Options

Any bands/genres you only listen to in certain situations/seasons?

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
I used to be a metalhead. Then Pearl Jam/Nirvana hit and that all changed. However, i still occasionally listen to Metallica, but find it only interests me in winter. And if I find myself listening to something like Xavier Rudd, it's only in summer. Pretty much same goes for Ukulele Songs. 

anyone else have these situational bands/genres?
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    Kula Shaker always reminds me of summer and it sounds best in June.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    RHCP, 311, Sublime are better in the summer for me. Radiohead, seems better during winter, same with goth and shoegaze music. 
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Type O Negative really hits the spot in fall/winter.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Type O Negative really hits the spot in fall/winter.
    Agreed.  I saw them back in the mid 90's maybe open up for Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I hadn't paid attention, but it really seems like I only listen to Metallica in the Fall/Winter months as well. RHCP is definitely my Summer band. Huh..
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited May 2017
    Good topic.  Yes I go in phases.  I love the Who but might not listen to them for a year then suddenly Im totally into them for a week or so.  Pearl Jam of course I can enjoy almost any day of the year.
    Lorenna McKennitt is a beautiful eclectic artist, with mesmerizing talent.  An interesting mix of Celtic folk, a little bit of rock and middle eastern influences as well. She plays a harp for goodness sake.  Very good, but it's not catchy, or anything that makes you feel full of ambition.  So I only listen to her for short periods of time usually in late winter or early spring when the weather is lousy. You put this on with lowlights, the wood stove going, and a bottle of wine and you're all set.  Here is a sample or two.
    Mummers Dance ( probably her best known tune.)
    https://youtu.be/oOnGaTOr8xo

All Souls Night
    https://youtu.be/eKfbVAO6VGA

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Great question/top, HFD! 

For me, at least a few of them. 

Hip hop:  Honestly, I'm not a big fan.  But in the right context, it's perfect.  I'm thinking specifically os some of the music in the movie "The Last Castle" and all of the music in the film, "Ghost Dog".

Opera:  A form of music I appreciate for it's quality but it generally grates on my nerves.  On the other hand, what other music could bring tears so surely as the scene in "Philadelphia" where Tom Hanks is moved my a particular piece of operatic music?

Ambient music:  Love it when I want something as background music to relax or calm down.  In fact that's the only kind of music I ever use as background music because otherwise I rarely do anything while listening to music other than focus on the music.

Hardcore punk:  Best played when I feel like/ as an alternative to breaking things.  Has saved a lot of furniture.  (See also Ambient music, haha!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    brianlux said:
    Great question/top, HFD! 

Hip hop:  Honestly, I'm not a big fan.  But in the right context, it's perfect.  I'm thinking specifically os some of the music in the movie "The Last Castle" and all of the music in the film, "Ghost Dog".

Opera:  A form of music I appreciate for it's quality but it generally grates on my nerves.  On the other hand, what other music could bring tears so surely as the scene in "Philadelphia" where Tom Hanks is moved my a particular piece of operatic music?

Ambient music:  Love it when I want something as background music to relax or calm down.  In fact that's the only kind of music I ever use as background music because otherwise I rarely do anything while listening to music other than focus on the music.

Hardcore punk:  Best played when I feel like/ as an alternative to breaking things.  Has saved a lot of furniture.  (See also Ambient music, haha!)

brianlux said:
    Great question/top, HFD! 

Very interesting.  I drive a semi truck for a living alright.  During the winter I am sometimes required to Drive during inclement weather.  Snowy slippery roads in a truck are very very stressful, especially if you are empty, the risk of sliding and or jackknifing are much greater than if you are loaded, and stopping distance is greater in an empty truck.  Loaded is better, but loaded I usually weigh 79,000-80,000 lbs. That ain't fun in snow either.  I discovered that if I can find a classical/opera station while driving in snow slippery conditions, it really calmes my nerves.  Any other time, I can't stand it.
    I like Into the Wild soundtrack during early fall, Head and the Heart Fall/Winter.
    Spring/Summer mix of Grunge & Outlaw country.  Yeah, the more I think about it a lot of my musical phases are seasonal.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    edited May 2017
    My state of mind dictates what music I wanna listen to at the moment not necessarily a season or situation ! 
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    My state of mind dictates what music I wanna listen to at the moment not necessarily a season or situation ! 
    Like!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I can only tolerate metal when I'm lifting weights or boxing.  I cant stand anything heavier than Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam any other time.
    Otherwise I tend to start the day with easy listening, some CSNY really starts a day well, and get more energetic as the day goes.
    Reggae when ripped.
    Eminem and punk rock when I'm running.

That's all I can think of...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I can only tolerate metal when I'm lifting weights or boxing.  I cant stand anything heavier than Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam any other time.
    Otherwise I tend to start the day with easy listening, some CSNY really starts a day well, and get more energetic as the day goes.
    Reggae when ripped.

Pfft. 

Hippie. 

I figured out your problem. Metallica. Iron Maiden. Maybe Judas Priest. Go listen to them and get angry for gawds sakes.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Reggae when ripped.

Pfft. 

Hippie. 

I figured out your problem. Metallica. Iron Maiden. Maybe Judas Priest. Go listen to them and get angry for gawds sakes.
    Brother, why would you want to create negative vibrations in your aura, man?
    Anger is a cancer of the human spirit, unless you can excise it, you will never open your pineal eye and see the transcendental truth of existence.
    Dude.
  • Options
    Various plants and livestock animals have been shown to grow faster, stronger, and more productive when exposed to music. 
    Not metal though, it's too stressful.  They need those hippie tunes.
  • Options
    I'm just a young sapling trying to grow into a wise old Oak, I need the right tones to encourage my branching.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Reggae when ripped.

Pfft. 

Hippie. 

Brother, why would you want to create negative vibrations in your aura, man?
    Anger is a cancer of the human spirit, unless you can excise it, you will never open your pineal eye and see the transcendental truth of existence.
    Dude.
    I dunno.

Hey here's another one to enrage you: Nine Inch Nails. Have at 'em. I'm listening to them right now- The Idea of You (Not The Actual Events).

Brilliant.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Good topic Hugh! While I have always enjoyed all types of music, metal used to be my go to when I was away from the wife and kids, now, not so much.

I've thought of this before and noticed that I gravitate to certain albums based on time of year and time of day. Just today, I found myself craving the Black album by Metallica. I think it's a nostalgia thing because I discovered them at this time when I was in grade school, specifically that album. Some of my other common picks based on circumstance:

STP: #4 & Core - Fall (Something about Sour Girl and Plush)
    STP: Purple - Spring
    PJ: No Code - Fall
    PJ: Vitalogy - Summer
    PJ: Merkin Ball - Winter
    Jimi Hendrix - Saturday's in summer at home (love to throw on some vinyl)
    Metal - Working out
    Folk/Indie - Sunday mornings
    Hip Hop/R&B/80's - Saturday night dance party at home or with friends
    Amadou & Mariam: Dimanche a Bamako- Summer roadtrip (great driving album)
    Opera - Late evening at home or early morning at work
    Classical - At work when I need to just focus
    Tool - When I need to just let it out (Opiate was a great release on the way home Friday)
    Classic Guitar Rock - Spring/Summer early morning commute (Hit the spot perfect the other day with the sun rising)
    The Head and the Heart: Self Titled - In the mountains (Fit perfect at Mt. Rainier and St. Helens)
    Jazz - A cool Saturday afternoon with the summer breeze blowing through the open windows or at work mid-morning
    Simple Minds: Don't You (Forget About Me) - summer, windows down, radio cranked in the car (Gets me every time)
    Whitesnake: Here I Go Again - See above

I guess I've rambled on long enough :) I could go on forever I'm sure, but as you can tell, music is a pretty big part of my day. It is my drug of choice. It basically starts and ends my days.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I prefer the Grateful Dead in the Spring/Summer.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Good question 
    TEN ,V's. PJ Definetly when things are a bit shitty,both lyrically and music are go too albums,real "fck you"music
    VITALOGY,YIELD ,NO CODE Great driving albums,especially out of the rat race trips
    BONJAH - Until Dawn there first album is whatever shit is going on in my life disappears for the duration of the album
    BONJAH - Go Go Chaos exactly as above with a heavier edge
    CANDLEBOX- self title ,first release is a take on the world album,great workout album
    INTO THE WILD Ed ,probably a self pity mood album and a pick up at the same time
    BAND OF HORSES - acoustic album is a real feel good listen
    RIVAL SONS - all albums offer a song for all emotions
    GnR - Appetite for destruction,bring it on music,gloves on
    THE VERVE - urban hymns is a real feel good album 
    PINK FLOYD - wish you were here,lets me forget about life
    PINK FLOYD - Dark side of the moon ,start down finish up
    THREE FISH - both albums ,care free escapism music
    MAD SEASON - same as above
    TEMPLE OF THE DOG - throw it on when need that escape
    THE HORRIBLE CROWES - Elsie ,definitely same as above

Few that come to mind and the effect they have

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    when I'm in a shit mood, Foo Fighters always, without fail, lift me out. QOTSA have a similar, yet slightly less effective affect. it's weird, I don't often listen to Foo, but when I'm down........Come Alive is easily the best song on the planet. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com