Options

People Outliving Their Means

bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
edited January 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Just doing a lot of reading here and in various Facebook groups etc. and it seems like a lot of people are outliving their means. I see a lot of posts like "Hate to do this but had some bills come up and need to sell ______ (vinyl, posters, etc.) Why do people put themselves in these situations. I may get flamed for this but why do people continually put themselves in these situations?

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. 

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Not gonna flame you because I've seen similarly...but, sometimes you just can't know about others' circumstances - illness, lost job, simple hunger, electricity turned off, who knows.  That said, irresponsibility and poor choices will always happen.  Hopefully people learn from their actions - or situations out of their control bear more fruit for them.

We were in a bad financial spot over ten years ago; had to sell some stuff to make our mortgage.  Shit happens, no shame.  I am happy to say that more than 13 years later - now - our credit scores are near perfect, and we only owe on my car (0% interest!) and what's left on our condo.

Your last line, agreed (if possible?).

• Options
    Illness causes this i can testify i collected lots when i had plenty of money and a good income.
    Illness took all of that and i had to sell all of it . Not even a choice.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Very good points. Both of you. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    People forget how long ago so many people got caught doing this.  Not everyone can afford to be big spenders.  
    However....it could be that they had some expenses pop up that were easier dealt with by selling some items that had gone up in value vs. hitting their bank accounts.  Great for them, if so.  That is what should happen with investments.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I'm not gonna lie, I was a little whiskey buzzed last night when I posted this :lol: I just kept seeing a bunch of posts on Facebook and here and was like "Do you people not manage your money or have emergency funds established before you splurge?" 

Apologies if I struck a nerve with anyone that read the OP. It's entirely possible that BIG unexpected expenses could come up at anytime that even a well funded emergency account couldn't cover. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I agree, big unexpected expenses can come about such as Pearl Jam concerts, vinyls, posters.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    When u have FB and people showing off what they have it can/could make others want to try and keep up with the Jones'.  I'm guilty of showing off my collection but it's meant to show others what's out there.  

I do see people throwing very large sums of money at PJ prints, memorabilia and am quite shocked still.  I mean $100 for a pair of socks?

Y'all cray.  Thank you for them but still y'all cray!
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    I'm not gonna lie, I was a little whiskey buzzed last night when I posted this :lol: I just kept seeing a bunch of posts on Facebook and here and was like "Do you people not manage your money or have emergency funds established before you splurge?" 

Apologies if I struck a nerve with anyone that read the OP. It's entirely possible that BIG unexpected expenses could come up at anytime that even a well funded emergency account couldn't cover. 

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I also think it is easier to say "I need to pay some bills" than it is "I believe these items are at the top of their value and I want to cash out"
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I also think it is easier to say "I need to pay some bills" than it is "I believe these items are at the top of their value and I want to cash out"
    Great point there too. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    MayDay10 said:
    Excellent point. 
    (Although I still believe there are people spending a whacked amount of money on things w/o saving for their college tuition for the kids, life insurance policies, retirement, etc.  Totally up to the individual -- taken in a much, much larger sense than the PJ Fan crowd, I believe this to be the truth.) 
    I spend too much on lots of things -- but I also take care of our priorities first.  Before we took in the nephew and had the kid?  Holy shit, I spent so much more than I do now on overall useless shit.  (But, it was fun!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited January 2018
    Hedo is right about circumstances beyond one's control... But that said, YES, a LOT of people simply live waaaaay beyond their means and rack up insane amounts of consumer debt and get a mortgage they can't afford because they were raised by the baby boomers and so feel like the minimum standard to living is really really high and feel like they have to live up to that, even though times have changed so that a nice stable job with a nice above average salary doesn't do much at all. So people use their credit cards to buy new furniture, a big screen TV or two, a nice smartphone every few years, they spend insane amounts of money on clothes, and don't even get me started on how expensive it is to own a car. And on top of that they develop an expensive concert and merch hobby and still go out for dinners, etc etc. But salaries haven't kept pace at all. People can't afford to just maintain the standards they are used to from the 70s, 80s, and even 90s. That is why the average consumer debt rate in a lot of places is up to 170% of household income, and the majority of people are only $200 away from not being able to pay their bills every month even though they have higher than average salaries. And an emergency fund?? For a lot of people that is just called "the credit card that isn't maxed out" ... Then at some point reality inevitably comes crashing down... and people start selling their collections.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2018
    The only thing I have ever done that was beyond my means was get an education. First (and still only) one in my family to go to college, and I still think they're all way smarter for getting jobs out of high school. They don't owe anyone a damn thing.

And that debt just keeps getting higher. I think it's close to $250,000 now. I think I've taken out enough life insurance to cover it when I die, but that's the only way it will ever be paid off.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yeah, it's just the American Dream come true.
    I could go on all day on this subject because I'm a simple country guy that doesn't spend money, but I will spare you all lol
    I will say, people wasting money on new stuff when you can get good used stuff is a big pet peeve.

We have a pontoon boat and an RV and we take 4 weeklong vacations a year, so it's not like we don't have fun, but our camping vacations cost 250$ a week and our boat and RV have the combined age of a senior citizen lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    The only thing I have ever done that was beyond my means was get an education. First (and still only) one in my family to go to college, and I still think they're all way smarter for getting jobs out of high school. They don't owe anyone a damn thing.

And that debt just keeps getting higher. I think it's close to $250,000 now. I think I've taken out enough life insurance to cover it when I die, but that's the only way it will ever be paid off.
    Ugh, yeah, student load debt is just fucking horrible. Since I live in Canada, I managed to escape with only about $11,000 or something and just worked to pay for the rest at the time, but even that tiny amount was a bitch to pay off once I graduated, so holy shit, I can barely even wrap my mind around $250K in student debt. That's fucking ridiculous. What a fucked up system that that is even possible.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    rgambs said:
    I could go on all day on this subject because I'm a simple country guy that doesn't spend money, but I will spare you all lol
    I will say, people wasting money on new stuff when you can get good used stuff is a big pet peeve.

We have a pontoon boat and an RV and we take 4 weeklong vacations a year, so it's not like we don't have fun, but our camping vacations cost 250$ a week and our boat and RV have the combined age of a senior citizen lol
    I don't spend much money because I don't have much money because I live in a place where the cost of living is completely and madly out of control compared to salaries. I've got an above average salary and am still pretty damn poor and basically living pay cheque to pay cheque, to the point where I have to really, really sweat the decision to just go down to Seattle for a few days. It blows (although luckily I don't have to worry about possible illness or anything - the threat of sudden big medical bills is not a risk where I am, thank god). And I have been in consumer debt because of this high cost of living/stagnant salary problem, and because I wanted to not live in poverty even though I had no money.... Luckily I recently dug myself out of said debt.... And I am working really hard to keep it that way. I found that when I was in debt I was pretty much in denial about it. I just went along my merry way thinking it's not so bad because mine was actually pretty far below the average debt load carried by people and I was still able to maintain an excellent credit rating by paying at least the minimum payments 100% of the time ... The thing is, the average debt load carried by people is INSANE, mostly because of the reasons I mentioned in my last post. So it's not acceptable even to be well below that crazy number. I was real close to being incapable of digging out, and I know so many people are far deeper in that I ever was. It's pretty scary. There will be a "reckoning" soon enough. This kind of credit economy cannot sustain itself. Everyone hang on to your britches because it could get nasty.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I don't spend much money because I don't have much money because I live in a place where the cost of living is completely and madly out of control compared to salaries. I've got an above average salary and am still pretty poor, to the point where I have to really, really sweat the decision to just go down to Seattle for a few days. It blows. And I have been in consumer debt because of this and because I wanted to not live in poverty even though I had no money.... Luckily I recently dug myself out of said debt.... And I am working really hard to keep it that way. I found that when I was in debt I was pretty much in denial about it. I just went along my merry way thinking it's not so bad because mine was actually pretty well below the average debt load carried by people... The thing is, the average debt load carried by people is INSANE. So it's hardly acceptable to be well below that crazy number. I was real close to being incapable of digging out, and I know so many people are far deeper in that I ever was. It's pretty scary. There will be a "reckoning" soon enough. This kind of credit economy cannot sustain itself. Everyone hang on to your britches because it could get nasty.
    We have 345k in debt lol
    Student loans, mortgage, and an optometry practice.

We don't spend beyond our means, we actually spend/spent way less than our peer group.  It's crazy to think that at 30 years old, if we spent like average we would have close to 800k in debt!
  • Options
    We are on our second "owned" property now, and I still think it's fucking stupid. We don't own our house; some fucking bank does. I would rather pay a nice landlady/landlord than a fucking bank!

People tell me that I'm "building my equity." I worked on Wall Street for more than 10 years and still have no clue what that means, and it's pointless to try to explain it to me. So don't try. My eyes will glaze over two syllables into it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I don't spend much money because I don't have much money because I live in a place where the cost of living is completely and madly out of control compared to salaries. I've got an above average salary and am still pretty poor, to the point where I have to really, really sweat the decision to just go down to Seattle for a few days. It blows. And I have been in consumer debt because of this and because I wanted to not live in poverty even though I had no money.... Luckily I recently dug myself out of said debt.... And I am working really hard to keep it that way. I found that when I was in debt I was pretty much in denial about it. I just went along my merry way thinking it's not so bad because mine was actually pretty well below the average debt load carried by people... The thing is, the average debt load carried by people is INSANE. So it's hardly acceptable to be well below that crazy number. I was real close to being incapable of digging out, and I know so many people are far deeper in that I ever was. It's pretty scary. There will be a "reckoning" soon enough. This kind of credit economy cannot sustain itself. Everyone hang on to your britches because it could get nasty.
    We have 345k in debt lol

We don't spend beyond our means, we actually spend/spent way less than our peer group.  It's crazy to think that at 30 years old, if we spent like average we would have close to 800k in debt!
    Well, mortgage and business investment is different ... That isn't included when talking about "consumer debt". That is included in overall household debt though, and those numbers are obviously staggering. But at least with mortgage you've got an investment on your hands, and obviously business debt is at least supposed to pay for itself via the business. Not so with other kinds of debt, obviously. Student loans are different too, but at least as damaging as consumer debt despite the benefits they allowed for. It's the random credit card debt that is insane, because it is just irresponsible, pure and simple. It brings no returns 99.9% of the time. It is just money down the drain for the sake of some unnecessary luxuries. That said, it is very hard to resist, especially when it comes to using it to make life worth living, like for travelling and shit.

(are you an optometrist rgambs? I don't think I knew that if you are)
  • Options
    dankind said:
    We are on our second "owned" property now, and I still think it's fucking stupid. We don't own our house; some fucking bank does. I would rather pay a nice landlady/landlord than a fucking bank!

People tell me that I'm "building my equity." I worked on Wall Street for more than 10 years and still have no clue what that means, and it's pointless to try to explain it to me. So don't try. My eyes will glaze over two syllables into it.
    This is exactly why I rent.

I do not want to buy a typical Long Island house for 350,000K then have to update it and gut the walls down to the studs to fix the shoddy work that Merle and Anthony did back in the day for another 100-150K then my taxes would go up because I decided to make my house more economical/livable and get penalized for doing it,  so instead of 12K a year I now have to pay 18K a year and with the new tax breaks/laws I can not write off the full amount so there goes more out of pocket expense...

Welcome to NY!

I do get to spend the money that I chose NOT to buy a house on concerts and experiences though.

• Options
    dankind said:

I do not want to buy a typical Long Island house for 350,000K then have to update it and gut the walls down to the studs to fix the shoddy work that Merle and Anthony did back in the day for another 100-150K then my taxes would go up because I decided to make my house more economical/livable and get penalized for doing it,  so instead of 12K a year I now have to pay 18K a year and with the new tax breaks/laws I can not write off the full amount so there goes more out of pocket expense...

Welcome to NY!

I do get to spend the money that I chose NOT to buy a house on concerts and experiences though.

I don't live in NY but I go back and forth on whether or not I should buy a house ALL THE TIME
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

We have 345k in debt lol

Well, mortgage and business investment is different ... That isn't included when talking about "consumer debt". That is included in overall household debt though, and those numbers are obviously staggering. But at least with mortgage you've got an investment on your hands, and obviously business debt is at least supposed to pay for itself via the business. Not so with other kinds of debt, obviously. Student loans are different too, but at least as damaging as consumer debt despite the benefits they allowed for. It's the random credit card debt that is insane, because it is just irresponsible, pure and simple. It brings no returns 99.9% of the time. It is just money down the drain for the sake of some unnecessary luxuries. That said, it is very hard to resist, especially when it comes to using it to make life worth living, like for travelling and shit.

No, Becca is the brains of the operation and I'm the muscle lol
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well, my parents paid off their house in full and now the bank doesn't own shit. Yes, it took them 30 years. But now it's theirs. So assuming you intend to actually pay off the entire thing, I think it's good. Plus, even if you don't and sell it, and assuming the housing market goes up and up, then you're good too. The problem comes when you either can't even pay it off, or when the market crashes and can't even sell it for what you bought it for. But for everyone I know, because of where I live, they are all going to make out like bandits if the market doesn't crash. If they bought a house for $300K 8 years ago, it is worth at least $800K+ now. It's crazy. The only problem is that if they sell now, sure, they made a ton of money, but they can't upgrade their home at all because all the other homes increased in value in the same crazy fucking way. Best to just stay put... which I guess makes it all completely moot, lol.
    There is definitely something to be said for renting. It's not just the interest on the mortgage, but you never have to pay all that money for maintenance and shit (not to mention all the time you save for the same reason). However, assuming the market does not crash, renting provides you with zero security in retirement, and that's kind of scary.... although in a lot of cases, the old folks who own their homes that went up so much in value now find that they can't even pay the property taxes that skyrocket with every annual assessment. It's terrible. I rent, and given the housing market I just described here, I am never going to own.... and I just have to pray that my pension, the Canada Pension Plan, old age security, and whatever my parents have left to leave me will keep a roof over my head when I'm old.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

We have 345k in debt lol

No, Becca is the brains of the operation and I'm the muscle lol
    :lol: A perfect pair then!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, my parents paid off their house in full and now the bank doesn't own shit. Yes, it took them 30 years. But now it's theirs. So assuming you intend to actually pay off the entire thing, I think it's good. Plus, even if you don't and sell it, and assuming the housing market goes up and up, then you're good too. The problem comes when you either can't even pay it off, or when the market crashes and can't even sell it for what you bought it for. But for everyone I know, because of where I live, they are all going to make out like bandits if the market doesn't crash. If they bought a house for $300K 8 years ago, it is worth at least $800K+ now. It's crazy. The only problem is that if they sell now, sure, they made a ton of money, but they can't upgrade their home at all because all the other homes increased in value in the same crazy fucking way. Best to just stay put... which I guess makes it all completely moot, lol.
    There is definitely something to be said for renting. It's not just the interest on the mortgage, but you never have to pay all that money for maintenance and shit (not to mention all the time you save for the same reason). However, assuming the market does not crash, renting provides you with zero security in retirement, and that's kind of scary.... although in a lot of cases, the old folks who own their homes that went up so much in value now find that they can't even pay the property taxes that skyrocket with every annual assessment. It's terrible. I rent, and given the housing market I just described here, I am never going to own.... and I just have to pray that my pension, the Canada Pension Plan, old age security, and whatever my parents have left to leave me will keep a roof over my head when I'm old.
    Seattle has seen that type of BOOM with houses.

