Options

Chicago 1995 - The Classic Soldiers Field Broadcast - Does anyone own it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Differences between the Parrot and Red Robin versions? Mine says in small print subsidary of red Robin.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    anything from 95 would be a great vault release.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    The Q101 version is what at the time was the Alt Rock station in Chicago. It is pretty much the same quality as the Red Robin, it just has Animal. Both are Sivler CDs. Ed rips Q101 a new one in the show when he is talking about the billboards saying not for you on it, as that was Q101's huge media blitz as a pseudo-promoter of the show. They had Billboards and bumper stickers all over saying this is not for you on it. So it is a FM source as well, also incomplete I think (cant recall off the top of my head) it just was the only CD source for some time with Animal on it. Up until 5 years ago the Q101 version was the rarest of the boot silver CD's, now as Dimi said they come up all the time....all the old farts selling off the cd collection I guess. Being an FM SB boot it was one of the earliest HQ boots out there along with a few 92 Utrecht and Den Haag shows. I think part of the legend of the show amongst the old guard was the length of the show and it actually being out there in an amazing sounding boot (sans good bass) It was one of the clearest boots for the better part of a decade, and until PJ started doing their own official releases.

The extras on the red Robin are amazing stuff from the Milwaukee 95 shows like Little Wing and I only Play for Money

that day was just amazing, the mosh pits were HUGE, and even the poseurs were singing their assess off. Ed was fired up and had some of his most memorable talking lines ever I think.

Some press box richies were flashing their box lights, Ed took notice and let them have it, called them flashing bugs or something
    The crowd booed the shit out of them, then Ed went wait wait, These are the rich fancy people right??? Well it seems to me they are the furthest from the stage and behind a fucking window! Stay in the trenches long enough and it pays off.

I really think this was one of the transformative moments for me as a young 21 yr old asshole, I felt Ed was in it for the little guy, he related to us with his stories of growing up in the area, as he always does in Chicagoland. I felt he wasn't just giving us lip service, that he actually gave a fuck about the fans and us poor fuckers who paid to see them play. It doesn't hurt us midwesterners are notoriously loyal to our region either. If you ask me, this was a moment in Ed's life where he realized, I finally made it, I am playing Soldier Field, and he fucking brought it! His voice actually sounds like shit on half the songs, but it was clear and relatively hissless, so we didn't care!

It was also part of the ETM, fuck ticketmaster era, man we all hated 5 dollar fees, look at it now.
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Anyone have the recent vinyl reissue of this? How is the quality?
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati