Options

Tragically Hip Aug 20

124»

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I watched/listened to the Kingston show in the Adirondack mountains with friends.

To be honest, some of my friends who had never heard the Hip before did not like it at all. Said a lot of songs sounded very similar, and did not like Gord's voice.

I think The Hip is more of an acquired taste and is better if it was indoctrinated over time through radio play and such
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I watched/listened to the Kingston show in the Adirondack mountains with friends.

To be honest, some of my friends who had never heard the Hip before did not like it at all. Said a lot of songs sounded very similar, and did not like Gord's voice.

I think The Hip is more of an acquired taste and is better if it was indoctrinated over time through radio play and such

It's very fair.

They are definitely an acquired taste, but so is almost everything great. Red wine was the last thing I ever wanted to drink, but after several efforts... I began to like it. Now, it is my drink of choice (it really complements my level of sophistication lol!).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    I am so thankful that I walked into a new restaurant / bar in Huntsville Ontario in 1992. My 1st wife and I were the only patrons and the owner asked what we wanted to hear. I said that being we were from Detroit to play a Canadian band. He put on a cd and when it was over I asked "what was that"? The reply - The Tragically Hip, Road Apples. I was sold. 30 shows and every cd. HIP HIP HIP
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    pearljim said:

I am so thankful that I walked into a new restaurant / bar in Huntsville Ontario in 1992. My 1st wife and I were the only patrons and the owner asked what we wanted to hear. I said that being we were from Detroit to play a Canadian band. He put on a cd and when it was over I asked "what was that"? The reply - The Tragically Hip, Road Apples. I was sold. 30 shows and every cd. HIP HIP HIP

This is awesome!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    anyone who wants to see this band at the start of their career check out the tragically hip live at the misty moon 1990 on you tube. and later on an incredible performance at woodstock 1999. you'll get a much better idea of what gords voice used to be like. 2 classic performances. it was amazing he could muster up the courage and energy to even go out on the road with so little time left.