Options

StubHub canceling order after "tickets sold below market value"

mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
I bought a ticket for $88 on StubHub for MSG2 in section 202 (cheap, I know, I immediately pulled the trigger on it). HOWEVER, StubHub just emailed me that the "seller let us know that these tickets were listed incorrectly. Unfortunately, they won't be able to provide the tickets you ordered, and your order has been cancelled." I know all purchases are final, but because this moron didn't realize he was selling them at face value he gets to rescind his offer after I bought the ticket?
Milwaukee 2014
MSG 2016 1&2
Wrigley 2016 1&2
Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
London 2018 1
Wrigley 2018 1&2
St. Louis 2020

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    I would think Stubhub should give you a free replacement ticket.
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,072
    That is bull f****** s*** I would call StubHub and raise hell
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    what the hell?!
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    That is some bullshit.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    wow.. fuck that

sorry, hope you get something worked out
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

I would think Stubhub should give you a free replacement ticket.

Or at least a replacement for what he bought it for.

That's just wrong on StubHub's part.
  • Options
    I looked it up on the internet and some guy had a ticket to Kobe's last game, seller canceled it, and stubhub gave him a free ticket. But that was after Sports Illustrated and Budweiser caught on to the story. I'm pretty pissed nonetheless.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    Also, bought the ticket 2 days ago. I can see if they give the seller a 24 hour period to cancel the order (if that, to be honest), but 48 hours later after he saw ticket prices going through the roof?
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,060
    Call stubhub, don't take their first offer, which is like a 20% refund. Ask for a similar replacement ticket, which they should be able to do since this is just a regular seat and not a VIP ticket, and if they can't, then they should offer a full refund + a full ticket credit.

That has happened to me a few times, and this is their typical script.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,634
    Wow, I didn't know stubhub was THAT low. Terrible.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options

For 12.12.12 concert at MSG, I got sold a bogus ticket for $800 and Stubhub gave me a free ticket + refunded my $800. I would think with a phone call this person should be able to work something out with Stubhub.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,896
    mschostok said:

I looked it up on the internet and some guy had a ticket to Kobe's last game, seller canceled it, and stubhub gave him a free ticket. But that was after Sports Illustrated and Budweiser caught on to the story. I'm pretty pissed nonetheless.

Was just about to mention this as I went to that game (Luckily won suite tix). A lot of people tried to jump on tickets immediately that Sunday back in November when the news broke that Kobe was retiring. It really sucks for you as the buyer as they should honor the price it was available at. Unfortunately, StubHub's in it to make $$$ just like the sellers are and gets a bigger fee cut at the higher prices. Seems like they're doing this more and more with in-demand events. Definitely given them less of my business in recent years in favor of a local broker that's always giving out and promoting discount codes.
  • Options
    JamIsGoodJamIsGood Posts: 41
    I know people who work for StubHub and, from conversations with them, I know a bit about their policies. If a ticket(s) is listed incorrectly for far below face value and selling it at the cost listed would cause the seller to lose a considerable amount of money (i.e. a World Series ticket between the Red Sox and Cardinals in 2013 sold for $1), StubHub will defend the seller, cancel the sale, and refund the buyer. Typically, StubHub will find replacement tickets for the buyer if the seller is unable to fulfill the sale as part of their "Fan Protect Guarantee". If replacement tickets cannot be found within a similar price range (StubHub will replace them at a higher cost and charge the seller the difference if the seller is at fault), then StubHub will cancel the order and refund the buyer. Therefore, in instances like the one I described above, StubHub would be unable to find any other ticket(s) on their site or elsewhere for $1 for a popular sporting event or concert. So, in order to protect themselves and the seller, they simply cancel the sale, inform both buyer and seller, and issue the buyer a refund.

I can understand how this would be frustrating for the buyer if they thought they were getting a great deal. From what I understand, situations like the one described above are very rare. Keep searching OP and hopefully you'll find another ticket somewhere!
  • Options
    Also, from what I understand, StubHub will support a seller if something like this occurs in error and isn't a common occurrence with their account. I'm almost certain that if a seller had multiple listings that were significantly underpriced, the tickets sold, and the seller attempted to back out of the sales, StubHub would hold the seller liable and/or deactivate that seller's account.
  • Options
    Got a full refund, plus a $100 coupon for a ticket. Just got one in Section 225 row 11 for a really decent price. Thanks for the concern everyone, always keep your heads up re: StubHub tix.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,818
    mschostok said:

Got a full refund, plus a $100 coupon for a ticket. Just got one in Section 225 row 11 for a really decent price. Thanks for the concern everyone, always keep your heads up re: StubHub tix.

Right on!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    We all hate paying Stubhub fees, but they come through in the end at least.
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    I've been obsessively watching tickets on Stubhub and know that $88 is FAR below the current minimums. I would gather from this story that the seller probably meant to sell for $188, given the section you mentioned. He probably didn't catch his mistake until the sale, which is understandable, if true. I would totally be pissed if I were in your shoes. Then again, I would be pissed if I were in his shoes. Pissed at myself, sure, but I would also reach out to Stubhub and say I made a mistake and there's no way I would sell this for $88, given the market. Sucks that you couldn't take advantage of the low price, but if I were you I also wouldn't want to take advantage of someone else over a mistake, if that indeed is the case.

Then again, if he complained not because of a mistake but because he realized he could make more money, well then he's a dick. :)
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    That is the one good thing about StubHub. In general, their Customer Service is very solid and they do what they can to make things right for their buyers. Glad to hear that you got a full refund and a $100 credit, OP. I'll be at MSG2 myself on Monday night so maybe I'll see you there :)
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856
    mschostok said:

:clap:
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    mschostok said:

Dude...that is awesome! I've always had a great experience with Stubhub. Glad to hear it worked out for you.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,019
    Stubhub's customer service seems pretty great, and I love using them for baseball games. Have never paid anywhere close to face value for baseball tickets.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181

For 12.12.12 concert at MSG, I got sold a bogus ticket for $800 and Stubhub gave me a free ticket + refunded my $800. I would think with a phone call this person should be able to work something out with Stubhub.
    Score!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    mschostok said:

That's good news! Terrible that this kind if thing can happen. I had no idea that stubhub sellersncould pull that.... Is this what happened to everyone who discovered they weren't getting the tix they paid for when they arrived for the superbowl (i think in Arizona??)?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited April 2016
    kasedoug said:

mschostok said:

Was just about to mention this as I went to that game (Luckily won suite tix). A lot of people tried to jump on tickets immediately that Sunday back in November when the news broke that Kobe was retiring. It really sucks for you as the buyer as they should honor the price it was available at. Unfortunately, StubHub's in it to make $$$ just like the sellers are and gets a bigger fee cut at the higher prices. Seems like they're doing this more and more with in-demand events. Definitely given them less of my business in recent years in favor of a local broker that's always giving out and promoting discount codes.
    Hey, I was there too. Except I bought my tickets for $48 apiece before the season even started and they were still at regular price. Everyone told me to sell when tickets went up to $800 a pop for the furthest of the nosebleeds, but no way in hell was I going to do that. The experience ended up being more than worth every penny that I didn't make by completing that sale (about $1500), in my opinion.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    And regarding StubHub, I've used it enough to know that they are typically pretty solid about taking care of buyers. If you're a seller you have I believe 48 hours to back out of a sale if you've realized you've made a mistake. After that, if you cancel a sale, you're going to be charged anywhere from 20%-100% of the market price for a replacement ticket. So it really is pretty rare to purchase a ticket and then have it pulled. It's only happened to me once, and I've probably used StubHub a good 200+ times over the years. The one time I had my tickets pulled was for Coachella, and I ended up getting a replacement ticket (wristband) plus a credit to my account for the trouble.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    mschostok said:

As someone that uses stubhub pretty frequently im happy to hear how that played out. Have been fortunate enough to never have an issue.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Something similar happened to me for the Baltimore 13 show. Stalked for a long time. Found a nice pair in the wings for a decent price... but the guy sold them elsewhere or something.

Because they were low price for the location, and pairs were somewhat scarce at that point, stubhub defaulted me to much worse seats at that price. I emailed and they reached out via phone. Was able to get 2 singles in the same area within a few seats of one another.
  • Options
    You guys are the shit, see you all on the road!
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020