Options

Swedish student stops Afghan man's deportation by refusing to sit down on a plane

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
edited July 2018 in A Moving Train
Swedish student stops Afghan man's deportation by refusing to sit down on a plane
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/swedish-student-stops-afghan-mans-deportation-by-refusing-to-sit-down-on-a-plane

Another spineless government.  
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,652
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, governments who refuse to acknowledge the concerns of the citizens who elected them are way better. Of course, it's safe to assume that you aren't super knowledgeable when it comes to the Swedish government in any case.... I'm not clear on what you thought "the government" was supposed to do here to make it seem less "spineless" to you. I didn't read where the entire government was on that plane making the decisions.

Interesting story. I would like to know the details surrounding the deportation. If the deportee isn't a criminal or something and really is at risk if sent back, I'm 100% inclined to side with the protestor. There are many things a lot more important than air travellers being delayed, and saving a human being from suffering or being killed is certainly one of them. And I've heard that people are getting more and more racist/xenophobic in Sweden these days, so anyone combating that bullshit is a hero IMO.
    That said, I'm pro-deportation if someone actually poses a risk to society.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    An ad pop up blocked the article.  Can you copy and paste it?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Here's the problem.  People with skills are hired to properly vent asylum seekers.  Which is why in many countries politicians do not like to intervene and over rule the civil servants who make those decision.  She is just another I am special person ... look at me.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Maybe this link will work...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/swedish-student-activist-delays-deportation-of-afghan-man-1.4028526#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=AO9WRwa

It's all for not.  She faces the possibility of being charged and he is still getting deported...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Maybe this link will work...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/swedish-student-activist-delays-deportation-of-afghan-man-1.4028526#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=AO9WRwa

It's all for not.  She faces the possibility of being charged and he is still getting deported...
    That link works, thanks.

I also would like to know the details of why the man is being deported.  Without them, it's an unclear story.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Here's the problem.  People with skills are hired to properly vent asylum seekers.  Which is why in many countries politicians do not like to intervene and over rule the civil servants who make those decision.  She is just another I am special person ... look at me.
    And the problem there is that those people with supposed skills (or at least instructions) to properly make these decisions make really horrible, unjust decisions. It happens all the time. I don't really understand how you can basically completely distrust the government, constantly go on about how government sucks, and then claim to trust them to make the right decisions when it comes to this particular issue... I have to assume it's simply because in this case it serves your anti-immigrant perspective.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,145
    edited July 2018
    https://nationalpost.com/news/world/swedish-student-stops-afghan-mans-deportation-by-refusing-to-sit-down-on-a-plane

Another spineless government.  
    Spineless? We stood up against the US during the Vietnam war.

Their anger intensified shortly before Christmas, with the news of the damage to a hospital in Hanoi that had been partly equipped by Sweden. And that night, after 9 P.M., with his sons in bed upstairs, Premier Olof Palme sat down at the kitchen table and wrote out a statement that linked the American bombing of North Vietnam with Nazi massacres in World War II. He set it aside, reread it in the morning, consulted a few associates‐‐‐but not his Foreign Ministry—and then issued it to the press. The result was a violent reaction from Washington and a sharp slap.

Continue reading the main story

President Nixon heard of Mr. Palme's words just after they moved on news agency wires on Dec. 23 and ordered diplomatic retaliation. The Swedes were told that their new Ambassador, Yngve Möller, would not be welcome for the present and that the American chargé d' affaires, John C. Guthrie, would not be returning to Stockholm.

Sweden roxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx lol rofl maga yolo xoxo 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I am going to assume Sweden treats it's asylum seekers fairly.  So this one entitled brat had no right to disrupt other people's travel plans.  If she is so damn concerned why didn't she sponsor a refugee, open up her home?  Now lets consider the flight crew, they have a job to do under very stressful conditions ... now she adds more stress to them, and now there is disrupted and if the plane did carry on the you got a flight crew dealing with more stress than usual and having to work a longer day.

An airplane is no place for protestors ... I hope they throw the book her, literally.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    That's a groundless assumption.
  • Options
    Still hoping to see some info on this case.  Was the man really a threat?  Would he have been killed unjustly if deported.  Was this young woman's act a courageous way to save a man's life or something else all together.  I'll wait l see what the specifics about the incident are and will meanwhile withhold opinion and judgement.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    Still hoping to see some info on this case.  Was the man really a threat?  Would he have been killed unjustly if deported.  Was this young woman's act a courageous way to save a man's life or something else all together.  I'll wait l see what the specifics about the incident are and will meanwhile withhold opinion and judgement.
    Yeah, without information about why this guy was being deported and the details as to why he or the protestor was SO against it that she pulled this, it's literally impossible to form an opinion specific to this case that isn't completely worthless.
    I do know that many deportations are absolutely horrible and cruel decisions made by those hired to fairly vet asylum seekers or other illegal immigrants, for no other reason than to be fucking hard asses. It's done by jerks who refuse to think in any way other than black and white, which is a pathetic and dimwitted way to deal with it. I do not know if that was the case here or not. IF it was, then that girl is a hero. IF it wasn't, then I dunno what her story is, maybe she just really really cares about the guy and went extreme. Either way, I still can't say I care overly much about passengers being delayed. I always felt that airline passengers way overreact to what I consider pretty minor inconveniences in the scheme of things (yeah yeah, there are exceptions to every rule of course). Some plane passengers can be such bitchy assholes.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2018
    Even if there is decided that a person doesn't have any legal reasons to stay, the government are having a really hard problem getting them to leave.
    There is a lot that's not working well here, I think it's important that we help those most in need but they seem to let everyone in, its not a well working system, unfortunately.
    And then we have people doing things like this on top of everything. 
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Even if there is decided that a person doesn't have any legal reasons to stay, the government are having a really hard problem getting them to leave.
    There is a lot that's not working well here, I think it's important that we help those most in need but they seem to let everyone in, its not a well working system, unfortunately.

Well if they let them in, then they should assume the responsibility of helping them stay there, no? I just don't understand why the government would want to get them to leave if they are law abiding people who are capable of work and who will be in potential danger if they are deported (that last part is the most important). I think that is heartless and cruel. Sweden (or Canada) is not bursting at the seams, and it's not like we're talking about millions of people. If we were talking about China or something, then maybe I could understand just wanting them to leave for no particular real reason other than not wanting them there, since there just isn't any room in China. But that really isn't the case in Sweden, or Canada, or America. Although I think concentrated populations can be an issue. But there are also solutions to that, if anyone were bothered to get it done.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:

Well if they let them in, then they should assume the responsibility of helping them stay there, no? I just don't understand why the government would want to get them to leave if they are law abiding people who are capable of work and who will be in potential danger if they are deported (that last part is the most important). I think that is heartless and cruel. Sweden (or Canada) is not bursting at the seams, and it's not like we're talking about millions of people. If we were talking about China or something, then maybe I could understand just wanting them to leave for no particular real reason other than not wanting them there, since there just isn't any room in China. But that really isn't the case in Sweden, or Canada, or America. Although I think concentrated populations can be an issue. But there are also solutions to that, if anyone were bothered to get it done.
    We must let them in because of the asylum right laws. But then they get their case evaluated. Anyway the system isn't working as it was suppose to. We take in too many and this country is going downhill. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:

We must let them in because of the asylum right laws. But then they get their case evaluated. Anyway the system isn't working as it was suppose to. We take in too many and this country is going downhill. 
    Well, I feel like helping legit asylum seekers is well worth people making some sacrifices for that cause - it's the only moral thing to do. But sure, if the asylum claim is bullshit and they are truly just using asylum as a lie to skirt the regular immigration process for no reason other than selfishness, that's another story.
    In what specific ways have asylum seekers lowered your own quality of life in Sweden, out of curiosity?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:

Well, I feel like helping legit asylum seekers is well worth people making some sacrifices for that cause - it's the only moral thing to do. But sure, if the asylum claim is bullshit and they are truly just using asylum as a lie to skirt the regular immigration process for no reason other than selfishness, that's another story.
    In what specific ways have asylum seekers lowered your own quality of life in Sweden, out of curiosity?
    I'm not talking about this from my own quality of life perspective. It doesn't matter anyway since most people get to stay anyway. 

Did you know that this asylum seeker she "rescued" from the plane was a criminal. 
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:

I'm not talking about this from my own quality of life perspective. It doesn't matter anyway since most people get to stay anyway. 
    What perspective are you talking about it from? How are asylum seekers ruining your country?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:

What perspective are you talking about it from? How are asylum seekers ruining your country?
    This is really a too big question and it's really late here. But there really is a lot of problems with different kind of crimes, rapes, gangs in malls, gang shootings, murder, terrorist attacks (the terrorist killing 5 people last year had already been rejected to stay but he was here anyway.) I don't want to talk about this anymore I'm sorry.

• Options
    Wow, those are a lot of condemnations against legit asylum seekers. Something seems a little off in your view there IMHO. But okay, I understand that you don't want to discuss it.
  • Options
    I'm still not seeing any more detail here to give an informed opinion on the subject.  Come on, people, do your job!  Lets see what you come up with.

What?  You want me to do the research? LOL, maybe later when it's not a kabillion degrees and my keyboard stops melting under my fingertips.

• Options
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:

Bang, bang!

• Options
    my2hands said:
    Annafalk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Annafalk said:

Bang, bang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQmGbOF3GxU
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    It’s not like everyone on the flight was heading to the Bahamas or Disneyland considering the man was flying to see somewhere he would die according to the girl.  At least she got her standing ovation in the end. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Jason P said:
    It’s not like everyone on the flight was heading to the Bahamas or Disneyland considering the man was flying to see somewhere he would die according to the girl.  At least she got her standing ovation in the end. 
    I doubt any flights go direct to Afghanistan from Gothenburg, without having to change somewhere along the route. 
  • Options
    Anybody hear anymore about this case- like why the guy was being deported or what the young woman's relationship to him is? 

• Options

The 52 yr old afghan man being deported, had been serving time for assult, that was not the reason for his deportation though. It was considered safe for him to be deported. The girl Elin has said she knew nothing about this man but wanted to save him because of he is a human. I found an article about this subject also.

COFFEE HOUSE

How a Swedish student’s protest against forced deportation could backfire

25 July 2018

3:49 PM

If the Sweden Democrats, an anti-immigration party, triumphs in the country’s general election on 9 September it won’t be thanks to Vladimir Putin, no matter how many Swedes fear his drones are trying to swamp them with internet propaganda. It will be Elin Ersson wot swung it for them – along with the police and authorities at Gothenburg Airport. Ms Ersson filmed herself refusing to sit down on a Turkey-bound plane until a failed asylum-seeker, who was being deported to Afghanistan, was removed. He duly was.   

Students have been doing this sort of thing for decades, of course – albeit without the benefit of live-streaming on social media, but just why did the airport authorities make it so easy for Ms Ersson? There is now some talk of her being prosecuted, even jailed – something which would be over the top, achieve nothing but generate sympathy and is highly unlikely to happen. On the other hand, she could quite easily have been removed by the simple expedient of having two polite security guards or police officers lift her up by the arms and carry her off, allowing the plane to take off as planned.

By failing to do this, and granting her demands, Gothenburg’s airport authorities have sent out a very loud ‘welcome’ to other protestors. If it is really that easy for a moon-faced student on social media to have an asylum-seeker removed from a plane, how attractive it must be to others to head for the nearest Swedish airport and stage their own stand-up protest? Angry that your IKEA shelves fell apart after three months? No problem – just live-stream yourself on a plane on the tarmac at Gothenburg Airport and you’ll get your money back, no problem. More worryingly, what message does it send to terrorists and hijackers about security presence at the airport?  

You have to admire Ms Ersson’s brazenness. But the ease with which she got her way won’t, I suspect, go down well with a good many Swedish voters who were relieved that finally – it seemed – a tough stance was being taken on migration. Sweden’s naivety in putting out the welcome mat to all and sundry has resulted in 400,000 asylum applications in the past five years – one for every 25 of the existing population. Only belatedly has the social democrat-led government realised that it isn’t easy for a small country to integrate such numbers of migrants, especially when there is such a heavy bias towards men: in 2016 Sweden received 91,146 male migrants and 71,859 female ones.

Uncontrolled migration has resulted in what many Swedes regard as localised breakdowns in law and order – which included a remarkable 35 grenade attacks in 2016, somewhat a novelty in Scandinavia. Finally, two years ago the government responded to growing anger at the uncontrolled nature of migration. Tougher rules were put in place regarding asylum applications and repatriations of failed asylum-seekers speeded up (although there remains a huge backlog in applications).

And then comes along Ms Ersson and throws a spanner in the system by refusing to sit down on a plane. “I am trying to change my country’s rules, I don’t like them,” she bleated. “It is not right to send people to hell.” Her future career options will now presumably exclude any PR role for the Afghan government – the last thing you want when you are trying to reconstruct your country after 40 years of war and unrest is for a social media star likening it to the underworld.  

But as regards the future of Sweden, the only winners that I can see from this will be the Sweden Democrats, who have promised to tighten immigration law further, and who are already trailing the Social Democrats by only a narrow margin. Maybe, if they do reach office, they will reward Ms Ersson with a peace prize.

SEE ALSO

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    Annafalk said:

The 52 yr old afghan man being deported, had been serving time for assult, that was not the reason for his deportation though. It was considered safe for him to be deported. The girl Elin has said she knew nothing about this man but wanted to save him because of he is a human. I found an article about this subject also.

COFFEE HOUSE

25 July 2018

If the Sweden Democrats, an anti-immigration party, triumphs in the country’s general election on 9 September it won’t be thanks to Vladimir Putin, no matter how many Swedes fear his drones are trying to swamp them with internet propaganda. It will be Elin Ersson wot swung it for them – along with the police and authorities at Gothenburg Airport. Ms Ersson filmed herself refusing to sit down on a Turkey-bound plane until a failed asylum-seeker, who was being deported to Afghanistan, was removed. He duly was.   

Students have been doing this sort of thing for decades, of course – albeit without the benefit of live-streaming on social media, but just why did the airport authorities make it so easy for Ms Ersson? There is now some talk of her being prosecuted, even jailed – something which would be over the top, achieve nothing but generate sympathy and is highly unlikely to happen. On the other hand, she could quite easily have been removed by the simple expedient of having two polite security guards or police officers lift her up by the arms and carry her off, allowing the plane to take off as planned.

By failing to do this, and granting her demands, Gothenburg’s airport authorities have sent out a very loud ‘welcome’ to other protestors. If it is really that easy for a moon-faced student on social media to have an asylum-seeker removed from a plane, how attractive it must be to others to head for the nearest Swedish airport and stage their own stand-up protest? Angry that your IKEA shelves fell apart after three months? No problem – just live-stream yourself on a plane on the tarmac at Gothenburg Airport and you’ll get your money back, no problem. More worryingly, what message does it send to terrorists and hijackers about security presence at the airport?  

You have to admire Ms Ersson’s brazenness. But the ease with which she got her way won’t, I suspect, go down well with a good many Swedish voters who were relieved that finally – it seemed – a tough stance was being taken on migration. Sweden’s naivety in putting out the welcome mat to all and sundry has resulted in 400,000 asylum applications in the past five years – one for every 25 of the existing population. Only belatedly has the social democrat-led government realised that it isn’t easy for a small country to integrate such numbers of migrants, especially when there is such a heavy bias towards men: in 2016 Sweden received 91,146 male migrants and 71,859 female ones.

Uncontrolled migration has resulted in what many Swedes regard as localised breakdowns in law and order – which included a remarkable 35 grenade attacks in 2016, somewhat a novelty in Scandinavia. Finally, two years ago the government responded to growing anger at the uncontrolled nature of migration. Tougher rules were put in place regarding asylum applications and repatriations of failed asylum-seekers speeded up (although there remains a huge backlog in applications).

And then comes along Ms Ersson and throws a spanner in the system by refusing to sit down on a plane. “I am trying to change my country’s rules, I don’t like them,” she bleated. “It is not right to send people to hell.” Her future career options will now presumably exclude any PR role for the Afghan government – the last thing you want when you are trying to reconstruct your country after 40 years of war and unrest is for a social media star likening it to the underworld.  

But as regards the future of Sweden, the only winners that I can see from this will be the Sweden Democrats, who have promised to tighten immigration law further, and who are already trailing the Social Democrats by only a narrow margin. Maybe, if they do reach office, they will reward Ms Ersson with a peace prize.

SEE ALSO

Well, that’s certainly pretty biased, as well as sexist. If the author is going to describe a woman’s speech as “bleating”, I’m likely not going to pay much attention to him. 

And is he really trying to argue that Afghanistan isn’t a fairly dangerous place? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I read that some parts of the country is considered safe, but in a whole it seems unsafe. There is also a lot of poverty. 
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

COFFEE HOUSE

25 July 2018

SEE ALSO

Well, that’s certainly pretty biased, as well as sexist. If the author is going to describe a woman’s speech as “bleating”, I’m likely not going to pay much attention to him. 

And is he really trying to argue that Afghanistan isn’t a fairly dangerous place? 
    Well said on both.