Options

Rats Ate My Engine, Part III

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
Call me an idiot! After it happened once, you'd think I'd find away. But after three times? Just dumb! Rat nest and chewed cabin filter and wires... AGAIN!

It's fall and these fellas want a warm place to nest. If you live where rodents are around (like almost everywhere, haha) a good preventative for when the weather turns cool is to leave the hood up with a light on nearby. Do you think I remembered this year?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

Call me an idiot! After it happened once, you'd think I'd find away. But after three times? Just dumb! Rat nest and chewed cabin filter and wires... AGAIN!

It's fall and these fellas want a warm place to nest. If you live where rodents are around (like almost everywhere, haha) a good preventative for when the weather turns cool is to leave the hood up with a light on nearby. Do you think I remembered this year?

You need a big badass cat.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

You need a big badass cat.
    That's Annie in my avatar. She's quick as lightning and would love to take on the job but we have too many predators here in the foothills and I can't risk losing her to save my car.

Rats 1
    Car -3
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Rats ate my engine part IV and V combined: 

I've done everything except the bad-ass cat (because that would mean many a dead bird and reptile and I just can't do that).  Tried every deterrent from lights, sound emitters, cayenne paper, scented dryer sheets.  Then, sadly, moved on to rat bait and traps, all to no effect.  I took the car in and had two nest removed, one from the engine and one from under the back seat in the cooling system for the big battery hybrid power source.  $425 buckaroos, bye bye.  I got a mile from the shop and all the warning light went back on.  They're going to try to find the culprit again tomorrow. 

Rats, rats, and double rats.  They're costing me big time and making me CRAZY! 

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
    edited June 2017
    Rat skirt?

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-37094826

Predator urine?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3360300/rats-are-chewing-up-drivers-eco-friendly-car-wires-and-leaving-massive-bills/

Sorry that you're having such troubles.  Have you tried peanut butter in the rat traps?
    Post edited by Fifthelement on
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Rat skirt?

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-37094826

Predator urine?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3360300/rats-are-chewing-up-drivers-eco-friendly-car-wires-and-leaving-massive-bills/

Sorry that you're having such troubles.  Have you tried peanut butter in the rat traps?
    Thank you, Fifth. 

The skirt idea looks worth looking into!

Yeah, I've tried peanut butter and whole peanuts.  Over the years (this has been going on a long time!) the few I've caught have been with whole peanuts.)

My service guy told be about onw woman recently who bought a brand new Toyota 4-Runner and after only 500 miles brought it in and it had extensive rat damage to the tune of $8,000.  And then, 500 miles later, the exact thing.  Insane.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    LOL!  Oldie but goodie!

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

there are few animals i dislike & rats are one of them. they're filthy & fucking bother me. a rat's tail is a fricking mess & bothers me. their eyes are total bullshit & those god damn whiskers.... bastards

time for war, brian, it's time for war

get on the youtube if you like & check out rat terriers & weasels with great enthusiasm go after those disease having little shits.

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

there are few animals i dislike & rats are one of them. they're filthy & fucking bother me. a rat's tail is a fricking mess & bothers me. their eyes are total bullshit & those god damn whiskers.... bastards

time for war, brian, it's time for war

get on the youtube if you like & check out rat terriers & weasels with great enthusiasm go after those disease having little shits.

Yes, Chadwick, wild rats are evil little fuckers!  (Tame ones are OK, but not my cup of tea.) I wild rats in the little cottage I live in back in Western New York.  One time I walked into the kitchen in broad daylight and a rat was in there and turned and gave me this nasty look that said, "Get out of my kitchen, I'm gnawing on shit!"  And not long ago I open my car hood to put the dryer sheets in (which no longer seem to bother them) and a rat was sitting right there on top of the engine and looked right at me like it was saying, "Fuck off and close that hood, I'm busy here!" 

AHHHH! 

Annie the cat will not allow dogs in the house (she is House Goddess), but weasels!  Hadn't thought of that.  Will look into it, thanks! 

• Options
    mmm, I'm finding as many links for getting rid of weasels as for getting rid of rats.  Apparently they are problematic as well.  :-(

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    folks are brought in that have their terriers & weasels (im sure it's not free) & those dogs & weasels just get after it. in your area, your town, there must be rats den after rats den. there is no stopping them unless they are taken out of commission. five or six terriers & maybe a weasel or two can put a hurtin on a rat population    
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    I can confirm my west highland white terrier was a keen ratter. Were she still among the living, and in your neck of the woods, she would have been more than happy to take care of your little problem.

Time to look into Rent a Ratter.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I can confirm my west highland white terrier was a keen ratter. Were she still among the living, and in your neck of the woods, she would have been more than happy to take care of your little problem.

Time to look into Rent a Ratter.
    Rent a Ratter, lol!  Unfortunately, a dog is not an option for us.

I'm re-thinking the barn cat idea.  A friend say she has lots of cats come through her yard yet never-the-less they have lots of birds and lizards and such.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Rats Ate My Engine sounds like it could be a blues song. I expect a YouTube video of it at some point Mr. Lux. 
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,919
    brianlux said:
    mmm, I'm finding as many links for getting rid of weasels as for getting rid of rats.  Apparently they are problematic as well.  :-(
    The lesson of the Kiwi bird.  Settlers brought rabbits to NZ.  Rabbits did what rabbits do  ;). Stoats, members of the weasel family, were brought in to hunt the rabbits.  Stoats found that flightless birds were easier prey the wily rabbits.  Kiwi bird population decimated to near extinction :(. Moral of the story, never trust a weasel.  Good luck
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Rats Ate My Engine sounds like it could be a blues song. I expect a YouTube video of it at some point Mr. Lux. 
    Haha!  I love it!  I'll have to work on that one.  And if not a blues number, maybe a Stephen King-like horror story!