My sister bought  a cute little house for 285K.  Because of the light rail and Amazon building in the area her little house is worth 650K.

Her house doubled in 5 years time.  That's just dumb.

I keep telling her to take the equity, bulldoze the house and build new with that equity then sell it for a million+.  Take that money and go to the next up and comer and by you a bigger house.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Seattle has seen that type of BOOM with houses.

My sister bought  a cute little house for 285K.  Because of the light rail and Amazon building in the area her little house is worth 650K.

Her house doubled in 5 years time.  That's just dumb.

I keep telling her to take the equity, bulldoze the house and build new with that equity then sell it for a million+.  Take that money and go to the next up and comer and by you a bigger house.
    Yeah, that's probably the best option. My best friend is talking about doing the same, but to build a duplex on his property so that his parents can sell their house too, and they can share one property. Then they'd all be flush... But he'd have to live right next door to his parents, which is obviously making him hesitate. :lol:

For me, such a housing market is horrible just as a renter. There is the very real fear of being demovicted so developers can build condo towers where just a 1 bedroom unit goes for $800K. If that happens, I won't be able to find another rental that I can even come close to affording. The rental rates have skyrocketed right along with the housing prices. So yeah, if I lose the place I've rented for 17 years (so am therefore paying relatively low rent because it can only legally be increased by 2% plus inflation every year, and even that is just BRUTAL), I'm pretty much hooped. I'll have to eat rice and beans and never go out or buy anything new for the rest of the my life just to pay my rent.... Fuck I hate this place. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

We sold our place in Brooklyn for $250K more than we paid for it--and we only lived in that co-op for three years! Stupid! And a place just sold in the building for nearly $375K more than we paid for ours!

And as for the "stay put" thing. No thanks! I'll move somewhere else and rent.

I hate my state commonwealth and paying taxes to a state government that has done everything it can to oppose the will of its voters. I hate my old-as-fuck house. I hate my dumb-as-fuck Masshole neighbors. I hate their giant white heads and their ugly white faces and their atrocious fucking accents.

It's getting to the point at which I don't give a fuck anymore if my family wants to come with me. If it leads to divorce. Fine. 

I am mine. Goddamn it!

Plus, I'll probably get alimony. :triumph:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    A while ago, I found out about a documentary about a thing called "Minimalism". All of a sudden a looked around at what I owned realised I don't need that, or a could sell that. Or my favourite... I don't even use that. Within the next few months I had either donated, sold, or threw out a lot of what I didn't need or didn't use and realised I didn't miss anything that had left my home or garage. It really put thing into perspective that material things, for me, don't matter. Family, health, and having fun in life is what matters. You do not need that beautiful Munk Pittsburgh poster from a few years back, you want it. Focus on what matters in your life. Don't buy that new sofa because you're tired of yours, if it hasn't been worn out. Don't buy that nice car just because Conor McGregor did.

Just my input I am not trying to upset anybody.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Alimony =)

Our condo has quadrupled in value since purchased in 1991.  We're not looking to move, but rent for a comparable property here is way beyond our mortgage, even with homeowner dues.  It makes sense to stay put and see where life takes us.  Cost of living in this part of LA is pretty high, but it can be doable. 

FactoryMan, we're in just 700 sf, so even if we wanted to keep a bunch of shit around (which we don't), there's just no space.  It's cleansing to clear out stuff just taking up space.

(we do need a new sofa though - damned cat claws!)
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    dankind said:

Welcome to NY!

Sounds like IL my friend.  Same vicious cycle here.  I do own and am a believer in the value of owning, but the real estate taxes in states like IL, NY, NJ, etc are ridiculous and unsustainable.