Options

Poster collecting used to be fun...

124»

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    edited September 2017
    this is my issue: I have a small house with very limited wall space. I have framed 4 of my posters (one EV and 3 other bands because they are signed), but none of my PJ ones. I've only seen them 5 times, and have 3 posters (one show was pre-poster era). I wish I could get them in a smaller size so I could frame like an 8x10 and put the boot next to it or something. 
    My house isn't big either but we utillized all the walls.. lol.   It's a small(ish) 1950's rancher.  Has 3 bedrooms  (at the expense of a small washroom and only a kitchen nook as a dining room).   We've got 6 up in the living room (5 PJ ones, and a Soundgarden one).   We've got 3 up in the bedroom.    Tragically Hip poster is in the kitchen nook.  I've got 11ish up in my office (This is where the majority of my non-pj ones are, but that still means half of them are pj, lol).   The spare room currently only has 1 (chris cornell solo poster from Vancouver), but I really want to hang my ToTD poster from Seattle.  It's kind of ugly on its own, but looks pretty good when you have the other two posters meant to go beside it, so I'm thinking of buying them to mount together.   Those would be the only ones I've hung that I didn't go to, but at least I'll have been to the one in the middle.

If I do the TotD thing, I think I can hang two more posters in the spare room.  After that I've got space issues... lol.

edit: there's another poster in the the little area that connects the 3 bedrooms/washroom/living room.  It's from the Canadian Punk band the "Dayglo Abortions".  It's totally offensive, and one of the opening bands has an even more offensive name.   My grandparents look at it funny every time they visit.. lol.... It's the show my wife and I met at... so it stays up :) 

Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Zod said:
    this is my issue: I have a small house with very limited wall space. I have framed 4 of my posters (one EV and 3 other bands because they are signed), but none of my PJ ones. I've only seen them 5 times, and have 3 posters (one show was pre-poster era). I wish I could get them in a smaller size so I could frame like an 8x10 and put the boot next to it or something. 
    My house isn't big either but we utillized all the walls.. lol.   It's a small(ish) 1950's rancher.  Has 3 bedrooms  (at the expense of a small washroom and only a kitchen nook as a dining room).   We've got 6 up in the living room (5 PJ ones, and a Soundgarden one).   We've got 3 up in the bedroom.    Tragically Hip poster is in the kitchen nook.  I've got 11ish up in my office (This is where the majority of my non-pj ones are, but that still means half of them are pj, lol).   The spare room currently only has 1 (chris cornell solo poster from Vancouver), but I really want to hang my ToTD poster from Seattle.  It's kind of ugly on its own, but looks pretty good when you have the other two posters meant to go beside it, so I'm thinking of buying them to mount together.   Those would be the only ones I've hung that I didn't go to, but at least I'll have been to the one in the middle.

If I do the TotD thing, I think I can hang two more posters in the spare room.  After that I've got space issues... lol.

edit: there's another poster in the the little area that connects the 3 bedrooms/washroom/living room.  It's from the Canadian Punk band the "Dayglo Abortions".  It's totally offensive, and one of the opening bands has an even more offensive name.   My grandparents look at it funny every time they visit.. lol.... It's the show my wife and I met at... so it stays up :) 

I wish I had a show-specific Hip poster. I had a few that they did for the tour, but they don't often do show-specific ones. My 3 signed posters are Jet Set Satellite (Winnipeg band), The Watchmen, and Weezer (my youngest daughter's first show). I've got a signed Headstones one I need to get framed, but it's not that big. Like legal-sized I think. 

But I can't put up posters all over the house. It would end up in divorce! The basement is the only place I've negotiated to hang them. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I wish I had a show-specific Hip poster. I had a few that they did for the tour, but they don't often do show-specific ones. My 3 signed posters are Jet Set Satellite (Winnipeg band), The Watchmen, and Weezer (my youngest daughter's first show). I've got a signed Headstones one I need to get framed, but it's not that big. Like legal-sized I think. 

But I can't put up posters all over the house. It would end up in divorce! The basement is the only place I've negotiated to hang them. LOL
    Actually, the hip poster isn't show specific :( It was sold on the final tour, but it has the dates for the whole tour.  Similar to my Eddie Vedder 2008 Vancouver poster that did the same thing. 

I would say I'm pretty lucky that I'm allowed to hang them up around the house.   I did have guidance of which ones could go up in the living room and bedroom, but my office is the equivalent of your basement.   I can put up whatever I want in there :)
  • Options
    I was considering getting that Hip poster. it looks nice, and it is the last tour. 

I had convinced my wife that we could put up this White Stripes one in the living room; I had convinced her it was "art", and red is prominent in our living room
    https://goo.gl/images/c8uKDq

I just haven't framed it yet. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I was considering getting that Hip poster. it looks nice, and it is the last tour. 

I had convinced my wife that we could put up this White Stripes one in the living room; I had convinced her it was "art", and red is prominent in our living room

That's ok.... lol.  It's a horse with a red square over it?   Not that the next one I want to frame is much better:

• Options
    Zod said:

That's ok.... lol.  It's a horse with a red square over it?   Not that the next one I want to frame is much better:

yeah, it's weird, but I could get away with it. My cartoonish PJ ones? not so much. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I stopped when I saw how many fans' enjoyment of a show is affected by whether or not they get a poster/shirt/etc.  I never want that to happen.  The only souvenir I care about is how I felt at the show and a recording to re-live it until my last days.

Even before that, I would never spend hours in line for a poster.  The wait times I saw for Wrigley 2013 were insane and I think the pop-up shops actually help the flippers.  Why go to work when I can spend all day in line, hoard merch and post in on ebay before the show even takes place and make more money than at work?

this x100000000
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Please let's stay on the topic of bashing those crazy collectors. 
  • Options
    Zod said:

I know this one's going up in my office.  I'll have to find a spot for it. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433
    Please let's stay on the topic of bashing those crazy collectors. 
    Ha!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    duplicated my post.

What I am realizing is I very much like collecting posters for concerts I go to.  It's the waiting in line I don't enjoy :)
  • Options
    this makes me want to revisit my idea of creating a poster for myself for Mudfest 93. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    this makes me want to revisit my idea of creating a poster for myself for Mudfest 93. 
    Maybe you can track down one of the advertising posters for it.   That's how I have a smashing pumpkins '97 one.  It's the only one I have that isn't a buy at the venue kind.   It's the flyer that would of been plastered around advertising the show.   Found it on ebay for $20 a while back.    Most of those are ugly, but sometimes they're not too bad.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Maybe you can track down one of the advertising posters for it.   That's how I have a smashing pumpkins '97 one.  It's the only one I have that isn't a buy at the venue kind.   It's the flyer that would of been plastered around advertising the show.   Found it on ebay for $20 a while back.    Most of those are ugly, but sometimes they're not too bad.
    yeah, I have considered that as well. I actually have a digital copy of the Sunfest poster from that year that I could print off. But I had a fun idea for a PJ poster. 

it was in Gimli, MB. Gimli is noted for it's viking heritage, Manitoba is noted for its mosquito population. I thought of a design with a bunch of Vikings riding mosquitos into battle. LOL

And maybe in the corner somewhere would be the PJ stickman, but with this as the head:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZHnUxSJWOPFb64gAecUISkaVfyn21KUH7RaGZbTjMwuAXnGXC
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    sorry, I'll get back to bashing the crazy poster collectors now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    sorry, I'll get back to bashing the crazy poster collectors now. 
    Thank you.  I know you Canadians tend to try to keep things more civil.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    yeah, I have considered that as well. I actually have a digital copy of the Sunfest poster from that year that I could print off. But I had a fun idea for a PJ poster. 

it was in Gimli, MB. Gimli is noted for it's viking heritage, Manitoba is noted for its mosquito population. I thought of a design with a bunch of Vikings riding mosquitos into battle. LOL

And maybe in the corner somewhere would be the PJ stickman, but with this as the head:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZHnUxSJWOPFb64gAecUISkaVfyn21KUH7RaGZbTjMwuAXnGXC
    When I read about Gimli the first thing I think of is the Gimli Glider, so maybe have it streaming across the sky behind the Vikings riding the mosquitos :)

btw.  It's pretty cool you were at that show.   That's one of the more famous Pearl Jam video bootlegs out there.   It looked like a killer show.

ps.  I'll to go back to bashing now..... stupid flippers!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

When I read about Gimli the first thing I think of is the Gimli Glider, so maybe have it streaming across the sky behind the Vikings riding the mosquitos :)

btw.  It's pretty cool you were at that show.   That's one of the more famous Pearl Jam video bootlegs out there.   It looked like a killer show.

ps.  I'll to go back to bashing now..... stupid flippers!
    excellent idea! with a banner attached to it at the back with the band's name on it! Brilliant! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com