Options

Which full album would be a letdown at a show for you?

Comments

• Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    DPrival78 said:

I'd much rather not hear any album straight through. That element of surprise is one of the best parts of the experience.

Same. But if I had to pick an album I don't want to hear front to back it would definitely be LB.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    anyone says bianural or riot act need to get arrested and throw them in jail for a decade!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    the fact that this is a conversation makes me sad.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited April 2016

anyone says bianural or riot act need to get arrested and throw them in jail for a decade!!

To me they never translated well live. Mike even talks about how people stopped liking them In 2000 probably because binaural was not well recieved by the public. Then riot act to follow becomes their worst selling album.
    In 98 every show was pretty much a sell out while in 00/03 you had thousands of empty seats at shows. I mean look at the difference between the birmingham show in 98 as compared to 03.
    I also admit that I don't songs written by Matt. They are just not my cup of tea.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    I think backspacer would be great front to back

Only one I wouldnt be insanely excited to see would be Lightning bolt, but probably only because we have had such a heavy dose of those songs over the past few years.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    Even though Binaural is my least favorite album, I think I'd actually enjoy the whole thing live.

So, if I were to choose just one it would have to be Backspacer. Just too mellow of an album
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options

I'm not so sure about that.
    Just because the fans stuck it out during that phase doesn't mean we still have to now.
    Some songs were good from those albums but a lot belong on lost dogs hence the lack of play at concerts and white whales for many.
  • Options
    1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
    edited April 2016
    I'll get crucified for this, but ...

"Ten" for me. I've heard those songs live many, many times (and for good reason ... they're great tunes from an amazing album). But ... the question being, "what album would you least like to hear live?" It's "Ten" for me.

Wouldn't be thrilled with "Lightning Bolt" either (too soon)

Any album from "Vs." thru "Backspacer" would be my choice. IF I wanted to hear a full album, ... which I'm not sure I would.

*Greenville* won the lottery with "Vs. Great album and most conducive to live performance (Avocado notwithstanding)
    Post edited by 1rogeraspain2 on
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102

"Ten" for me. I've heard those songs live many, many times (and for good reason ... they're great tunes from an amazing album). But ... the question being, "what album would you least like to hear live?" It's "Ten" for me.

Wouldn't be thrilled with "Lightning Bolt" either (too soon)

Any album from "Vs." thru "Backspacer" would be my choice. IF I wanted to hear a full album, ... which I'm not sure I would.

Raleigh won the lottery with "Vs. Great album and most conducive to live performance (Avocado notwithstanding)

Raleigh was cancelled. Greenville got Vs.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300

I think backspacer would be great front to back

Only one I wouldnt be insanely excited to see would be Lightning bolt, but probably only because we have had such a heavy dose of those songs over the past few years.

I just want Getaway to complete the album
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    Ouch! Salt in the wound.

An unfortunate misstep on my part. Greenville. Thanks for the heads up. Gonna edit op.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259

DPrival78 said:

I'd much rather not hear any album straight through. That element of surprise is one of the best parts of the experience.

Agree! :)
    Right? I mean I wouldn't hate it, but I'd much rather not know what's coming next

i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    Ten
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yield. The Ultimate Yield night!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    All of them? Im sure in the moment it's different, but every way I have been thinking of it, I would rather have a really great show than an entire album. I prefer to not know the next song, and playing al album straight through totally ruins that. I would 100% prefer a show like Holmdel 2003 again, 2 or 3 songs from each album chronologically, than letting a single album "use up" all of the "for the super-fan" song slots.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    None really... I mean I guess Vs but only because I've seen every song from that album
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Backspacer
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mcgruff10 said:

To me they never translated well live. Mike even talks about how people stopped liking them In 2000 probably because binaural was not well recieved by the public. Then riot act to follow becomes their worst selling album.
    In 98 every show was pretty much a sell out while in 00/03 you had thousands of empty seats at shows. I mean look at the difference between the birmingham show in 98 as compared to 03.
    I also admit that I don't songs written by Matt. They are just not my cup of tea.
    i just called 911..run for your life!~!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Ten, Riot Act, and Avocado
  • Options
    Backspacer.

It would actually b cool to hear Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, Fixer, in a row. But once they hit the opening of Johnny Guitar, and I realize what's happening, I might think "oh my god this is happening!!", but not in a good way! Just breathe is a great song, but Amongst the Waves never quite takes off for me live, or on the album. It's like Dissident but without the power, Unthought Known is classic and welcomed at every show to me. The rest of the album is pretty weak and become live rarities for a reason already.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    Backspacer or Ten.

Would love Binaural. Love.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    FrankieG said:

All of them? Im sure in the moment it's different, but every way I have been thinking of it, I would rather have a really great show than an entire album. I prefer to not know the next song, and playing al album straight through totally ruins that. I would 100% prefer a show like Holmdel 2003 again, 2 or 3 songs from each album chronologically, than letting a single album "use up" all of the "for the super-fan" song slots.

Man I had first row that show!!!! It is definitely one of my top five shows of all time and porch was just filthy that night.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

mcgruff10 said:

i just called 911..run for your life!~!
    Lol
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

I agree. Love the songs but I would not be upset if they retired the entire album from live shows.
    Heard the songs too many times, but that is my own fault for going to see them so much. I'd rather hear an album of new songs. All of vitalogy or binaural would be incredible!
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    No BS or LB - be neat to have a show where they play 2 albums back to back I.E. No Code and Yield
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,649
    Get_Right said:

I agree. Love the songs but I would not be upset if they retired the entire album from live shows.
    Heard the songs too many times, but that is my own fault for going to see them so much. I'd rather hear an album of new songs. All of vitalogy or binaural would be incredible!
    I don't get this, but i guess everyone has their own opinion. I get skipping these tracks when listening to bootlegs. Im guilty. Just heard them so many times. But these songs are often the high point of the shows when you're there. They just take the crowd to the next level, and the band kills every one of these tunes. If the band did this, they'd be playing theatre shows within five years, or maybe small amphitheaters at best. Im sure that sounds great to some here, but it just wouldnt work for the band. You'd all be begging for these songs in the near future if they stopped playing them.
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    I actually second the notion that a cover to cover performance would be somewhat of a bummer for me regardless of the album. I like that the band is almost entirely unpredictable when it comes to their setlists. Knowing a rare song is coming as opposed to it just occurring out of the blue would sorta kill the excitement of a show for me.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    AlaG said:

I actually second the notion that a cover to cover performance would be somewhat of a bummer for me regardless of the album. I like that the band is almost entirely unpredictable when it comes to their setlists. Knowing a rare song is coming as opposed to it just occurring out of the blue would sorta kill the excitement of a show for me.

Woo! I'm glad I'm not the only one
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    More CoffeeMore Coffee Posts: 591
    I'd love an album show- any of their albums. I hope they do something like that in Philly. Night 2 will be my 40th show. Bring on Ten, Riot Act, Pearl Jam, Vitology...I'm up for anything!
    support The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    http://giving.chop.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=give_GiveTheGift
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Thriller