Options

Your predictions for 2018

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
It's not likely that any one us us here will be able to predict with accuracy what will happen in any given arena in the the world but I thought it would be at least intersting to see what some of our predictions are for 2018.  Here are mine:

Economics:  I may as well start off with a topic I'm weak in.  Why not!  Get it out of the way.  So, OK, I'm not an economics major but I think I'm intelligent enough to know that most of the major financial institutions around the world are on shaky ground and are propped up by weak foundations.  From what I've read, I predict the Dow Jones Industrial Average will bob up and down but overall will lower significantly through this year.  I very much doubt cryptocurrencies will provide a safety net for invests.  Just last week Australia’s biggest banks froze the accounts of Bitcoin investors- that can't be a good sign.  In general, it seems to me that the world of finance will continue to weaken as it heads for an inevitable breakdown-- but I have only a vague notion of what that will look like.  One thing for sure- it won't be pretty.

North Korea:  Sooner or later this issue is going to explode.  But where will that happen?  It's been a strangely quiet topic lately.  Sleeping dogs or calm before the storm?  Hard to call.

Trump:  Well, he made it through his first year which is a bit of a surprise to most of us.  If you have enough money, you can get a way with almost anything.  So I believe anything could happen.  Or not.

Dems and Reps and Independents:  I believe both will continue to blunder along with little chance of independents making much impact on anything either.  I think 2018 will be a politically stagnant year with all swaps remaining undrained.

Environment: At the risk of sounding pessimistic, I don't see things improving much for Planet Earth.  I believe we will see Earth Overshoot arrive in mid to late July this year rather than in August as it has the last few years.  Watching the population clock is a good indicator of this.  Trump's impact breaking down of environmental protections will, of course, continue to be a factor.  The best I think we can hope for is that younger generations will grow more impatient with us older folks having dropped the ball and will become more active in calling for reduction of carbon in the atmosphere.  I do believe global warming deniers will grow smaller in number as the reality of climate change becomes more and more obvious.

Marijuana:  I would not be surprised at all to see legalization continue to spread.  And as much as I'm a fan of it's legalization, I sometimes wonder if this is being done as a way to keep people sedated.  I know some people think more creatively while high but I also know many just get numb or dumb while stones.  The good news (I hope!) is that at least we may get some good music out of it.

Music:  Speaking of... I don't see 2018 as being a big break through year for music.  Rock has pretty much run its course with a few older bands keeping the music going but even more bands simply rehashing the past with their nostalgia acts.  A few newer groups are putting out some interesting stuff but the interest over-all has stagnated. Sam for Rap/Hi Hop.  This is one area I would be delighted to see some BIG surprised in.  We'll see.

Major League Baseball: I predict (yeah, OK, hope) the Giants are going to make a major comeback but the Phillies are going to he hard to beat.

OK, so what did I miss and what are your predictions?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Aliens
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Aliens
    Haha!  Well that would just about take care of everything.  Bring 'em on!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Impeachment.  

Sorry brian, the giants aren't even going to win the NL west. Lol
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    my2hands said:
    Aliens
    The brown ones that talk funny and mow your lawn or the little green ones with 3 breasts?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    The economy is a very interesting thing. I’m no expert either and have read both extremes. In the end my unprofessional opinion is the corporate tax breaks result in the Dow having a great 2018. Not so sure about 2019...but I think the Dow rises.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The economy is a very interesting thing. I’m no expert either and have read both extremes. In the end my unprofessional opinion is the corporate tax breaks result in the Dow having a great 2018. Not so sure about 2019...but I think the Dow rises.
    It will be interesting to watch, for sure.  I do our family budget for monthly expenses but know next to nothing about investing so my wife handles our modest savings.  She has far more faith in the market than I do.  For me it's like setting off on the Lusitania.  The captain says it will outrun any problems but the charcoal burners sweats a bit. I fear one of these days, the torpedoes will strike.  I keep my little coin purse full of silver dimes as a life boat.

If the economy does go down (and I think sooner or later it must) I'm hoping I have enough stamina and gumption left to ride it out.  But I'm not sure it's a good time to be starting to run low on batteries.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Republicans will retain Congress, third parties will show drastic improvements on vote totals.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Republicans will retain Congress, third parties will show drastic improvements on vote totals.
    Which of the third parties do you see showing the most gains?  Anything significant?

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    unsung said:
    And this is based on pulling words from the air. 
  • Options
    unsung said:
    And this is based on pulling words from the air. 
    Business Insider sees a possible change coming in med-term elections:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/new-poll-foretell-democratic-party-wins-in-2018-2017-12

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Like 2016?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    Which of the third parties do you see showing the most gains?  Anything significant?
    I predict smaller races will see more candidates declaring Independent to avoid the toxicity of the GOP and Dems.  I think a lot of County level and State level could see the same, possibly a Libertarian or two.  
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited January 2018
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    I predict smaller races will see more candidates declaring Independent to avoid the toxicity of the GOP and Dems.  I think a lot of County level and State level could see the same, possibly a Libertarian or two.  
    Gary Johnson put a bad taste in people's mouths about libertarians. They are getting the reputation of being extremists. And I'm hearing that from Trump supporters.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind seeing some more third party action but we Americans are very stuck on tradition and slow to change.  I think we might be  more likely to see some shake ups within the two major parties before we see any third parties take much ground.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited January 2018
    Using your format...

Economics
    :  I am also week here.  I think the tax breaks are going to look good because I don't think the negatives are going to rear their heads too much for several years.  So we'll see some good market numbers; the kind of things that minimally help the people that think Trump is fighting for them. 

North Korea:  More hand-wringing.

Trump:  No change.  No impeachment.  No real threat from Mueller.  99% of the people in America will feel about him on December 31 as they do today.  

Dems and Reps and Independents:  Party first!  GOPers will continue to let Trump take the credit (that will one day be looked upon as the blame).  Dems will continue to be unsure what to do and will, at best, be the better-liked party by default.

2018 Elections:  Modest gain for the Dems in the house, but the GOP will retain the majority.  The GOP will gain in the Senate, as the Dems are pretty much playing defense in the Senate, unfortuantely.

Environment: I'm with the OP on this.  From a policy standpoint, the environment is going to take a beating.  

Marijuana:  Moving toward legalization will continue...not sure how many states will actually pass legislation, but movement will be forward, not backwards.

Music:  I'll continue to be stuck in the 1990s.

Sports: MLB and NFL will continue to struggle as people cut to cord and turn to soccer.  The NBA will still be riding somewhat high since LeBron will still be a star and the Warriors will still be a draw.  The Yankees will win at least 110 games.  My Wisconsin Badgers will miss the NCAA tournament for the fist time since 1999 but my Timberwolves will make the playoffs for the first time since 2004, ending the league's longest drought. 
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited January 2018
    the us gov't is a two party system

Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited January 2018
    Best Picture - Dunkirk
    Record of The Year - Bruno Mars, 24K Magic
    Super Bowl - New England Patriots
    World Series - Cleveland Indians
    Stanley Cup - Las Vegas Golden Showers (biggest fan, DT)
    NBA Championship - Golden State Warriors
    CFP - Georgia Bulldogs
    NCAA Basketball - Duke Blue Devils
    Game of Thrones doesn't air until 2019, pissing the world off
    Highest Grossing Film Of 2018 -Avengers, Infinity Wars
    Biggest Dud Film of 2018 - Pacific Rim - Who Cares What  the Sequel is Called
    # of Pearl Jam US Shows -- 6 (NYx2, Philly x2, Boston x2)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    my2hands said:
    Aliens
    The brown ones that talk funny and mow your lawn or the little green ones with 3 breasts?
    jesus christ I'm glad i wasn't eating when I read this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    CM189191 said:

Sure proff that Americans are slow to change.  SO yes, it is now but that only means the two parties dominate the system.  It is not a two-party system by law. It could change.  Nothing om Moses' tablets said anything about "thou shalt have a two party system." 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    the Canadian political system was a two party system for eons. Now we are what....5? 6? who knows. but it still hasn't really changed anything. the NDP has never won a federal election and neither the Greens have won maybe one federal seat. doesn't change much except more mouths bitching. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited January 2018
    the Canadian political system was a two party system for eons. Now we are what....5? 6? who knows. but it still hasn't really changed anything. the NDP has never won a federal election and neither the Greens have won maybe one federal seat. doesn't change much except more mouths bitching. 
    The other thing to remember is that the parties do change some over time.  But we know who really runs the show, right?!  Kaching!

OK, so back to our predictions.  Got any, anyone?

• Options
    Best Picture - Dunkirk
    CFP - Georgia Bulldogs

What no west coast shows?  :anguished:

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    brianlux said:
    Best Picture - Dunkirk
    CFP - Georgia Bulldogs

I was joking for many of them but I think this might be the most probably prediction to make -- no west coast shows.  :lol:

Sorry for those who live out west!  (Next year?)
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Best Picture - Dunkirk
    CFP - Georgia Bulldogs

I was joking for many of them but I think this might be the most probably prediction to make -- no west coast shows.  :lol:

I’ve heard west coast shows and baseball stadium show rumors. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Best Picture - Dunkirk
    CFP - Georgia Bulldogs

I think they're doing more gigs in South America this year than in the U.S., correct?

• Options
    I am in the UK.
    2018 prediction... things are gonna have to start changing or they are gonna get really bad.
    Issues with health funding, education, transport infrastructure... even before the leaving EU self-inflicted issues.

We need to start electing fewer dumb, self-serving politicians...
    But, I predict we will just end up being shite in the football world cup. And just complain about it all up the pub.
  • Options
    I am in the UK.
    2018 prediction... things are gonna have to start changing or they are gonna get really bad.
    Issues with health funding, education, transport infrastructure... even before the leaving EU self-inflicted issues.

We need to start electing fewer dumb, self-serving politicians...
    But, I predict we will just end up being shite in the football world cup. And just complain about it all up the pub.
    Great!  Some non-U.S. predictions, thanks!  What about Brexit, immigration issues, and other issues related to the UK and Europe?

And other parts of the world?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Best Picture - Dunkirk
    CFP - Georgia Bulldogs

I think they're doing more gigs in South America this year than in the U.S., correct?
    I would predict that but they have not announced the whole year's plans & I hope that I am incorrect.
    They should play 14x in Philly and 2 in NYC, 2 in Boston.
    :lol:

• Options
    We should hear US show announcements in February. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    I’m predicting that we maintain our current trajectory towards disaster (be it socioeconomic, political, environmental, or military), stemming from selfish people continuing to only show concern for ourselves, neglecting empathy or knowledge that says that what is best for the collective is typically best for us as individuals. We will continue to be close-minded and ignorant, except for those of us who are righteous but ineffective against such a massive and unwavering amount of ignorance. The aliens who hold the keys to enlightenment will move on to causes with probabilities of change that merit their presence.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1