Options

A mother’s Craigslist plea brings her kids a Christmas they’ll never forget

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,910
edited December 2016 in The Porch
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-mothers-craiglist-plea-brings-her-kids-a-christmas-theyll-never-forget/2016/12/25/1a8a053c-cada-11e6-a747-d03044780a02_story.html

A mother’s Craigslist plea brings her kids a Christmas they’ll never forget

Tyshika Britten tosses gifts to one of her sons waiting with open arms. (Michael S. Williamson/The Washington Post)
By Michael S. Rosenwald and Theresa Vargas December 25 at 4:44 PM

Donnell Booker Jr. tore through the wrapping paper on Christmas morning, revealing a seven-inch Kindle Fire and a smile nearly as wide.

“This is my tablet,” the 8-year-old said. “My tablet. Who got me this?”

It wasn’t his mother or father, even though they were dressed as elves.

“We don’t know,” said his father, Donnell Booker Sr. “It was someone very generous. That’s all we know.”

The tablet showed up one day last week after Booker’s mother, Tyshika Britten, posted a message on Craigslist saying her family of five boys and a baby girl were facing eviction from their home in Oxon Hill, Md. There probably wouldn’t be Christmas gifts, maybe not even a tree.

“I’m such a failure right now,” she wrote. “Please help me.”

Her message, thanks in part to a Washington Post article about her family’s troubles, went viral, generating hundreds of offers to help from around the world. Someone sent a PlayStation 4. Someone dropped off a puppy.

And someone named Eddie Vedder sent a check for $10,000.

“Is he in a band?” Britten asked.

Pearl Jam, Google told her. When the bank teller saw his name and the amount, his head dropped into his hands. The family has been watching his concerts online.

“I was just so moved by the story and what this mother did for her children,” Vedder said in an interview Sunday. “I thought those kids must be so proud of their mother for reaching out. That takes a lot of courage.”

Vedder said he saw some of his own childhood in their story.

Desperate parents plead for toys for children.

“There were years there were toys from Santa, but they were used and they came from garage sales and they didn’t always work,” he said. Vedder knows there are complex social issues beyond the range of his check, but he wanted to provide, as he put it, “a tourniquet” to help the family gain some control and normalcy.

A Christmas with presents helps, too.

Britten watched her kids tear the wrapping off video games, shirts, remote-control cars, winter coats, science sets, Legos, footballs, basketballs, and more — arriving at all hours in dozens of UPS truck deliveries, which was a new experience for the family. They have never ordered anything online.

The elves took the packages to the basement, where they divided them up and wrapped. And wrapped.

“Oh my Jesus, oh my Jesus, oh my Jesus,” 15-year-old Vashon said, unwrapping the PlayStation.

Chase, 3, gave a play-by-play of his presents.

Opening a car, he said, “A car.” Then he dropped it.

Opening a truck, he said, “A truck.” Then he dropped it.

Morgan, his 1-year-old sister, cradled a new baby doll. Asked the baby’s name, Morgan laughed.

The puppy, named Phoenix, looked tired. Nearby, hanging on the wall, was a sticker that read, “Bless the God Before Us And the Love Between Us.”

As they unwrapped the love, Britten suspected the hate was waiting for her on social media and in messages from a ­GoFundMe page she set up because people were requesting a way to send cash.

Online trolls have questioned her parenting ability and demanded she “close her legs.”

A friend on Facebook offered support.

“Don’t let the devil mess with your head,” she wrote.

Others criticized Britten for exposing and embarrassing her family. But the hairdresser and Booker, her longtime boyfriend and a struggling construction worker, don’t hide their financial problems.

Anyway, it would be impossible: They’ve moved multiple times and once ran a hose to a neighbor’s home for water.

“I’m not exposing my family,” she said in front of her children. “I’m exposing how a lot of people have to live. There are people all over this country who have the same problems we have. This is real life.”

Now the family is hoping this windfall — in addition to Vedder’s check, the GoFundMe page has raised nearly $18,000 — will give them, as Britten put it, “a head start” at securing a stable living situation. The landlord wants them out and is planning to visit them Tuesday, probably marking the end of their Christmas miracle.

They have dreams of buying their own home, of not living in the dark and cold in winter to conserve money for rent, of owning cars that don’t require the Lord’s Prayer to start.

They have regrets but don’t dwell on them.

“We are not perfect people,” Britten said. “We have made mistakes and that’s life, that’s what happens.”

And they think that in asking for help, and getting so much of it, they have given their children a present they can all share — a message that, no matter what, life is life and love is love.

“I am a proud mother of six,” she said. “I love my children. And I will take care of them, and I will get them what they need, any way I can.”

Torn wrapping paper was strewn everywhere. Outside, one of her sons squirted a toy fire extinguisher. The others were trying on new clothes, setting up their games, opening batteries for remote-control cars.

Britten took it all in.

“This year,” Britten said, “they got everything they wanted.”

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    Warms the heart
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    Fantastic. If I had a lot of money, the best part of it to me, would be doing things like this for other people.

The members of Pearl Jam exemplify generous, good-hearted people.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Love the giving this band gives forth, whether monetary or of themselves, their energy.

My husband's recent hospital stay has given us a lovely bill of near $100K.

If the fellas are willing to help out.......not like we'd argue :whistle:

(kidding - not expected, and we will find a way to get that shit paid)

As to toys for children, on a personal front, I'd rather they get whatever the hell makes them happy and feel safe.

Cheers, PJ.
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    That's really freaking cool. Bravo Mr. Vedder and all those that donated.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Well done.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,212
    edited December 2016
    And that's why Ed is the kick-ass person that he is. Beautiful story. Glad that family received some hope.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,769
    It's another PJ Christmas miracle!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,050
    very nice gesture for sure. amazing actually.
    i'd hope the family would put most of the funds towards keeping their shelter and putting food on the table rather than presents and such. hopefully things work out for the long term
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

And this is what Christmas is all about.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    EV had 2 wonderful stories on Xmas Day. So heartwarming to read yesterday.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I opened this up thinking it was a good, unPJ-related Christmas story. What a happy surprise to read that this was on the PJ board because Mr Vedder was part of the story. It was kind of him to help these people!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,850

Warms the heart

+1
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,261

Fantastic. If I had a lot of money, the best part of it to me, would be doing things like this for other people.

The members of Pearl Jam exemplify generous, good-hearted people.

This times 1000.

Thanks, Ed and the rest of the band, for continuing to set a good example for others.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Awesome gesture Ed!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Ed is a good man
  • Options
    jeffer96jeffer96 Posts: 136
    I haven't posted here in a very long time, but just wanted to say thanks for this. This matters.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Ed :bow::clap::rock_on:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,793
    Good people doing good things. That's what it's all about. Things like this are what inspire others to do little things to help improve the days/lives of others on a more routine basis.

What's extra cool, is the donation did not need to be delivered in front of cameras. It was the grateful woman who didn't know who he was trying to make sure others knew how impactful and gracious this man's donation is to her and her family.

To this story, I say "good on you world!" This is a win.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    We are going to need a lot more compassion like this in the world over the next 4 years. It aint coming from the government
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    PSA: Don't have 6 kids
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

After attempting to civilly reply to this condescending "PSA" (can't) and trying really hard to not be a dick in kind...

Actually, no. I'll say it. Don't be a dick, and don't judge.

So easy to tell others not to.

If I read you wrong - apologies. But your comment? Seems pretty clear and pretty cruel.

This, from one who has chosen to not have children, and also not tell others what to do with their bodies.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,445
    Smellyman said:

Ah... way to find something negative in this story. You must be a blast to hang out with at parties.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    edited December 2016
    RobbyD462 said:

It's another PJ Christmas miracle!

Kudos to Eddie! :clap::bow: It reminded me a lot of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    hedonist said:

Smellyman said:

After attempting to civilly reply to this condescending "PSA" (can't) and trying really hard to not be a dick in kind...

Actually, no. I'll say it. Don't be a dick, and don't judge.

So easy to tell others not to.

If I read you wrong - apologies. But your comment? Seems pretty clear and pretty cruel.

This, from one who has chosen to not have children, and also not tell others what to do with their bodies.
    irony

and it is a good time for a PSA, use protection, have a plan, etc. Good for Ed in doing this and good luck to her and the kids

May others learn, including her kids to be responsible and take care of themselves
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Smellyman said:

There s always one person to find the negative in a great story. Way to be that guy.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Smellyman said:

There s always one person to find the negative in a great story. Way to be that guy.
    \m/
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited December 2016
    Um, ignore the troll people. They thrive on attention.

Don't make this an asshole thread. Keep it a good one.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

Um, ignore the troll people. They thrive on attention.

Don't make this an asshole thread. Keep it a good one.

It is a good one. Sometimes, to focus on the positive, gotta call out the negative ;)