Options

PJ/EV address HOF/drummers

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921

How is it that industry insiders and ex-employees blow the lid off of scandals before they hit the press and disclose hidden truths via forums, blind gossip sites, etc-in every hollywood scandal from drugs to sex rituals to murder cover-ups, but we STILL have the same "Dave A acting like a rockstar/disagreeing with the TM boycott" story?

There is more to this story and I'm surpised it still hasn't been fully divulged-especially on this board.

No guarantee that there is much more to it than that. If there is, it's likely very few people know firsthand. Dave, the band, Kelly Curtis, maybe a few more. Who among them is supposed to be talking and what are they supposed to be saying?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,455

How is it that industry insiders and ex-employees blow the lid off of scandals before they hit the press and disclose hidden truths via forums, blind gossip sites, etc-in every hollywood scandal from drugs to sex rituals to murder cover-ups, but we STILL have the same "Dave A acting like a rockstar/disagreeing with the TM boycott" story?

There is more to this story and I'm surpised it still hasn't been fully divulged-especially on this board.

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters. It's a non-issue except and until DA starts whining every few years.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    edited March 2017
    KV4053 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters. It's a non-issue except and until DA starts whining every few years.
    That's obviously subjective.

What the meaning of the Given to fly lyrics is, is also "a non-issue" or knowing how many times Fatal has been played.

(Personally I don't think there's much more to it then Eddie (and the others) wanting to have the band stand for something politically etc in the vain of Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen etc, and Dave A didn't gel with that or with the band))
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

KV4053 said:

That's obviously subjective.

What the meaning of the Given to fly lyrics is, is also "a non-issue" or knowing how many times Fatal has been played.

(Personally I don't think there's much more to it then Eddie (and the others) wanting to have the band stand for something politically etc in the vain of Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen etc, and Dave A didn't gel with that or with the band))
    again, it doesn't matter to me, but I don't know if it is all about politics or if he was too rock star-ey or whatever else people dramatize it as. it could have simply been personalities not meshing well.

I couldn't stand our first drummer. obnoxious little twit. Frank. he sucked as well, and I'm glad he sucked, because that's what convinced the other guys in the band to can his ass.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364

so spill it.
    And get banned from the board for violating rules?
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,177
    demetrios said:
    I love this so much!! Thanks for sharing.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    Great pic!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,957
    Did Dave A. actually showed up?
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    just_one said:

Did Dave A. actually showed up?

No
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    steved said:

I agree in extremely bad taste to write the letter and not take care of the expense to ensure they can be there. They did NOT have to write the letter. The letter is like saying to a fan. We are having a drawing for a trip for a show to see in Alaska and you have won two tickets but in the fine print " airfare and hotel not included" Either do it, or don't. The band can afford it. Do the correct thing... They are all about speaking about their causes and morals and ethics. This is a perfect opportunity to place principles before personalities.

Why does everyone think the former drummers are so broke?
    I've just assume they'd be okay. Obviously not as rich as the current members, but Dave recorded 2 of their biggest albums. I don't know the legality of it, but wouldn't he get royalties from that?
    Besides, that wouldn't stop me. I couldn't afford to go, but if I got a personal invite from the band I'd take a bus and sleep in a motel 6 a few hours away where I could afford if I had to. I guess I'm saying if he really wanted to go he would have.
    Is he rich? Probably not. But how is he far worse off that the hundreds of fans who travel to see them every tour?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mace1229 said:

steved said:

I agree in extremely bad taste to write the letter and not take care of the expense to ensure they can be there. They did NOT have to write the letter. The letter is like saying to a fan. We are having a drawing for a trip for a show to see in Alaska and you have won two tickets but in the fine print " airfare and hotel not included" Either do it, or don't. The band can afford it. Do the correct thing... They are all about speaking about their causes and morals and ethics. This is a perfect opportunity to place principles before personalities.

I've just assume they'd be okay. Obviously not as rich as the current members, but Dave recorded 2 of their biggest albums. I don't know the legality of it, but wouldn't he get royalties from that?
    Besides, that wouldn't stop me. I couldn't afford to go, but if I got a personal invite from the band I'd take a bus and sleep in a motel 6 a few hours away where I could afford if I had to. I guess I'm saying if he really wanted to go he would have.
    Is he rich? Probably not. But how is he far worse off that the hundreds of fans who travel to see them every tour?
    the ticket price for a regular seat was a fraction of the cost of a seat to be a guest of an inductee. I read $30K, but that was one unverified source.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    edited April 2017
    okay, I didn't realize the band's personal guests had to pay for a ticket, especially at that price.
    That kind of sucks, the HOF should give members not being inducted an honorable mention and a free seat.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    mace1229 said:

okay, I didn't realize the band's personal guests had to pay for a ticket, especially at that price.
    That kind of sucks, the HOF should give members not being inducted an honorable mention and a free seat.

Steve Miller went off about this last year in his induction speech.

"When they told me I was inducted they said, ‘You have two tickets—one for your wife and one for yourself. Want another one? It’s $10,000. Sorry, that’s the way it goes.’ What about my band? What about their wives?"

http://pitchfork.com/news/64693-steve-miller-rips-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    mace1229 said:

steved said:

Not all of them. Just one. Drugs and legal fees can get expensive.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dave A:

Hello, David Abbruzese here....
    Not true, the band and the hall did not invite or contact me.. The band tweeted that they welcomed the idea of the event granting the possibility of all the drummers to be in the same room. That isnt an invite.
    I personally have deep respect for all drummers and of course the five that participated in the pearl jam bands carreer... I am going to say this; For the band to put me in the same light as Matt Chamberlain & Dave K really was a slap in the face. Nothing to do with those guys as people or players. Respect... but as a contributor? A band member? A definitive contributor to the energy and power of where the band went? ...the sacrifices, the work, the physical and emotional contributions...not to mention the personal weight of carrying onthrough and after unceremonious and disrespectful way I was fired. I gave this band all I had to give every single moment I was in it. I never played for a paycheck. I never let the band down. I never let the music down. I never let the fans down... not once. I suppose that is why I am still such a point of contention. Truth be told, if I would have been inducted, I would have requested my tech, Jimmy Shoaf Jr. and my daughter, Francesca to say a few words on my behalf. If they had invited me to be there to witness the bands induction? Nope. To do that would justify the mistake and disrespect the core fans that took this band to heart back when all we were to become, we had to earn and also, most importantly, we had to prove we deserved every single time we took the stage. And we did that. We, the Pearl Jam band & original crew, deserved to be inducted & respected. I'm proud of my old friends for managing it all so well. I dont know if I heard anyone say it, but you're welcome and thank you, too
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937

Dave A:

Hello, David Abbruzese here....
    Not true, the band and the hall did not invite or contact me.. The band tweeted that they welcomed the idea of the event granting the possibility of all the drummers to be in the same room. That isnt an invite.
    I personally have deep respect for all drummers and of course the five that participated in the pearl jam bands carreer... I am going to say this; For the band to put me in the same light as Matt Chamberlain & Dave K really was a slap in the face. Nothing to do with those guys as people or players. Respect... but as a contributor? A band member? A definitive contributor to the energy and power of where the band went? ...the sacrifices, the work, the physical and emotional contributions...not to mention the personal weight of carrying onthrough and after unceremonious and disrespectful way I was fired. I gave this band all I had to give every single moment I was in it. I never played for a paycheck. I never let the band down. I never let the music down. I never let the fans down... not once. I suppose that is why I am still such a point of contention. Truth be told, if I would have been inducted, I would have requested my tech, Jimmy Shoaf Jr. and my daughter, Francesca to say a few words on my behalf. If they had invited me to be there to witness the bands induction? Nope. To do that would justify the mistake and disrespect the core fans that took this band to heart back when all we were to become, we had to earn and also, most importantly, we had to prove we deserved every single time we took the stage. And we did that. We, the Pearl Jam band & original crew, deserved to be inducted & respected. I'm proud of my old friends for managing it all so well. I dont know if I heard anyone say it, but you're welcome and thank you, too
    Out of curiosity...where is this from!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    ^I think it's fake. I doubt he spells his own name wrong.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433

Lol. Great catch!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited April 2017

on2legs said:

Lol. Great catch!

Save the "fake news!!!" for Trump.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,433

on2legs said:

Lol. Great catch!

Hello, Edie Vetter here...
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited April 2017
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Lol. Great catch!

Lol
  • Options
    I wonder if Stoane Gosard has chimed in.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

on2legs said:

Lol. Great catch!

That still doesn't make it a "great catch" as in fake, as you described it.

FreeAssRecords is Dave A's channel, is it not?
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Who is that guy who brings Dave A up in the comments of every PJ video on you tube? Geezus.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options

Who is that guy who brings Dave A up in the comments of every PJ video on you tube? Geezus.

Dave A? ;)
  • Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 458
    So, I just did some quick math in terms of Dave A.'s contributions to the band.
    - PJ albums have sold ~60 million worldwide - Vs and Vitalogy account for ~20% of those sales
    - PJ have played ~968 concerts - Dave A. was the drummer for ~292 shows or 30%
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II | Wrigley I & II