Options

Has the Race Card/ Political Correctness gone too far ?

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    benjs said:

"maybe whitey had ambition to take field blues out of the fields". good god.

you folks can't stand the truth when it interrupts your " poor abused black man" way of thinking, I think you all need some serious
    help....lessons in life that teach you to stop being pitiful self absorbed self described victims and learn to move forward with your thinking and emotions that you pretend to have and believe are so sensitive, you're not doing anybody any favors with your public display of pity.

Have you ever tried to understand the difference between the present and history? One takes place today, the other is about giving respect to, and learning lessons from, what has already happened.

Many of us here don't pretend to have emotions; we actually feel them. I can tell you that some of us recognize what, at the hands of the random universe, we were given at birth. The universe will never equalize opportunity - only humans in possession of power can do that for the humans not in possession of power. If you don't respect history, I'm assuming you similarly don't feel the weight of helping equalize power that should come with beating the odds and being born into a privileged life.

If the "right thing to do" argument doesn't work for you, then try another perspective if it helps. Think about the 'special minds' that, through a combination of their own innate abilities, an education, and sufficient opportunity, were able to change the world and/or our way of thinking: Thomas Edison, Richard Feynman, Steve Jobs, there are a few handfuls of game-changing people. When I think about these people, I can't help but think that with the majority of humans living in developing nation without access to either education or opportunity - it is likely that several Edisons, Feynmans, Jobs', have lived their lives supporting their families with hard and unrewarding labour, and spent their dying days working in agriculture. They have helped their families, but they've never been given the opportunity to help the world in as major a way as they could have. The opportunity cost of this is tremendous. With a different roll of a dice, Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell could've been born into an impoverished family in Somalia, and we likely would not be communicating the way we are right now.
    Benjs thanks for making the effort but your head must hurt from banging it against a wall so often.
    Your trying to make sense to someone who clearly has no interest in what you and others have tried to say over the years.
    He's "a Florida man...." who probably believes that the movie Hidden Figures is a work of liberal activist fiction. And has no interest in things like verifiable data, facts, and evidence as well as common sense.

Thanks again for the effort
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

you folks can't stand the truth when it interrupts your " poor abused black man" way of thinking, I think you all need some serious
    help....lessons in life that teach you to stop being pitiful self absorbed self described victims and learn to move forward with your thinking and emotions that you pretend to have and believe are so sensitive, you're not doing anybody any favors with your public display of pity.

hate is not truth.
    I don't pity victims. Nor am I one.
    I pity the ignorant and downright stupid.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

benjs said:

Have you ever tried to understand the difference between the present and history? One takes place today, the other is about giving respect to, and learning lessons from, what has already happened.

Many of us here don't pretend to have emotions; we actually feel them. I can tell you that some of us recognize what, at the hands of the random universe, we were given at birth. The universe will never equalize opportunity - only humans in possession of power can do that for the humans not in possession of power. If you don't respect history, I'm assuming you similarly don't feel the weight of helping equalize power that should come with beating the odds and being born into a privileged life.

If the "right thing to do" argument doesn't work for you, then try another perspective if it helps. Think about the 'special minds' that, through a combination of their own innate abilities, an education, and sufficient opportunity, were able to change the world and/or our way of thinking: Thomas Edison, Richard Feynman, Steve Jobs, there are a few handfuls of game-changing people. When I think about these people, I can't help but think that with the majority of humans living in developing nation without access to either education or opportunity - it is likely that several Edisons, Feynmans, Jobs', have lived their lives supporting their families with hard and unrewarding labour, and spent their dying days working in agriculture. They have helped their families, but they've never been given the opportunity to help the world in as major a way as they could have. The opportunity cost of this is tremendous. With a different roll of a dice, Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell could've been born into an impoverished family in Somalia, and we likely would not be communicating the way we are right now.
    Benjs thanks for making the effort but your head must hurt from banging it against a wall so often.
    Your trying to make sense to someone who clearly has no interest in what you and others have tried to say over the years.
    He's "a Florida man...." who probably believes that the movie Hidden Figures is a work of liberal activist fiction. And has no interest in things like verifiable data, facts, and evidence as well as common sense.

Thanks again for the effort
    Don't need a helmet, got a hard, hard head :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited February 2017
    Every issue is a case by case basis. Somethings really are racist or insensitive or ignorant. Other things are utterly ridiculous and people need to stop crying and toughen up.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    benjs said:

With a different roll of a dice, Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell could've been born into an impoverished family in Somalia, and we likely would not be communicating the way we are right now.
    Nice.
    We are all subject to the opines of others from our birthplace if you choose.
    I am so fucking happy Pearl Jam is a part of my internal birthplace.
    Imagine Alexander Graham Bell vouching for ISIS,
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    my2hands said:

would it be inconvenient to some of you to request a White History Month ? ......and I'm sure the fried chicken would be no problem.

Every month is White History Month, GF. Do you want February back? Too much FLA sun for the snowflakes having cornflakes?
    fudge sickles batman !..I want the 70's back LOL !, I'm mad as hell and I won't take it anymore !! Gimi back my 70's ! HAHAHAHAHHA !!!!
    I miss bellbottoms, long hair, ditto's (best pair of jeans a gal ever put on) Led Zeppelin, Don Kershner's in Concert, the 66' Chevelle Supper Sport I had in 78', my first chopper in 77' ( yeah I had lots of ditto wearing fox's with that bike LOL !! not really) and on top of it all.....I didn't give a fat frogs ass who was president !

And guess what... you're vote for Trump didn't bring any of that back... you're just starting to figure that out I bet
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAH !!!!!! a shot in the dark ? you may not understand this but voting for a president is not an attempt at re-living the past (bet you still haven't figured that out) and judging by your response you might be a little to young to remember Ditto's and Bell-Bottom's
    your actual age may very....but anyway enjoy your ' day without women ' march , if the day is dedicated to absence of women why would they all show up in one place ? the immigrant's tried it and some lost their jobs because of their absence and guess what..the companies they worked for are still there. LOL !

• Options

I don't really know what this is suggesting.

GF... does God love black people as much as he loves white people?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

of course be does but you should ask him yourself, seriously, ask him.

• Options

Do I have to interpret his response to me by the formation of Cheerios in my cereal bowl? Or will I get a response that I don't have to contrive from my own imagination?

Seriously.
  • Options

Do I have to interpret his response to me by the formation of Cheerios in my cereal bowl? Or will I get a response that I don't have to contrive from my own imagination?

Seriously.
    well my friend, that was as simple and as straight forward as I could get with your question, sorry I put 'be' rather than 'He' in my answer but you know my spelling issue is common knowledge around here. LOL !

• Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    I saw that too
    What a jackass
    Clearly another representation of trump support.
  • Options

I saw that too
    What a jackass
    Clearly another representation of trump support.
    jeepers ! according to this place President Trump has no support. LOL !!

• Options

Seriously.
    well my friend, that was as simple and as straight forward as I could get with your question, sorry I put 'be' rather than 'He' in my answer but you know my spelling issue is common knowledge around here. LOL !

My editing skills are obviously slipping- I never noticed that small error on your part. Dammit.

With all due respect... given your comments to this point in time... my question to you is as follows: if you truly believe in God, then why are you so selective with your love for all of God's children? From what I understand, God loves and forgives all, but it seems as if you are a little hesitant to recognize the plight of many of your brothers and sisters.

Does God recognize countries and imaginary lines created by men? Or does he see humanity as a whole and every individual as part of the whole?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    god only gives a fuck about whitey in first world countries. come on, 30, that's common knowledge!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Seriously.

My editing skills are obviously slipping- I never noticed that small error on your part. Dammit.

With all due respect... given your comments to this point in time... my question to you is as follows: if you truly believe in God, then why are you so selective with your love for all of God's children? From what I understand, God loves and forgives all, but it seems as if you are a little hesitant to recognize the plight of many of your brothers and sisters.

Does God recognize countries and imaginary lines created by men? Or does he see humanity as a whole and every individual as part of the whole?
    this will be the only time I talk about my faith on here...
    God recognizes and loves all his creations, you and I included even if you are a non believer and I am faaaaar from perfect, as far as countries and borders go ? I couldn't tell you what he thinks about them but according to the Bible he is very aware of borders and countries.

• Options

Seriously.

God recognizes and loves all his creations, you and I included even if you are a non believer and I am faaaaar from perfect, as far as countries and borders go ? I couldn't tell you what he thinks about them but according to the Bible he is very aware of borders and countries.

and about that "thinking for yourself" stuff..........
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Seriously.

elaborate please.

• Options

Seriously.

elaborate please.

you blather on and on about liberals and their apparent lack of ability to think critically........and then proceed to talk about the bible........oh, the irony.

I am an atheist BECAUSE I learned to think for myself. FACT. believe what you will, but don't talk to others about not thinking for themselves when you blindly follow the teachings of the church.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    The Walking Dead tshirt controversy is one case of PC gone too far. So society can't say "Eeny Meeny Miny Moe Catch a Tiger by the Toe" apparently.

Glad the stars of the show are slamming the people who were offended
  • Options

The Walking Dead tshirt controversy is one case of PC gone too far. So society can't say "Eeny Meeny Miny Moe Catch a Tiger by the Toe" apparently.

what? hadn't heard about this.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Seriously.

elaborate please.

you blather on and on about liberals and their apparent lack of ability to think critically........and then proceed to talk about the bible........oh, the irony.

I am an atheist BECAUSE I learned to think for myself. FACT. believe what you will, but don't talk to others about not thinking for themselves when you blindly follow the teachings of the church.
    have you forgotten the free will of man ?

• Options

Seriously.

elaborate please.

no. as I live and breathe.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Seriously.

elaborate please.

what I always find amusing is how christians reconcile their desire to believe in free will, but when something bad happens, it's "god's plan".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Yup. It is very stupid. One lonely white dude in the UK got triggered, and suddenly this has become an issue.
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/23/walking-dead-negan-t-shirt-controversy/
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

Seriously.

Very aware?

Meaning: concerning to him because they serve as dividers... or approving of them because they serve as dividers?

The lottery of life, man.

And you know what? My grandparents immigrated to Canada from Ukraine. They populated the prairies (Fosston, Saskatchewan) with other Ukranians and life wasn't easy. They lived in a one bedroom house having eight children. Social services took my father's baby sister. My grandfather died early.

Dad left home, fatherless, with nothing at the age of 12. He worked construction and worked hard making a life for my mother, sister and I. I don't know hardship, but my parents do. My grandparents made a sacrifice so that eventually their kids and grandchildren might lead a better life. Baba lived to 100. Died in Saskatoon about 7-8 years ago. I owe them so much.

Why tell this? I can relate to the 'work hard and make something of yourself' notion. I've seen it happen. The problem though is that I don't think the same opportunity exists for people these days. People born to the inner city... what chance do they have? What opportunities exist for them? If you're honest with yourself... you'd say "not many."
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    ennie mennie ......
    I don't get it?
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Yup. It is very stupid. One lonely white dude in the UK got triggered, and suddenly this has become an issue.
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/23/walking-dead-negan-t-shirt-controversy/
    there were racist lyrics in the US national anthem until they were changed or omitted entirely. I guess people should stop singing it then?

you are correct, this is very stupid.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    rssesq said:

ennie mennie ......
    I don't get it?

You don't get what?
    eeny meeny used to have a really terrible connotation as to what you were catching by the toe.
    It was even sung on the playground while I was in elementary schoool- yes in Canada.
    I don't see a problem with Tiger instead or any other non-racist word for that matter.
    I don't hear kids singing the old version anymore at least not around me anyway.
  • Options

Seriously.

Very aware?

Meaning: concerning to him because they serve as dividers... or approving of them because they serve as dividers?

The lottery of life, man.

And you know what? My grandparents immigrated to Canada from Ukraine. They populated the prairies (Fosston, Saskatchewan) with other Ukranians and life wasn't easy. They lived in a one bedroom house having eight children. Social services took my father's baby sister. My grandfather died early.

Dad left home, fatherless, with nothing at the age of 12. He worked construction and worked hard making a life for my mother, sister and I. I don't know hardship, but my parents do. My grandparents made a sacrifice so that eventually their kids and grandchildren might lead a better life. Baba lived to 100. Died in Saskatoon about 7-8 years ago. I owe them so much.

Why tell this? I can relate to the 'work hard and make something of yourself' notion. I've seen it happen. The problem though is that I don't think the same opportunity exists for people these days. People born to the inner city... what chance do they have? What opportunities exist for them? If you're honest with yourself... you'd say "not many."
    interesting story and worth the read, opportunity is out there but sometimes it needs to be found and clear choices in judgment and action
    are the beginning of any level of success and what you are willing to work for, using blame and pointing fingers will not make your path to success shorter or easier nor will waiting for something to happen....make it happen, follow leads, make good choices and don't place blame for your misfortunes on anybody else.