Options

Band you love but no one else has heard of

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Annnd The Felice Brothers are in Oneonta, NY in March.....done.
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

damn, i am missing that show by 1 day. I'll be an hour from there that entire next week. Maybe I'll add an extra day to my trip. Hmmm...
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

damn, i am missing that show by 1 day. I'll be an hour from there that entire next week. Maybe I'll add an extra day to my trip. Hmmm...

Go for it. What are you going to be in upstate new york for? That's my old stomping grounds.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Go for it. What are you going to be in upstate new york for? That's my old stomping grounds.

My family has a cabin just outside of Phoenicia. I go any chance I get. That week is my birthday so I'm having some friends up. 8-)

After that Mountain Jam in Hunter in June. Have you been before? It is the best!

• Options
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    My family has a cabin just outside of Phoenicia. I go any chance I get. That week is my birthday so I'm having some friends up. 8-)

After that Mountain Jam in Hunter in June. Have you been before? It is the best!

Ah shit. Beautiful area. That will be a blast. I would extend your trip and hit up the felice brothers if I were you. Why the hell not if you are going to be out there.

I actually have never been to Mountain Jam. Don't know why not, especially since I am a huge fan of the Allman Brothers. Gotta get there. It's the weekend after memorial day, right? Thats always a tough weekend.

You live in San Fran? Going to be out there for work this week. Can't wait. Haven't been since I was a kid and hear it's a great city.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

Ah shit. Beautiful area. That will be a blast. I would extend your trip and hit up the felice brothers if I were you. Why the hell not if you are going to be out there.

I actually have never been to Mountain Jam. Don't know why not, especially since I am a huge fan of the Allman Brothers. Gotta get there. It's the weekend after memorial day, right? Thats always a tough weekend.

You live in San Fran? Going to be out there for work this week. Can't wait. Haven't been since I was a kid and hear it's a great city.

You have GOT to hit Mountain Jam. Its only like $150 for 3 days, and you can get single day tickets too. It is so laid back, the musicians are just walking around and enjoying the music like everyone else. I met so many cool people last year. Richard Thompson, Michael Franti, Jacki Greene. Trombone Shorty hit on me in front of my father. It was great! Not to mention all of the incredible music. It really was a tremendous experience. I would actually call it intimate, which is weird since its a festival, but it truly was.

SF is a great city! Will you have time to explore at all? PM me if you want some recommendations. There are some great shows coming up in the next few weeks too. 8-)

• Options
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

You have GOT to hit Mountain Jam. Its only like $150 for 3 days, and you can get single day tickets too. It is so laid back, the musicians are just walking around and enjoying the music like everyone else. I met so many cool people last year. Richard Thompson, Michael Franti, Jacki Greene. Trombone Shorty hit on me in front of my father. It was great! Not to mention all of the incredible music. It really was a tremendous experience. I would actually call it intimate, which is weird since its a festival, but it truly was.

SF is a great city! Will you have time to explore at all? PM me if you want some recommendations. There are some great shows coming up in the next few weeks too. 8-)

Yeah, I definitely have to do that. Sounds like a blast and I have heard nothing but great things. Maybe this year is the year. Sounds incredible. Pretty awesome about how everyone is just hanging out.

Yeah, I may have to shoot you a note for some advice. Someone else from San Fran on the board sent me a bunch of places but I could always use more. I am going to be flying in Tuesday night, have a meeting all day Wednesday and a lunch meeting on Thursday and flying out on Friday so I definitely have some time to myself. Staying at some small boutique hotel near Union Square. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I definitely have to do that. Sounds like a blast and I have heard nothing but great things. Maybe this year is the year. Sounds incredible. Pretty awesome about how everyone is just hanging out.

Yeah, I may have to shoot you a note for some advice. Someone else from San Fran on the board sent me a bunch of places but I could always use more. I am going to be flying in Tuesday night, have a meeting all day Wednesday and a lunch meeting on Thursday and flying out on Friday so I definitely have some time to myself. Staying at some small boutique hotel near Union Square. Looking forward to it.

This year IS the year. The lineup is great. mountainjam.com

I love those boutique hotels. I hope you have a great time! I'm full of recs, so just let me know. :)

• Options
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I love those boutique hotels. I hope you have a great time! I'm full of recs, so just let me know. :)

They have the lineup set already, damn. That is a hell of a lineup. Gov't Mule, Haynes, Franti and the Avetts. Thats awesome. I am going to have to make this happen.

