Options

2017 No Covers tour

BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937
There has been a fair bit of discussion in other threads about the number of covers performed at each show. The number varies of course and I for one do enjoy a rousing rendition of Baba, RitFW and Sonic Reducer, and the recent covers of Masters of War are really great.
However there are many great PJ songs that could get played more often in their place.
Here is a list (one from each album) that I'd love to hear more often:

Ten: Garden (played at just 16% of shows since debut according to stat tracker)
VS: Dissident 26% of shows since debut
Vitalogy: Tremor Christ 11%
No Code: Red Mosquito 13%
Yield: In Hiding 15%
Binaural: Parting Ways 5%
Riot Act: Half Full 17%
Self Titled: Marker in the Sand 15%
Backspacer: Force of Nature 6%
Lightning Bolt: Getaway 18%

These are of course just examples and their are many other great songs that have been played less. I suppose that what makes these songs pretty special is that they don't get played too often so when we do hear them it's a real treat but with such an extensive catalogue why not play them more often and a few less covers.
Melbourne #1 '98
Melbourne #2 '03
Melbourne #3 '03
Melbourne #1 '06
Melbourne #3 '06
Melbourne '09
Melbourne '14

Comments

• Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,039
    I really don't mind hearing some cover songs played live. I have heard some amazing songs that way...However, there are still a few PJ originals that I have yet to hear live...Tremor Christ, Red Mosquito, and Glorified G being my top 3 need to hear!
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I thought for sure we'd get Red Mosquito at one of the Wrigley '16 shows. Don't know why, I was just optimistic I guess. Still waiting to hear that one.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    I love when PJ does covers. Don't want them to stop
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Covers are great. As long as it is a limited amount.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    I like the covers too especially when they do different ones. Loved Comfortably Numb last tour.

Red Mosquito and Down are way underplayed. I wish those 2 would be regulars.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Nothing wrong with a couple covers per show.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    I would not be upset in the least if PJ announced in the next newsletter:

"Check it out, y'all. We woke up this morning and just decided as a band that we are sofa king sick of playing Baba O'Riley and Rockin in the Free World that it makes our collective heads spin. Effective immediately we will never play those songs again. Oh, and Even Flow too. We're really sick of that one too and just don't feel like playing it anymore"
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    AceCool said:

I would not be upset in the least if PJ announced in the next newsletter:

"Check it out, y'all. We woke up this morning and just decided as a band that we are sofa king sick of playing Baba O'Riley and Rockin in the Free World that it makes our collective heads spin. Effective immediately we will never play those songs again. Oh, and Even Flow too. We're really sick of that one too and just don't feel like playing it anymore"

add Betterman too

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Gotta play better man and last kiss for the girlfriends PJ fans drag to the shows.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    who's gonna be the first one to say something along the lines of: "pearl jam can play whatever they want."
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Doesn't every band play covers?
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    pearl jam can play whatever they want
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

Doesn't every band play covers?

most, I would say, yes. if not a full one, at least a tease or a tag. and these bands don't play NEARLY as many songs at a show as PJ does.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,284
    Covers are great but any tour with more Tremor Christ or Red Mosquito is fine by me!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Some good points here and yes, the band can play whatever they like, maybe some more of the songs I listed would be nice. Maybe my point is why play a cover when you have so many great songs of your own.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    MF658872MF658872 Posts: 247
    Covers are fine, but yes the songs mentioned above should be played more often. I like if You Are and Alone were also played more.
    Philly 1 2016                     
    EV New York 2016            
    TOTD Philly 2 2016 
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction 2017 
    Boston 1 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    EV New York 1 & 2 2022
    Berlin 2022
    Frankfurt 2022
    New York 2022
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    Petitions seem to work.
  • Options
    I'm not against covers at all, but some new ones would be nice. Even if they were just different The Who and Neil Young songs. I really enjoyed seeing Comfortably Numb this last year. I thought Mike did a great job.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    No covers....25 songs or less....two recent threads that I couldn't disagree with more. I respect these op's opinions, but hostly feel these are the worst threads ever. A big part of the reason I love this band so much, and perhaps the biggest reason I'm willing to travel to multiple shows is that they play 33+ songs/night and also play exciting and often unexpected covers.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    mwplum said:

No covers....25 songs or less....two recent threads that I couldn't disagree with more. I respect these op's opinions, but hostly feel these are the worst threads ever. A big part of the reason I love this band so much, and perhaps the biggest reason I'm willing to travel to multiple shows is that they play 33+ songs/night and also play exciting and often unexpected covers.

Yeah exactly, PJ is one of the very very few bands I would follow for multiple shows on a tour.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I can go either way. My white whale was Sonic Reducer and many of my favourite pj tunes are covers that have been around for years. I really enjoyed the covers at the Wrigley shows. The thing is after Wrigley I've seen most of my favourite PJ covers. Love Reign O'er Me withstanding. Rare covers, rare originals. I'm really good with both. PJ does some of the best covers in the business. As long as it's not the same ones over and over and over again I'm ok. I remember being disappointed in 2009 where I attended Calgary and both Seattle Shows. The cover in the encore set was The Real Me each night. At a minimum it's nice if they mix it up when playing back to back shows in the same city :) Then again I loved the Surrender cover at Wrigley and that was worth hearing twice.

Conclusion: I'm completely inconsistent... band should keep doing what they're doing :)
  • Options
    mwplum said:

Don't disagree with you one bit. but if I had a choice of PJ original or cover I take the PJ song. I suppose I cast my mind back to Fenway 1. I think they played 6 covers. Some people were a little disappointed. I think the band play fantastic versions of other bands' songs. 6 in one show is a little over the top. However as someone pointed out the band can play whatever they want. And I'm happy with that. I was just opening up the discussion and it's nice to hear people's views.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    HollandHolland Posts: 73
    A whole tour would be way to much imo. I would love though for them to do something like "The Experiment" again. Focus on their whole library and make it a 4 day event. If only an arena was closing shop this year to make this happen.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509

mwplum said:

Don't disagree with you one bit. but if I had a choice of PJ original or cover I take the PJ song. I suppose I cast my mind back to Fenway 1. I think they played 6 covers. Some people were a little disappointed. I think the band play fantastic versions of other bands' songs. 6 in one show is a little over the top. However as someone pointed out the band can play whatever they want. And I'm happy with that. I was just opening up the discussion and it's nice to hear people's views.
    I totally get your point, and this is besides the issue of this thread, but I should say...One of them at Fenway was I've got a feeling, dedicated to my recently departed father. Grief was so raw at that moment, and it really helped in the healing process. Words really can't express how memorable and heart wrenching that was for my wife and I. We will forever treasure that moment. This band just gets it, I can't think of any others that have created such a community of good people. We honestly feel blessed to have grown up on this music and to be part of this great community.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • Options
    mwplum said:

mwplum said:

I totally get your point, and this is besides the issue of this thread, but I should say...One of them at Fenway was I've got a feeling, dedicated to my recently departed father. Grief was so raw at that moment, and it really helped in the healing process. Words really can't express how memorable and heart wrenching that was for my wife and I. We will forever treasure that moment. This band just gets it, I can't think of any others that have created such a community of good people. We honestly feel blessed to have grown up on this music and to be part of this great community.
    Glad you got to hear it! Must have been an amazing moment!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Forgot about this song!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    what is happening to some of you guys?

this lack of shows is frying your brains.

We've got some people saying the shows are too long and now declaring theyre not bothered about certain songs and please stop playing covers. Maybe youve been to too many shows and should let some other fans enjoy every single moment of what are pretty rare events, I think in the UK we've had 6 shows in 9 years!!!!!

I love the long shows and love the covers, for me, these shows are perfect the way they are.....I seriously cannot believe what people complain about on here.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Bah, they can play whatever they want...covers, hits, deep cuts, full albums, or whatever. I'm just happy to see them
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    One cover a show would be my vote. Way too many lately. With an expanding catalog they need to focus on their own material. Bands with one or two studio albums need to play covers to round out the set, PJ doesn't have that problem.