Options

Blank Discussion Topic

Comments

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    mrussel1 said:

vaggar99 said:

there was a time when i thought 25 songs wasn't enough. As in, I could stand there all night. I still would be okay with that if it was a show that i was luck enough to be at. In general, it does seem like the shows have gotten longer than necessary. Perhaps if ticket prices were more reasonable the band wouldn't feel obligated to play such long shows?

I think ticket prices are very reasonable compared to what the market would command. Look at Rolling Stones or Roger Waters prices. They are obscene. The only thing that has changed is me... I'm less willing to hang for a rail spot or stand at a festival for 10 hours. The last one I did was Midtown in 2012 and that's because there were only three US shows that year.
    I agree, PJ prices relative to the industry are reasonable. Its just that the industry is not reasonable.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    vaggar99 said:

mrussel1 said:

vaggar99 said:

there was a time when i thought 25 songs wasn't enough. As in, I could stand there all night. I still would be okay with that if it was a show that i was luck enough to be at. In general, it does seem like the shows have gotten longer than necessary. Perhaps if ticket prices were more reasonable the band wouldn't feel obligated to play such long shows?

I think ticket prices are very reasonable compared to what the market would command. Look at Rolling Stones or Roger Waters prices. They are obscene. The only thing that has changed is me... I'm less willing to hang for a rail spot or stand at a festival for 10 hours. The last one I did was Midtown in 2012 and that's because there were only three US shows that year.
    I agree, PJ prices relative to the industry are reasonable. Its just that the industry is not reasonable.
    That is the damn truth. I think you can thank Apple, Spotify, and the like for that. The economic model of streaming music has devalued the artist's studio work. They get very little cut. From what I understand, tours are where they make money. Not 100% sure that's true, but I've read that in a few places.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    mrussel1 said:

vaggar99 said:

mrussel1 said:

vaggar99 said:

That is the damn truth. I think you can thank Apple, Spotify, and the like for that. The economic model of streaming music has devalued the artist's studio work. They get very little cut. From what I understand, tours are where they make money. Not 100% sure that's true, but I've read that in a few places.
    That is true. Ed has said this himself
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    trying to be objective, I would say Pearl Jam is a band who should play shorter shows. Not skimping on the hits though.

But obviously, I would like them to play foreeeeeveeeeeeer.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    No, 25 is not enough.
    mwplum said:

Lol, I don't get up to piss anyways. Honestly I'm a borderline alcoholic, but when it comes to PJ shows I buy a bottle of water and that's it. I look forward to live shows often for years or months at a time, so the last thing I want to do is forget one second of the show. Not a criticism of anyone who enjoys booze at shows, but I've seen people fall asleep (pass out) in their seats before the show even starts. Also, I don't think I'd be as inclined to travel for multiple shows if they were shorter or more predictable.

I'm with you on this one. H2O or light drinking for me. I made the rookie mistake of drinking too much before Wrigley this year. I was up jamming the entire show but the details are fuzzier than I'd like for a show I waited 6 months to see. Lesson learned.

As far as length of show...the LONGER the BETTER! :)
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    No, 25 is not enough.
    How about more shows and runs like the Spectrum in '09. I could get behind 4 nights at selected major cities around the US with no repeats :)

Enough of this shorter shows BS talk. 30+ every night is perfect!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,177
    bbiggs said:

mwplum said:

Lol, I don't get up to piss anyways. Honestly I'm a borderline alcoholic, but when it comes to PJ shows I buy a bottle of water and that's it. I look forward to live shows often for years or months at a time, so the last thing I want to do is forget one second of the show. Not a criticism of anyone who enjoys booze at shows, but I've seen people fall asleep (pass out) in their seats before the show even starts. Also, I don't think I'd be as inclined to travel for multiple shows if they were shorter or more predictable.

I'm with you on this one. H2O or light drinking for me. I made the rookie mistake of drinking too much before Wrigley this year. I was up jamming the entire show but the details are fuzzier than I'd like for a show I waited 6 months to see. Lesson learned.

2 beers (real beers, not that light stuff) is the sweet spot, with bathroom break after the opener (or right before if no opener). Enough buzz to have a little more fun without fuzzy recollection or lots of bathroom breaks. The whole show to me is an experience!

DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options

bbiggs said:

mwplum said:

2 beers (real beers, not that light stuff) is the sweet spot, with bathroom break after the opener (or right before if no opener). Enough buzz to have a little more fun without fuzzy recollection or lots of bathroom breaks. The whole show to me is an experience!

Two beers and some candy from Colorado will treat you perfect. No running to the bathroom, great buzz but full memory.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    No, 25 is not enough.
    pjhawks said:

this is the dumbest question ever asked here. what are you going to ask next should 6 packs of beer only come in 4 to make it easier to drink? :anguished:

Could not have said it any better myself. Bravo.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited December 2016
    Yes, 25 is good.
    Personally, the Yield era show length was perfect. No lulls. The pacing was perfect. I definitely understand wanting to see the band for as long as possible and hearing more and more rare stuff. Its just to me a perfect flowing bootleg would be 22-25 songs
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    mrussel1 said:

vaggar99 said:

mrussel1 said:

vaggar99 said:

i would take it a step further and say the invention magnetic media sealed the fate of music. It just took 50 years for the rest of the technological pieces to fall into place.

Anyhow, its unfortunate. now all we got is mediocre at best pop music. you got the Stones who don't even bother writing new songs. U2 and PJ at least put something out every few years. REM gave up. Neil never stopped.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    No, 25 is not enough.

Personally, the Yield era show length was perfect. No lulls. The pacing was perfect. I definitely understand wanting to see the band for as long as possible and hearing more and more rare stuff. Its just to me a perfect flowing bootleg would be 22-25 songs

This might because they'd written next to no "clunkers" by that point. Imagine either one of those 1998 Vault releases with 10 more 1990s songs!!!!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    No, 25 is not enough.
    rummy said:

This might because they'd written next to no "clunkers" by that point. Imagine either one of those 1998 Vault releases with 10 more 1990s songs!!!!
    That really is s great point. Every single song was kick ass at that point. 98 has to be their best tour ever.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    No, 25 is not enough.
    You are being weird, OP.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    No, 25 is not enough.

You are being weird, OP.

This is pretty normal behavior for him...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Yes, 25 is good.
    rummy said:

Very good point.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    27-30 songs would be perfect...gives them a chance to pull back on the tempo of most songs and get them back to the speed they deserve.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    No, 25 is not enough.
    This fan wants them to play whatever they feel like on any given night
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    edited January 2017
    Jason P said:

How are we supposed to piss without piss break songs?

I never piss break at a concert. Whether its 2 hours or 3 hours. For PJ shows (where I have GA tix) I drink lots of fluids up until around 30 to 60 minutes before doors open. Just enough time to let the rest flow out. Then I stay dehydrated until the show's over. It usually works out really good, but I'm super thirsty by the time the show is over. Sure I was a little envious at the people drinking beer in the Wrigley Pit, but then I saw what a crapshow it was trying to get around that thing....

I guess that answers the OP's question though. I'd rather see them keep doing 3 hour sets. Maybe mix up the staples they play a bit more. We really don't need Even Flow at every show :) but that's only 1 song.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Yes, 25 is good.
    Love the longer concerts...but also love a great support band too. I remember at Manchester 2009 they played for around 2 hrs.. With the great support band Gomez. Memorable evening. They've probably set a benchmark now where the fans expect a 3hr concert...so it'll be difficult to change...but it's the bands decision ....love the impact of a shorter set myself...with a extended rearviewmirror. ....whatever though...it's all good:)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2017
    Yes, 25 is good.
    While a 3+ hour show is nice, I feel like doing that is actually detrimental to the band's overall performance on tour. Such long shows are just too hard on Eddie's voice night after night. And that isn't an insult to Eddie. Most singers couldn't even do 25 a night, let alone 30+. So yeah, if their shows were 2.25 - 2.5 hours, that is still a really long show and I think it could improve each show a bit and cut down on the voice cracking issue we hear sometimes.
    Now if the question is more about longer songs, more jamming or tags or whatever, a little more experimentation on stage, but still have 3+ hour shows with a 25 song setlist... yeah, I'd also be really happy with that option. I guess I just don't see the need to cram as many songs as possible into a setlist.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited January 2017
    No, 25 is not enough.
    Longer sets to me means more for the fanatical and more for the guy who only knows Jeremy, Black, Alive, and Betterman.. They create their setlists to attempt to please everyone including themselves. The shorter sets if you think about it, will be only cutting out the rare tracks, not the hits. That's what happens (Festival sets). There are more fans that attend that are not hardcore then are.. That would be boring for the band and for us...I am sure the band enjoys musically playing a song they have played once or twice on a tour more than the song they have played every night, because it is the new exciting friend they haven't seen in awhile.. and they also feed off of the energy of thousands of fans singing back the lyrics to the crowd favorites.. It has to be both!
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    Zod said:

Jason P said:

How are we supposed to piss without piss break songs?

I never piss break at a concert. Whether its 2 hours or 3 hours. For PJ shows (where I have GA tix) I drink lots of fluids up until around 30 to 60 minutes before doors open. Just enough time to let the rest flow out. Then I stay dehydrated until the show's over. It usually works out really good, but I'm super thirsty by the time the show is over. Sure I was a little envious at the people drinking beer in the Wrigley Pit, but then I saw what a crapshow it was trying to get around that thing....

I guess that answers the OP's question though. I'd rather see them keep doing 3 hour sets. Maybe mix up the staples they play a bit more. We really don't need Even Flow at every show :) but that's only 1 song.
    After 50+ shows for me, my wife was finally ready to go to a show, mostly because it included a weekend of Chicago shopping. Night 2 we were in the pit... probably center about 1/3 of the way back. She had to go to the bathroom by the time Immortality started. Shockingly
    PJ_Soul said:

While a 3+ hour show is nice, I feel like doing that is actually detrimental to the band's overall performance on tour. Such long shows are just too hard on Eddie's voice night after night. And that isn't an insult to Eddie. Most singers couldn't even do 25 a night, let alone 30+. So yeah, if their shows were 2.25 - 2.5 hours, that is still a really long show and I think it could improve each show a bit and cut down on the voice cracking issue we hear sometimes.
    Now if the question is more about longer songs, more jamming or tags or whatever, a little more experimentation on stage, but still have 3+ hour shows with a 25 song setlist... yeah, I'd also be really happy with that option. I guess I just don't see the need to cram as many songs as possible into a setlist.

Jam longer and sing less? Absolutely. No issues. Bruce is still going strong. Hopefully we also have 15 more years of tours.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    No, 25 is not enough.
    People actually want shorter shows? :confounded:
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    No, 25 is not enough.

People actually want shorter shows? :confounded:

Apocalypse days..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    WTF? Its great the way it is..we dont know how long we're gonna get or which songs, some you'll like some you may not like so much..but thats the wonderment of these shows. Nothing comes close from any other band.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options
    too much of everything is just enough
  • Options
    Why does this thread still exist? This is dumb. Anyone who wants less live PJ should have to give their tickets away.
  • Options

Why does this thread still exist? This is dumb. Anyone who wants less live PJ should have to give their tickets away.

Could always leave after Encore 1 too..
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited January 2017
    Yes, 25 is good.
    mrussel1 said:

Could always leave after Encore 1 too..
    I had friends do that at a show in 2013. I was actually a little mad at them, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata