Options

Former President Barack Hussein Obama

124»

Comments

• Options

benjs said:

rgambs said:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/03/obamas-last-money-shower-for-un-some-9-2-billion.html

EXCLUSIVE: In its last year in office, the Obama Administration showered at least some $9.2 billion on the United Nations and its sprawling array of organizations, according to a document recently posted on the State Department website.

The total is gleaned from a document that summarizes U.S. government spending for international organizations, and is about 20 per cent higher than the $7.7 billion figure given out by State for 2010, before the Obama Administration abruptly quit providing any overall tally for its U.N. support

C-YA Obama !

Less than half the cost of the boondoggle wall you want built.

In case you didn't know, ladders aren't very expensive and you can even build one yourself!
    I'll keep that in mind when I decide to illegally cross the border to Mexico via the " Great Southern Wall "
    thank you.

Please do. Then when you get back, don't forget to pick up your broom which costs you 20% more because of either an import tax or higher costing American labour, before you go to your janitorial or food services job you always dreamed of before the illegal Mexicans stole it from you. Enjoy the fact that even with your minimum wage earned, it's costing your employers more than they had budgeted for, and as a result they need you to do the work of 3.2 Mexicans and can't hire any support for you (in addition to the fact that even hiring you was a stretch and your future with the company is uncertain).

Morally, I'm okay with this (and immigration is a privilege, not a right - for better or for worse), but the idea that removing undocumented immigrants within America will be a net positive for the American economy is not a given. Product costs will inevitably rise in the isolationist America which Trump is trying to make, and people struggle to afford what's available even today. The fact that some will be able to take jobs had by undocumented immigrants yesterday is unlikely to change that fact significantly. Not to mention that low wage earners spend most of their money on survival and spend it frugally and efficiently.
    Illegal immigration is problem that creates some of these financial set backs your talking about, think about it from start to finish and think about the const. trade..wages have been destroyed because of illegals coming her to work (I know this as fact) and const. trade is not all that has been affected this way, food service, janitorial jobs and others because these people come here and are willing to work for much less money, it's a problem they have brought upon themselves coming here illegally in the first place and YES if paying 20% more for a broom to rid this country of illegal immigrants then I'm all for it..

fact: small businesses will go bankrupt if they have to go from paying $15 per day to $15 per hour. illegals are NOT stealing jobs that americans want anyway. they are taking the jobs that uppity americans refuse to fill in the first place.

all these people that voted for trump because they think he is going to help joe sixpack in middle management at the steel mill are going to realize he is actually going to send many of them to the poorhouse when the steel mill can't afford to operate anymore because of an exponential rise in labour costs.

unless trump has some plan to slowly integrate these increased wages in stages over several years, it is going to be a catastrophic failure. which I'm guessing he does not, and that it will be.
    dude I can honestly say you have no idea what you're talking about, this was a problem way before Trump won the election
    and you living in Canada only know what your liberal friends and forum boards tell you, I'm telling you the, the illegals come over here and work for half of what Americans can afford to work for and STEAL JOBS...that's how it's done ! if you think that's wrong you're living in a fantasy world, I wokrd the const. trades since the mid 70's and watched how the illegals fucked up good paying jobs and ANYBODY who believes different is lying to themselves and anybody who will listen to their bullshit.

Correction: it's not stealing when it's given to you. Businesses are hiring illegals. Maybe focus your energy on consequences for the white people already here.
    you mean for the " white people" who hire them ? in my opinion it should be a prison sentence, but white people are not the only ones who hire them..Mexican's here legally are just as guilty in fact try getting a job in Ca. from a Mexican owned business in the const. trades is really hard to do if you're white in most cases or you accept a wage you know you can't live on.
    believe me I grew up in the trades and know how it works and watched how illegal immigration ruined a good paying trade, if you cut the supply of illegal cheap labor things will slowly start coming around again.

saying white people are to blame is only a small part of why our jobs and income have taken such a financial hit, when you're home is infested with rats do you burn down the house or get rid of the rats ?

Well, GF, you'll be comforted and relieved to know that Trump's Labor Secretary nominee feels your pain and takes your concerns seriously.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/andrew-puzder-labor-department-trump-undocumented-worker/index.html

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

CNN......really ? and he should be fired.
    It's cute. You belittle CNN immediately after using Fox News as a source in the preceding post. I think that sums up the Godfather Way pretty well. I fucking miss MeanMrMustard
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835

benjs said:

rgambs said:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/03/obamas-last-money-shower-for-un-some-9-2-billion.html

EXCLUSIVE: In its last year in office, the Obama Administration showered at least some $9.2 billion on the United Nations and its sprawling array of organizations, according to a document recently posted on the State Department website.

The total is gleaned from a document that summarizes U.S. government spending for international organizations, and is about 20 per cent higher than the $7.7 billion figure given out by State for 2010, before the Obama Administration abruptly quit providing any overall tally for its U.N. support

C-YA Obama !

In case you didn't know, ladders aren't very expensive and you can even build one yourself!
    I'll keep that in mind when I decide to illegally cross the border to Mexico via the " Great Southern Wall "
    thank you.

Please do. Then when you get back, don't forget to pick up your broom which costs you 20% more because of either an import tax or higher costing American labour, before you go to your janitorial or food services job you always dreamed of before the illegal Mexicans stole it from you. Enjoy the fact that even with your minimum wage earned, it's costing your employers more than they had budgeted for, and as a result they need you to do the work of 3.2 Mexicans and can't hire any support for you (in addition to the fact that even hiring you was a stretch and your future with the company is uncertain).

Morally, I'm okay with this (and immigration is a privilege, not a right - for better or for worse), but the idea that removing undocumented immigrants within America will be a net positive for the American economy is not a given. Product costs will inevitably rise in the isolationist America which Trump is trying to make, and people struggle to afford what's available even today. The fact that some will be able to take jobs had by undocumented immigrants yesterday is unlikely to change that fact significantly. Not to mention that low wage earners spend most of their money on survival and spend it frugally and efficiently.
    Illegal immigration is problem that creates some of these financial set backs your talking about, think about it from start to finish and think about the const. trade..wages have been destroyed because of illegals coming her to work (I know this as fact) and const. trade is not all that has been affected this way, food service, janitorial jobs and others because these people come here and are willing to work for much less money, it's a problem they have brought upon themselves coming here illegally in the first place and YES if paying 20% more for a broom to rid this country of illegal immigrants then I'm all for it..

fact: small businesses will go bankrupt if they have to go from paying $15 per day to $15 per hour. illegals are NOT stealing jobs that americans want anyway. they are taking the jobs that uppity americans refuse to fill in the first place.

all these people that voted for trump because they think he is going to help joe sixpack in middle management at the steel mill are going to realize he is actually going to send many of them to the poorhouse when the steel mill can't afford to operate anymore because of an exponential rise in labour costs.

unless trump has some plan to slowly integrate these increased wages in stages over several years, it is going to be a catastrophic failure. which I'm guessing he does not, and that it will be.
    dude I can honestly say you have no idea what you're talking about, this was a problem way before Trump won the election
    and you living in Canada only know what your liberal friends and forum boards tell you, I'm telling you the, the illegals come over here and work for half of what Americans can afford to work for and STEAL JOBS...that's how it's done ! if you think that's wrong you're living in a fantasy world, I wokrd the const. trades since the mid 70's and watched how the illegals fucked up good paying jobs and ANYBODY who believes different is lying to themselves and anybody who will listen to their bullshit.

Correction: it's not stealing when it's given to you. Businesses are hiring illegals. Maybe focus your energy on consequences for the white people already here.
    you mean for the " white people" who hire them ? in my opinion it should be a prison sentence, but white people are not the only ones who hire them..Mexican's here legally are just as guilty in fact try getting a job in Ca. from a Mexican owned business in the const. trades is really hard to do if you're white in most cases or you accept a wage you know you can't live on.
    believe me I grew up in the trades and know how it works and watched how illegal immigration ruined a good paying trade, if you cut the supply of illegal cheap labor things will slowly start coming around again.

saying white people are to blame is only a small part of why our jobs and income have taken such a financial hit, when you're home is infested with rats do you burn down the house or get rid of the rats ?

Well, GF, you'll be comforted and relieved to know that Trump's Labor Secretary nominee feels your pain and takes your concerns seriously.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/andrew-puzder-labor-department-trump-undocumented-worker/index.html

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

CNN......really ? and he should be fired.
    so you've bought the "fake news" BS hook, line, and sinker, have you?

he should be fired? I actually think the only thing this guy did wrong was not properly vet one of his employees. once he found out he was illegal, he fired him and paid all back taxes. maybe you think he should be fired because it also mentoins he tried to help the guy gain legal status? is that it?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    edited February 2017
    for or against ? what are you implying ? are you using the old stand by "Godfather. is a racist" ? that seems to be a popular phrase
    around here and honestly I find it hysterical ! in fact sometimes I laugh so hard I nearly cry......tears of joy knowing I have such diverse and loving forum to escape to. by all means please have a blessed and wonderful day ! maybe take your significant other for a stroll through town and gaze at the rainbow of lights as they shine.
    Post edited by Godfather. on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940

benjs said:

rgambs said:

C-YA Obama !

thank you.

I think it's important to think about three things: impact on employers, impact on employees, and impact on consumers, and to remember that the restricted border is a package deal with 20% greater cost of Mexican goods coming to America, since the latter funds the former.

To an employer, restricted borders mean higher costs of business. Mexican-sourced product (and there's a lot of it - in 2015 Mexico was the 3rd largest supplier of imported goods) are immediately 20% higher, enforced minimum wages (which are rising on average at state levels to support an already-rising cost of living) will raise the average cost per low-level labour, meaning a budget will support fewer American jobs (at higher cost per job) than were given to Mexicans.

For those new American employees, this means an increase of jobs available for them (since the positions were formerly filled by others), but those jobs Americans will be doing will be the sum of what multiple undocumented immigrants formerly did. High productivity expectations will be placed on these Americans compared to the Mexicans who came before them (and were paid less but still were expected to be highly productive) to account for that salary cost increasing. These people will need to work obscenely hard for nominal compensation. These people's spending habits will still tend to the 'needs' rather than the 'wants' of life, meaning low-cost product. Those low-cost product which were sourced from Mexico will likely have to be procured from America at a greater expense to these working-class folks. Best case scenario is that the salary increase is proportional to the increase in cost of living (and don't forget the largest variable costs for a working-class person are housing and food - where food will certainly increase in cost substantially with the omission of Mexican product).

For non-working-class Americans, with the exception of direct competitors of Mexican organizations, this can only be a new burden. The broom is one example: think about what in your day-to-day involves Mexican products/components. If you use/buy/consume vehicles, machinery, fuels, medical instruments, vegetables, fruits, wine and beer, snack foods, and processed fruits and vegetables, in addition to your new wages you must pay, you can also expect these products to go up in price. If these increases were because of Americans producing them instead, upper management in corporations who can afford to make the above are more than likely to pocket the same amount of money (i.e. with decreased profit margins from increased salaries, they will ensure their compensation does not go down, the working-class still make minimal salaries, the CEO types still make obscenely large salaries, the disparity remains the same).

For American exporters, this could spell trouble too. One has to guess that Mexico will reciprocate with a levee of their own, but Mexico's market cannot sustain additional cost, and would have to largely produce in Mexico for what they formerly procured from America to counter the increases. This means the well of Mexican buyers of American products would dry up - forcing America to largely sacrifice their second largest goods export market. Anyone involved in producing machinery, vehicles, plastics, corn, soybeans, dairy products, pork products, beef products is likely to be affected by a decrease in sales via a decrease in non-domestic sales. With decreased sales and increased labour costs, this will put a squeeze on these manufacturers/producers' ability to staff properly, which should lead to a further raise in productivity expectations with no additional compensation (since the margin's being hurt more).

To me, this is the most probable outcome of this relationship. It truly does not benefit anyone, although as I said above - I am morally okay with it, as a person should not be allowed to exploit an undocumented immigrant and circumvent wage laws set up specifically to ensure fair treatment of employees.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

for or against ? what are you implying ? are you using the old stand by "Godfather. is a racist" ? that seems to be a popular phrase
    around here and honestly I find it hysterical ! in fact sometimes I laugh so hard I nearly cry......tears of joy knowing I have such diverse and loving forum to escape to. by all means please have a blessed and wonderful day ! maybe take your significant other for a stroll through town and gaze at the rainbow of lights as they shine.

I thought I was pretty clear. I don't think he should be fired for having an illegal as an employee. as far as everyone is concerned, he legitimately did not know and took the proper steps after he found out, and here's the key: he didn't just "do the right thing" because he was found out. he did it without anyone having any knowledge of it at the time.

why do you think he should be fired?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I thought I was pretty clear. I don't think he should be fired for having an illegal as an employee. as far as everyone is concerned, he legitimately did not know and took the proper steps after he found out, and here's the key: he didn't just "do the right thing" because he was found out. he did it without anyone having any knowledge of it at the time.

Because it's the employers responsibility to verify employment eligibility prior to hiring and cutting that first check. His actions show a wanton disregard for the law and at the least, a lack of knowledge about a law enforced by the agency he is going to head up. But it's what people with vast sums of money do, ignore the law. So much for ethics in DC.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Because it's the employers responsibility to verify employment eligibility prior to hiring and cutting that first check. His actions show a wanton disregard for the law and at the least, a lack of knowledge about a law enforced by the agency he is going to head up. But it's what people with vast sums of money do, ignore the law. So much for ethics in DC.
    I know that. But mistakes occur, and it's not like this guy paid his back taxes only because he was found out. he did it because it was the right thing to do.

if my HR department hires someone after doing their background checks, but that employee was somehow able to forge their background documents, they found out about it and fired the guy, do think someone in my HR department should get fired?

Do we know for sure that this guy deliberately did not do his due dilligence, or "ignored the law" as you stated, or was the employee just able to slip through undetected for some reason? He very well may have, but the artcle that I read states no such facts. I'm not going to condemn the guy because we disagree ideologically or because I believe he "took american jobs". From what I've seen, we don't know that he did.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com