Options

Ottawa Show - Things to do in the city?

a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,849
So hopefully I get tix to the Ottawa show. Looking to take the wife for a nice weekend. Anything cool we can do before the show on Sunday / places we have to see?

btw the show is on my bday!
Cheers!
Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I remember the venue being WAY outside of the actual city of Ottawa in the suburbs... but maybe i'm wrong?
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    not a whole helluva lot as I remember from the last tour. The royal Canadian Mint is there. I will probably spend the extra day between shows in Montreal if they don't announce another Toronto show. Montreal is a great town.
  • Options
    The Canadian Tire Centre is a little outside of the main part of the city but I believe there is a bus line or if you have your car then you're set. Parliament hill is a cool place, it's where our Capital building is right on the water. Should have nice scenery by May. Also the Byward Market is probably the biggest thing to do in Ottawa. Tons of food, nightlife, shopping, all that kind of stuff goes on there. So if you're in to food you'll enjoy that lol. Don't leave without eating a beaver tail!
  • Options
    hmmm a beaver tail huh? now I'm intrigued

• Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
  • Options
    ad128022ad128022 Ottawa Posts: 4
    National Gallery
    Parliament Hill - they have tours
    Museum of History (formerly the Museum of Civilization)
    If the weather's nice, you can walk along the canal - there are some nice paths
    Gatineau Park - lots of walking trails
    Byward Market - decent restaurants,
    Beaver Tail is fried dough
    If you're going to, or through, Montreal I'd suggest stopping at Schwartzes for the best Montreal Smoked meat. you can also get decent smoked meat in Ottawa, at Dunns.

and traffic getting to the venue will suck. Give yourself at least an hour if driving from downtown. And then prepare to pay $15 ($20?) for parking.

• Options
    Beaver tails are like Canadianized funnel cakes. You can put just about anything on them an they're great. If you have a sweet tooth (or many like me lol) they're for you
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    edited January 2016
    Byward Market district is your best bet for bars/pubs/restaurants. Reasonable cab ride in terms of time and cost to/from the venue for those looking to drink/avoid parking. The venue is located in a mixed commercial/residential zone. Nothing at all to do around the venue. If you show up early enough at the venue (I want to say no later than 3pm?) you should be able to park for free before an attendant sets up shop to charge.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

The Canadian Tire Centre is a little outside of the main part of the city but I believe there is a bus line or if you have your car then you're set. Parliament hill is a cool place, it's where our Capital building is right on the water. Should have nice scenery by May. Also the Byward Market is probably the biggest thing to do in Ottawa. Tons of food, nightlife, shopping, all that kind of stuff goes on there. So if you're in to food you'll enjoy that lol. Don't leave without eating a beaver tail!

mmmmm Canadian beaver! ;)
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    The Rideau center is near the Byward market, if you are looking for a more conventional shopping center also.

Also, it is a few days earlier than the Tulip festival but if we are lucky there maybe some nice displays of bulbs up by that time. In town though, not around the venue.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    tons of beautiful Canadian beaver in Montreal
    ... and it speaks french to boot
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    ad128022 said:

National Gallery
    Parliament Hill - they have tours
    Museum of History (formerly the Museum of Civilization)
    If the weather's nice, you can walk along the canal - there are some nice paths
    Gatineau Park - lots of walking trails
    Byward Market - decent restaurants,
    Beaver Tail is fried dough
    If you're going to, or through, Montreal I'd suggest stopping at Schwartzes for the best Montreal Smoked meat. you can also get decent smoked meat in Ottawa, at Dunns.

and traffic getting to the venue will suck. Give yourself at least an hour if driving from downtown. And then prepare to pay $15 ($20?) for parking.

As others have mentioned, the arena is west of downtown about 20min, so basically the burbs. There are some restaurants walking distance from the arena but if you are looking for something to do Saturday and Sunday prior, what people have mentioned above are great suggestions.

The Byward Market is at the center of downtown near the Parliment buildings, National Art gallery, and shopping, so a good spot to sightsee and people watch. I think people have spotted Mike down there before a show in the past.

I'm local, so can provide details on anything specific.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    Oh and yah, be sure to introduce your wife and yourself to some Beaver Tails.

2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,827
    Could always visit the Parliament of Canada. I did the tour back in 2011. It was not bad.

I would like to check out the Canadian War Museum & Notre Dame Basilica this May.

If the Senators make it the 2nd round could always catch a NHL game at the Canadian Tire Centre.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited January 2016

Beaver tails are like Canadianized funnel cakes. You can put just about anything on them an they're great. If you have a sweet tooth (or many like me lol) they're for you

We call them whale tails on the west coast.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Chris519Chris519 Posts: 150
    Can someone tell me where the closest pub is to the arena? Walking distance? And none of that Kelseys. Montanas, Jack Astors type nonsense. A proper pub to plant our asses down for some pints before the show?
  • Options
    Chris519 said:

Can someone tell me where the closest pub is to the arena? Walking distance? And none of that Kelseys. Montanas, Jack Astors type nonsense. A proper pub to plant our asses down for some pints before the show?

We had the 2011 Wishlist Foundation Pre Party @ Bert's Barbados. http://www.bertsbarbados.com/ . It's literally right there @ the Canadian Tire Centre. Not a bad place to do some Irish Car Bombs again. ;)
  • Options
    cojobocojobo Ontario Posts: 299
    I've been looking into Ottawa for a small trip (unrelated) and found a few things that are different than above that may be worth looking into

1. Diefenbunker - may need a car or hitch a ride with another PJ member as it's way outside city
    http://diefenbunker.ca/

2. Jail Hostel - looks like a unique place to stay close to downtown.
    https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155004-d253895-Reviews-HI_Ottawa_Jail_Hostel-Ottawa_Ontario.html
    a5pj said:

So hopefully I get tix to the Ottawa show. Looking to take the wife for a nice weekend. Anything cool we can do before the show on Sunday / places we have to see?

btw the show is on my bday!
    Cheers!

Halifax '05, Toronto '09, Toronto 2 '11, Hamilton '11, London '13, Chicago '13. Buffalo '13 , Leeds '14, Detroit '14, New York (GCF) '15, Ottawa '16, Toronto 1 '16, Toronto 2 '16
  • Options
    ^ I got to go through the diefenbunker as part of a school trip in 08. It's REALLY cool, especially if you're into history and that kind of thing.
  • Options
    palm0014palm0014 Ottawa, ON Posts: 52
    While it is far away from the venue, the House of Targ is not far away from downtown.
    It's a live music venue that opened a few years back and last year it was voted #1 live venue in Canada. Home of some vintage pinball and arcade machines!

http://www.houseoftarg.com/

Honestly, if I were visiting Ottawa for the show (which isn't possible since I actually live here), I would get a place downtown for the weekend, hang out there and on the Sunday, head to the show on the bus. Sure, it'll take a good 30 minutes to get out there, but they are generally quick to get you back downtown after the show as well...just don't hang around the arena too long or else all the busses will leave and then you'll have to fork out money for a cab back downtown.

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    Could bash the Ottawa Senators!!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    palm0014 said:

While it is far away from the venue, the House of Targ is not far away from downtown.
    It's a live music venue that opened a few years back and last year it was voted #1 live venue in Canada. Home of some vintage pinball and arcade machines!

http://www.houseoftarg.com/

Honestly, if I were visiting Ottawa for the show (which isn't possible since I actually live here), I would get a place downtown for the weekend, hang out there and on the Sunday, head to the show on the bus. Sure, it'll take a good 30 minutes to get out there, but they are generally quick to get you back downtown after the show as well...just don't hang around the arena too long or else all the busses will leave and then you'll have to fork out money for a cab back downtown.

Probably a safe bet there'll be something going on on the Saturday night before the concert? Looks like I know where I'll be! Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    Chris519 said:

For a proper beer, this place: http://centralbierhaus.ca/
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    ally12ally12 Ottawa Posts: 68
    Chris519 said:

bier haus, 3 brewers all in the mall section of Kanata, Centrium
    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
    2020: Ottawa, Canada, QC City 
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    Some good suggestions on here. My picks (some are repeats)
    - rent a bike and ride the canal trails. You'll see the best of the city.
    - Byward Market for shopping and eats
    - Definitely take a tour of Parliament
    - If you have time rent a car and drive to Wakefield, Quebec. Beautiful town with covered bridge
    (also visit Gatineau Park and go for a trail walk or hike)
    - Bank Street in the Glebe area is cute

• Options
    For a proper beer, this place: http://centralbierhaus.ca/

Cool, this is now on my Ottawa weekend plan. Thanks.

• Options
    Where's a good record store in Ottawa to hang out at?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yes! Keep them coming, def need a good record store, any good music / instrument stores too?

• Options
    I couldn't tell you how good these are now as its been a while since I've been at Steve's downtown but both of these are near the Byward Market for those who are going to be there anyway (10min walk)

Vertigo Records, 193 Rideau St
    Steve's Music, 308 Rideau St
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16