Tragically Hip Aug 20

pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
I do not ask for much but if the greatest American Band could do a little shout out to the Greatest Canadian band on Aug 20th - well it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.

Comments

• Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    pearljim said:

I do not ask for much but if the greatest American Band could do a little shout out to the Greatest Canadian band on Aug 20th - well it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dude, this TH stuff is getting real played out on here. I sure as hell don't want to go see PJ and hear anything to do with the tragically hip. Judging by the responses you've gotten, or lack there of, no one else does either. If you really want to see one of their songs, maybe you should have gotten tickets to their show.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Gtilley8 said:

pearljim said:

Thank you

Dude, this TH stuff is getting real played out on here. I sure as hell don't want to go see PJ and hear anything to do with the tragically hip. Judging by the responses you've gotten, or lack there of, no one else does either. If you really want to see one of their songs, maybe you should have gotten tickets to their show.
    Been to two shows thanks.

Sorry to offend you. Take your meds and listen to some PJ.

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • rattzeyrattzey Posts: 875
    Hey Pearljim

Lots of love going for TTH in the Other Music forum.
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
    rattzey said:

Hey Pearljim

Lots of love going for TTH in the Other Music forum.

Thanks Rattzey :)

Roberto Clemente.
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    Gtilley8 said:

pearljim said:

Thank you

did you forget to take your meds? who pissed in your cheerios?
    LIVE and LET LIVE
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2016
    This would be really cool. Can't see it happening in a million years, but still would be amazing. :) It's Hip night all over Canada on the 20th after all. Nothing to do with PJ whatsoever, but I don't give a shit (sorry Gtilley8! ;) ) .... :lol: Hey, the Hip have a lot of fucking amazing songs - I don't see it beyond belief that PJ would cover them just because they think it's a great cover, like they do with most of their other covers. If a Hip song became a PJ cover staple, that would be sweet.
    Anyway, I know what I'll be doing on Aug 20th, and it won't be following the setlist for Wrigley! There are so many public and private viewing events for this last show. Not sure if I'm going to go to something like that, or just hang at home and enjoy.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Eh, I never said anything bad about TH. I just think it's rude as hell to jump on a band's site and request that they play songs from other bands at their show. If I came off as too brash with that, I apologize.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I dont believe Pearl Jam runs in the same circles as The Hip. I also don't believe EV's voice would translate well at all into Gord's. I don't think it would sound good at all. I try to imagine it and all I hear is disaster.

It would be cool if PJ has heard the story and about Gord's illness and resilience to do a tour.... and mentioned a few nice words/thoughts.... but as a request/demand from fans, it is kind of lame.

It is pretty likely most people in the crowd will have very little clue who The Tragically Hip is anyways.

(and this is coming from someone who attended the The Hip show last night and cried).
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Anyone know what the best way to stream Saturday night's show here in the US will be?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited August 2016
    JimmyV said:

Anyone know what the best way to stream Saturday night's show here in the US will be?

http://www.jambase.com/article/watch-listen-final-tragically-hip-concert-live-kingston

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/12179/how-to-watch-tragically-hip-concert-cbc-aug-20

In Buffalo they are having a huge showing in a park. Wish I could go, but Ill be in the mountains.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    MayDay10 said:

JimmyV said:

http://www.jambase.com/article/watch-listen-final-tragically-hip-concert-live-kingston

In Buffalo they are having a huge showing in a park. Wish I could go, but Ill be in the mountains.
    Excellent, thanks.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2016
    Gtilley8 said:

Eh, I never said anything bad about TH. I just think it's rude as hell to jump on a band's site and request that they play songs from other bands at their show. If I came off as too brash with that, I apologize.

But PJ plays a lot of covers and people request them all the time here....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Gtilley8 said:

I guess no more requests for:

Sonic Reducer
    Baba O'Riley
    RITFW
    I've Got A Feeling
    Better Things
    Devil Doll
    Love Reign
    Leavin' Here
    Fuckin' Up
    Crazy Mary
    I Believe In Miracles

shall I go on?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Gtilley8 said:

Sonic Reducer
    Baba O'Riley
    RITFW
    I've Got A Feeling
    Better Things
    Devil Doll
    Love Reign
    Leavin' Here
    Fuckin' Up
    Crazy Mary
    I Believe In Miracles

shall I go on?
    The difference there is that the band themselves started playing those, some of which have become staples. They have been co-opted, so to speak. And like MayDay said above..... There's not really a connection there. Do I know of TH? Sure, but only because I grew up listening to 89x - a Windsor/Detroit alt rock station that's been around since before the Seattle scene emerged.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Wow didn't mean to cause a shit storm hahahahaha. Look all I asked is if they could do a shout out. McCready could throw in a a few licks of New Orleans is Sinking doesn't have to be a song.

It's not like I asked for "All the Way" Just kidding Gtilley8! and congrats on the baby!

Keep on Rockin.....

Roberto Clemente.
    pearljim said:

Wow didn't mean to cause a shit storm hahahahaha. Look all I asked is if they could do a shout out. McCready could throw in a a few licks of New Orleans is Sinking doesn't have to be a song.

It's not like I asked for "All the Way" Just kidding Gtilley8! and congrats on the baby!

Keep on Rockin.....

Touché, sir! Thanks.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Hey I'm from the Detroit area too - takes a lot to get my goat!

All the best!

Roberto Clemente.
    I think it would be awesome if they did this on an upcoming canadian date. just my opinion.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    I would love to see a Hip song or a shout out. But unless any of the band mates know each other I don't see it happening.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    edited August 2016

Gtilley8 said:

Sonic Reducer
    Baba O'Riley
    RITFW
    I've Got A Feeling
    Better Things
    Devil Doll
    Love Reign
    Leavin' Here
    Fuckin' Up
    Crazy Mary
    I Believe In Miracles

shall I go on?
    The difference is Ed's voice translates well to those songs and those songs are all by their idols or with other covers they run in the same circle. PJ and the hip don't run in the same circle and nor will they ever. If PJ haven't covered a hip song in the years they've been touring Canadian, they won't do it now. Maybe Ed will say a get well to Gord. Oh and speaking of covers, did you see the video of the band covering Aerosmith at fenway and how little of a reaction the crowd gave?
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I guess the saying "never hurts to ask" does not apply here. Holy Fuck.
  • Also, I am strongly of the opinion that Eddie Vedder could sing a cover song from any group. This is not because his voice translates to any given song but because he somehow has the unique ability to make the song his own. In my mind it's not a cover song, it's Eddie Vedder's version of a song.
  • Went to all 3 Toronto Hip shows and tonight in The Hammer. It's been an amazing run and they sound better than ever live. Very emotional as well.
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    i'm betting that there are at least a few members of PJ that have heard of the tragically hip. ed being one of them. boom i'm not so sure about ;)
    as we know...PJ has TONS of canadian fans here in canada(coast to coast) and more than a handful of those canadains will be at wrigley this weekend, not able to see nation wide broadcast on saturday night of the tragically hip's kingston show
    while it would sure be cool if ed mentioned gord/band(at least). and i also don't expect a cover song, but the fact that both bands are playing BIG SHOWS on august 20th....and it just happens to be the last show(possibly ever) by the tragically hip well um here we are.
    we are the same.
    it's a really big deal here in canada for all rock/live music fans.
    BlakAdder said:

Also, I am strongly of the opinion that Eddie Vedder could sing a cover song from any group. This is not because his voice translates to any given song but because he somehow has the unique ability to make the song his own. In my mind it's not a cover song, it's Eddie Vedder's version of a song.

I also think that Ed's voice would transfer well to the Hip. depending on the song.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

BlakAdder said:

I guess the saying "never hurts to ask" does not apply here. Holy Fuck.

you rude bastard!! :rock_on:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    edited August 2016
    BlakAdder said:

It doesn't hurt to ask, but he's asking a world wide known band to cover a song by a band who isn't well known outside of Canada. Last year I saw the hip on their Fully Completely tour at the Beacon Theater in NYC which only holds around 3,000 people. Later on that tour, they were playing to arena's in Canada.

i'm betting that there are at least a few members of PJ that have heard of the tragically hip. ed being one of them. boom i'm not so sure about ;)
    as we know...PJ haGord NS of canadian fans here in canada(coast to coast) and more than a handful of those canadains will be at wrigley this weekend, not able to see nation wide broadcast on saturday night of the tragically hip's kingston show
    while it would sure be cool if ed mentioned gord/band(at least). and i also don't expect a cover song, but the fact that both bands are playing BIG SHOWS on august 20th....and it just happens to be the last show(possibly ever) by the tragically hip well um here we are.
    we are the same.

But see that last sentence is proof that people at Wrigley Field wouldn't really care, let alone know who the tragically hip are. They would probably take a piss break during a hip cover song. I totally get the hip are a big deal in Canada and it's very emotional time period for people in Canada, but outside of Canada people don't really care. I'm a casual hip fan and I wish they coulda did a small club NYC show one last time. My heart breaks for Gord and those close to him as I within the last few years lost an aunt to brain related problems.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

BlakAdder said:

It doesn't hurt to ask, but he's asking a world wide known band to cover a song by a band who isn't well known outside of Canada. Last year I saw the hip on their Fully Completely tour at the Beacon Theater in NYC which only holds around 3,000 people. Later on that tour, they were playing to arena's in Canada.

as we know...PJ haGord NS of canadian fans here in canada(coast to coast) and more than a handful of those canadains will be at wrigley this weekend, not able to see nation wide broadcast on saturday night of the tragically hip's kingston show
    we are the same.

But see that last sentence is proof that people at Wrigley Field wouldn't really care, let alone know who the tragically hip are. They would probably take a piss break during a hip cover song. I totally get the hip are a big deal in Canada and it's very emotional time period for people in Canada, but outside of Canada people don't really care. I'm a casual hip fan and I wish they coulda did a small club NYC show one last time. My heart breaks for Gord and those close to him as I within the last few years lost an aunt to brain related problems.
    Gary, I get it - sort of. Again I asked for a shout out / not a song but it'd be cool. I'm from Detroit so It isn't just Canada cares. How many people gave a shit that J. Mascis joined PJ on stage or Tom Hamilton. 90 percent of the people didn't know who they were until told. Just a few guitar licks by Mike would be awesome. How many times has Mike thrown in a a few licks of his fave bands?

I won't fret , no pun intended, if they don't - it'd just be cool.....

Roberto Clemente.

Gtilley8 said:

Sonic Reducer
    Baba O'Riley
    RITFW
    I've Got A Feeling
    Better Things
    Devil Doll
    Love Reign
    Leavin' Here
    Fuckin' Up
    Crazy Mary
    I Believe In Miracles

shall I go on?
    The difference is Ed's voice translates well to those songs and those songs are all by their idols or with other covers they run in the same circle. PJ and the hip don't run in the same circle and nor will they ever. If PJ haven't covered a hip song in the years they've been touring Canadian, they won't do it now. Maybe Ed will say a get well to Gord. Oh and speaking of covers, did you see the video of the band covering Aerosmith at fenway and how little of a reaction the crowd gave?
    PJ don't run in the same circle as the Guess Who either, nor does Ed have anywhere near the same voice as Burton, and they covered them in Saskatoon. Neil has played with the Hip. You're damn skippy the band know who the Hip are.

But either way, the OP was not asking for a cover song at Wrigley, just a shout out.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD