Options

Sales of Concert Tickets Are a 'Fixed Game'

FreeFree Posts: 3,562
Had a hard time getting a ticket to a concert or sporting event? New York's attorney general says that's probably because more than half of tickets to many events are held for industry insiders or otherwise unavailable to the general public.

Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said in a report released Thursday that his investigation of the industry was prompted by consumer complaints, which his office receives regularly.

"Ticketing, to put it bluntly, is a fixed game," the report said. Investigators found abuses and practices that prevent consumers from buying tickets at affordable prices or sometimes even getting them at all.

Investigators found that third-party brokers resell tickets on sites like StubHub and TicketsNow at average margins of 49 percent above face-value and sometimes more than 10 times the price. Some brokers use illegal specialty software, called "ticket bots," to quickly purchase as many desirable tickets as possible for resale at significant markups, they said.

The report cited a single broker buying 1,012 tickets within one minute to a U2 concert at Madison Square Garden when they went on sale on Dec. 8, 2014, despite the vendor's claim of a four-ticket limit. By day's end, that broker and one other had 15,000 tickets to U2's North American shows.

Madison Square Garden is "well aware of the issue of tickets getting into the hands of brokers" and has been working to address it, spokeswoman Kimberly Kerns said. "While there are no obvious solutions, we continually look for ways to avoid selling tickets to brokers," she said.

Venues and sellers like Ticketmaster regularly tacked on fees that added more than 21 percent to the face value, investigators said. They found that on average, 16 percent of tickets are reserved for various industry insiders like the venue employees, artists and promoters, while 38 percent are reserved for presales to certain groups like holders of a particular credit card.

Ticketmaster did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

The report also criticized "price floors," particularly by sports leagues and teams including the NFL and New York Yankees, which are rules meant to prevent tickets from being sold below their face value and that deprive the public of possibly cheaper tickets. Many NFL teams encourage or even require ticket holders to use Ticketmaster's NFL Ticket Exchange platform, where the seller is prohibited from cutting the price.

"The more aggressively sports leagues and individual teams push ticket buyers and sellers to use their 'official' secondary markets, the more serious this problem becomes," the report said.

"This investigation is just the beginning of our efforts to create a level playing field in the ticket industry," Schneiderman said.

An NFL spokesman said the NFL Ticket Exchange is just one of many options for ticket holders to buy or sell tickets.

"The NFL does not require them to use the Ticket Exchange," Brian McCarthy said. "The NFL imposes no restrictions whatsoever on any fan's ability to buy or resell tickets on other secondary ticketing sites or to do so at any price they choose. "

A spokeswoman for the Yankees said the Yankees Ticket Exchange is "a completely voluntary program" and a small percentage of the market.

"It is however the only place where a fan can be guaranteed a safe ticket," Yankees spokeswoman Alice McGillion said.

Schneiderman's office is still examining the NFL platform's price floor and whether it's anti-competitive, said an official with knowledge of investigation who wasn't authorized to discuss it publicly and declined to be identified. They want the teams to remove it, he said.

The attorney general also has reached settlements with two ticket brokers operating without a reseller license. The settlements require one company to pay $80,000 and the other $65,000. They and their principals also must maintain a license.

The attorney general's office issued a report more than 15 years ago that found New York's ticket distribution system was largely underground and provided "access to quality seating on the basis of bribes and corruption at the expense of fans."

Thursday's report said that despite changes in technology and state law, the problems persist, and event ticketing is the great exception to areas of the economy where online sales have yielded lower prices and greater transparency.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/inquiry-finds-concert-tickets-held-insiders-36570722

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The biggest take away for me from this article and the last week's events:
    Go see your favorite bands at in any city BUT New York!!!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    From an article in the Porch, execs at MSG have even got busted for profiting off of selling to brokers. I lost for MSG 10c tix, now I dont feel too bad about not going to support a crooked venue.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    What a changed world of music this is! Once upon a time you could get tickets to see people like The Who, Hendrix, Miles Davis, The Clash, etc. no problem. Show up a little early and get up close or grab a first row balcony seat. No problem. Now you have to be in the Mafia or know someone to get in the door. Sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I think this situation has just gotten worse over time. A few years ago I learned from friends that if you can't score tickets when they first go on sale, wait for ticket drops as you get close to the date. The best tickets I've ever gotten were on the day of the show.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Yep it's been like this for what like 30 yrs now , I'm blaming the band too they damn well know how it is I'm so done with this band ....they know the venue has always been corrupt
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Foo fighters did a beat the bots tour.No online sales,only purchased from the venue.But that is very inconvienent.I like the secondary marketplace,I just wish they could clean it up a bit.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,520
    edited January 2016
    When MLB teams like the Red Sox have an official resale partner like Ace ticket, you know there's a problem.

It's nice to see the NYAG taking a look at this, and I hope some good comes out of it for the fans (although I'm not holding my breath)
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    they are fixed because of the ticketing companies. Ticketmaster especially. If Pearl Jam could sell all 18,000 tickets to MSG without Ticketmaster they sure as hell would do it. As long as Ticketmaster (and now Comcast for some venues) is the only one to able to sell tickets for those venues this will always go on. it's time for another fight against the ticket companies. maybe this NY AG is the guy to get it started. Let's just hope if so then all the bands will support change instead of sticking their head in the sand like they did when PJ was going up against Ticketmaster.
  • Options
    Since this is a corporate ownership issue, if you would like things to actually change rather than stay the course, consider voting against corporporate intersts!! Do Not vote republican or Corp lover Hillary. Get Bernie into office!
  • Options
    xhausted1xhausted1 Posts: 126
    I hope something will be done & this is not just lip service. I have problems with the smaller & off the beaten track venues, too.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,568
    rr165892 said:

Foo fighters did a beat the bots tour.No online sales,only purchased from the venue.But that is very inconvienent.I like the secondary marketplace,I just wish they could clean it up a bit.

Actually the "beat the bots"was a presale. They did the box office pressle and then an online sale.

Didn't stop brokers from getting tickets or the amateur scalper from.getting any
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    rgambs said:

Ummmmmmmm lol
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited January 2016

I think this situation has just gotten worse over time. A few years ago I learned from friends that if you can't score tickets when they first go on sale, wait for ticket drops as you get close to the date. The best tickets I've ever gotten were on the day of the show.

Best advice. Works for sporting events too. There are always tickets reserved for friends, family, sponsors and whatever. When they aren't used they usually get released at face value. Two friends and I drove to Toronto to see PJ once with no ticket, walked up to the box office and bought 3 tickets about halfway back, three rows up on the side. It was an hour before the show.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    ldent42 said:

rgambs said:

Ummmmmmmm lol
    Sucks if you live there lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianlux said:

What a changed world of music this is! Once upon a time you could get tickets to see people like The Who, Hendrix, Miles Davis, The Clash, etc. no problem. Show up a little early and get up close or grab a first row balcony seat. No problem. Now you have to be in the Mafia or know someone to get in the door. Sad.

In 1975 I was 15 tickets went on sale here for Led Zeppelin at Nassau coliseum announced on the radio me and four friends begged my dad to drive us to box office bought tickets for 15$ last row left side stage , saw the band months later best concert ever till I saw them again 1977
  • Options
    Jose,score for you.Not many can claim a Zep show.We wanted to go during the In through the out door tour.But we all know what happened instead.

ive seen each member multiple times with other bands but never all together.

Lil Bonham(Jason) lives locally by me here in South Florida so I see him about 4-5 times a year on stage.Playing some Zep stuff w Hagar and Mike Anthony as of late.But see him maybe 2 x a month toolin around traffic in a jacked up diesel monstrosity.lol
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Jose,score for you.Not many can claim a Zep show.We wanted to go during the In through the out door tour.But we all know what happened instead.

Lil Bonham(Jason) lives locally by me here in South Florida so I see him about 4-5 times a year on stage.Playing some Zep stuff w Hagar and Mike Anthony as of late.But see him maybe 2 x a month toolin around traffic in a jacked up diesel monstrosity.lol

Ah ha really he lives in Florida never new that , yeah I can still remember the total euphoric excitement of seeing the 1st drum beats of Rock& Roll that's what they opened with in fucking sane !!!
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,520
    edited January 2016
    I just saw a rear stage pair for MSG on eBay for $400.

$200 a whack to see them from behind. (In all fairness though, it will be worth it when they face the back to perform Last Kiss.)
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Ah ha really he lives in Florida never new that , yeah I can still remember the total euphoric excitement of seeing the 1st drum beats of Rock& Roll that's what they opened with in fucking sane !!!
    If I could go back in time Led Zeppelin,Jimmy Hendrix,Stevie Ray Vaughn and PJ at the off ramp,And the TOTD show would all be on my fantasy bucket list.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552

I just saw a rear stage pair for MSG on eBay for $400.

$200 a whack to see them from behind. (In all fairness though, it will be worth it when they face the back to perform Last Kiss.)

I'd pay that to get in the building no problem. PJ just prices their shows cheap compared to demand.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    honestly If it comes down to it I'd ditch the friends I'm supposed to go with and drop that kind of money for MSG this year.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    i'm glad i didn't put in for tickets this time around. i would have been super pissed getting shut out of tm sale. this shit should be illegal.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    http://www.jambase.com/article/president-obama-signs-act-makes-ticket-bots-illegal

President Obama Signs Act Which Makes Ticket Bots Illegal
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    Free said:

http://www.jambase.com/article/president-obama-signs-act-makes-ticket-bots-illegal

President Obama Signs Act Which Makes Ticket Bots Illegal

There is a much fuller discussion about this on the Porch, for those who are interested. The general consensus seems to be that this will be little to change the situation.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I agree. It probably won't do much. I'll have to visit the porch.