Options

Coffee-Maker Recommendations

hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
We have been thrust back into instant-coffeeland because the Mr. Coffee that we've had for only ONE year decided to stop working this morning.

Where have you gone...

I used to be just fine with a spoonful of Folger's and boiling water, but have grown to love the simplicity of hitting a button and having our place rife with that freshly-brewed scent.

Thoughts on a good make for a four-cupper or are we supposed to suck it up that this item, like most shit we buy now, won't last very long?

Comments

• Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2015
    I enjoy my coffee made from a Bodum aka French press. You can buy them in different sizes and make just a cup or up to four. Its a bit more work than hitting a button, but well worth it
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    We've had a Kuerig for a few years and I love it. Obviously not the highest quality, but just pressing a button and no cleanup is very nice.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I've never had a small machine but I've been using the Gevalia coffee machines for over a decade. They used to run a promotion where you get a free machine when you sign up for auto delivery but it looks like they don't do that anymore.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Thanks, all!

It shouldn't be so difficult to find a decent stand-alone little thing - don't even mind spending more if it's good quality.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Jura
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    We use a Hamilton Beach 12 cup without carafe. I think they run about $50. Had it for a few years. Still works great. Bought one for a friend's house warming. They in turn bought one for us 'cuz they love theirs so much. No, they didn't re-gift. :tongue: Now we have two. It's always good to have a back up in case one craps out. CAN NOT start my day without coffee. :coffee:
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    I can't believe that I too used to drink instant coffee....then, i drank weak real coffee....now, i like strong fresh brewed java...we have a cuisinart.

and the best coffee in town comes from the Jack Mormon Coffee Co.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2015
    OP
    I have been using this one for 5yrs now. http://www.sunbeamhospitality.com/hospitality/coffeemakers/mr.-coffee-4-cup-coffeemaker-white/TF4-099.html
    My friends laugh sometimes at how small it is but I always say that never in my life have I had to make 12 cups of coffee.
    Perfect size for one or two in the morning.

I'm Alive - what coffee do you recommend to drink from their website
    http://jackmormoncoffee.com/collections/all

I enjoy a nice cup once in awhile and am thinking about ordering some after looking them up.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I have a Keurig too, and i absolutely love it. So fast and easy and clean. And there are actually some VERY good coffees you can get for it. Some others are terrible. You just need to find the right kind of coffee for you and you'll never look back.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2015
    I have used Keuring often at other places/homes.
    Since I read this article not too far back it has changed my thinking. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/k-cup-creator-john-sylvan-regrets-inventing-keurig-coffee-pod-system-1.2982660
    I am by no means a tree-hugging save the planet guy but I do read news and form my opinions.

edit - OP My intention is not to turn this into an AMT thread.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    It would be pretty easy to make those cups biodegradable. I'm sure that will happen soon enough. Meanwhile... yeah, I'm going to keep enjoying the hell put of my Keurig. Nobody's perfect. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Is it weird that I agree with both PJfan & PJ Soul on this?

At my last job they had a Keurig machine and I ended up in charge of it. I tried a bunch of different brands/flavors but never managed to find one I actually liked. I changed the filter and had the machine cleaned as well, thinking something might have been off and giving out an odd flavor. But no. Just didn't like it. Still drank it in caffeine emergencies. I had read that article as well and it was really the first time I'd considered it's environmental impact.

Truth be told if I had one at home and I really liked it, this wouldn't stop me from using it. But I have seen the reusable pods advertised where you put your regular ground coffee in it and it's reusable/refillable.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Yeah, there you go. I have one of those reusable Keurig filters. Just fill it with whatever coffee you want. I haven't used it yet, since I really enjoy this kind called rainforest espresso (Starbucks pike place is also good), but if I wanted to make my Keurig zero - waste I easily could (and maybe I will one of these days and know i should, but damn, those pods are convenient. I really hate the mess of coffee grounds a lot.

I've found thst the cup size you select makes a huge difference for the various coffees btw. Some of them are good with the small or medium, but most are gross with the large.
  • Options
    Ultimately it comes down to tastebuds.
    It is not rocket science to produce a machine that heats water to pour over coffee grinds.
    Some people like Starbucks others don't.
    Same coffee different tastedbuds.
    Keurig is just a vessel of hot water to pour over different brand names.
    No one wants to be told by Keurig what coffee to drink.
    That is why so many "brand" named pods are coming out.
  • Options

My friends laugh sometimes at how small it is

how embarrassing!

try the Cuarenteño

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    imalive said:

how embarrassing!

try the Cuarenteño

Is it fair trade? Is it bird friendly?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    As far as the OP, we've had a Cuisinart at home for several years and I like it a lot. Enough that when we replaced our coffee maker at work, I suggested a Cuisinart. It's great and I think it will hold up for the voluminous amounts of coffee we drink there.
  • Options
    I've heard Keurig is wonderful, but don't you need a water-line hookup?

We don't have that - no dishwasher (not the non-human kind, anyway).

See, Hamilton Beech, Sunbeam - these are as reputable as Mr. Coffee! Well, what I thought Mr. Coffee still was. I think we'll go with one of those.

Also, we're always open to good coffee recommendations, so feel free to put them out there (plus any AMT-ish thoughts =) )
  • Options
    And Cuisinart! Another reliable company - thanks, Who P :)
  • Options
    No, you don't need a water line hookup. It holds a tank of water that it heats up for each cup. You can put a charcoal filter in the tank, the same kind many coffee makers use.

I used to use a Keurig at work but I've gotten to where I just prefer brewed coffee.
  • Options

imalive said:

how embarrassing!

try the Cuarenteño

fair trade? yes. bird friendly? are you messing with me?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

imalive said:

how embarrassing!

try the Cuarenteño

This was a good thread about coffee.
    The practices of how the bean gets to your cup should be an AMT thread.

Sorry OP
  • Options
    imalive said:

Would I mess with you? :tongue:

https://www.birdsandbeans.com/
  • Options

imalive said:

Would I mess with you? :tongue:

https://www.birdsandbeans.com/
    i learn something new everyday....the answer may or may not be in here:

http://www.onlinedigeditions.com/iphone/article.php?id=917863&id_issue=92612&src=&ref=http://www.google.com/

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

imalive said:

imalive said:

how embarrassing!

try the Cuarenteño

Sorry OP
    It's all good from here, but I thank you, PJfan :)

What about those beans that are culled from the shit of...monkeys, I think?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    hedonist said:

imalive said:

imalive said:

how embarrassing!

try the Cuarenteño

Sorry OP
    It's all good from here, but I thank you, PJfan :)

What about those beans that are culled from the shit of...monkeys, I think?
    wildly expensive. I have been called a big ape, if ya want I can.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

wildly expensive. I have been called a big ape, if ya want I can.....

God knows I appreciate the offer, but no fuckin way, mickey!

• Options
    lemme know if ya change your mind. HA!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    whatever its worth, these makers these days seem to be too complicated .Tried and true basic maker is the way to go. as was said above, if it heats the water to the desired temp to brew , what more do you need?

that said Fiance found one a couple years ago at a regional grocer that was on clearance, cuisanart basket filter with no carafe. internal reservoir.
    like this http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cuisinart-DCC-2000-Coffee-on-Demand-12-cup-Coffeemaker/4216810/product.html?refccid=6GBPDFG52C2JQX2IBUXUZ4664U&searchidx=21 .

$40 or something like that.

• Options

Sorry OP

Sorry! I just wanted to give Rob some shit.

Look, I'm a serious coffee drinker and I happen to love watching birds, but even I find it kind of funny that there's something called "bird friendly" coffee.