Options

Basal Cell Carcinoma

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
Well, that was inevitable I suppose.  Just got the biopsy report- basal cell carcinoma, aka skin cancer.  They've been carving on my Pop's head for years now and I did like everybody else back in the day and fried in the sun. There are way worse maladies, of course, but I can think of better ways to spend my time than having someone whittle on my face (but at least my doc is cool).

Now I just have to think about how to tell the kids in my extended family how important it is to take care of your skin without sounding like a know-it-all or lecturer.  Maybe just show them the aftermath.

So hell's bells, there goes my modeling career. :lol:
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Ahh...Sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes smoothly. Sounds like it's big, floppy hat time!! Which by the way, I happen to adore.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    Good luck to you Brian. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. 

In my not so expert medical opinion, you should drink plenty of water, play guitar, stay positive and listen to Dinosaur Jr. 

Something tells me you already have that under control and you'll come through this just fine.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ahh...Sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes smoothly. Sounds like it's big, floppy hat time!! Which by the way, I happen to adore.
    Hey, it worked for Elaine Benes at the Hamptons!

Wishing you the best with this, B.  I haven't been a sun-person since my teens but never know if actions play a part vs genetics or any other factors.  Don't beat yourself up over what may have caused this, just focus on getting better.

(ironically, I wore my "Fuck Cancer!" dogtag today from RKCNDY's last Seattle Needle run)
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,517
    shit, Brian!

I hope a little carving is all it takes.

I was a dope when I was younger....worked construction in vegas....shorts and tennis shoes all day and then home to hang out by the pool.

keep up posted!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Major bummer. Take care of yourself through it all and as always let me know if you need anything. 
  • Options
    Thank you friends!  Hey, could be worse.  Will take a heck of a lot than that to knock me down!
    Hugs all around.  :hug:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    Brian, as frightening as a diagnosis of cancer is, you got one with a really good prognosis. Fingers crossed that the removal is entirely successful and that nothing else crops up in the future.  Your post prompted me to buy sunscreen for my daughter and myself yesterday, so thank you. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Brian, as frightening as a diagnosis of cancer is, you got one with a really good prognosis. Fingers crossed that the removal is entirely successful and that nothing else crops up in the future.  Your post prompted me to buy sunscreen for my daughter and myself yesterday, so thank you. 
    Good job, oftenreading!

I saw my doc yesterday and he found another spot hiding in the sideburns be biopsied.  Said it's likely another b.c.c.  This is one of the least problematic of cancers so I'm not worried too much about it, just not thrilled with having to go through the procedures and not sure how often I'll have to this- it's likely to be more than one or two.

In any case, very wise of you to use sunscreen and super cool to look out for your daughter that way. 

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Sorry to hear about this, Brian.

Hope all goes well, and it's just like you--and I mean this in the best possible way--to treat this as a teachable moment.

Annual skin exams, too, people. I've been slacking with this one since I moved. Still haven't even searched for a new dermatologist in the area.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Sorry to hear about this, Brian.

Hope all goes well, and it's just like you--and I mean this in the best possible way--to treat this as a teachable moment.

Annual skin exams, too, people. I've been slacking with this one since I moved. Still haven't even searched for a new dermatologist in the area.
    Thank you, D.  :smile:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Well, that was inevitable I suppose.  Just got the biopsy report- basal cell carcinoma, aka skin cancer.  They've been carving on my Pop's head for years now and I did like everybody else back in the day and fried in the sun. There are way worse maladies, of course, but I can think of better ways to spend my time than having someone whittle on my face (but at least my doc is cool).

Now I just have to think about how to tell the kids in my extended family how important it is to take care of your skin without sounding like a know-it-all or lecturer.  Maybe just show them the aftermath.

Don't give up on your modeling career aspirations just yet, Brian.  :)   Depending on where the carcinoma is located, a skilled dermatologist or surgeon can remove it with little or no visible scar. A few years back, I had Mohs surgery for a basal cell carcinoma located on my right lower eyelid. The scar was blended into the lash line and is barely perceptible.

Best of luck to you, and thank you for bringing the subject of skin cancer up as a reminder to us all to take precautions in the sun.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Don't give up on your modeling career aspirations just yet, Brian.  :)   Depending on where the carcinoma is located, a skilled dermatologist or surgeon can remove it with little or no visible scar. A few years back, I had Mohs surgery for a basal cell carcinoma located on my right lower eyelid. The scar was blended into the lash line and is barely perceptible.

Best of luck to you, and thank you for bringing the subject of skin cancer up as a reminder to us all to take precautions in the sun.
    Thanks Asterisk.  If it does scar I'll just have them send me to "The Rugged Look" dept., lol

And glad your turned out so well! 

:smile: