Options

Swedish student stops Afghan man's deportation by refusing to sit down on a plane

2»

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    She is being investigated for possible crimes. According to the news yesterday.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    There is no room in Ontario for more Asylum seekers that is for sure.  There is not even close to enough affordable for Ontarians living here.

I also find it offensive that illegal border hoppers have cost Ontario 200 million and PM Fluff has yet to pick up the tab.  I sure love how we make sure the illegal border hoppers have housing ... but to hell with the homeless, many who are not employable at the present time.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited July 2018
    ^^^^ Two different issues (and completely off topic). It's not like Ontario re-routed $200 million from the homeless issue to the asylum seekers issue. I love how people keep acting like whenever money is spent it is literally stolen directly from the homelessness fund. That's not actually how it works. The homelessness issue would be just as bad right now if the asylum seekers issue didn't exist. It's a separate problem that people should be petitioning their representatives in government about all the time.... Most people who combine these issues never showed they gave much of a shit about the homeless until they discovered they could use the issue to further their anti-immigration stance. I see it all the time.... My own mother pulls this actually. It's really irritating.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    She is being investigated for possible crimes. According to the news yesterday.

Martin Luther King Jr was put in jail... Gandhi was arrested 4 times and spent 7 years in prison.... Mandela did 27 years...  so yeah, the law isn't all its cracked up to be
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    There is no room in Ontario for more Asylum seekers that is for sure.  There is not even close to enough affordable for Ontarians living here.

I also find it offensive that illegal border hoppers have cost Ontario 200 million and PM Fluff has yet to pick up the tab.  I sure love how we make sure the illegal border hoppers have housing ... but to hell with the homeless, many who are not employable at the present time.  

Opinions are like assholes - everyone has them, some are shitty.

Ontario = Toronto + non-Toronto. Toronto = 4,000 persons per km^2, Ontario (including Toronto) = 14 persons per km^2. There is more than enough room in Ontario for asylum seekers. That's a fact.

I find it offensive that people with the (unearned) gift of being birthed from a wealthier vagina in a more moral country have the audacity to complain about the injustice of that privilege being ever-so-slightly eroded so that some people's lives can be elevated past the point of "living hell" or "survival at best", and that they've so wholly forgotten how to empathize. 

What a fucking waste of oxygen our race is. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

Ontario = Toronto + non-Toronto. Toronto = 4,000 persons per km^2, Ontario (including Toronto) = 14 persons per km^2. There is more than enough room in Ontario for asylum seekers. That's a fact.

I find it offensive that people with the (unearned) gift of being birthed from a wealthier vagina in a more moral country have the audacity to complain about the injustice of that privilege being ever-so-slightly eroded so that some people's lives can be elevated past the point of "living hell" or "survival at best", and that they've so wholly forgotten how to empathize. 

+1
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    benjs said:

Absolutely. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    benjs said:

Your comment is a fucking joke.  Opinions are like assholes everyone has one, including you and me, your opinion is no more correct than mine, if except I have no interest in adding to the problems ... there is a housing shortage in Ontario, we have homeless people in communities that have never had these problems, we have 10 hour waits in the er, we have a mental crisis, an opioid crisis, junkies holed in alleys leaving their dirty needles for others to clean up ... and people like you just want to keep adding to the problem.  I will never apologize for being born here ... what I do know is I come from a long line of ancestors who contributed greatly to this country including interrupting their lives to go fight in WW! and WW2 ... By the way I am a hug advocate for First Nation rights ... and our government can not even get some engineers to figure out how every First Nation reserve can get clean drinking water.  How 'bout, imagine that people born in this country with no drinking...please get off you high horse.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    All opinions are not created equal.

Anyway, again, all those issues you're complaining about, as legit as they are (nobody has once said they aren't legit concerns) have nothing to do with these asylum seekers. It seems that you have simply found a convenient scapegoat.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    benjs said:

Your comment is a fucking joke.  Opinions are like assholes everyone has one, including you and me, your opinion is no more correct than mine, if except I have no interest in adding to the problems ... there is a housing shortage in Ontario, we have homeless people in communities that have never had these problems, we have 10 hour waits in the er, we have a mental crisis, an opioid crisis, junkies holed in alleys leaving their dirty needles for others to clean up ... and people like you just want to keep adding to the problem.  I will never apologize for being born here ... what I do know is I come from a long line of ancestors who contributed greatly to this country including interrupting their lives to go fight in WW! and WW2 ... By the way I am a hug advocate for First Nation rights ... and our government can not even get some engineers to figure out how every First Nation reserve can get clean drinking water.  How 'bout, imagine that people born in this country with no drinking...please get off you high horse.  
    Your first sentence was blatantly incorrect, and I found the information in about four seconds on Google to disprove you (but if you'd like to try yourself, population density = population / area). Feel free to continue ignoring people who correct false information you're spreading.

On asylum seekers somehow creating less ability for Ontario to address its other concerns (which are very real), please note the Ontario Budget 2018 of $158.5 billion dollars, and the Ontario's reimbursement request from the federal government for $200 million dollars for the year. Just so you see the math - that's 200/158500 = 0.13% of the budget. If Ontario receives no reimbursement (and that is highly unlikely given the federal government has already issued reimbursements for provinces including Ontario in 2017), Ontario will have sacrificed 0.13% of its provincial budget for the sake of asylum seekers. Your argument is that if the government waived this responsibility to the globe, this 0.13% would somehow be used for meaningful improvement in any of these realms? You're living in a fantasy world. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Your first sentence was blatantly incorrect, and I found the information in about four seconds on Google to disprove you (but if you'd like to try yourself, population density = population / area). Feel free to continue ignoring people who correct false information you're spreading.

On asylum seekers somehow creating less ability for Ontario to address its other concerns (which are very real), please note the Ontario Budget 2018 of $158.5 billion dollars, and the Ontario's reimbursement request from the federal government for $200 million dollars for the year. Just so you see the math - that's 200/158500 = 0.13% of the budget. If Ontario receives no reimbursement (and that is highly unlikely given the federal government has already issued reimbursements for provinces including Ontario in 2017), Ontario will have sacrificed 0.13% of its provincial budget for the sake of asylum seekers. Your argument is that if the government waived this responsibility to the globe, this 0.13% would somehow be used for meaningful improvement in any of these realms? You're living in a fantasy world. 
    Well whatever I really don't fucking care.  They do add to the problem whether you like to admit or not.  Why doesn't PM Fluff cough up the money he owes on Ontario.  But you like most people in Toronto think you and your opinion about everything is all that matters.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    edited July 2018
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Well whatever I really don't fucking care.  They do add to the problem whether you like to admit or not.  Why doesn't PM Fluff cough up the money he owes on Ontario.  But you like most people in Toronto think you and your opinion about everything is all that matters.  
    How cuuuuuute. Canadians bickering! 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    My oh my how immigration and asylum seekers continue to bring out the best in the world. Unfortunately for those opposed to both, the argument usually doesn't go so well when you make vague sweeping generalizations. Then, when presented with a counter argument supported by facts, it becomes quite clear that it all just boils down to fear. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

I made a point of sharing Toronto’s population density and Ontario’s population density specifically to demonstrate that Ontario isn’t equal to Toronto and has far greater carrying capacity. You in turn acted like a sore debate loser with “whatever”, and accused me of a Toronto-centric existence. In addition to very clearly demonstrating an "Ontario is not Toronto" attitude, you assumed my Toronto-centric life without the knowledge I’ve travelled extensively around the province for civil engineering jobs, and lived in Hamilton for six years.

And yes, they do add to the problem. By a maximum of 0.13% of Ontario's budget (and likely less since the federal government has set a precedent in helping the province's contributions). Your notion that this 0.13% and influx of relatively few additional persons would have any tangible impact on housing shortages, homelessness, long ER wait times, mental health initiatives, opioid addiction prevention is laughable - even if you could assume that this contribution would otherwise go towards these initiatives that you decide are the most important. I'm not faithful that this is the case, but I'm hopeful that empathetic individuals in our province outweigh the apathy you express.

EV