Let's Play Two Fanviews Here

12346»

Comments

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    I watched this last night for free on Amazon since I'm a Prime Member (great benefit). It's awesome, I plan to buy the blu-ray once it's back in stock. My observations:

1. I'm an SF Giants fan and I was heartbroken when Cubs ended our even year mojo, but so glad they beat the hated Dodgers and won a very dramatic 7 game WS. It's interesting how the August concert was edited to make it seem like Pearl Jam were playing these songs in the thick of the WS hunt. The scenes of Eddie in October were seamlessly edited back into the film and most casual observers (non-baseball fans) probably didn't notice.
    2. Performance of Release for John was epic/heartwarming. And all the special guests they brought up on stage were very cool too. The All The Way performance was nice, but on a related note I watched the Cubs WS parade on ESPN and the commentators were so overblown in their assessment of the Cubs victory it made me sick. They seriously acted like it was the second coming and that the Cubs WS win was the only epic comeback in WS history. Sorry, not true - but so glad for Eddie and the Cub fans. As a Giants fan I'm spoiled now!
    3. Great song selection, they seemed to favor the first three albums which I don't mind, but hearing Lightning Bolt live made me like that song more.

Hope the band still wants to record a new album someday - maybe 2018? Great job Pearl Jam!
  • bbison said:
    This film sits squarely at the intersection of two of my passions: PJ and the Cubs. I was at all 3 Wrigley shows. I'm clearly the target audience here. It's a nice keepsake of a glorious year for both, but it feels like a missed opportunity to me. There's complete pro-shot footage of these shows sitting in the digital can somewhere, just begging to be let loose. 

I definitely enjoyed this, but can't see ever owning a copy, unless one shows up under the tree next month. Not something you'd watch multiple times. But put out a mega-deluxe Let's Play Two set with both 2016 shows complete, throw in a few goodies and damn...name your price--here's my credit card--take my money!

Until then, there's the authorized boots and YouTube I guess. 
    I agree, unfortunately. 

I was at all 3 shows, and had a blast at Wrigley (always do). But I'm a life long White Sox fan, I'm not going to really watch the documentary of the Cubs playoff run. I saw it once on MLB TV so I'm good. 

I wish this was was a concert film without the baseball tie in. 

But hey, great for people that are really enjoying it. And a great gift for Cubs/PJ fans.  I'll buy the boots. 
  • D.FrankD.Frank Posts: 486
    I dont like the film! The problem is that it is an PJ/CC film and not an PJ film.
    Two good concerts were filmed good but destroyed by this film.
    Some songs are not complete (cut/edited) and in some songs are "off" audio/video material.

• mans_amans_a Posts: 16
    As a non-baseball but hardcore PJ fan, I enjoyed it. Though next time I watch it I will skip all the baseball stuff. It wasn't amazing by any stretch, but still a nice treat
    14/09/2011 - Ottawa
    16/06/2014 - Amsterdam
    17/06/2014 - Amsterdam
    19/06/2018 - London
    25/06/2018 - Rome
    03/07/2018 - Krakow
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited December 2017
    mans_a said:
    As a non-baseball but hardcore PJ fan, I enjoyed it. Though next time I watch it I will skip all the baseball stuff. It wasn't amazing by any stretch, but still a nice treat
    I wasn't amazed by the movie either, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the experience at the time because I saw it in the theatre. The VIP one no less, so we were drinking the whole time, lounging in leather recliners and everything, lol. A very fun night out and highly entertaining on the big screen. I don't think I'll ever watch this film at home though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I had a chance to watch the DVD for the first time tonight, and I absolutely loved it! I'm not a big Cubs fan, but I found myself cheering them on. Of course by now I knew they had won the World Series, but it was still very moving to actually watch them win. Oh, and of course I enjoyed the PJ music! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited December 2017
    I wasn't amazed by the movie either, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the experience at the time because I saw it in the theatre. The VIP one no less, so we were drinking the whole time, lounging in leather recliners and everything, lol. A very fun night out and highly entertaining on the big screen. I don't think I'll ever watch this film at home though. 
    Not a Cubs fan either, but I enjoyed the film. I agree with you though, for me the MSG and Touring Band DVDs have better re-watch value. Too bad those aren't on Bluray. 
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 313
    Who's the Australian guy towards the beginning of the film. I sat with him outside Mexico City 2015 with his family. They were really cool,and a lot of fun to be around. Cool to see his face pop up in the movie.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Just watched it for the first time. I really enjoyed it, but no where near as much as I loved Immagine in cornice, PJ20, and Single Video Theory. Inside Job and Release were poignant, and the tears were flowing ... Also loveD the concert footage! 

But I would have like more Pearl Jam (not just Ed) ... there was hardly anything from Stone. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    VOLARE said:
    Who's the Australian guy towards the beginning of the film. I sat with him outside Mexico City 2015 with his family. They were really cool,and a lot of fun to be around. Cool to see his face pop up in the movie.
    I do not know the family but remember reading this review awhile ago. I think it is the same family. 

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/09/21/we-saw-pearl-jams-new-doco-and-it-was-not-what-we-expected/
  • KluenyKlueny Posts: 2
    I attended both nights at Wrigley and was initially really excited when I heard it would be turned into a concert film. I finally got around to watching it last night on Amazon Prime and I really do not see myself watching it again.  I love baseball, but not the Cubs (Twins fan here).  I just feel like they could have released an awesome full or double concert video with a half hour documentary on Eddie's love of the Cubs.  I have literally no desire to ever watch it again, which is a pity because both shows were fantastic. I do admit though, it is well made and I hope that others enjoy it.  
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    I agree about that after the first time I probably would not watch it again the way it is. The concert footage is excellent though. I do some editing sometimes, and looked at this as an opportunity to have some fun. With the bonus material and the digital downloads there are 23 songs altogether. I took the concert footage and the official SBD and pieced it together in the proper order of what was played and it now has a true concert feel. For my own viewing pleasure this is the version I enjoy and watch often.

I did extensive editing to remove the minor cutaways and replaced them with footage from the same song with distant stadium footage. It is not noticeable. 
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,054
    ^ I'm sure concert only edit is amazing! :) 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,905
    I like the movie, but I definitely wish they had made a deluxe boxset or something, that contained the unedited footage from both shows.    To me I don't mind the baseball stuff.   I love watching sports docs (especially the espn 30 for 30 ones).  To me it's what got lost from the Wrigley shows.   They edited out a lot of the stories ed was telling, and the super nostalgia he was having.   It's excellent concert footage, but by only using the songs, and editing in other footage between them, it feels like it missed capturing a little of the magic of the shows.  Then again.. maybe it's hard to put that on film.  Still with the kickass way the did the deluxe pj20 set, I really was hoping they'd include the full unedited shows.

That being said, some fans have made one for the 2nd night. It's pretty amazing.
  • I've watched it a half dozen times on all screen sizes (4" to 119") and various audio (mobile phone to Dolby 5.1) and it is incredible everywhere and every time! Beyond great. Wish I could have been there, but LP2 is by far IMHO the next best thing. 
    Cheers,
    Kent
  • ruffdogruffdog Posts: 69
    Let's Play Two is being shown for FREE at 3:30pm outside of Wrigley Field this Saturday & Monday before the shows!
  • ruffdog said:
    Let's Play Two is being shown for FREE at 3:30pm outside of Wrigley Field this Saturday & Monday before the shows!
    Awesome!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,601
    I just built up my courage to finally watch it this morning.  Good production.

Cried at the end.  That was a soul crushing loss for this Indians fan (a fan whose sports teams have never gone 'all the way').