Options

Poster collecting used to be fun...

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The 2013 shows weren't bad in my experience.  Pittsburgh I maybe waited in line for 20 minutes, Baltimore and Charlottesville I walked right up.  Cinci in 2014 was awful.  3 hours to get thru the line.  St. Paul 2014 really ruined my desire for merchandise.  The booth opened almost 2 hours late, I waited another 90 minutes and didn't move an inch.  I knew Wrigley was gonna be a complete shit show, but the two things I love the most in life are the Cubs and Pearl Jam.  To see PJ play at Wrigley was a dream come true, so I endured the line.  But other than that, no more for me.  I'll wait til they play Sirens and go grab a basic tour shirt w/all the cities & dates and be happy.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    The 2013 shows weren't bad in my experience.  Pittsburgh I maybe waited in line for 20 minutes, Baltimore and Charlottesville I walked right up.  Cinci in 2014 was awful.  3 hours to get thru the line.  St. Paul 2014 really ruined my desire for merchandise.  The booth opened almost 2 hours late, I waited another 90 minutes and didn't move an inch.  I knew Wrigley was gonna be a complete shit show, but the two things I love the most in life are the Cubs and Pearl Jam.  To see PJ play at Wrigley was a dream come true, so I endured the line.  But other than that, no more for me.  I'll wait til they play Sirens and go grab a basic tour shirt w/all the cities & dates and be happy.
    my wife and I walked by the outdoor merch line for St Paul and I was aghast at what I saw. I told my wife "let's explore the city, I ain't wasting our day in line for stuff". We went walking around, came back and asked someone in line how long they'd been waiting, they said it hadn't moved yet as it wasn't open. I couldn't believe it. What a clusterfuck. I mean, what is the point of having outside merch if not to pander to the flippers. I see the idea of letting people get merch and then not have to carry it around at the show, but you should have to present your ticket to be allowed to buy something. it's ridiculous. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
    edited September 2017

The Facebook pages are full of clinically insane people. All of the groups. Thousand dollar raffles, everybody sends that one dude all kinds of free stuff that he calls his "Pearl Jam crap", there seems to a strange God-complex to several of the participants; I unfollowed all of them due to the elitist feel of it all. I've been a huge fan of the band for the last 26 years because I love the music, what the band stands for, etc. Not because they make sweet pins and hoodies. I've never needed a single material good to validate me as/for anything. There was a post on the Facebook where a person received a certain piece of merchandise and the caption to the photo read "I'm finally on the varsity team". That's just weird. But hey, we aren't here forever. Love what you love, I guess.

I am sorry you do not understand the "Pearl Jam crap" guy. He is on these boards from time to time so I will not mention his name but I have been fortunate enough to know him for a couple of years now. This guy has donated/gifted more merchandise/money to fans and causes than anyone I know of. I once saw someone mention they were going through hard times financially and wished they could afford a poster on a Facebook post. It was the Kentucky poster which sold out very fast as everyone knows and sells for a good dime now. The "Pearl Jam crap guy asked for the persons address and 3 days later that poster was on that gentleman's doorstep with no money exchanged. He gave away so much of his stuff for free, shipping included, people started to donate stuff to him so he could do giveaways. On top of that he has cofounded a group called Amongst The Waves that has been raising money for needy fans and relief efforts for over a year now. Sorry for going on a long rant and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I really think you misjudged this guy from the way you are speaking of him.   
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    ^Great guy indeed
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    on2legs said:
    I mostly try to avoid the outdoor merch tents.  The lines are too crazy.  I find if I line up at the venue about 30 minutes before the doors open I have pretty good luck snagging a poster inside.  Otherwise I'm willing to pay up on eBay if I really like the poster and I missed it at a show because of tailgating or hanging at a restaurant.  Much rather pay up than miss out on hanging with friends.  

This.  I remember looking at the merch line at the Moline show and just laughing.  My buddy who came to the show with me who is a casual PJ fan was so shocked by the hundreds of people waiting in line for posters and tshirts....he couldn't get over it.   Like you said, I'd much rather have some pre-show drinks/dinner with friends than wait in some insane line for hours.  If I want a poster bad enough, I'll find a way to get it.
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 273
    I'm glad the Pearl Jam crap guy is giving. We should all be giving in whatever capacity we're presented. My business and our secondary teams are one of the most giving in our local community so I understand what that's like. We should also be respectful of the opportunities we're provided by others. My father bought me my first car when I was young. My reply wasn't "Thanks for this crappy car, Dad!". Now I recognize perception doesn't always fit the individual and I have no reservations to say I was wrong in my overall sense of him as a person from my small window to him. However recognizing our opportunities and having gratitude for them matter as well.
  • Options

The Facebook pages are full of clinically insane people. All of the groups. Thousand dollar raffles, everybody sends that one dude all kinds of free stuff that he calls his "Pearl Jam crap", there seems to a strange God-complex to several of the participants; I unfollowed all of them due to the elitist feel of it all. I've been a huge fan of the band for the last 26 years because I love the music, what the band stands for, etc. Not because they make sweet pins and hoodies. I've never needed a single material good to validate me as/for anything. There was a post on the Facebook where a person received a certain piece of merchandise and the caption to the photo read "I'm finally on the varsity team". That's just weird. But hey, we aren't here forever. Love what you love, I guess.

Varsity Team, lol.  WTH wrote that?!?  I love the collecting crazies!

Now who's got them socks I need?!?
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419

Varsity Team, lol.  WTH wrote that?!?  I love the collecting crazies!

Now who's got them socks I need?!?
    You are the starting quarterback on the varsity sock team!!!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    I don't quite wrap my head around some of the merch crazy.  I mean that people buy stuff exclusively to sell it on ebay, etc at a markup, I mean if people are willing to pay for it, I guess, but personally I have my limits.  It freaks me out that my Benaroya is worth over $1,000 even as an open and played item, I don't get why anyone would have bought it and not opened it!.   But to each their own.  I own 5 posters. Randall's Island 96, Jones Beach 00, Albany 03, MSG 03, Ottawa 05 - I buy what appeals to me if I could get it, and never bought any at a show until 03.  The Randall's I bought for may $50 back in the day.  Same with Jones Beach, both of ebay, that is pretty much my upper limit.  But again, people are crazy and better to be crazy about posters than crack.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,105
    It's definitely better to be crazy about posters than crack. 

lol.. that was the best post of the day.
  • Options
    mmmmmmm......crack.........
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    This is what it’s all about

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXZcY7p8wI
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    edited September 2017
    I just preordered two pallets of let's play two peanuts.  800 lbs.  selling them for $10 a bag.  If you want in send me a pm but get in line.

edit- if you buy 100 I'll throw in a sticker.  You buy 500 I'll throw in a falla sheep and dog collar.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    i miss the wristband/poster pick-up from the 2008 tour. i believe it made things a lot easier and i do not remember reading a negative experience where someone had an unfortunate issue of not getting their poster despite having the required wristband.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • Options
    This is what it’s all about

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HCXZcY7p8wI
    Thanks Buck!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited September 2017
    Im 100% fine with people amassing a huge PJ collection.  We all have hobbies.  Some people here have huge collections and are totally cool, always helping people out.  

I know i’ll never join them because of $$ and time so i have a few items that i go nuts about.  Good enough for me. 

There are def some crazies out there but thats just like the Disney moms i saw today at Epcot bum rushing a gift shop for a rare item. Seriously.  It happens in every collection. More people are cool than not. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    The poster thing jumped the shark a long time ago. I haven't cared about posters at shows since 2009 or so. It's quite liberating not caring. Plus the quality of the images are disappointing mostly. To those who think any tour tops the 1998 posters I'd say -- Puhlease. That tour was magical in every way. Never gonna top that shit.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    The poster thing jumped the shark a long time ago. I haven't cared about posters at shows since 2009 or so. It's quite liberating not caring. Plus the quality of the images are disappointing mostly. To those who think any tour tops the 1998 posters I'd say -- Puhlease. That tour was magical in every way. Never gonna top that shit.
    "Get off my lawn, ya damn kids!!"  :lol:
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    Poster collecting is still fun, if its treated as such. The mania around posters is discouraging but just exit that, build friendships, look out for one and another and theres still an underlying community that looks after each other
  • Options
    True . There are some of the kindest people i ever met who trade..just try and skip past the wankers
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    True . There are some of the kindest people i ever met who trade..just try and skip past the wankers
    LOL
  • Options
    I need to use the term "wankers" more. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    My wife made a good point, and she doesn't even collect, when flippers treat it like a business you get these bug outs cause they feel like they missed out on a profit.  Whereas a collector might be disappointed but shrugs knowing he/she can have fun searching it out, or trading for it etc...
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    I need to use the term "wankers" more. 
    You do for sure. Its a staple word here in dear ole blighty
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    I stopped when I saw how many fans' enjoyment of a show is affected by whether or not they get a poster/shirt/etc.  I never want that to happen.  The only souvenir I care about is how I felt at the show and a recording to re-live it until my last days.

Even before that, I would never spend hours in line for a poster.  The wait times I saw for Wrigley 2013 were insane and I think the pop-up shops actually help the flippers.  Why go to work when I can spend all day in line, hoard merch and post in on ebay before the show even takes place and make more money than at work?

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,105
    Getting a poster definitely feels like a chore.  I won't wait in the outside lines for hours/days like I saw people doing at Seattle and Wrigley.  The good news is buying them inside seems easier (assuming you go early and go in when the doors open).

I really do like them.  Sure some are ugly and I don't end up framing/hanging them, but i like lots of them, and it's a way to decorate our house that's distinctly us.

The one thing I have struggled with is that PJ was on the poster thing way before (most) other bands.   I have 20 years of buying PJ posters from shows i've been too.... back to '98.   I think my oldest other band poster (that was the modern kind sold at the venue) is a Nine Inch Nails one from Vancouver '05, and slowly after that other bands started doing them (I've got GNR, Soundgardenx2, Chris Cornell, Alice In Chains, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins,  Nine Inch Nails, ToTD, and Tragically Hip as well).   I just tracked one down from a Tool show I saw in Edmonton 2010 that I need to frame.

I love concerts.... having the posters up around the house reminds me of those awesome shows :)  It's not something I can easily give up, but I am starting to run out of room... lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    this is my issue: I have a small house with very limited wall space. I have framed 4 of my posters (one EV and 3 other bands because they are signed), but none of my PJ ones. I've only seen them 5 times, and have 3 posters (one show was pre-poster era). I wish I could get them in a smaller size so I could frame like an 8x10 and put the boot next to it or something. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited September 2017
    this is my issue: I have a small house with very limited wall space. I have framed 4 of my posters (one EV and 3 other bands because they are signed), but none of my PJ ones. I've only seen them 5 times, and have 3 posters (one show was pre-poster era). I wish I could get them in a smaller size so I could frame like an 8x10 and put the boot next to it or something. 
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind small posters that are all the same size that fit in affordable standard sized frames. For me the biggest turn off for posters, and why I only have a few of them and none on my walls is the cost of the custom framing (yes, I'm a framing snob - it's gotta be a really awesome custom job with non-reflective glass or nothing - yes, that's on me, lol), so to be able to just go to HomeSense or something and buy a bunch of non-reflective frames with built in mattes for some standard sized mini posters, like 9 x 12, would be great.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind small posters that are all the same size that fit in affordable standard sized frames. For me the biggest turn off for posters, and why I only have a few of them and none on my walls is the cost of the custom framing (yes, I'm a framing snob - it's gotta be a really awesome custom job with non-reflective glass or nothing - yes, that's on me, lol), so to be able to just go to HomeSense or something and buy a bunch of non-reflective frames for some standard sized mini posters, like 9 x 12, would be great.
    I spent over $300 on my EV Minneapolis to get framed. Eesh. and the glass is reflective. Although, the place did tell me if I changed my mind to non-reflective later on, they wouldn't charge me additional labour, just the glass. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com