Options

Band you love but no one else has heard of

12346»

Comments

• Options
    pj8pj8 Posts: 408

pj8 said:

The Church and pretty much every Steve Kilbey side project, especially Kilbey Kennedy and Jack Frost.

YES!!!
    :blush:

Sorry. I've been a rabid Church fan since... 1983, I think? True story: bored out of my mind in the flatlands, I read an article about the Church in Creem magazine (yes, I am old) -- an article that said, hey, this might be the greatest band in the world, if there were any justice these guys would be as big as the Beatles. So I had to check them out of course (I had a protracted Beatles phase when I was very young). First song I ever heard was "Shadow Cabinet," and it sounded as if someone had climbed inside my head and turned the chaos into music.

I spent most of the '80s saying, no, NOT "Lords of the New Church," "The Church." Then "Under the Milky Way" hit and everyone thought they were one-hit wonders.

I actually made a trip to Australia (this was before iTunes, YouTube, etc.) to hunt down rare Church B-sides.

They're still killing it live -- amazing post-punk prog rock.
    That's awesome! I was hoping there would be another Church fan on here. Sadly I never got to see them with MWP but saw them in 2015 and then again in 2016 doing The Blurred Crusade in its entirety - that show in particular was mindblowing. Kilbey wasn't in the best mood that night and the show ended with him storming off the stage but still, an awesome performance. They are some of the nicest guys in music too.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Speaking of Post Punk, there is one band you must hear if you're into the genre, they're called Wire. Such an important band, theyre from the UK, they started in the late seventies and are still playing and releasing records today..

Their first three albums are absolute must haves..

Pink Flag
    Chairs Missing

It's punk, but more artfully done, tuneful with an agressive edge and really interesting lyrics. If you like Television and early Talking Heads then you'll enjoy Wire..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    pj8 said:

That's awesome! I was hoping there would be another Church fan on here. Sadly I never got to see them with MWP but saw them in 2015 and then again in 2016 doing The Blurred Crusade in its entirety - that show in particular was mindblowing. Kilbey wasn't in the best mood that night and the show ended with him storming off the stage but still, an awesome performance. They are some of the nicest guys in music too.

I've only seen them a few times: GAF tour in Boston -- 1990? (third row!); early '90s, San Francisco, when it was just Steve and Marty; and last year in New York, when I literally ran into Steve outside of his bus (awkward!). He is not a large man.... But he was in a decent mood that night, and they sounded great, I thought.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.