Options

Would You Like Pearl Jam to Play No Repeats for Back to Back Shows This Tour?

13»

Comments

• Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Maybe just a few repeats.
    JimmyV said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    JimmyV said:
    As is, in most two night runs the only songs likely to be repeated are Alive, Evenflow, Corduroy and sometimes Better Man. Pretty much everything else changes from the night before when they play the same city twice.
    You left out "Do the Evolution" and "Porch". Those are pretty much a given at any show, even multiple nights. 
    DTE maybe but not Porch. It's usually Porch to close a set one night and Rearviewmirror to close a set the next.
    Yeah, that may be tend to be the norm but I know they did "Porch" both nights for Toronto in 2016 and as well as the shows in 2011. I guess it just depends on if they're feeling it or not. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    kathynekkathynek of the earth Posts: 59
    YES! A completely different set list each night with no repeats!!!
    Don't they know I have songs to knock off my "have yet to hear list?" NO REPEATS please for the back-to-back same city shows!
    * St. Louis, MO - 02 July 1998 * Chicago, IL - 09 Oct 2000 * St. Louis, MO - 11 Oct 2000
    * Champaign, IL - 23 April 2003 * Las Vegas, NV - 06 June 2003 * Kansas City, KS - 12 June 2003
    * Chicago, IL - 18 June 2003 * St. Louis, MO - 05 Oct 2004 * Chicago, IL - 16 May 2006
    * Milwaukee, WI - 29 June 2006 * Chicago, IL - 05 Aug 2007 * Chicago, IL - 24 Aug 2008
    * Nashville, TN - 17 June 2009 * Nashville, TN - 18 June 2009 * Chicago, IL - 23 Aug 2009
    * St. Louis, MO - 04 May 2010 * Chicago, IL - 28 June 2011 * St. Louis, MO - 01 July 2011
    * East Troy, WI - 03 Sept 2011 * East Troy, WI - 04 Sept 2011 * Chicago, IL - 19 July 2013
    * Chicago, IL - 09 July 2015  * Chicago, IL 20 Aug 2016  * Chicago, IL - 18 Aug 2018 
    * Chicago, IL - 20 Aug 2018  * 2020 NO LUCK! :(
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    Kearn5y said:
    Manchester 2012
    2 shows, 52 songs played, only 4 repeats over the 2 nights. Cant get much better than that.
    Ah but they can, 2009 Spectrum 4 show event, I believe there were 4 to 6 repeated songs, I counted back then I believe they did over 110 different songs in 4 shows. What a week that was. And for anyone who chimes in, Friday, Spectrum 3 show was best set list of my PJ shows. Saturday show was epic in length, I was 2nd row in front of Mike, but Friday was highlight show of all 4 for me.  
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Other.
    Whatever they want to play is A okay with me.
  • Options
    DW139059DW139059 Posts: 353
    In 2016 I attended the Greenville and Columbia shows (PJ SC Tour 2016!  Wooo!!)...  After some analysis, they duplicated 11 songs between the 2 nights.  They werent back to back nights, they played Hampton and (would have) played Raleigh in between the two SC gigs.  3 of the "repeats" were Vs songs, so ya figured they werent NOT going to play ANYthing from Vs.  They closed both nights with YL, not unusual I guess...  There was a portion of the Columbia show, early on, where they played 6 tunes in a row they played 5 nights earlier in Greenville, and I'll be honest and say that portion of the night lagged a bit, for me. But also gotta say, while they did also repeat Corduroy, it was really refreshing and different to hear it in the middle of the 1st encore in Col. Its usually a 1st set, early, type of song.  Really cool to hear it where they played it, setlist wise.  All that said, both were great, awesome nights with different moods and feels!!  
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Greenville '16, Columbia '16
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    DW139059 said:
    In 2016 I attended the Greenville and Columbia shows (PJ SC Tour 2016!  Wooo!!)...  After some analysis, they duplicated 11 songs between the 2 nights.  They werent back to back nights, they played Hampton and (would have) played Raleigh in between the two SC gigs.  3 of the "repeats" were Vs songs, so ya figured they werent NOT going to play ANYthing from Vs.  They closed both nights with YL, not unusual I guess...  There was a portion of the Columbia show, early on, where they played 6 tunes in a row they played 5 nights earlier in Greenville, and I'll be honest and say that portion of the night lagged a bit, for me. But also gotta say, while they did also repeat Corduroy, it was really refreshing and different to hear it in the middle of the 1st encore in Col. Its usually a 1st set, early, type of song.  Really cool to hear it where they played it, setlist wise.  All that said, both were great, awesome nights with different moods and feels!!  
    It is cool to hear a repeat song in a different part of the night for sure!!!
  • Options
    If Phish can play 13 nights in a row without a repeat then I'm pretty sure PJ can do two nights in a row.

Someone should play around with back to back setlists with no repeats!
  • Options
    This summer will be my first experience of back to back shows in London.  I'm so excited already, quite frankly they can play what the hell they like! They won't disappoint 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    edited February 2018
    We are very lucky that we have them do the sets that they do. Sure no repeats would be great but damn if they aren't near perfection with their tours sets right now as it is. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Plenty of casual fan favorites to spread over two nights.  Here is 20 pretty popular songs.  10 per night is almost 30% of a 35 song setlist.  And I'm probably forgetting a couple.  This seems very doable and I think it would be pretty awesome to have zero repeats.

Jeremy
    Betterman
    Even Flow
    Last Kiss
    Daughter
    DTE
    Corduroy
    Alive
    Black
    Small Town
    Given To Fly
    Just Breathe
    Porch
    State Of Love And Trust
    Rearviewmirror
    Rockin' In The Free World
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Unthought Known
    The Fixer
    Sirens

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    This is the easiest poll ever
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    This is the easiest poll ever
    Let's get this rolling again!!!
  • Options
    Fenway '16..... 6.5 Hours...68 Songs....3 Repeats

Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    Lots of new faces on here!  What say you?
  • Options
    ScreamHello_33ScreamHello_33 Orlando, FL Posts: 57
    I know there's more people on a PJ site that would rather hear Bugs than another Alive or Evenflow, but you have to think of the casual fan.  If you were a casual fan who went to a $200 Rolling Stones concert, and they didn't play Start Me Up, Jumpin Jack Flash or Satisfaction because they played 'em last night.....and instead wanted to play some deeper blues cuts from "A Bigger Bang"....you'd be pretty upset.....no?
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,865

Technically 6 repeats (Alive, Even Flow, DTE, MYM, Corduroy, Draw the Line). Still pretty good.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    I know there's more people on a PJ site that would rather hear Bugs than another Alive or Evenflow, but you have to think of the casual fan.  If you were a casual fan who went to a $200 Rolling Stones concert, and they didn't play Start Me Up, Jumpin Jack Flash or Satisfaction because they played 'em last night.....and instead wanted to play some deeper blues cuts from "A Bigger Bang"....you'd be pretty upset.....no?
    MP59559 said:

Technically 6 repeats (Alive, Even Flow, DTE, MYM, Corduroy, Draw the Line). Still pretty good.
    See, it can be done!

There are all sorts of covers and deep cuts that are good that they can do.

Won't Back Down, Redemption Song, Leavin Here, Against the 70's are 4 that pop right in my head.

Phish did 13 days and no repeats...  Just think about that.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    Would love to at least get Red Mosquito once at Fenway this time.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm okay with a few repeats, but also would be totally cool with none.
    If you knew going into it they were not playing any songs and they played your favorite songs on night one and you only had tix to night two that would kind of stink.

So i'm okay with some repeats, but i would not riot if there were none :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep said:
    I'm okay with a few repeats, but also would be totally cool with none.
    If you knew going into it they were not playing any songs and they played your favorite songs on night one and you only had tix to night two that would kind of stink.

So i'm okay with some repeats, but i would not riot if there were none :)
    This is why I LOVE not knowing what they will be playing!  It's always a different show!
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    I posted 20 pretty big PJ songs above.  Would the casual fan not be happy with 10 of these in a night?  Im not saying replace Alive with Bugs.  But I do think it would be pretty awesome with their extensive catalogue to see no repeats in a two night stand with 10 of their "staples" in each of the nights.  I think many of fans would love to hear "Smile" one night instead of "Even Flow" and "Betterman" both nights.  

Either way they dont repeat much as it is and Ive never left a show disappointed so obviously what they do now is fantastic.  Just think it would be pretty awesome to hear around 70 different PJ songs in two nights!
  • Options
    I posted 20 pretty big PJ songs above.  Would the casual fan not be happy with 10 of these in a night?  Im not saying replace Alive with Bugs.  But I do think it would be pretty awesome with their extensive catalogue to see no repeats in a two night stand with 10 of their "staples" in each of the nights.  I think many of fans would love to hear "Smile" one night instead of "Even Flow" and "Betterman" both nights.  

Either way they dont repeat much as it is and Ive never left a show disappointed so obviously what they do now is fantastic.  Just think it would be pretty awesome to hear around 70 different PJ songs in two nights!
    You could replace Bugs with Alive and I would be totally fine with it but I'm in the minority, lol.

I was getting bored of Porch and the light balls in 16 though.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    I'm going to love whatever they play.. but I have a few songs on my bucket list yet that I would love to hear. So let's make this happen. Happy to assist the band crafting the setlist if they want to reach out to me.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I would really like to hear more songs written after 1998
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    I would really like to hear more songs written after 1998
    You can get two, what are they?
  • Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    I don't mind repeats like GTF, DTE, Corduroy since the crowd is crazy during them ... but i would like to see them cut back on the 'standard' covers like RITFW.  I'd also like to see less predictability in the placement of songs like Alive, Black, Release, etc.  Newcastle 2006 is one of my all-time favorite bootlegs and a high point is the Alive opener ... a song i never get amped up for when i see it coming in its inevitable spot mid-2nd encore.

And it's a lot easier for Phish not to repeat songs when an entire set consists of:

Garbage Song, Longer Garbage Song, 20 Minute Garbage Song on trampolines, Shorter Garbage Song with midtempo bass solo, Tweezer, Intermission
  • Options
    Discopij said:
    I don't mind repeats like GTF, DTE, Corduroy since the crowd is crazy during them ... but i would like to see them cut back on the 'standard' covers like RITFW.  I'd also like to see less predictability in the placement of songs like Alive, Black, Release, etc.  Newcastle 2006 is one of my all-time favorite bootlegs and a high point is the Alive opener ... a song i never get amped up for when i see it coming in its inevitable spot mid-2nd encore.

And it's a lot easier for Phish not to repeat songs when an entire set consists of:

Garbage Song, Longer Garbage Song, 20 Minute Garbage Song on trampolines, Shorter Garbage Song with midtempo bass solo, Tweezer, Intermission
    Good post!  I'd love to see Animal or DTE as an opener and kill it for the first set and make us, the crowd, exhausted!

The Phish fans would disagree with your take, lol!