Awesome, I will most definitely be shooting you a note over the next day or so. Thanks!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

They have the lineup set already, damn. That is a hell of a lineup. Gov't Mule, Haynes, Franti and the Avetts. Thats awesome. I am going to have to make this happen.

Awesome, I will most definitely be shooting you a note over the next day or so. Thanks!
    8-)

• Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    these are top of the range and personal friends have a listen

http://www.subgiant.co.uk/
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,901
    The Evens (Ian McKaye from Fugazi)
    Grandaddy (My second favorite to PJ)
    American Analog Set

You might have heard of these, but they're not too too popular:

Nada Surf

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNc45FTenhg
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I saw this two piece supporting Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds in 08. They are both multi-intrumentalists and they do some semi-spoken word songs and layer vocals with loops. The clip doesn't do them justice but they're one of the best support acts I've seen. Anything You Love That Much You Will See Again is my favourite of theirs if you have a spare six or seven minutes.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1eiLhSq ... re=related
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    The Waking Eyes - All Empires Fall (Live)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXAK473srEU

The Waking Eyes - Wolves At The Door (Live)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwTYjSThdns
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Rodrigo y Gabriela
    :D

Their cover of "Orion" by Metallica is awesome!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Godspeed You Black Emperor!

A friend on Facebook that I went to high school with posted this video of the abandoned New Orleans Six Flags theme park since Katrina. I thought the music was really cool so I went to itunes and bought their EP f#a#(inifinity). It's really good and average song length...over 15 minutes! Their song "The Dead Flag Blues" came on my ipod yesterday and I thought of starting a thread like this one to mention them to people and get some recommendations for other good music off my radar. Here's the video, definitely worth checking out because it's really well done and creepy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcja8UBtXdk

Blair is a singer a friend of mine who does comedy in New Orleans opened up for and he turned me on to her. I have her EP, Pluto, and everytime it comes on my ipod, I dig it!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    daniel wesley
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    The Revivalists. I have posted about them on here a few times. They're a band based out of New Orleans, and have quite a following there. I've seem them live 5 times (tomorrow night in Pensacola will make 6), and they are just an amazing band. Their albums are good, but until you see them live you might not "get it". They have such great stage presence and are such fun to see live. They were at Hangout Fest this year, and Jazz Fest, along with a ton of other fests too. Next one I think they have is Mountain Jam, so if you're going check them out. Warren Haynes seems to love them too. He had them open for Mule, and invited them to the Xmas Jam. They've opened for JJ Grey, Dr John and others as well, and Warren likes to guest with them (hoping for something at Mt Jam). I know Mike played with them once as well too in New Orleans at a benefit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUIuary-IL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5AYqn8pi7Y

Having a little fun covering "Forget About Dre" ft Warren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whcx2vvpBWU
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Loulou wrote:
    I know you guys would all know Marcy Playground but every time I mention them here, noone knows who I'm talking about and same goes for Mr. Bungle. :)

Man! I totally agree, most people only know Marcy Playground for the single Sex & Candy, but they are amazing on all of their albums. They just put out a new album a few months back that is stellar, and I got a chance to see them live here in West Palm Beach a few months ago with about 50 people, and the show fucking rocked!
    a slower tune, but real nice:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sklDC8ADDps
    Really like Memphis!!
    Very jealous you got to see them live, I know they aren't well known enough here for them to come here but I keep my fingers crossed. ;)
    Another band no one seems to know are VAST. One of my faves:

http://youtu.be/Y3vrkOqo8A8
    Amazing lyrics!!!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    daniel wesley

i have always loved him but um WOW

Daniel Wesley--Ooo Ohh / Not For You--Live @ Rifflandia Festival-Victoria BC 2011-09-25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCv_UGTXw4
  • Options
    SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    Amen. Very few people seem to have heard of them, despite them being fairly well known over here.

great band
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Junkyard
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Ludo
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    Pivotman
    The Tarts

neither are still together. :(
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Sunny Day Real Estate

They should have been a lot bigger.

8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqtQBU3DEuA

Seven - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiEGmrrUw-U

Faces In Disguise - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygeLx0ueE1I
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Micah Walk
    Andrew Combs
    A.A. Bondy

Oh, and Brian Zilm. I'd be a fool not to mention myself.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    JJ Grey and Mofro
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown