Options

Talking Heads- Stop makin sense

Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Oh my god........ what an amazing movie concert this is.

Only saw it recently. Im blown away!!

Highly recommend you check it out.

I only knew a handful of their songs but had to go out and
buy their "best of" cd.

The huge suit he wears on "Girlfriend is better".... Brilliant!!
Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
Lisbon '06 (x2)
Katowice '07
London '07 '09 (x2), '10
MSG NY '08 (x2)
Manchester '09 '12
Belfast '10
PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
Leeds '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    talking heads = 10/10 band
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Fantastic DVD/CD!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    listening to it at work right now. always a good choice.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    saw this movie when it came out in theaters and that is exactly the same show i saw live ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    When i was in highschool (94ish) my Drama teacher would occassionaly let us have "movie day" instead of acting or doing any productive work.

One week he was like, "I'm going to bring in a concert movie, and i encourage anyone else who want to bring in a vhs of their favorite band, and we will go through them over the next couple of sessions."

Of course, he started it off, and his choice was Stop Making Sense ... i remember it clearly, not because it was my first introduction to the Heads, but because i htought it was so cool he would let us watch rock and roll in highschool, and that he chose that video specificaly.

I think the next movies we watched were the Smashing Pumpkins Vieuphoria, followed by Primus Videoplasty ... after that, i can't remember. :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    this ain't no disco.....
  • Options
    Fantastic...
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    Can I put this here? I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r7X3f2gFz4

I love this one but I can't seem to get it to play. Maybe you'll have better luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjZ3TGbvdM
  • Options
    Can I put this here? I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r7X3f2gFz4

I love this one but I can't seem to get it to play. Maybe you'll have better luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjZ3TGbvdM

Yeah they both work for me.

I bought the dvd last week for about 11Euro.

I guess we shouldn't underestimate our parents taste in music
    afterall!! ha ha
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Loved the suit!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    Seeing this tonight at the local indie movie theater. Never even knew they made a concert movie. I was never a huge Heads fan, only know a handful of their songs. Looking forward to it on the big screen though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

Seeing this tonight at the local indie movie theater. Never even knew they made a concert movie. I was never a huge Heads fan, only know a handful of their songs. Looking forward to it on the big screen though.

Dave, you are going to have a great time. It's a fantastic movie!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    I saw T.H. in August, 1982 in San Francisco at the Civic Auditorium. If I recall correctly, the expanded Talking Heads group I saw is the same band that is featured in that excellent film.

Here's part of what I wrote about that show (not edited yet) for the book I'm working on:

August 9, 1982: Talking Heads, The Tom Tom Club, Black Uhuru, San Francisco Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Blach Uhuru opened the show that night and the mood was nicely set right from the get-go by that excellent Jamaican reggae group. We had balcony seats just to the left of the stage and a great view of the musicians and the sound up there was superb. That night, Black Uhuru featured the amazing rhythm duo, Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare, who kept the pulse steady and rocking while the rest of this fine band made great reggae music with amazing vocals. Well known for their socially conscious lyrics, Black Uhuru played with passion and conviction and they really made it happen that night.
    We had missed previous opportunities to see the original Talking Heads band comprised of lead singer guitarist David Byrne, bass player Tin Weymouth along with her husband Chris Frantz on drums and keyboard player and guitarist Jerry Harrison. Byrne, Weymouth and Frantz had attended school together at the Rhode Island School of Design and went on to form the band along with added member Jerry Harrison. By the time we saw the band in 1982 they had augmented the line-up with the addition of one of the masters of complex and incredible guitar rig/gear setup and creator of an amazing array of guitar sounds, Adrian Belew. Also with the band that night were superb keyboardist Bernie Worrell and percussionist Steve Scales. What a hot band!
    The Talking Heads played a couple of great sets sandwiched around a set of songs by Frantz and Weymouth’s side project, The Tom Tom Club. Both T.H. sets were a full on head of steam and Byrnie was so pumped up and energized that he kept moving throughout the whole show to the point of occasionally literally running circle around the stage. The man was a ball of energy and he poured out gallons of sweat that night while putting on a great performance with the completely integrated Talking Heads unit.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Stop Making Sense turned me on to Talking Heads as well. Very amazing band, I wish they could get along. That would be a tour that would be must see. What A Day That Was is probably my favorite song on SMS. But killer album front to back.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    brianlux said:

I saw T.H. in August, 1982 in San Francisco at the Civic Auditorium. If I recall correctly, the expanded Talking Heads group I saw is the same band that is featured in that excellent film.

