Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    Tiki said:
    Asking for it? She thought she may die.

60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s, wrong is still wrong.

Crime is crime.  (electoral crime is still crime as well...)

I'm not excusing the behavior. I'm just trying to explain the mindset "we" (women, girls) had then, to answer the question "Why did girls even hang out with these guys?" It took me many years to realize I even had a choice and, as I alluded to above, pushing back against obnoxious, unwanted behavior led to threats of violence, if not actual violence.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    The mindset of those boys was and is not normal, even for that era.  It's criminal.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Another “nice” guy that worked for Team Trump Treason. Who here is proud?

Former Trump Aide Jason Miller Accused of Secretly Administering Abortion Pill - Newsweek https://apple.news/AVSar8MOMQY-ts0uKo9ez3Q
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
  • Options
    Tiki said:
    The mindset of those boys was and is not normal, even for that era.  It's criminal.

I'm not arguing that point. I was on the receiving end of their behavior too many times. But what was it like to be a teenage girl or young woman then, and what were we thinking? That, I can speak to, having been a teenage girl in the '80s. The messages we got then were different than they are now.

Why did we hang out with those guys or put up with their behavior? I never was told that I had the power to do anything to stop them. The choices were: 1) "Don't be so sensitive!" -- the precursor to the whole "cool girl" motif.  2) Don't say anything, because boys will be boys, and if you speak up the best -case scenario is that nothing will come of it.  3) Just don't interact with males, don't go looking for trouble. In other words, the message I got was, I was responsible for whatever happened, while having no control over what actually happened.

Example I did NOT share in the now-closed #metoo thread: One time in college, I was hanging out with a group of friends, male and female. A male friend of some of the guys was visiting from another school. We had gone out and walked around campus a bit, and on returning to our dorm we walked by some empty classrooms. The visitor asked me, casually, what those rooms were for, and I explained that they generally were used for evening section/ class meetings. Whereupon, he asked me to step into one of those rooms and "give (me) head."

Naive and very inexperienced young woman that I was, I was taken aback and freaked out by this request. I refused and got away from him as quickly as possible, and explained to the other women in the group what had happened. They were shocked and offended, too, and we all beat a hasty retreat. When our male friends asked what was going on, I, stupidly, related my exchange with their friend.

At that point, their friend went berserk, flying into a rage. He was a Sikh, and, he said, as a Sikh, he was obligated to treat all women with respect. I had destroyed his name, and he now would have to commit suicide, and it was all my fault. He never, ever, would do anything like that, I was a lying slut, etc. etc., his life was ruined....

All because I didn't respond with a light laugh (or eager acceptance) to his proposition.

I'd like to be able to say that that reaction was atypical, but it wasn't. 

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2018
    Tiki said:
    Saw one of the advance screenings of Fahrenheit 11/9 last night...GO.
    Went this afternoon.  As you can tell by my avatar I am Canadian.
    The Flint disaster is shameful and disgusting.  Snyder should be jailed for life and Obama should be constantly reminded of that deplorable act.  I know Eddie and the boys are Democratic supporters, but that old Dem guard hung Sanders out to dry. 
    When we went to see PJ in Krakow this summer we went to Auschwitz and Birkenau.  It was at Birkenau it really hit me... how delicate "democracy" is.  How your freedoms can be taken from you in, seemingly, an instant.  Moore's comparison of Trump to Hitler is not far-fetched folks...

I agree with Tiki... GO SEE IT
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    curmudgeoness 
    message sent

• Options
    Tiki said:
    Saw one of the advance screenings of Fahrenheit 11/9 last night...GO.
    Went this afternoon.  As you can tell by my avatar I am Canadian.
    The Flint disaster is shameful and disgusting.  Snyder should be jailed for life and Obama should be constantly reminded of that deplorable act.  I know Eddie and the boys are Democratic supporters, but that old Dem guard hung Sanders out to dry. 
    When we went to see PJ in Krakow this summer we went to Auschwitz and Birkenau.  It was at Birkenau it really hit me... how delicate "democracy" is.  How your freedoms can be taken from you in, seemingly, an instant.  Moore's comparison of Trump to Hitler is not far-fetched folks...

I agree with Tiki... GO SEE IT

I was born and raised in Flint (I know -- what are the odds? But it's true.).  So much has been wrong there for so long. We're talking decades of corruption and mismanagement, poor planning, flat-out stupid ideas. (Can I get through this post without mentioning Autoworld? No, apparently, I can't. Man, that was a monumental waste of money.) Just about everyone who could leave, myself included, did.

I have no love for Agent Orange. That said, I've known of Michael Moore since he was just another loudmouth on the local radio station, and I honestly don't think he is helping the left at all. He likes to pass himself off to the rest of the world as just another humble shoprat, but his shtick doesn't fly with the actual ordinary, working-class people in Flint. In my observation, he pushes people away more than he brings them around to a more liberal perspective. He certainly makes me want to run screaming from the room whenever he's on television.

I often say that I don't watch horror films because real life is brutal enough. The unvarnished, unembellished, everyday awfulness of gun violence, the opioid crisis, Flint's disintegration, and the wanton cruelty emanating from the current administration is more than I can stomach, most days. These real-life tragedies don't need Michael Moore's editorial touch. They are amply horrifying just as they are.

So, ever the contrarian, I say: Don't go see Michael Moore's movie. Use those 90-odd minutes to read the Washington Post or The Atlantic, or to convince your friends to vote, and donate the cost of your movie tickets to a worthy charity, instead. It's important to be aware of what's happening. It's also essential to keep one's critical thinking skills sharp. I don't think Moore is contributing anything to the debate beyond raising the volume.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2018
    ^^^
    I respect your view (and your thoughts on Moore are not all wrong), but your opinion can hold little water unless you have seen the documentary.  

Its strange to me people want to silence a guy who genuinely wants to make the world a better place.  Take 90 minutes, watch the doc and draw your own conclusion (the same way you would reading the any of the rags you talked about which are owned by corporations or the corporations which advertise in them) 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Looks like Farrow will be breaking a story about another woman..  it's the red headline on Drudge.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/drudge-says-ronan-farrow-and-jane-mayer-set-to-break-report-on-kavanaugh-another-woman/
  • Options
    ^^^
    I respect your view (and your thoughts on Moore are not all wrong), but your opinion can hold little water unless you have seen the documentary.  

Its strange to me people want to silence a guy who genuinely wants to make the world a better place.  Take 90 minutes, watch the doc and draw your own conclusion (the same way you would reading the any of the rags you talked about which are owned by corporations or the corporations which advertise in them) 

Haven’t seen this one. I’ve seen all his other ones. His only interest is making himself appear in “documentaries” and making himself $ and improving his life.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Well there you go. 2 accusations. Both without a lot of details but multiple accusations is more powerful for sure. It’s time to either have a full investigation of both or step down from nomination. Actually even with just the one there should be a full investigation or no vote. I personally find any senator that feels he/she can vote on this judge without an investigation to be unworthy of their position in the senate.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ^^^

Haven’t seen this one. I’ve seen all his other ones. His only interest is making himself appear in “documentaries” and making himself $ and improving his life.

I'm not so sure about this.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ^^^

I’m sure. And I’m sure you aren’t sure. Surely you can see that. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ^^^

I’m sure. And I’m sure you aren’t sure. Surely you can see that. ;)
    No. I can't.

I can think of way worse people.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ^^^

What a tired argument.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    ^^^

What a tired argument.
    Yup, if that was true he wouldn't pick social documentaries as a film maker.
  • Options
    ^^^

What a tired argument.
    What a great argument on his behalf. I’ve watched every one of his documentaries. I will eventually watch this one when it doesn’t give him as much $ likely. But I’m not a fan of his style (he is on screen way too much cause and I personally think he more like Ali G then a true documentary maker).  I actually tend to agree with his viewpoints in the documentaries, bough I really found F 9/11 to be pretty awful.  I’m a huge gun law advocate and hated bowling for Columbine.  I believe his only motive is himself. 

But thats a tired argument whereas not saying anything but “you are wrong” to someone is apparently a terrifically educational and intellectual argument. Yawn, I’m tired.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    ^^^

What a tired argument.
    Yup, if that was true he wouldn't pick social documentaries as a film maker.
    He picks what makes him $ this makes no sense, it only makes cents.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ^^^

What a tired argument.
    What a great argument on his behalf. I’ve watched every one of his documentaries. I will eventually watch this one when it doesn’t give him as much $ likely. But I’m not a fan of his style (he is on screen way too much cause and I personally think he more like Ali G then a true documentary maker).  I actually tend to agree with his viewpoints in the documentaries, bough I really found F 9/11 to be pretty awful.  I’m a huge gun law advocate and hated bowling for Columbine.  I believe his only motive is himself. 

But thats a tired argument whereas not saying anything but “you are wrong” to someone is apparently a terrifically educational and intellectual argument. Yawn, I’m tired.
    I need to take a bit of this back. I’ve not yet watched Sicko either. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ^^^

What a tired argument.

The filmmaker being on screen in the documentaries isn't something unique to Moore. 
    Him being a recognizable character and/by putting himself into the films obviously has helped him getting funding and wide releases.

You seemingly having something against him is clouding your view of the films I think

His technique is to push through a subjective narrative with himself as the guide -- and not have Tom Hanks do a VO like Ken Burns. It's a style. But I don't think how you can see it as "his motive is himself" unless you, as I wrote above have something against him.  Do you hate fast cutting and handheld camera in films too?

And yeah, it is tired.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ^^^

What a tired argument.

The filmmaker being on screen in the documentaries isn't something unique to Moore. 
    Him being a recognizable character and/by putting himself into the films obviously has helped him getting funding and wide releases.

You seemingly having something against him is clouding your view of the films I think

His technique is to push through a subjective narrative with himself as the guide -- and not have Tom Hanks do a VO like Ken Burns. It's a style. But I don't think how you can see it as "his motive is himself" unless you, as I wrote above have something against him.  Do you hate fast cutting and handheld camera in films too?

And yeah, it is tired.
    He's on the cover.  And his "documentaries" are mostly propoganda.  I prefer documentaries that look at all sides of complex issues or focus on the human subjects instead of the filmaker.  

He's definitely a filmmaker with an agenda.  I just don;t like his style and do think he makes it about him.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ^^^

What a tired argument.

And yeah, it is tired.
    He's on the cover.  And his "documentaries" are mostly propoganda.  I prefer documentaries that look at all sides of complex issues or focus on the human subjects instead of the filmaker.  

He's definitely a filmmaker with an agenda.  I just don;t like his style and do think he makes it about him.
    He speaks truth to power.  What do YOU do?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    ^^^

What a tired argument.

And yeah, it is tired.

I would tend to agree. real credible documentaries take all information into account. he just shouts wrongdoings from the rooftops with a big budget. 

I have watched most of his movies, but I also take them with a grain. his style is like Inside Edition for Lefties. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Tiki said:
    ^^^

What a tired argument.

And yeah, it is tired.

Ummm what?   What do I do about what?  Am I not permitted to not like his 1-sided style of documentaries?  My opinion warranted some sort of weird attack on me?  

So - anyhow - what do you want to know.  I'm pretty sure I've actually made a bigger impact on the safety of manufacturing and environmental sustainability than you or Michael Moore.  Where should I send my resume?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Tiki said:
    ^^^

What a tired argument.

And yeah, it is tired.

Ummm what?   What do I do about what?  Am I not permitted to not like his 1-sided style of documentaries?  My opinion warranted some sort of weird attack on me?  

So - anyhow - what do you want to know.  I'm pretty sure I've actually made a bigger impact on the safety of manufacturing and environmental sustainability than you or Michael Moore.  Where should I send my resume?
    no, if you criticize anyone on the left you are then taken to task about what your contributions to society are. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    What does "truth to power" even mean?  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I had to look it up as well, as I keep hearing this and never truly knew what it meant. it means basically, as I understand it, taking risks to speak up about something you believe in. 

I don't hink michael moore is a good example of that. someone who is, is someone who actually has something to lose by being an activist/speaking up. if his movies flop, he is risking very little, if anything at all.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I had to look it up as well, as I keep hearing this and never truly knew what it meant. it means basically, as I understand it, taking risks to speak up about something you believe in. 

I don't hink michael moore is a good example of that. someone who is, is someone who actually has something to lose by being an activist/speaking up. if his movies flop, he is risking very little, if anything at all.  
    So it's about that individual's "truth", which is what I expected.  Yeah, I'm not seeing much "truth to power" these days.  Probably the person that first spoke to Farrow would qualify.  MLK, obviously.  But otherwise, the internet mob will always get behind something.  
This discussion has been closed.