of terrorism is some form of millitary conquest. Were a terrorist grouping be capable of holding ground it would not be terrorist.

The goal of terrorism is to provoke overreaction against the moderate base. This radicalizes the moderates until moderate becomes the minority. External forces become alienated or even hostile to the dominant power.

The slaughter of noncombatants leads the surviving friends and family to take up jihad against the west/Israel. The terror equation is simple: for every westerner/jew killed, ten non-combatant arabs are killed. Their families become at best sympathizers, at worst jihadis ready to kill more westerners and the cycle begins anew. In addition, the wider muslim world sees the atrocities commited against its own side and a steady pool of recruits begins to flow from the wider world. While we are thinking in terms of months, they are thinking in decades.

This process is increasing exponentially throughout the Islamic world.

What is really needed is people who actually know how to fight terrorism: to be tough on terrorism and also tough on the underlying causes of terrorism.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    Simply, it was inaccurate and heavily tipped against Israel. You made it a point to tip the scales and make Israel out to be the sole villans in all this.
    for the last 10 years the ratio of palestinian civilian casualties to Israeli has been 5 to 1. I'm not being one sided here...Israel has been more aggresive towards the palestinians. That's just reality...the facts support that statement. They have the most powerful military in the world giving them $2 billion in military aid every year...and they use it.
    You're not an objective person. You're posts routinely tip in one direction...and one direction only. You hardly ever point out fault any where else but the US and Israel. You're really no different than Miller, except, you tip the scales to the opposite side.
    thanks for that personal critique, it really means a lot to me.
    The problems in the Middle East have been going on for so very long. All parties are guilty of ......everything. What started this recent eruption of violence was not started just this week. You'd have to be sadly short-sighted, ill-informed or simply biased to believe so.
    the ratio of palestinian to israeli casualties used to be 50 to 1...When Israel attacks they kill without remorse...they are a military might in the region and they've been consistantly trying to oppress and control the palestinian people. This is evident in every so called peace proposal that Israel has offered, every military move Israel has launched, and when they built the fence-and so on and so on.
    Whether you believe me or not, I'm really not trying to get personal or insult you. I'm speaking of your posting habits and the content of your posts.
    Again, thanks for the personal critique.
    I just wanted it all to end. I'm sick of this Middle East crap and all the men, women and children being killed, from all sides.
    For it to end Israel really needs to step up and offer the Palestinians a state, an equal status, and they need to stop taking their land.
    But I know that all sides involved here have been clawing and biting at each other, for quite some time. They 've been chipping away and throwing jabs. Finally, the boxers started throwing haymakers.
    The boxers haven't been holding their punchesl...67, 72, 80, 90's, into 2000, Israel has pursued a consistant aggressive policy towards the palestinians.
    Pointing fingers and taking sides is what they want us to do. They want us to get ourselves all riled up.
    well alright.
    We need to keep our eyes open and pay attention, because the next few days and the next two weeks will be important. Especailly, we need to keep an eye on our slimey administration and what they are doing, during this time. Those weasels are likely to try and pull one past us.
    I agree, they are weasles. They've been pulling one past us for decades now...and with $2 billion a year in military aid to Israel its really quite obvious that the Israelis are the aggressors now, have been in the past, and will continue to pursue their constant policy towards the Palestinians unless we force our leaders to put an end to it all. It really is up to the US authority, they can end this violence at any time...and it starts by treating the palestinian people with respect and by giving them a state worth something. Israel has all the prime agriculture lands, most of the access to the good water supplies, all the pristine land...its give and take, Israel must cede some land here, and the Palestinians must be willing to accept a peaceful offer-if it truly recognizes their previous borders and does not separate them-unlike past peace offers-Oslo to name one. Notice you never see maps of these "peace offers" that the 'evil' palestinians turn down. If you did you'd laugh at how rediculous they really were.
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    mammasan wrote:
    Shit it's not about a girl. Here I thought this was about Hassan Nasrallah passing love notes to Olmert's girlfriend in study hall. Thanks for clueing me in on the severity of the situation.
    excellent exchange of wit: good comeback....;)
    don't really know how to negotiate with irrational leaders, but I do know that escalating this military conflict is not the answer.
    mamasan, did i ever apologize for coming on so strongly last spring? i'm sorry; i was clueless. but i wanna say...on this note, i have to agree with you...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    Yes, I'm mortified to see "INNOCENT" civilians killed in ANY conflict/war but unfortunately this thing happens in war.
    this is something that you say just because you've never been ina war. Ah: there's also intelligent people that don't say that and have never been to war. You're not in the class of intelligent people, anyway.
    Sorry for putting opinions in this thread, back to facts now :)
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Commy wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/12/mideast/index.html
    http://www.examiner.com/a-161753~Israeli_Planes_Attack_3_Gazaa_Bridges.html

What we know....

Israel has been holding hundreds of Palestinian prisoners-including women and children, for many years.

Hezbollah kidnapped 1 Israeli soldier-to use in a prisoner exchange.

Israel then started a major offensive on Gaza, that has affected tens of thousands of residents, and they seem to be intesifying their assault.

Israel has bombed at least 3 bridges in Gaza-very damaging to a very poor people.

Israel has bombed the Palestinian Airport, a civilian target, grounding all aircraft.

Israel has bombed the power supply for much of Gaza, leaving resident without electricity.

Israel has killed at least 60 innocent civilians as of yesterday, and the palestinains are responsible for around 12 inncocent Israeli civilians.

All of this has been done with tacit support from Washington, as well as with miltary hardware and intel.

It's no use, see how early this thing turned in to personal views? there is no objective truth, it's all on the way you interperet it, this list is Biased from the start. Believe what you want to believe, the world will stay a sad place to live in with so much ignorance.
    I'm really sad, you simply will never know what it's like for ANYONE to be born and raised in the Middle East...
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    Puck78 wrote:
    this is something that you say just because you've never been ina war. Ah: there's also intelligent people that don't say that and have never been to war. You're not in the class of intelligent people, anyway.
    Sorry for putting opinions in this thread, back to facts now :)

I've never been in a war??? HAHAHAHAH. ooooooookkkkkkkk. If you say so! Glad you know my background!

Btw... Get away from name calling, might take you more serious. For the record, get your facts STRAIGHT when you say someone has or hasn't been in a war without you even knowing them.

Thank you!
  • Options
    sloanedonesloanedone Posts: 19
    OneLove wrote:
    Ok folks, lets try to put our personal opinions aside for a moment.

For those of us interested in reading up on the subject, could anyone provide some resources on the net that are reasonably unbiased?

Perhaps we can all learn something new here. Personally, most of what I know I learned watching American news. I can see giant holes in their "truth", as with most subjects.

I have to admit, I feel like a stupid American right now. I'd rather learn as much as I can then spout off my personal feelings, as I sit comfortably on my couch here in the US. Seems like to easy a place to be sitting and making grandeous statements about what should be done or not done.

Frankly, you sound like a "stupid American." Why would you ask for sources of information on THE messiest conflict of our time from a message board stacked with mostly one-sided (in this case, leftist) views? That's not to say the people who suggested CS Monitor, History Channel, and other sources weren't right, but when you ask random people for sources, you're bound to get plenty of biased sources -- in this case from both the left and the right.

Nobody can lie to you if you search out both sides of the argument and make your own decisions.
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    sloanedone wrote:
    Frankly, you sound like a "stupid American." Why would you ask for sources of information on THE messiest conflict of our time from a message board stacked with mostly one-sided (in this case, leftist) views? That's not to say the people who suggested CS Monitor, History Channel, and other sources weren't right, but when you ask random people for sources, you're bound to get plenty of biased sources -- in this case from both the left and the right.

Nobody can lie to you if you search out both sides of the argument and make your own decisions.

For one, your post is way off base. You make an assumption that I am not capable of sensing a bias in what is by nature a very passionate and devisive debate.

Give people on the board a tiny amount of credit. There are some folks on the board who feel passionately, and who know what they are talking about (on both sides). There are also folks who seem to use the board as a way to badger folks into falling to one side or the other. The difference between the two is apparent.

I believe the truely "Stupid American" thing to do would be to go spouting off about my opinions on the matter when I realize that I have more exploring to do on the subject. I could go off, half cocked, and based on whats cool to say around here, or just to be an antagonist, but instead I would rather educate myself.

Most of the threads on this particular subject have been centered around a relatively few members reactions to events. I hadn't seen any links posted for folks to get at any sort of historical facts, or present factual information. I would argue that nearly all information on the subject is biased. Perhaps there are other folks here who, like myself would like to understand the conflict better, rather than jumping on spirited debates where folks clearly have set opinions.
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:
    It's no use, see how early this thing turned in to personal views? there is no objective truth, it's all on the way you interperet it, this list is Biased from the start. Believe what you want to believe, the world will stay a sad place to live in with so much ignorance.
    I'm really sad, you simply will never know what it's like for ANYONE to be born and raised in the Middle East...

Facts are what they are...they aren't opinions, they are not open for debate, they are simply facts. Like Reagan said, "facts are annoying things". Or maybe it was Bush I. When they don't fit a person's view of reality they tend to dismiss them. And if you don't like what took place that's fine, but these things did happen. Right? Can you deny that these events took place? Was I wrong in any event that I described? Have I made any ANY false statements?
  • Options
    Bias aside.................can you give a small fraction of an answer? How do you negotiate with madmen? How do you reason with unreasonable men?

And wasn't leaving Gaza a pretty good attempt at placating them? Worked out well so far hasnt it. Next you'll say if we ever find Bin Laden, we should just talk, and not rile up the animals in Al Queda. Sigh.

Obviously you haven't set your bias aside, as you describe these human beings as madmen.

And by the way-they've returned to Gaza, with an army.
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:

As Noam Chomsky puts it-who's mother is Jewish, called by the New York Times "...the most important intellectual alive,"-

Gaza, itself, the latest phase, began on June 24. It was when Israel abducted two Gaza civilians, a doctor and his brother. We don't know their names. You don't know the names of victims. They were taken to Israel, presumably, and nobody knows their fate. The next day, something happened, which we do know about, a lot. Militants in Gaza, probably Islamic Jihad, abducted an Israeli soldier across the border. That's Corporal Gilad Shalit. And that's well known; first abduction is not. Then followed the escalation of Israeli attacks on Gaza, which I don't have to repeat. It's reported on adequately.

That's how it started, that's simply reality.
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    OneLove wrote:
    Loved the last paragraph of that post. To be honest, I haven't been around long enough to judge anyone, but I do think if we all keep a level head we may actually learn something new. Even if we don't agree, maybe we'll atleast understand things in a new light.

Did you catch yesterday on TV when Harper and Blair met with the Queen?

I dunno, but I was getting some really creepy vibes from all three of them. I caught it a few times and each time I watched it got worse. They all looked really uncomfortable and nervous.

It also looked very staged and contrived. Harper looked somewhat ashamed, as did Blair, and the Queen didn't know what to do with herself. The body language, the eyes, facial expressions, tone of voice.

I've can't recall ever seeing them act like that before. I dare say they seemed to display guilty conscience.
  • Options
    sloanedonesloanedone Posts: 19
    OneLove wrote:
    For one, your post is way off base. You make an assumption that I am not capable of sensing a bias in what is by nature a very passionate and devisive debate.

While I wouldn't have put it that harshly, from my initial post it seemed like you were an empty vessel wanting to get filled up with knowledge. I don't know you, but it seems that the first assumption was wrong so I apologize.
    OneLove wrote:
    Give people on the board a tiny amount of credit. There are some folks on the board who feel passionately, and who know what they are talking about (on both sides). There are also folks who seem to use the board as a way to badger folks into falling to one side or the other. The difference between the two is apparent.

I believe the truely "Stupid American" thing to do would be to go spouting off about my opinions on the matter when I realize that I have more exploring to do on the subject. I could go off, half cocked, and based on whats cool to say around here, or just to be an antagonist, but instead I would rather educate myself.

Most of the threads on this particular subject have been centered around a relatively few members reactions to events. I hadn't seen any links posted for folks to get at any sort of historical facts, or present factual information. I would argue that nearly all information on the subject is biased. Perhaps there are other folks here who, like myself would like to understand the conflict better, rather than jumping on spirited debates where folks clearly have set opinions.

This was my point. You post to a PJ board looking for info on the Middle East and every other guy is going to trot out Chomsky, who is NOT a historian and has -- as any liberal will attest to -- a HUMONGOUS LEFT WING BIAS. Nobody is going to give you objective facts here -- that's the whole point of my post. Go search out the facts yourself.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Commy wrote:
    Facts are what they are...they aren't opinions, they are not open for debate, they are simply facts. Like Reagan said, "facts are annoying things". Or maybe it was Bush I. When they don't fit a person's view of reality they tend to dismiss them. And if you don't like what took place that's fine, but these things did happen. Right? Can you deny that these events took place? Was I wrong in any event that I described? Have I made any ANY false statements?

Sure, you can tell a list of facts and drop out others, conveniently.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    einatshaul wrote:
    Sure, you can tell a list of facts and drop out others, conveniently.
    I'm literally unaware of all the issues here. Could you please say what facts he is dropping out?
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the links, Byrnzie.

einatshaul, I'm still interested in hearing your perspective, and what you have to add that you feel would provide balance to the information Commy has posted. You mentioned Commy dropping out facts. I'd be interested in what facts you refer to.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    mammasan wrote:

I don't really know how to negotiate with irrational leaders, but I do know that escalating this military conflict is not the answer.

According to the branch of psychology that is about putting and end to power abuses and imbalances you have hit the nail on the head, mammasan.

Escalation guarantees conflict to continue. Submission does not work either. The solutions lie in the "antithesis":

"Instead, if we don’t want to escalate or submit, we can use an antithesis; a tactical procedure that is used to neutralize (instead of escalating) a power play. The antithesis is a form of verbal martial art which, like Aikido, teaches only defense and knows of no offensive moves."
    http://www.claudesteiner.com/osp2.htm

At this point in time, humans choose to go for win/lose, or dominance/submission, etc, and thereby guarantee perpetuation of the cycles.

When we begin to focus on resolution, we will find resolution. In the interim, as long as we avoid our own repressed emotional issues, and blame our emotional lack of skill on someone else, we'll continue to blind ourselves to the solutions we have complete power of.

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

You make plenty of comments with no basis in reality and with no reference to the facts. You claim that Syria, and Iran are 'irrational'. What a ridiculous statement! Can you please explain what an 'irrational nation' is? And does Israel not qualify as an irrational nation in your scheme of things? A country which is currently defying over 60 U.N resolutions. A country which is carrying out an illegal military occupation. A country which uses excessive force, and kills thousands of civilians every year, in the face of international law. Is Israel a 'rational' country in your estimation?
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Being "elected" in Iran is like the mass media saying Saddam won by a landslide in the the iraqi election. Secondly, This madman, and that is what he is, WILL wipe them off the map given time. He is simply a mad man

Looks like the media in America are doing a good job of appealing to gullible types like yourself. Yeah, the Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a madman. Ooh scary! Kim Jong II is also a madman. So was Sadaam after we spent years supporting him and supplying him weapons. So was Noriega after the U.S supported him for years up until he decided to take control of the Panama canal. So was Gadaffi until your government decided he was our friend again. Osama Bin Laden is also scary!! Oooh sooo scary. He was also our close friend for years whilst fighting the Russians in Afghanistan and until the U.S refused to remove it's bases in Saudi Arabia.
    Oh so many scary people all over the world!! Funny how the U.S always needs a scary enemy! And funny how the U.S media finds it so easy to reduce mugs like you to war fevered hysteria.
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Looks like the media in America are doing a good job of appealing to gullible types like yourself. Yeah, the Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a madman. Ooh scary! Kim Jong II is also a madman. So was Sadaam after we spent years supporting him and supplying him weapons. So was Noriega after the U.S supported him for years up until he decided to take control of the Panama canal. So was Gadaffi until your government decided he was our friend again. Osama Bin Laden is also scary!! Oooh sooo scary. He was also our close friend for years whilst fighting the Russians in Afghanistan and until the U.S refused to remove it's bases in Saudi Arabia.
    Oh so many scary people all over the world!! Funny how the U.S always needs a scary enemy! And funny how the U.S media finds it so easy to reduce mugs like you to war fevered hysteria.

I let NO media influence me and see things for what they are! It NEVER ceases to amaze me on here, that when one has a different view from the majority, one is labled "gullible", "mugs", (fill in many other tags here) and a ton of other cop outs. Good try on the gullible tag, but sorry to inform you, it DOES NOT APPLY HERE!

Btw... I pose this to you... Instead of wasting your deep thinking on name calling and labeling, what is YOUR solution to the problem? Mine has been stated before.