Options

Eddie Vedder's "The Wolf" in "Meru"

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
Eddie's vocalization piece, "The Wolf" was used to such great advantage in what has to be one of the finest mountain climbing documentary films ever made, "Meru".  This film has it all- an amazing, sometimes heartbreaking story, several really fine people- Jimmy Chin, Conrad Ankar, Renan Ozturk, Jon Krakaur, Grace Chin, Amee Hinkley and Jennifer Lowe-Anker-, great cinematography, breath-taking scenery-- excellent in every way.  And hearing Eddies vocals in just the right places places works so well.  If you haven't seen this film, I can't recommend it highly enough.  It's just that great.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,467
    Thanks for the heads up Brian. I see that it is on Netflix so will check it out. 
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:
    Thanks for the heads up Brian. I see that it is on Netflix so will check it out. 
    Sure thing, TJ!  I hope you like it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    Thanks, will check it out
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    I don't mountain climb, but there's not many outdoor docs on Netflix, and I ended up watching one on the history of climbing in Yosemite. I found it completely fascinating.... I'll have to track this one down.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Zod said:
    I don't mountain climb, but there's not many outdoor docs on Netflix, and I ended up watching one on the history of climbing in Yosemite. I found it completely fascinating.... I'll have to track this one down.
    Yeah, that Yosemite documentary is great.  If you like this sort of thing, you'll love "Meru".  Truly amazing real footage.

Another superb film is "Everest: IMAX",  David Breashears excellent IMAX film made shortly after the 1996 Everest disaster written  about by Krakauer in Into Thin Air.  It's even spectacular on home viewing and it has some incredible cinematography.  Excellent real footage taken on Everest.  I'm going to buy this DVD to see over and over as well.

Correction:  Netflix simply lists it as "Everest".  It's a MacGillivray film directed by David Braeshears (who I think came up with the idea).  It looks like this:

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    I watched this on your suggestion.  Enjoyed it.
    These guys are really selfish.
    Too selfish?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    Too selfish?
    Selfish?  Meru? I don't see that.  Did you not hear the part where, after failing their first attempt, expedition leader Conrad Ankar willingly gave another expedition leader all the information and tips he could and said that if they made it first that would be ok and how he said "It's not our mountain"?  Where do you get "selfish" out of this?

Or did you mean the movie, Everest?  I don't understand.

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    brianlux said:
    Malroth said:
    Too selfish?
    Selfish?  Meru? I don't see that.  Did you not hear the part where, after failing their first attempt, expedition leader Conrad Ankar willingly gave another expedition leader all the information and tips he could and said that if they made it first that would be ok and how he said "It's not our mountain"?  Where do you get "selfish" out of this?

I was thinking of their families.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    brianlux said:
    Malroth said:
    Too selfish?

I was thinking of their families.
    In the Meru extras there's a short segment called "The Calling" in which Jon Krakauer talks about how some people end up doing what they do, specifically how it is that some people (men and women) end up being mountaineers and climbers.  It is what they are drawn to.  And in  his fine book, No Shortcuts to the Top, Ed Viestures talks about the difficulties of being a mountain climber and having a family.  Yes, it's difficult and it does put a strain on the family, but I don't see that as being selfish any more than anyone doing a dangerous job is being selfish.  And I think in most cases, women or men who marry mountain climbers generally know what they are getting into.  I suppose you could call being true to one's calling "selfish".  Maybe I place to much negativity on the word.  Maybe we are all selfish that way. 

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,355
    :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024