Options

10th Anniversary in Sicily/EV - with younger child??

My wife and I will be going to London for our 10th anniversary in late June and, because we are nuts, we are hoping to hop over to Sicily for a few days and want to go to the June 27 Eddie show.  Problem is we are going to be with our 2 1/2 year old.

I'm trying to find out from the venue if we need to buy her her own ticket, but I would love to hear from this amazing group:

1.  What your experiences have been like bringing a younger kid to a show?

2.  Any thoughts on this particular venue (Taormina) with a child?

Are we crazy for even contemplating this??

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    edited May 2017
    From one fellow parent to another, yes, I think you're crazy to bring a 2 year old to a show. Could be very disruptive for people close to you. You and your wife's attention will be drawn away from the music keeping track of him or her the 2+ hours you're there.
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Double post.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    From one fellow parent to another, yes, I think you're crazy to bring a 2 year old to a show. Could be very disruptive for people close to you. You and your wife's attention will be drawn away from the music keeping track of him or her the 2+ hours you're there.
    Agreed. Why would you bring a 2 year old to a concert? (Father of five here)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    I guess OP is contemplating this bc I'm assuming childcare isn't an option as he and his wife will be traveling. I wouldn't take that age child to a concert for the reasons listed above.  I understand the desire to see Eddie in Sicily though. Are you and your wife both fans?  If not maybe one skips the show or if you both go with the child the one lesser-fan takes on child chasing responsibilities. You run the risk of disrupting other fans who are hoping for a night out without kids and who did get a babysitter though. I hope that doesn't sound harsh. I have 3 kids myself and missed many years of concerts when I had little babies/toddlers so that's the side of this issue I lie on. I have no regrets. There is a time and place for everything. 

Hope you have a happy anniversary!  
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,852
    Taormina has a GA section in it's theatre. The back and side rows are all first come first serve. If you really wanted to go you could sit at the very back where it would be easy to get in and out if your child was disruptive to avoid ruining the show for others. If you get there at a decent time you can get a back aisle seat and you would be all set. Ear protection is recommended as well. Here is the link for tickets. I am unsure if your child needs a ticket as well. 
    https://www.ticketone.it/eddie-vedder-taormina-biglietti.html?affiliate=ITT&doc=artistPages%2Ftickets&fun=artist&action=tickets&key=1855977%249501084&jumpIn=yTix&kuid=459611&from=erdetaila

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    I would probably wait until your kid is a little bit older so they can enjoy the show.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    edited May 2017
    Unless its a festival with lots of open space i wouldnt do it.  Took my 2 year old to ACL and it was great.  A lot of grass for us to play while listening to whatever stage was near us.  No one within ten feet of us and far enough away that sound wasnt an issue for his ears

A normal cramped show tho?  No way whatsoever.  
  • Options
    Once again the back of the Theatre will not be cramped and it is not sold out. It is GA so he can go where he wants. If his kid is acting up (he will it is inevitable lol) one of them can step out for a sec. Also you could skip Glens show have your little one sleeping and then bring him to the show. 

That said I couldn't imagine bringing my 2 and a half year old to any show. It would be a shitshow that is for sure. Every child is different though and only you know what is best. Do not do it knowing the child is going to have a hard time and hope for the best though. That is the best advice I can give though I am sure you already considered this. 
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    PJNB said:
    Also you could skip Glens show have your little one sleeping and then bring him to the show.
    Never skip Glen's show.  It's almost as good as Ed's. Almost.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2017
    PM @pdalowsky or @dottles. They're in the UK, I think. They'll watch your kid.  =)

And what the hell happened to @theserialthrilla? He'd babysit the hell out of that little bugger. :lol:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    LukinFan said:
    PJNB said:
    Also you could skip Glens show have your little one sleeping and then bring him to the show.
    Never skip Glen's show.  It's almost as good as Ed's. Almost.
    He is already going to London that is the only reason I said that. I would never skip it either. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    If you don't have to bring the kid than don't.  They won't remember the show, or appreciate it while there (music and venue).  It will distract both mom and dad from the moment that is truly one of a kind for EV fans. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    ^^^altho the child might be the most respectful audience member since its an Ed solo show.   Maybe the Europeans are better behaved :lol:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2017
    ^^^altho the child might be the most respectful audience member since its an Ed solo show.   Maybe the Europeans are better behaved :lol:

I hope so. I swore I'd never go to another Ed solo show after the nearly entire crowd of clods at the Hartford show in 2011.

Even Glen pointed out that he'd like to kick their arses if he didn't have a job to do. And that was early in the night. They only devolved further after that.

But alas, I bought tickets to the night two Taormina show hoping that the folks there are more respectful. The backdrop was just too amazing to pass up.

Similar to the OP, my wife and I are traveling to Europe for our 10th anniversary. The differences being that we're going to Rome and leaving the kids at home with their grandparents for the week. Hopefully. it's been a tough road trying to convince my wife that the kids will be OK without us.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I hope so. I swore I'd never go to another Ed solo show after the nearly entire crowd of clods at the Hartford show in 2011.

Even Glen pointed out that he'd like to kick their arses if he didn't have a job to do. And that was early in the night. They only devolved further after that.

But alas, I bought tickets to the night two Taormina show hoping that the folks there are more respectful. The backdrop was just too amazing to pass up.

Similar to the OP, my wife and I are traveling to Europe for our 10th anniversary. The differences being that we're going to Rome and leaving the kids at home with their grandparents for the week. Hopefully. it's been a tough road trying to convince my wife that the kids will be OK without us.
    Seems like a lot of people are doing this trip with no kids. We are on our 9th year married and leaving the 2 year old and 1 year old at home with both grandparents. The OP may not have this luxury unfortunately so I feel for them. I really think sitting at the back would not be that bad and worse case scenerio someone draws short straw and has to walk home. They will still have a great trip in Sicily. 

Also I am really worried about the crowd at these shows. I have heard nothing but bad things from most people. Is there no way to control these idiots or do they have no shame?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PM @pdalowsky or @dottles. They're in the UK, I think. They'll watch your kid.  =)

And what the hell happened to @theserialthrilla? He'd babysit the hell out of that little bugger. :lol:

Haha!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjamhockeypjamhockey Posts: 5
    edited May 2017
    Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the honest feedback. We have an older one too, so this isn't our first rodeo, but we're just not in a spot to leave both behind. Ultimately, I think I'll be leaving my wife the "good ticket" so she can enjoy the show and I'll be with the little lady in the back of GA. Thanks, PJNB for the input on that. May well be that I'm outside enjoying a night out in Sicily and that's cool. I'm very cognizant of not ruining the night out for other people, but this venue looks too overwhelming to pass up. 

Hawaii with Pearl Jam and U2 was 10 years ago for us, right before our wedding, so this is good symmetry. Looking forward to a wonderful trip either way. 
    Post edited by pjamhockey on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,842
    Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the honest feedback. We have an older one too, so this isn't our first rodeo, but we're just not in a spot to leave both behind. Ultimately, I think I'll be leaving my wife the "good ticket" so she can enjoy the show and I'll be with the little lady in the back of GA. Thanks, PJNB for the input on that. May well be that I'm outside enjoying a night out in Sicily and that's cool. I'm very cognizant of not ruining the night out for other people, but this venue looks too overwhelming to pass up. 

Hawaii with Pearl Jam and U2 was 10 years ago for us, right before our wedding, so this is good symmetry. Looking forward to a wonderful trip either way. 
    If you're determined to do it, then it's important to have this attitude - you may or may not see the show, but you'll be in Sicily anyway so be in the moment and enjoy what it brings anyway. Good luck.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I will just throw this out there. Taking the kid is entirely up to you. You and your wife know best when it comes to your child. If you do take the kid, please for the love of god do not put them on your shoulders and block others view. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    edited May 2017
    I still can't comprehend why anyone would bring a 2 or 3 year old to a concert. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Um is this the type of venue where you could sit on a blanket far back from the crowds?
    If not Id say its time to put parenting above the need the see a concert.
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    dankind said:

I'll be at the show in Taormina
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii.