Options

Let's talk about "flash mobs".

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725
Not long ago, "flash mobs" was a term used describe something that often was very clever and created, like flash art, a sudden dance in the middle of a square, that sort of thing. 
The term is taking on a new, menacing meaning.  It is also described in some quarters as "black teen flash mobs" .

Educate me.  Is this a mainly black or African American movement or activity?  What is the root cause of this activity?  Why is it rapidly spreading throughout cities and occurring in malls across America?  What will this lead to?  How should we respond to this activity?  Is this a sign of things to come?

My guess is this activity partly stems from racism and continued black poverty in America. I'm disturbed by the fact that despite gains made in the 1960's civil rights movement, those problems still exist.  I'm equally disturbed to see the reaction to those problems turn violent... among all extreme groups, not just blacks or teens or racists or religious fanatics- but all people responding with violence.  Is the the beginning of a civil war?

WTF is going on here?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    It would be a blast to just happen upon the first half of that kind of flash mob.  The second half is what is catching on.  Reminds me of knock out game.  Been there, done that.  I'm done with going to malls.  Yeah, seems a bit paranoid, but I hardly ever go anyway so now for sure I'm done with pretty much all mass gatherings of humanity with possibly one exception:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I knew you would watch through to the end.  It pretty much sums up the craziness happening in your country right now. But like in any comedy it comes from sadness.  That was funny as shit.
  • Options
    I knew you would watch through to the end.  It pretty much sums up the craziness happening in your country right now. But like in any comedy it comes from sadness.  That was funny as shit.
    Seems like it was staged.  The real shit like what happened in Philly though, bad news!  Hope it doesn't spread.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,028
    brianlux said:
    Seems like it was staged.  The real shit like what happened in Philly though, bad news!  Hope it doesn't spread.
    What happened in Philly?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I know that "black mobs" has been a far right talking point for at least 10 years, floating around the crazyweb warning of the coming race war.
    It's hard to tell what's cryin wolf and what's a wolf these days.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I know that "black mobs" has been a far right talking point for at least 10 years, floating around the crazyweb warning of the coming race war.
    It's hard to tell what's cryin wolf and what's a wolf these days.
    I read about black teen flash mobs through James Howard Kunstler's blog-.  He is a registered Democrat, not a far right kook.

Lest you think Kunstler a wolf in sheep's clothing (i.e. racist) he points out why these kinds of things are happening:  "What is suspiciously at the bottom of it all is the spectacular failure of the original civil rights campaign of the 1960s to alter the structures of poverty in black America"

http://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/smoke-and-fire/

brianlux said:
    What happened in Philly?
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/03/06/philly-police-more-than-100-kids-participated-in-flash-mob-some-arrested/

Another example:  http://kron4.com/2017/03/28/people-behaving-badly-flash-mob-strikes-san-francisco-safeway/

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    In the late 90's it was called wilding.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08