Here's part of what I wrote about that show (not edited yet) for the book I'm working on:

August 9, 1982: Talking Heads, The Tom Tom Club, Black Uhuru, San Francisco Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Blach Uhuru opened the show that night and the mood was nicely set right from the get-go by that excellent Jamaican reggae group. We had balcony seats just to the left of the stage and a great view of the musicians and the sound up there was superb. That night, Black Uhuru featured the amazing rhythm duo, Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare, who kept the pulse steady and rocking while the rest of this fine band made great reggae music with amazing vocals. Well known for their socially conscious lyrics, Black Uhuru played with passion and conviction and they really made it happen that night.
    We had missed previous opportunities to see the original Talking Heads band comprised of lead singer guitarist David Byrne, bass player Tin Weymouth along with her husband Chris Frantz on drums and keyboard player and guitarist Jerry Harrison. Byrne, Weymouth and Frantz had attended school together at the Rhode Island School of Design and went on to form the band along with added member Jerry Harrison. By the time we saw the band in 1982 they had augmented the line-up with the addition of one of the masters of complex and incredible guitar rig/gear setup and creator of an amazing array of guitar sounds, Adrian Belew. Also with the band that night were superb keyboardist Bernie Worrell and percussionist Steve Scales. What a hot band!
    The Talking Heads played a couple of great sets sandwiched around a set of songs by Frantz and Weymouth’s side project, The Tom Tom Club. Both T.H. sets were a full on head of steam and Byrnie was so pumped up and energized that he kept moving throughout the whole show to the point of occasionally literally running circle around the stage. The man was a ball of energy and he poured out gallons of sweat that night while putting on a great performance with the completely integrated Talking Heads unit.

THAT is cool Brian!!! Very cool indeed!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    SD48277 said:

it was fun and good. I had been up since around 5 am though cause i had to be at work at 6. Worked til 3 pm, wasn't too tired. Then met some friends around 7ish near the theater. movie didn't start til about 10 pm. I was awake for the first 20 minutes. fell asleep for about 30 minutes or so and was in and out of it till the last 5-10 minutes of it. From what i saw i dug. i'd watch it again. of course it won't be in a theater but oh well.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

SD48277 said:

it was fun and good. I had been up since around 5 am though cause i had to be at work at 6. Worked til 3 pm, wasn't too tired. Then met some friends around 7ish near the theater. movie didn't start til about 10 pm. I was awake for the first 20 minutes. fell asleep for about 30 minutes or so and was in and out of it till the last 5-10 minutes of it. From what i saw i dug. i'd watch it again. of course it won't be in a theater but oh well.
    Lol

I've been there, man.

The in and outs (of sleep) usually result in me missing more than I thought I had. I'm currently trying to get through a Banshee episode without much success.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited April 2016

brianlux said:

THAT is cool Brian!!! Very cool indeed!
    Thanks, it was!

Well, except for this:

We went to pick up friends in San Francisco to take to the show and when I got to their place I got out and read all of the several convoluted lines of direction on the street parking sign and figured we were good to park there for a while.

By the time we came down from their apartment however... NO CAR! I guess I hadn't figured out the Hieroglyphics accurately and had been towed. Total cost for parking ticket, towing, "storage" fee (car prison): $200. That is, $200 in 1982 dollars or almost $500 dollars US, 2016. Yikes! A very expensive evening.

Thank goodness that show was fantastic!

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I saw this on the big screen when it came out too, and have another absolute life-long favorite memory related to it.

I saw it, was blown away, then a week later went to NYC to see New Order at the Felt Forum (in same building as Madison Sq. Garden). This was either '84 or '85 and I was still a teenager.

Some months before I'd been out at Jones Beach for a UB-40 show and watched them film a video with Chrissie Hynde for "Black Coffee in Bed". I remembered a guy onstage who seemed to be running the shoot, although I didn't know hardly anything at all about the process of making a film or video, so I just noticed the guy who seemed to be telling everyone what to do.

Ok, back to New Order, so after the show a friend took me backstage. I was a huge New Order fan so it was a big deal, but somewhere in the excitement I saw this guy who looked really familiar, and finally placed him at that UB-40/Chrissie Hynde shoot. I went over to him and his date and said "Hi, were you by any chance working at this shoot a few months ago..." The guy was very nice and said "Yes, that was me..." We started talking and I asked "So, what other bands do you work with?" He named a few, then said "...and I just directed a movie with the Talking Heads, it just came out, called "Stop Making Sense"" I stopped dead in my tracks. "Wait, what??? You made that movie? Does that mean the opening sequence with the singer's feet was your idea?" He laughed and said "Yes, it was."

I seriously then went through practically the whole movie in my mind, asking about scene after scene, and he thought it was hysterical and just kept saying "Yes" or "that was a joint idea". I was so excited I forgot I was backstage with New Order for awhile and just talked to Jonathan Demme and his date.

Soon they were leaving, and they came over to me. Demme said "So, we have to go, but I also directed this movie with Laurie Anderson called "Home of the Brave" and we're going to a premier of it, would you like to come with us?"

This is probably one of my biggest regrets ever, because I almost went, but then I remembered "Um, I'm hanging out with New Order, I CAN'T leave!" so I said no. I did end up talking to Bernard Sumner in a club for about an hour, so at the time I felt I made the right decision, but I always regretted that later!

Fast forward some 20+ years, I was at SXSW trying to see a band called Dr. Dog, but ended up seeing the end of a band called Flight of the Conchords (love them ever since). Then another band was setting up and I see this familiar looking guy. He looks so familiar, I go over to him and the young boy he's with and start asking questions: "Are you from California?" Smiles "no"... "Are you from New York?" "Yes..." Takes me AGES and finally I figure it out "You're Jonathan Demme!!" and I proceed to tell him the whole New Order story, which amuses him a lot. We have a nice talk, he tells me he's there because he made a movie about Neil Young that's showing, I meet his son, then I take off to walk through the crowd at this cool art gallery/outdoor venue, when I feel someone pat my back. Turn around, it's a familiar face I haven't seen in many years: Pearl Jam's first main tour manager, Eric. I didn't know him well, but met him enough times that he tapped me. It was great to see him, we talk for a moment, then I ask him what brings him to SXSW. He doesn't say anything but just moves his eyes sideways, and I realize he's standing (and now I'm standing) RIGHT next to Neil Young. Eric works for him. I'm like "Ooooohhh..." and smile, and we wrap up and I walk away.

Ran into Jonathan Demme several more times that festival, to the point where outside a favorite Mexican Restaurant (RIP Las Manitas), he walks up and we don't even talk, we just hug.

Top guy, that Jonathan Demme, incredibly talented (though I still can't watch Silence of the Lambs!). And Eric, was great to see him then, I imagine he still works for Neil Young...

Thanks for bringing up this movie, took me waaaaaay back, and I definitely need to see it again!
  • Options
    brianlux I remain totally in awe of both your concert resume and also your ability to bring up details/writings about them! Phenomenal!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,435
    I was at the filming of the movie...it was at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. The Heads had just played the Long Beach Arena, then they announced a few shows at a smaller theater.

Jerry Harrison, the TH guitar player, was backstage at the PJ show at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam 2012.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

I saw this on the big screen when it came out too, and have another absolute life-long favorite memory related to it.

I saw it, was blown away, then a week later went to NYC to see New Order at the Felt Forum (in same building as Madison Sq. Garden). This was either '84 or '85 and I was still a teenager.

Some months before I'd been out at Jones Beach for a UB-40 show and watched them film a video with Chrissie Hynde for "Black Coffee in Bed". I remembered a guy onstage who seemed to be running the shoot, although I didn't know hardly anything at all about the process of making a film or video, so I just noticed the guy who seemed to be telling everyone what to do.

Ok, back to New Order, so after the show a friend took me backstage. I was a huge New Order fan so it was a big deal, but somewhere in the excitement I saw this guy who looked really familiar, and finally placed him at that UB-40/Chrissie Hynde shoot. I went over to him and his date and said "Hi, were you by any chance working at this shoot a few months ago..." The guy was very nice and said "Yes, that was me..." We started talking and I asked "So, what other bands do you work with?" He named a few, then said "...and I just directed a movie with the Talking Heads, it just came out, called "Stop Making Sense"" I stopped dead in my tracks. "Wait, what??? You made that movie? Does that mean the opening sequence with the singer's feet was your idea?" He laughed and said "Yes, it was."

I seriously then went through practically the whole movie in my mind, asking about scene after scene, and he thought it was hysterical and just kept saying "Yes" or "that was a joint idea". I was so excited I forgot I was backstage with New Order for awhile and just talked to Jonathan Demme and his date.

Soon they were leaving, and they came over to me. Demme said "So, we have to go, but I also directed this movie with Laurie Anderson called "Home of the Brave" and we're going to a premier of it, would you like to come with us?"

This is probably one of my biggest regrets ever, because I almost went, but then I remembered "Um, I'm hanging out with New Order, I CAN'T leave!" so I said no. I did end up talking to Bernard Sumner in a club for about an hour, so at the time I felt I made the right decision, but I always regretted that later!

Fast forward some 20+ years, I was at SXSW trying to see a band called Dr. Dog, but ended up seeing the end of a band called Flight of the Conchords (love them ever since). Then another band was setting up and I see this familiar looking guy. He looks so familiar, I go over to him and the young boy he's with and start asking questions: "Are you from California?" Smiles "no"... "Are you from New York?" "Yes..." Takes me AGES and finally I figure it out "You're Jonathan Demme!!" and I proceed to tell him the whole New Order story, which amuses him a lot. We have a nice talk, he tells me he's there because he made a movie about Neil Young that's showing, I meet his son, then I take off to walk through the crowd at this cool art gallery/outdoor venue, when I feel someone pat my back. Turn around, it's a familiar face I haven't seen in many years: Pearl Jam's first main tour manager, Eric. I didn't know him well, but met him enough times that he tapped me. It was great to see him, we talk for a moment, then I ask him what brings him to SXSW. He doesn't say anything but just moves his eyes sideways, and I realize he's standing (and now I'm standing) RIGHT next to Neil Young. Eric works for him. I'm like "Ooooohhh..." and smile, and we wrap up and I walk away.

Ran into Jonathan Demme several more times that festival, to the point where outside a favorite Mexican Restaurant (RIP Las Manitas), he walks up and we don't even talk, we just hug.

Top guy, that Jonathan Demme, incredibly talented (though I still can't watch Silence of the Lambs!). And Eric, was great to see him then, I imagine he still works for Neil Young...

Thanks for bringing up this movie, took me waaaaaay back, and I definitely need to see it again!

Wasn't the Chrissie Hynde/UB40 song called "Breakfast in Bed"?
  • Options
    Just googled it, you're absolutely right JoeJoeJoe, Breakfast in Bed! Also googled Black Coffee In Bed, it's by Squeeze which was roughly the same period of music for me, so I guess I got them confused. Thanks for the correction!

Meanwhile, you trump all stories - YOU WERE AT THE ACTUAL SHOW?? Amazing! Did it run like a regular concert, or did they have to stop and start a lot because they were filming? So cool that you were there!
  • Options
    Yes, it ran like a regular concert, except for the cameras being placed throughout the venue,

It was cool to be there, but it is very revealing of how old I am now! I recently turned 50, which was alarming to me. However, being that I started going to gigs when I was 14, I am lucky to have seen many great bands.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    first time i saw this in the theaters in the early 1980's people actually danced up at the front of the cinema under the screen. that is something i have only seen happen once in my life
    RIP Jonathan demme you made some killer films!
  • Options
    So so sad about his passing! What a kind human and stellar filmmaker/artist!
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

So so sad about his passing! What a kind human and stellar filmmaker/artist!

No! Shit... I didn't know until now. Damn- too soon!

And very sorry for your loss, JH as you knew Mr. Demme.

R.I.P. to a great film maker. Sad day, for sure.

• Options
    perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,964
    Tom Hanks was talking about how he took his wife on their first date to see Stop Making Sense,in the theatres, on the Colbert show last night. It was a great interview.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    Wow, I want to hear that! He obviously knew Demme well because of Philadelphia...

And brianlux you are too kind, but "knew" is probably too strong a word. I was lucky to have several run ins with him, but I didn't really know him, just lucky to have crossed paths with him in a few great ways. Still devastated though...
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

Wow, I want to hear that! He obviously knew Demme well because of Philadelphia...

And brianlux you are too kind, but "knew" is probably too strong a word. I was lucky to have several run ins with him, but I didn't really know him, just lucky to have crossed paths with him in a few great ways. Still devastated though...

I'll have to look for the Hanks interview as well.

Still, JH, so fine that you got to run into Demme a number of times. Yeah, a tough loss, for sure. Lets not have another 2016 that way. :frowning: