Options

Where will Ed's 'Into The Wild' record stand for you in time?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
Listening to this in full for the first time in a few years. Classic comes to mind. I think it's one of those works that can be loved and re-appreciated time and time again. Might stand as high as my love for Vs. You?
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited July 2015
    I don't think my feelings about it will change at any point. I loved it when it came out, and I love it now. I don't like it as much as most of PJ's albums (not even remotely close, actually. But it's way better than Backspacer and half of LB), but it's definitely a great soundtrack. But it's not for all moods. I throw it on when I'm in the mood for something more soothing and relaxing... and when my mom comes over, lol. It is REALLY hard to find an album in my collection that my mom will also like. Our taste in music couldn't be more different. I think she only tolerates Into the Wild, in fact, haha. The only album I own that she actually said she doesn't feel irritated by is Morning Phase by Beck. She doesn't like Eddie Vedder because she has trouble understanding all of the words he sings, haha. But she doesn't mind Into The Wild. Hard Sun annoys her I think, but the rest she can at least handle. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think my feelings about it will change at any point. I loved it when it came out, and I love it now. I don't like it as much as most of PJ's albums (not even remotely close, actually. But it's way better than Backspacer and half of LB), but it's definitely a great soundtrack. But it's not for all moods. I throw it on when I'm in the mood for something more soothing and relaxing... and when my mom comes over, lol. It is REALLY hard to find an album in my collection that my mom will also like. Our taste in music couldn't be more different. I think she only tolerates Into the Wild, in fact, haha. The only album I own that she actually said she doesn't feel irritated by is Morning Phase by Beck. She doesn't like Eddie Vedder because she has trouble understanding all of the words he sings, haha. But she doesn't mind Into The Wild. Hard Sun annoys her I think, but the rest she can at least handle. :lol:

Summary? A record Mum's can get behind, or maybe to the side?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    A great record that really fit it's purpose. I can't hear it without thinking of the story.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Mmmm ... mom rock....

:wink:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    an amazing piece of art and work that just shows how talented he is as a musician and lyric writer. i'm not a vinyl guy but have it and will always cherish it. The only bad thing I could ever say is it ends too fast.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    It's much better than Uke Songs.
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    One of my top 5 albums of all time. Every song is genius.

IMO, of course.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The movie and album both came at a time when I needed something exactly like them.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Summary? A record Mum's can get behind, or maybe to the side?
    Lol, I think if you don't happen to have a big selection of Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Louis Armstrong, and/or bizarre compilations from 50s film soundtracks, then this album can be a decent compromise for Mom's listening pleasure. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283

The movie and album both came at a time when I needed something exactly like them.

I can relate to this, when the album/movie came out, it really resonated deeply with me and really made me think. I consider the movie one of my all-time favorites and the album I truly do think is a classic. So much so it's hard to find words to describe just how much I love it. Some of Ed's most introspective and gorgeous lyrics. I even have 'Rise' in the typography it's in on the album tattooed on my wrist.

I think it's best listened to in a car, with gorgeous scenery around you. A few years ago, I was listening to it on a drive to Masada in Israel, surrounded by stunning mountains, deserts, dunes...I felt like I was in a movie!

I can't say enough about Into the Wild. Grateful Ed made it.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857
    Fantastic album. Will be in rotation in my collection forever. Somewhat folky but really showcases Eddie as a singer/songwriter. Musically very simple as well but creates a great accompaniment to the lyrics.

I think it's very relateable/inspiring too with songs about exploring, finding your dreams, living life positively and to its fullest extent. . .

Rise is one of my favorite songs ever PJ or otherwise. Lyrically and musically. Such great songwriting with a mood that elicits a lot of emotion.
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • Options
    I think it stands on it's own very well. I have to say that it's always a little disappointing to me that the best song on the record (Hard Sun) isn't Ed's. But...he really kills it so it's all good. I'll toss in that I am (apparently) one of the few that think Ukelele Songs is a really, really good album. I think the songs (both Ed's and others') are performed with deep emotion. I feel that a lot of folks brush it off because it is an album of uke songs and it disappoints me. Is it a rock album? No. But is it powerful on it's own. Dream A Little Dream gives me the chills every time....
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    Uke Songs is phenomenal!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Love all of Into the Wild. Long nights is one of my favorite songs of all time.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

Uke Songs is phenomenal!

One of my Sunday morning with a cup of coffee listens. It's nowhere near Into The Wild, but it's pretty good (when I'm in the mood)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Never forget seeing Ed at the Zellenbach in Berkeley and him clearing his throat before starting into No Ceiling....

Classic is correct!
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options

Uke Songs is phenomenal!

Yeah, I love that album. That's another one that I pull out for mom, actually. :lol:
  • Options
    Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    One of my favorite all-time albums! Am so glad that Ed did the soundtrack for this movie...this album will stand the test of time with me. The "Into the Wild" book is also one of my all-time favorites and inspired me to read many other books by Krakauer.
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    I read the Krakauer book when I was a kid. The book and the one Chris' sister wrote make me appreciate the album in a different way, but I've always loved it. I don't put it up there with my fav PJ records, but not cause it's a lesser album, but just appreciate them differently.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    It's a tattoo you love,be there forever
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Love it
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I love it.

It shall be played in full at my funeral.
  • Options
    Great album.

I'll never forget Eddie in Vancouver night two of his first solo venture belting out the tunes off this album. I left the venue thinking I had seen something pretty freaking amazing.

Rise is definitely the champion of those tracks, but they're all pretty damn good.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    Love it. Such a great record. Just spun it the other day. Hard for me to compare it to PJ records because it is just different to me. I definitely love it as much as PJ in certain moods.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    One of the top 3 or 4 vedder releases ever. The album is just below Ten, No Code, and Yield
  • Options
    PapaljuicePapaljuice Jacksonville Posts: 502
    This album is down right incredible. There is not one dog in that album. I play it all the time. One of my favorite albums of all-time. When I listen to it, I get in a laid back mood and enjoy Ed's writing and singing. I would say this is tied with Singles for the greatest soundtrack ever.

Long Nights is absolutely insane. I would throw this song up there as one of the best Ed has sang on. The very beginning when he sings sends chills down my spine.

I think that The Wolf shows just how fucking incredible Ed's voice really is. To me this songs proves that he has the greatest voice in all of music.
    Pearl Jam - ST. PETERSBURG, FL 3-29-94 / WEST PALM BEACH, FL 9-22-98 / TAMPA, FL 8-12-00 / CHARLOTTE, NC 10/30/13 / ST. LOUIS, MO 10-03-2014 / TAMPA, FL 4-11-16 / JACKSONVILLE, FL 4-13-16
    Eddie Vedder - JACKSONVILLE, FL 11/24/12 / JACKSONVILLE, FL 11/25/12 / ORLANDO, FL 11-28-12
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    I've listened to this record more in the last three months than I had since it was released. I overlooked it for a long, long time. Never again. It's fantastic.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    edited July 2015

I think it stands on it's own very well. I have to say that it's always a little disappointing to me that the best song on the record (Hard Sun) isn't Ed's. But...he really kills it so it's all good. I'll toss in that I am (apparently) one of the few that think Ukelele Songs is a really, really good album. I think the songs (both Ed's and others') are performed with deep emotion. I feel that a lot of folks brush it off because it is an album of uke songs and it disappoints me. Is it a rock album? No. But is it powerful on it's own. Dream A Little Dream gives me the chills every time....

I must admit, I think the same thing about Hard Sun. It's definitely the best song on a great album.... and it's a cover. That feels like just a tiny bit sad. But still.... he fucking ROCKS that cover. And if you can make a cover way better than the original song (and the original is good), then you are a success.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PJ_Soul said:

I must admit, I think the same thing about Hard Sun. It's definitely the best song on a great album.... and it's a cover. That feels like just a tiny bit sad. But still.... he fucking ROCKS that cover. And if you can make a cover way better than the original song (and the original is good), then you are a success.
    It's funny, my favorite tune on the album is Society, also a cover. I prefer Ed singing it too.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    It's just a perfect package of songs. Just like Ten was. Everything fits and and sounds as it belongs as one whole.

No other PJ record do that in that way.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"