Options

Blank Discussion Topic

124»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Yes, 25 is good.
    25 songs is a good number. For PJ I think 28-30 songs is about right.

35 songs is great if they mixed up the last encore, but when the last 5 songs are predictable, I lose some interest and am usually ready to go. The curse of seeing too many shows. Nothing wrong with what the band is doing.
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195

People actually want shorter shows? :confounded:

I know, im actually stunned by this whole thread. PJ shows are incredible and I cannot believe what Im reading.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628
    edited January 2017
    Yes, 25 is good.

35 songs is great if they mixed up the last encore, but when the last 5 songs are predictable, I lose some interest and am usually ready to go. The curse of seeing too many shows. Nothing wrong with what the band is doing.

No, there is nothing wrong with what the band is doing. I just also think there would be nothing wrong with a little change either. Such change might become necessary, depending on how Eddie's voice holds up. Change wouldn't = worse.
    I agree about the last 5 songs. Would be cool if they mixed it up more. Though I'm not anywhere near the point of wanting to leave early because of it!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    PJ_Soul said:

No, there is nothing wrong with what the band is doing. I just also think there would be nothing wrong with a little change either. Such change might become necessary, depending on how Eddie's voice holds up. Change wouldn't = worse.
    I agree about the last 5 songs. Would be cool if they mixed it up more. Though I'm not anywhere near the point of wanting to leave early because of it!
    They definitely are influenced by Bruce and the way he structures set lists. It's obviously geared towards the average fan to make them walk away from the show having just heard their favorite song(s) and walking away satisfied. It's hard to please us and the average person. But when they throw in a Sonic Reducer or Fuckin' Up, then I'm quite happy at the end too. And I never get sick of Baba... not sure why but the song just makes me happy.
  • Options
    HollandHolland Posts: 73
    No, 25 is not enough.
    The more songs the better for me. I have been to seven shows and 3 of them have had 35+ songs. Hell if they have the energy play 40!!!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,270
    mrussel1 said:

They definitely are influenced by Bruce and the way he structures set lists. It's obviously geared towards the average fan to make them walk away from the show having just heard their favorite song(s) and walking away satisfied. It's hard to please us and the average person. But when they throw in a Sonic Reducer or Fuckin' Up, then I'm quite happy at the end too. And I never get sick of Baba... not sure why but the song just makes me happy.

And it took me until my 25th show (wrigley 2) to even get Sonic Reducer. I actually felt that for a while the rarities only came in the encores. So I was always looking forward to seeing what I'd get. While the end the main set and encores repeat a handful of songs (rearviewmirror, porch, Yellow Ledbetter etc..), I felt encores were where you had the best chance of hearing those rare gems you've been waiting decades to hear.

This past tour there were deep cuts in the regular set. At least at Pemberton and the Wrigley shows. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't want them going shorter. The more the play the more of a chance I get to hear something I have heard live before. I have to assume they don't want to take staples out of a setlist, because they play to both casual and hardcore fans. I'm guessing it's the rare originals/covers that would suffer the cutbacks. No thanks :)
  • Options
    No, 25 is not enough.
    Holland said:

The more songs the better for me. I have been to seven shows and 3 of them have had 35+ songs. Hell if they have the energy play 40!!!

Absolutely. I will stay as long as they want to play!
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,079
    No, 25 is not enough.

I have never felt "ready to go" at a PJ show. In fact, every show has been opposite. Im usually bummed its coming to an end. And years like right now I'm just wondering when the next chance I can see them will be.

I guess my point is this is one of the dumbest threads I've seen. IMO anyway ( I guess some people actually want PJ to play less songs :confused: )
    Im excited they are still around and putting on 32+ song, 3+ hr shows 25 years later!
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    edited January 2017
    20-25 W/ Some covers

Oops....I misunderstood, I CHANGE my vote to:
    *****No, 25 is not enough!!!!! Dammit!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,270

I have never felt "ready to go" at a PJ show. In fact, every show has been opposite. Im usually bummed its coming to an end. And years like right now I'm just wondering when the next chance I can see them will be.

I guess my point is this is one of the dumbest threads I've seen. IMO anyway ( I guess some people actually want PJ to play less songs :confused: )
    Im excited they are still around and putting on 32+ song, 3+ hr shows 25 years later!
    Yah a 3 hour PJ show feels like an hour to me. I still want more. It's funny those Wrigley shows felt short, but then I go see the counting crows a few days later and they made 90 minutes feel like 3 hours.... lol.
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    No, 25 is not enough.
    Imagine asking the crowd this before the gig started. You'd get flipping pelted for yelling anything other than the obvious answer! Pay good bucks, play for as long as you can go and give fans a night to remember. Simple.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315

Imagine asking the crowd this before the gig started. You'd get flipping pelted for yelling anything other than the obvious answer! Pay good bucks, play for as long as you can go and give fans a night to remember. Simple.

Yeah no doubt ! As if I'm walking into venue I'm hoping for a 25 song show instead of hoping they just play for as long as they feel the need too ! Like @ Penn State they just wanted to keep playing all night at least it seemed that way ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Yes, 25 is good.

I guess I just get that "bummed" feeling 5 songs earlier than you.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    VillagePJ said:

People actually want shorter shows? :confounded:

I know, im actually stunned by this whole thread. PJ shows are incredible and I cannot believe what Im reading.
    People feel entitled.
  • Options
    Yes, 25 is good.
    No reason to get bent out of shape. This thread is fine. People just giving opinions on whether they prefer longer shows or not.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    No, 25 is not enough.

Jason P said:

How are we supposed to piss without piss break songs?

If the concert was nice and tight no one would get up until the encore. So have a 15 song set, intermission then a 5 song encore.
    In, get some PJ, out.
    Are you mental? That would suck. The longer the better. This is a ridiculous proposal.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!