• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Given To Fly
    rummy said:
    JimmyV said:
    #BlackShouldBeHere
    #SoShouldAlive
    #mothafuckinSTATEOFLOVEANDTRUSTshould
    there should be a Lost Dogs weakest link, but also a non-album weakest link. Leatherman, SOLAT, Breath, Ole, various xmas single studio tracks, etc. I'm sure @MedozK will get to it! :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Release
    Hardest one yet. Thought I wouldn't be able to choose ... but went with this logic: Voted for Release because it shouldn't have been the champion from Ten. 
    Exactly. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Given To Fly
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm gonna have to think about this one for  a little bit.  all four songs are amazing!
    Me, too.

My first instinct is to vote against Given To Fly. It is an absolutely awesome/essential PJ song that I'd probably put into my top 10 but the other three are in my top 5. HOWEVER, my personal rankings are based on live performances (I never listen to studio albums these days) and I have already admitted that Release is a much better song live. Yet, speaking of live performances, I'm really not digging the new live versions of Corduroy (already discussed in previous round) so that hurts it a bit - but not enough to vote against it. As for RVM, I don't think I could vote against such a well-rounded PJ tune but was it truly the Vs. winner? It never had to go head-to-head against Animal in a final round. 

I'm the same way...hardly ever listen to the studio albums anymore.

I agree that Release is much better live & feel the same way about GTF!

I really don't like the studio version of GTF and that's part of the reason I voted it as the weakest link!!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited June 2017
    Given To Fly
    Very tough. I just have to pick something... I guess GTF isn't quite as quintessential a PJ song as RVM and Corduroy to me, and it's just a little bit more pop-like in some vague way I guess. As far as Release goes... that song is simply the one that has affected me more than any other PJ song on a visceral/emotional level. That is the only reason I consider it my favorite PJ song. Basically, it's the only one that can make me cry. Apparently, if it can make me cry, it wins. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited June 2017
    Given To Fly
    I mean, how am I supposed to kill any of these songs?

(Actually, the choice was easy; GTF is more middle-pack for me)

EDIT: I've heard each of these songs live several times and GTF is the only one I don't get excited about anymore.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Given To Fly
    JimmyV said:
    If I ranked these 1-4 RVM would come up last every time. It's a great song and I love it live but it's #4 on this list.
    Them's fightin' words.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    Given To Fly
    Tough one! Four great songs to the finals. Sorry GTF, hopefully RVM and Release get to the finals.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Corduroy
    JimmyV said:
    #BlackShouldBeHere
    best comment from day one those thread started
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Rearviewmirror
    Ok I m gonna listen to the studio versions one last time...this is freaking hard.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Rearviewmirror
    Rvm just because Dave throws his drum sticks like a little baby at the end of the song. That has irritated  me for over 20 years. 
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Release
    mcgruff10 said:
    Rvm just because Dave throws his drum sticks like a little baby at the end of the song. That has irritated  me for over 20 years. 
    Haha. As good a reason as any. As a drummer, I've always loved that. If you haven't, try drumming to it sometime and try NOT to throw your sticks. Rocks so hard that there's nothing left to do, play or say afterwards. 
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Release
    mcgruff10 said:
    Haha. As good a reason as any. As a drummer, I've always loved that. If you haven't, try drumming to it sometime and try NOT to throw your sticks. Rocks so hard that there's nothing left to do, play or say afterwards. 
    i feel the same, i love that part it gives the song like another dimension. i love hearing those parts to songs, those parts that sort of accidentally make it into the final cut
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Given To Fly
    love GTF, but love the other 3 more. 
    This.
    (I feel awful about what I just did).
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Given To Fly
    mcgruff10 said:
    That's funny!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Release
    I'll be an even bigger baby if Given to Fly goes down.  It'll be Given to Cry.  Whaaa!  So there, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Release
    No way that the studio version of release is better than RVM. Criminal if RVM isn't in final
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    Release
    Corduroy for the win!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 276
    Rearviewmirror
    Of the 4 that are left, RVM and Corduroy on the only 2 I didn't vote as best on their respective albums. I will miss the "Weakest Link" when it's over, for sure.
  • Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    Release
    tbergs said:
    This voting is ridiculous. Are people really thinking the studio version of Release is better than the other three? I'm just baffled by how it won Ten and now could win it all. Crazy. Great song, but definitely not their best of all time.
    Agreed. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    Release
    The fact that Alive isn't included in this list is just wrong.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    Corduroy
    tbergs said:
    This voting is ridiculous. Are people really thinking the studio version of Release is better than the other three? I'm just baffled by how it won Ten and now could win it all. Crazy. Great song, but definitely not their best of all time.
    Maybe people vote for the song as a whole, including it live. 

or yes, they think the studio version is that good. I think it's the best out of those four.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Rearviewmirror
    tbergs said:
    Agreed. 
    I've given up trying to figure out the this voting.  A couple of years back, when they had the NCAA tournament-style voting for songs, Black won, I believe.  I was baffled.  To each their own, but I don't get it.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Release
    I can make a case for the other 3 to be best songs on their respective albums.  I can't do that with Release.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Given To Fly
    Of the 4 that are left, RVM and Corduroy on the only 2 I didn't vote as best on their respective albums. I will miss the "Weakest Link" when it's over, for sure.
    It's been a fun few MONTHS for sure!
    (I still feel bad about my vote this round).
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Release
    I can make a case for the other 3 to be best songs on their respective albums.  I can't do that with Release.
    That's where I'm at with it too. I know a lot of people absolutely love it and so do I, but this song wouldn't even be number 1 of these 4 live. It'd be the most emotional for sure and is one of the best ways to open a show. I know people are Even Flow-ed out, but that, Alive, Black and partially Jeremy, are stronger on the album. I feel like Release is the one song of all those that has gotten better live and remains the best. The only real difference now is that Ed can't always hold the high note at the end, but up until then, it's perfect. The rest have lost their edge a bit, EF and Jeremy especially.

Anyway, we all have our differences. It's just weird to think that Release may win it all. If I listen to Ten, that's in the 2nd tier of songs I would choose, but the opposite if I'm listening to a bootleg post 2010.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    Corduroy
    All great songs. None would be in my personal top four but of these I think corduroy is the weakest link. 
  • Options
    Given To Fly
    I gotta admit, I am surprised that RVM is very likely going to get eliminated.
  • Options
    Given To Fly
    Release vs. Corduroy in the final? 
    Interesting, if anything.
  • Options
    Rearviewmirror
    rummy said:
    Yeah I agree. Rvm is fucking unreal live. In retrospect I should have voted for gtf. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Given To Fly
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    Yeah I agree. Rvm is fucking unreal live. In retrospect I should have voted for gtf. 
    OF COURSE YOU SHOULD HAVE FUCKING VOTED GTF INSTEAD OF RVM!

What is with these people? ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.