Options

Pearl Jam related things to do in Seattle?

Hey, i'm visiting Seattle for the first time from Scotland on the 24th/25th September and am wondering if there's any Pearl Jam related stuff I can do while i'm there.

I've pretty much got the Saturday night and all day Sunday to myself, so have booked the Hotel Max as I loved the Sub Pop Floor with the photography on the doors. I've booked the Stalking Seattle tour for the Sunday morning and the EMP Museum for the Sunday afternoon, but was wondering if there's anything else I should be squeezing into my trip that you can recommend?

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,849
    Some of these places below. :)

• Options
    Wow, thanks for that. Really cool video.
  • Options
    courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    Nothing really anymore...
  • Options
    Fire a drummer?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    You can show up and get upset about how tame the crowd is during Betterman, then not come back again for 4 to 7 years and just plan your next vacations around the East coast and South America.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Visited Seattle in July and loved it! The EMP museum was incredible. We spent hours there. You'll love it. The video above covers some of the bars (some were destroyed by an earthquake and no longer there. Boo). Another lovely thing to do that sort of covers Seattle scenery and Pearl Jam's originis is to walk down to the ferry/water taxi piers and take the water taxi to West Seattle. There are free shuttle buses that take you to either Alki beach, or Seattle Junction. The Seattle Junction shuttle basically drops you off right by Easy Street records. I think that's a must for anyone who is a fan of PJ, Soungarden, Mother Love Bone, Melvins, Mudhoney...etc etc... and the cafe is awesome. Check out the menu online! FYI the cafe closes early on weekends so best to get there before late afternoon - basically for brunch. Loved it! You also get a gorgeous view of Seattle skyline from the water.
    http://easystreetonline.com/
    cafe:
    http://easystreetonline.com/Cafe
    getting there (the C line rapid ride bus goes from downtown also if you want to do that vs the water taxi):
    http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/watertaxi/
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited September 2016
    I still think this post on the old Five Horizons site (even though it's 15 years old) is a good jumping off point to PJ related Seattle. Discovery Park is cool. The Sound Garden is also cool. Stopping by where the Off Ramp is located (now renamed) still feels special. The Singles apartment is funny to drive by. Mural Amphitheater near the Space Needle. And a trip to Easy Street in West Seattle is a must. I recommend breakfast at the Easy Street Cafe.

fivehorizons.com/feature/seattle/
    Post edited by PJ212 on
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    just walk around pike place all baked on legal...what can be better than that? eddies done it. so has boom
  • Options
    VikkivaleVikkivale Los Angeles, CA Posts: 224
    I visited Seattle for the first time a few years ago and took that Stalking Seattle tour. It was awesome! Good call! I also went to Discovery Park & Lighthouse to see where TOTD filmed Hunger Strike. I didn't research that enough before getting there and parked at the absolute furthest lot which made for a very long walk. Beautiful scenery though.
  • Options
    Also visit London Bridge Studio. Had a fantastic time there back in 2013. :)

I haven't done the Stalking Seattle tour. Might this November.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Puget Sound ferries are great. If you have an extra day, take a day trip by ferry to Port Townsend- a little town I often refer to as the "mini San Francisco of Washington State".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166

just walk around pike place all baked on legal...what can be better than that? eddies done it. so has boom

There's a place in Pike Place that has insanely good breakfast... mmmm...
  • Options
    i have no idea where stalking Seattle takes you, but if they don't go to Kerry park take an uber there before heading to EMP. Kerry park is the best view of Seattle and loads of bands have done photo shoots there. When you are done, it's an easy walk (downhill) to EMP. On the way though, it's time to stop and eat a staple of Northwest fast food awesomeness, Dicks Drive in is on the left as your coming down Queen Anne from the park. Its just fast food burgers, but it's a local favorite.

From Dicks we are almost at EMP, but if stalking Seattle didn't take you by the Mercer Arena or Mural Amphitheater, you can see where PJ played in 91 and 93, also there is the Key Arena and Memorial Stadium. So now you've seen the best view of Seattle, eaten a local favorite and scene where the bulk of Pearl Jams shows in the city happened.

• Options
    Brotherjohnno9Brotherjohnno9 Posts: 463
    edited September 2016
    The Moore Theatre is a short walk from Pike Place as is Benaroya Hall. Take a ferry trip from Seattle to Bainbridge Island, much cheaper than the organised boat trips and you probably see more. Can't recommend the EMP highly enough and if you have any interest in science fiction there's a great museum that part of the same place.
    Manchester 17.8.09, Manchester 21.6.12, Copenhagen 10.7.12, Manchester 28.7.12 (EV), Phoenix 19.11.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Vienna 25.6.14, Leeds 8.7.14, London 6.6.17 (EV), London 18.6.18, Krakow 3.7.18, London 17.7.18, Dublin 3.7.19 (EV)
  • Options
    Some brilliant suggestion in there that I hadn't thought of so will look into them further to see what I can fit in. Cheers.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    One block up from Pike's my man is Lola's. They have the best breakfast I ever had and I've been around the world.
    http://www.opentable.com/lola-seattle
    Zod said:

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    rssesq said:

One block up from Pike's my man is Lola's. They have the best breakfast I ever had and I've been around the world.

Zod said:

Rated second best Eggs Bennedict in the USA;)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    get a side of that bacon with the bennies. It is almost a sin. lol
    RobbyD462 said:

rssesq said:

Zod said:

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    rssesq said:

get a side of that bacon with the bennies. It is almost a sin. lol

RobbyD462 said:

rssesq said:

Zod said:

First day I got the ham second day
    I substituted ham for bacon wow!
    Lola is the tits!

Get the Johnny Cash at Easy Street
    Steak and eggs,great way to start any day!
    You can shop for records while you wait and they will call your name on the intercom.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    RobbyD462 said:

rssesq said:

Zod said:

Will try them out soon. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    Had a great time in Seattle. Many thanks for all the suggestions.

I flew in on the Saturday and headed to the Hotel Max where I was staying for that night. Managed to get a room on the 5th (Sub Pop) floor and had a Kurt Cobain room door. Wanted a PJ one but was happy just to be on that floor. The room was cool, I had a record player and a selection of Sub Pop lp's including Band of Horses, Nirvana and Mogwai.

The Hotel Max is great, we headed down to the lobby just as the free craft beer happy hour began. It was supposed to be a "have a drink on us" but being scotsmen, we went through 3 pints before we headed out. We went out for food at the Hard Rock Cafe and it was cool to see all the memorabilia from the Seattle bands. It's great to see a HRC where that stuff is related to the city rather than it being quite random.

The next morning I headed away to do the Stalking Seattle tour. As others have said it's fantastic. One of the best tours i've done. Charity is such a good host and has great knowledge of the Seattle scene and people involved. The tour went point to point with great stories and related songs in between.

I got dropped at the EMP and headed in for the afternoon. The Nirvana exhibit was superb. They have a huge array of items collected from the whole lifespan of the band. Definitely one to go and see. The rest of the museum is great, there were exhibits on the history of the guitar, one on Jimi Hendrix and a featured Star Trek exhibit which was worth seeing.

I was working on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but on Thursday before my flight home I had time to visit Pike Place Market and hang out there for a while. There's such a nice vibe about the city, it's definitely a place i'd love to return to.

Bonus for me was the "Push Me Pull Me" exhibit at Seattle Airport and the Sub Pop store. I managed to pick myself up a copy of the Pearl Jam vs Ames Bros poster book which i've not been able to get a hold of in the UK, so was delighted to see it in the store. There were some great items in there, I could have spent a fortune!
  • Options
    no legal weed stories? wow...
  • Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    thanks for this thread! I just booked Stalking Seattle and brunch at Lola. I had already planned to go to Pike Place, EMP and hit up a few record stores. Will be watching this thread for more ideas or posting if I have any questions :)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166

one tends not to post those on public message boards.... but it's surreal how quickly the industry has developed in Washington state. I was quite impressed when I was there in August to see GNR. How the hell did Washington State legalize it before British Columbia? lol.
  • Options

thanks for this thread! I just booked Stalking Seattle and brunch at Lola. I had already planned to go to Pike Place, EMP and hit up a few record stores. Will be watching this thread for more ideas or posting if I have any questions :)

You must of taken the last ticket on the 21st of Nov over @ http://stalkingseattle.rezgo.com/details/46995/rock-roll-tour ? My ride is on the 18th (or was it the 19th). Can't wait! EMP & Pike Place is fantastic! Went there back in '13. Will be going back again. My hotel is pretty much close to the EMP this November.

Great to hear you had a great time @FiveAgainstOne06 :)
  • Options
    Zod said:

one tends not to post those on public message boards.... but it's surreal how quickly the industry has developed in Washington state. I was quite impressed when I was there in August to see GNR. How the hell did Washington State legalize it before British Columbia? lol.
    the paranoia has got to stop!! lol
    i remember the feeling of being legal, when i first went to holland in the mid 1980's. i will never forget that. EVER.
    denver 2014 was a gift
    telluride 2016 was a bigger gift
    the gorge 2017 is a must imo
    wait till the BIG wave starts when the fall us elections are over!
    then wait for canada to go fully legal. the whole country in the spring of 2017 !!
    it's a good time to be alive to see things done right, FINALLY
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

Zod said:

the paranoia has got to stop!! lol
    i remember the feeling of being legal, when i first went to holland in the mid 1980's. i will never forget that. EVER.
    denver 2014 was a gift
    telluride 2016 was a bigger gift
    the gorge 2017 is a must imo
    wait till the BIG wave starts when the fall us elections are over!
    then wait for canada to go fully legal. the whole country in the spring of 2017 !!
    it's a good time to be alive to see things done right, FINALLY
    paranoia holds a key to clever thinking , tactical thinking,technical thinking keeps you on guard and makes you wise and
    also protects you and also drives you crazy lol but mainly is a great learning tool above the rest.....!!!
  • Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    My first suggestion is not PJ related. Visited in March to see RNDM and had breakfast at Biscuit Bitch at 1909 1 Ave. Very unique, we had to try twice before we ate there. My second suggestion is PJ related - Queen City Grill. According to something I read, after Andy Wood died, this is where Stone and Jeff met to work out their differences and agree to form one more band.

Wish I had tickets! Have fun everyone!
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

paranoia holds a key to clever thinking , tactical thinking,technical thinking keeps you on guard and makes you wise and
    also protects you and also drives you crazy lol but mainly is a great learning tool above the rest.....!!!

i can't deny that being paranoid all those years def kept me one step ahead of the man because i had to be smart to beat him at the stupid game. but life without the paranoia is sooo much better, that is the bottom-line for me....which i why i love when PJ tour cannabis friendly destinations ;)
  • Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 386
    The poster exhibit is near gate A1 at SeaTac.