Options

Anyone ever met Maynard James Keenan?

BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Anyone ever actually met him? Whats he like?
He can come off as an asshole smetimes, I mean he can be condescending towards fans sometimes just plain ignorant but then again he has a really bitter sense of humour, Im just interested to know what he's like in person.
~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    never met him, but i guess he lives in jerome, arizona. it's a tiny town about an hour away from where i live.

No shit!? I visited there a couple years ago. Its a really cool town. And yes, it really is very tiny and up in the hills.

MJK's dad actually lives in my hometown of Scottville, Michigan. I guess maynard still visits a couple times a year but i've never seen him. His dad used to teach there and Maynard graduated from there (voted most artistic in his class i think...go figure).
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    *bump*

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    Evensolo05Evensolo05 Posts: 118
    he was at Ski Bunny in Auntie Annie's the other week! ;)
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • Options
    Evensolo05 wrote:
    he was at Ski Bunny in Auntie Annie's the other week! ;)
    I am completely missing the joke lol Never been to Ski Bunny, dunno what it is, the upstairs stuff at Annies isn't great, plus the actual bar downstairs is awesome craic.

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    Evensolo05Evensolo05 Posts: 118
    Binaural wrote:
    I am completely missing the joke lol Never been to Ski Bunny, dunno what it is, the upstairs stuff at Annies isn't great, plus the actual bar downstairs is awesome craic.

lol yea dont go that often myself, downstairs is better craic despite the fact that I dont think i've ever had a seat lol
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • Options
    Evensolo05 wrote:
    lol yea dont go that often myself, downstairs is better craic despite the fact that I dont think i've ever had a seat lol
    Yeah, its crazy at nights. The John Hewitt is good craic on weeknights, nice place to sit and chill

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i never met him and i never want to meet him. he comes off like a prick and super smart that he'd be wasting his time talking to me. plus i don't ever like Tool all that much.
  • Options
    Lets just say a friend of mine attracted MJKs attention on the 13step tour.

The morning after she tries to talk, get to know the guy. He says: 'shut up I'm watching legally blonde 2' and acts like an asshole til she leaves.

well, the shocking part to me was mjks film choice, legally blonde 2?!
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,804
    Lets just say a friend of mine attracted MJKs attention on the 13step tour.

The morning after she tries to talk, get to know the guy. He says: 'shut up I'm watching legally blonde 2' and acts like an asshole til she leaves.

well, the shocking part to me was mjks film choice, legally blonde 2?!

HA HA. Whether this is true or not, this is funny.
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    I met him once and he was a dick (this was back during APCs first headlining tour) and had another backstage encounter with him. On their last tour, he had hand picked all of the attractive women at the show, gave them passes and met with them after. During the meet and greet after the show, he had them all sitting down and he was standing up talking to them...I guess he didn't want to feel small comapred to them.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    stpmattb wrote:
    I met him once and he was a dick (this was back during APCs first headlining tour) and had another backstage encounter with him. On their last tour, he had hand picked all of the attractive women at the show, gave them passes and met with them after. During the meet and greet after the show, he had them all sitting down and he was standing up talking to them...I guess he didn't want to feel small comapred to them.

LMAO seriously?:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    I didn't realize he was such a sex machine. I thought he was married or had a kid? Must be thinking of someone else.
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    LMAO seriously?:D

Yeah unfortunately. A lot of the girls were sitting there with a "WTF" expression...oh and I forgot to mention that he had a security guard making it so no one could get within about 50 feet of him and the women.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    stpmattb wrote:
    Yeah unfortunately. A lot of the girls were sitting there with a "WTF" expression...oh and I forgot to mention that he had a security guard making it so no one could get within about 50 feet of him and the women.

That's fucking hilarious, I could so picture that.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    I sorta met him at Lollapalooza in 1993. I was walking around the midway and ran into Tom Morello at the lemonade stand (keep in mind that neither Rage nor Tool was THAT huge back then - they were the 1-2 spots in the lineup). Anyways, Tom was to this day probably the coolest musician I've ever met and we talked for at least 10 minutes. Right at the end, Maynard comes walking around with his "posse" wearing this long hooded robe to meet up with Tom. Nobody else around me knew who he was (nobody seemed to know Tom either) but I just said something like "Hey Maynard" and he never said a word.

I never considered it to be much of an encounter and I tried not to judge him from it, but I got the impression that he could be a pretty big jerk, especially given the experience I was just having with Tom when he came around.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I read a recent interview with him and he was just giving stupid answers to every question, the interviewer said he was really obnoxious. There's no doubt the guy makes great music, but it sounds like he's a grade A arse-hole. It sounds like he can only respect people who he believes to be really smart.
  • Options
    Cheers for all the stories.
    Wow, I never knew he was that much of an asshole, to be honest, from all the stoires he just sounds like a more intelligent Gene Simmons.

Dublin 08/06
  • Options
    It's interesting... I've seen interviews with Maynard where he discusses how he doesn't want his face to sell anything. That's why he's always changing his look up, not appearing in the videos, and is practically just a silhouette on stage in front of all the bright screens. He says he wants the music to speak for itself, and that's what he wants the people to fall in love with, rather than the band.

I've read countless stories about him being a jerk, not to mention, he really is kind of a dick during the concerts, and in interviews... Someone cited his really dry and bitter sense of humor. He really could be fucking with everyone, but he'd only have himself (and maybe the rest of TOOL) to laugh with. I couldn't imagine being in band with that guy.

That being said, I wonder if he's a dick intentionally, and for the same reason that he doesn't let his appearance be his selling point... He doesn't want you to like the music based on his sparkling personality, or his appearance, or for any other reason than the art itself. So, the guy gives you NOTHING to like about himself. Hell, I've said to myself a bunch of times... Man, I really don't want to give that fuckin guy another dime-- but I'd love to go see TOOL again in concert because they rock-- And sure enough, I'll buy the album / see a concert, all the while, I know that MJK is probably sitting in a room by himself, drinking his own wine, and thinking of new ways to be a dick to the people that made him who he is.

Mission accomplished, Maynard.

Ya prick.

I'll probably see you in Atlantic City if the tickets ever go on sale.
  • Options
    SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    It's interesting... I've seen interviews with Maynard where he discusses how he doesn't want his face to sell anything. That's why he's always changing his look up, not appearing in the videos, and is practically just a silhouette on stage in front of all the bright screens. He says he wants the music to speak for itself, and that's what he wants the people to fall in love with, rather than the band.

I've read countless stories about him being a jerk, not to mention, he really is kind of a dick during the concerts, and in interviews... Someone cited his really dry and bitter sense of humor. He really could be fucking with everyone, but he'd only have himself (and maybe the rest of TOOL) to laugh with. I couldn't imagine being in band with that guy.

That being said, I wonder if he's a dick intentionally, and for the same reason that he doesn't let his appearance be his selling point... He doesn't want you to like the music based on his sparkling personality, or his appearance, or for any other reason than the art itself. So, the guy gives you NOTHING to like about himself. Hell, I've said to myself a bunch of times... Man, I really don't want to give that fuckin guy another dime-- but I'd love to go see TOOL again in concert because they rock-- And sure enough, I'll buy the album / see a concert, all the while, I know that MJK is probably sitting in a room by himself, drinking his own wine, and thinking of new ways to be a dick to the people that made him who he is.

Ya prick.

Wow! That's such a great post. I feel the same way. I'm never going to meet him, so why would I care what he's like if I like the music?

There have been a number of threads here about various people being sell-outs, and there have been a number of threads on the Porch about Pearl Jam being sell-outs. If their music continues to inspire you, then they aren't selling out. If every song sounded liked their biggest hit (Nickelback), then they are selling out. Otherwise, none of us really know what's going on inside a band.

Vinny,

Stay close to your girlfriend during the show.
  • Options
    SLH916 wrote:
    Wow! That's such a great post. I feel the same way. I'm never going to meet him, so why would I care what he's like if I like the music?

There have been a number of threads here about various people being sell-outs, and there have been a number of threads on the Porch about Pearl Jam being sell-outs. If their music continues to inspire you, then they aren't selling out. If every song sounded liked their biggest hit (Nickelback), then they are selling out. Otherwise, none of us really know what's going on inside a band.

Vinny,

Stay close to your girlfriend during the show.

No need to keep her close, she hates TOOL and won't be attending... she likes Pearl Jam though!

Glad you liked my post. Thanks!

You gotta give MJK credit, he IS true to his art. We all know how great PJ is, but early in their career, how many bandwagon fans were there? How many were there because they just thought Eddie was cool or good-looking? And what's awesome is, that I think the guys in PJ are pretty much similar to MJK (minus being jerks)... They decided to pull back, and let people judge based on the music after Ten... No videos, less press. Much respect to our favorite band.
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I attended Kendall College the in the mid/late 80's when he was there (I think he may have taken classes at GVSU as well). He was definately a great guy. Very intense when it came to his work, but a pretty accessible guy. I haven't had any exchange with him since 1992 when he played a small bar in Grand Rapids. While at Kendall, he was our class president. He played in a really good metal-ly punk band back then... something like Tex and the Texans..I still have one of their 'hand-made' cassettes down in my basement somewhere.

So yeah, not a dick. I think he projects in a way where he doesn't want the fame thing being so closely tied to the music they put out. I think it would be extremely weird to be so well known by many w/o knowing the many in return.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    No, but i know someone who has. It was back in the "sober" days. From what i understand he is very small of stature, and very big of body odor. Smelled absolutly nauseating, i hear.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    korbykorby Posts: 298
    an obnoxious punk eh ? what do you think about that?

sounds like someone else I know
    its ok
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    Hey guys Im going to buy one or two Tool albums today, I've never really heard them so what do you recomend for starters?
  • Options
    korbykorby Posts: 298
    pouch15 wrote:
    Hey guys Im going to buy one or two Tool albums today, I've never really heard them so what do you recomend for starters?

most of its good. their latest album was cool
    its ok
  • Options
    Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Lateralus and Ænima
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Options
    pouch15 wrote:
    Aenima
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    pouch15 wrote:

For starters, i recomend saving your money.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,477

Ya prick.

really when will the damm tickets go on sale don't wan't to miss this show at all......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    Thanks, I think Ill go with Aienma.