Let's Play Two Fanviews Here

Comments

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,484
    Potential Spoiler:

Saw it tonight in Red Bank NJ. The sound was incredible.

The film was so well done. Heartfelt. Funny. And felt like I was back at Wrigley.

Thought the end was amazing. When the Cubs win and it's basically video for a song written 10 years ago.

What struck me most though was the overwhelming underlying theme of joy. The joy of people singing the songs. The bands faces. The shots of the crowd (bravo Danny Fucking Clinch). The worry on Eds face when he was worried they would lose. The opposite when they won.

But most of all just seeing people happy. All of us at the show. And everyone two months later. Communities.

After the last last two days it was just good to see happy people singing and dancing. 

Bring on a tour.

• The community of the fans, band really does shine through. 

Also so loved the connections with 92 and 13. A ton of very strong moments directed by Clinch. 
  • Mark Pellington who directed Jeremy was at the movie in Littleton, Colorado tonight.He did an intro and they played the directors cut of Jeremy before the movie. Crazy.
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Potential Spoiler:

Saw it tonight in Red Bank NJ. The sound was incredible.

The film was so well done. Heartfelt. Funny. And felt like I was back at Wrigley.

Thought the end was amazing. When the Cubs win and it's basically video for a song written 10 years ago.

What struck me most though was the overwhelming underlying theme of joy. The joy of people singing the songs. The bands faces. The shots of the crowd (bravo Danny Fucking Clinch). The worry on Eds face when he was worried they would lose. The opposite when they won.

But most of all just seeing people happy. All of us at the show. And everyone two months later. Communities.

After the last last two days it was just good to see happy people singing and dancing. 

Bring on a tour.

Just saw it in Red Bank tonight as well. Sat right in the front row center and loved every second of it. If you hate baseball and don't give a damn about Pearl Jam, I still don't know how you could walk away without being deeply moved by this film.

Masterfully shot and edited and told a beautiful story of passion, triumph, heart and the human spirit. My friends and I walked out exhilarated. I can't recommend it enough. 
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

Really fun night at the Gateway Film Center in Columbus...
    we sold out two theatres tonight & they added an encore screening tomorrow night!!
    So happy I saw it on the big screen and the sound was just incredible.
    I had goosebumps from the beginning notes of Low Light and have to admit...
    I did tear up a little bit during Inside Job and Release,
    GREAT stories and the performance was top-notch!!
    LOVED seeing the acoustic performance on the Murphy's Bleachers roof...
     and the fact that they played my favorite PJ song up there made it even sweeter!!
    The film itself is gorgeous...
    really liked the editing and seeing the wide shots of the stage and the audience.
    Super-stoked for the Blu-ray release and can't wait to see the bonus footage.

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• MEK42MEK42 Posts: 116
    Just got back from the North Hollywood showing. Really, really loved it. Not much of a baseball guy but I really loved the way the songs weaved in and out of the narrative. I was captivated the whole time. 
  • VikkivaleVikkivale Los Angeles, CA Posts: 222
    I'm so fired up!  I have the adrenaline feeling like after a show!  Pearl Jam has always been my therapy after a bad day..this screening came at the perfect time!  I saw it at the Arclight in Hollywood tonight.  Very glad that I saw this on the big screen!  I really had to contain myself to keep from singing...everyone in my row and in front of me was calmly sitting, so I didn't want to be disruptive.  
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    Two emotional moments in the film for me were "Inside Job" and "Release." 
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Excellent film.  Saw it tonight in Sacramento, wonderfully my group sat behind a group of fans that were super excited to be there.  So much fun.  The sound was perfect.  The vibe was amazing.  I was with a group of friends who have not been to a PJ sow before; this screening made them want to attend one; mission accomplished. It was truly enjoyable from Low Light to I've Got A Feeling.  So.Much.Fun.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,827
    edited October 2017
    Waiting for the film to start here in Melbourne Australia. Theatre half full (no pun intended) and the Gold Class session was sold out! 
    ----------------------------

Wow! In Jeff's own words from PJ20...Pure Stoke! I really enjoyed every minute of that film and the story of the music and the World Series was told seamlessly. Being from Australia I'm not a big baseball fan, but the film as a complete package came together so well!
    So many highlights...Murphys Bleachers, both PJ and Cubs fans, the bands interaction with each other, Gleason, Rodman, Ed celebrating the win, Metro footage, the Wrigley sod, and the real highlight....RELEASE!!!! You could hear people crying and sniffling in the theatre!

It was funny at then end when people were leaving during the credits and then MYM started ripping through the speakers! A nice little 'Easter egg' I suppose you could say. 

The sound was spot on too! I blasted the soundtrack all the way home (10minutes). 

Does anyone know if Clinch produces music too!? Hehe only joking! 

A must for every PJ fan! 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693
    Saw it Manville NJ. Great movie. Wonderful job of documenting the band, the fans, the cubs, etc. Ties everything together and gives the viewer a look inside PJ , Cubs and the Fan's world. Made me so happy to be a PJ fan. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    film was great, lets call this what it really is, a man's love affair with a baseball team, and his dreams coming true- those dreams then tied to millions of baseball fans whose dreams came true when the cubs had their season.  I can guess the strong Chicago flavor may turn some off.  This is not just a live performance, it is a rocku/documentary about the cubs/PJ/ED/Fans.  The setlists make so much more sense now, I never connected all the dots.  A lot of Ed fanboy (okay by me), a lot of behind the scenes and history, amazing concert footage.   Release was far and away the best moment of the film for me.  not because of the fan story that was cool too, but it was the most powerful part of the concert  and how it translated to the screen. A second would be Abruzze literally assaulting the drum kit in 92, it was like he was in a fight with his kits and he and his sticks were killing it.  

Everyone got some screen time that was good to see.

Mix was good, theater I saw it in had it too loud and it was little deafening at a time or two.  Not an HD showing I was at either, BLURAY is gonna be amazing!
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Great Movie!

Anyone know which night each of the songs were from?  I was at both, and some are obvious, but still be nice to have a complete list.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • bobhopebobhope Posts: 63
    Ugh, totally not going to see it.  Clevelander who has been turned off some by all the Cubs stuff.  Curious to see if Cleveland sells out if they come here next tour.
    Great Movie!

Anyone know which night each of the songs were from?  I was at both, and some are obvious, but still be nice to have a complete list.  

Both Nights: (It looks like they combined footage from both nights too)
    Better Man / Corduroy / Jeremy / Alive / All The Way

Night 1:
    Low Light / Small Town / Last Exit / Lightning Bolt / Black / Inside Job / Go / Release

Night 2:
    Black Red Yellow / Given To Fly / Crazy Mary / I've Got A Feeling

'16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• My family is life long Cardinals fans and the Cubs stuff was fine. It's a great baseball story to a Pearl Jam soundtrack.  WE LOVED IT. We definitely had a post-show buzz afterwards. Fun stuff on a Tuesday in Arkansas. 
  • Just amazing. I went with high expectations but they were surpassed. Totally immersed in each moment of the film and didn't want it to end. The weaving of the Cubs, Eddie, the rest of the band, the fans just made for a great story. If it were a fictional movie the ending would've seemed almost cliched, but the fact that the World Series played out as it did and just the reaction of the players, fans and obviously Eddie was just so real and heightened. A great insight into the relationship and workings of the band and the joy and energy they had throughout just has me hanging for a tour. Please be a tour.
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • bobhope said:
    Ugh, totally not going to see it.  Clevelander who has been turned off some by all the Cubs stuff.  Curious to see if Cleveland sells out if they come here next tour.

That's a real shame. I get that you're a die hard Cleveland supporter but I can't imagine that all Clevelanders would suddenly boycott Pearl Jam concerts in the future because of this film? "It's not about winning or losing - it's the journey"...
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • After a few songs, people in the theater starting really feeling the music and waving their hands in the air. And, oddly, some were still taking advantage of the pee break songs. LOL. I was surprised the theater wasn’t sold out, but I hope the ticket sales were strong enough to encourage PJ & company to do this again! And Danny Clinch has an amazing eye. The concert footage felt like I was at the foot of the stage, or even on stage. The audio was excellent, definitely clearer than a stadium sound system. When Ed held that note at the end of Low Light it was amazing to hear the beautiful quality of his voice. This dude can sing!

This is a feel-good movie, and it’s just what we needed right now. The songs are real; the fanboy emotions are real; and the band members are people with hearts and character. The scenes with John and Steve Gleason were so uplifting. I wish everyone could enjoy the positive effects of being a PJ fan. Makes me want to go door to door and start spreading the good news of Pearl Jam. LOL

(Btw, what was that Steely Dan song that Stone was playing on the rooftop? And did MYM play after Wishlist? Because that’s when we left.)

• ScreamHello_33ScreamHello_33 Orlando, FL Posts: 57

(Btw, what was that Steely Dan song that Stone was playing on the rooftop?)

It's called "Dirty Work" from an album called "Can't Buy A Thrill."  Maybe my favorite song of theirs though it's not very well known.  ESPN used it in one of their 30-For-30's a few years ago and it suprised me, but this surprised me even more.  Would love to see a full version in a show...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    bobhope said:
    lol....sore loser!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    bobhope said:

I guess I can understand not wanting to see the movie if your team was on the losing end last year. But if Let's Play Two actually hurts the band's standing in the Cleveland market, that's pretty weak. Plenty of other cities would love to get that slot on the tour.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    bobhope said:

I guess I can understand not wanting to see the movie if your team was on the losing end last year. But if Let's Play Two actually hurts the band's standing in the Cleveland market, that's pretty weak. Plenty of other cities would love to get that slot on the tour.

Columbus would LOVE that show!!! :wink:

• (Btw, what was that Steely Dan song that Stone was playing on the rooftop?)

It's called "Dirty Work" from an album called "Can't Buy A Thrill."  Maybe my favorite song of theirs though it's not very well known.  ESPN used it in one of their 30-For-30's a few years ago and it suprised me, but this surprised me even more.  Would love to see a full version in a show...
    Thanks! That's a great song; I didn't recognize it. I guess I'll be listening to some yacht rock today. :)

• pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    The movie touched on almost every emotion for us, aside from anger.  They did an amazing job and it's release was unknowingly perfectly timed.  Great job to everyone involved, band to crew to fans.  Can't wait to watch it again!
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    I thought it was great!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Nice movie.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    derbydave said:
    Great Movie!

Both Nights: (It looks like they combined footage from both nights too)
    Better Man / Corduroy / Jeremy / Alive / All The Way

Night 1:
    Low Light / Small Town / Last Exit / Lightning Bolt / Black / Inside Job / Go / Release

Night 2:
    Black Red Yellow / Given To Fly / Crazy Mary / I've Got A Feeling

Thanks!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353
    edited October 2017

I enjoyed this film, I thought it was pretty good. I think I would have LOVED it had I been at the Wrigley '16 shows and / or if I were a Cubs fan.

The live concert footage was phenomenal, but I was definitely underwhelmed by the track list. They're good songs in their own right, I've just heard most of them too much (it is what it is, I don't expect Danny Clinch to make a movie catering to my personal tastes).

It's also more an Eddie Vedder movie than Pearl Jam (were Stone or Matt interviewed once?).

I liked seeing the owner of Murphy's being interviewed and interacting with Eddie, and I loved the inclusion of Theo Epstein (which I expected). The Cubs' story is a great one, and Clinch did a good job capturing the atmosphere there. 

As far as a love letter to the Cubs & Wrigley goes, this was a great one, it just doesn't resonate with me all that much, not being a Chicagoan or Cubs fan.

The highlights for me were the Ernie Banks footage from the '13 show, the footage of Eddie outside of Wrigley in '92 and also the ball hawks hanging out on the street trying to catch home run balls.  

(disclaimer: I was at the '13 show & was hoping for a little more of the back story about what happened with the weather that night & playing until 2:00AM - I'm not sure what I expected per se, but I definitely hoped for a little more about that)

7/10. Would watch again (just not over & over)

(edited for spelling)

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,850
    Phenomenally done. Took me right back to reliving that weekend and amazing nights. Perfect balance of music and what it meant for EV to play in the one spot on the planet that he completely loses himself. Great job by everybody behind the making of the film. Cant wait to see the extras on the BluRay.