Options

famous controversial performances

ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
So I thought it would be interesting to get together a list of performances that were famous for being controversial. Hope you could help me out. I only know the famous ones, videos are greatly appreciated!

So to start the list with a famous one - Bushleaguer Uniondale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhSd8n5TeRg

Porch Live Unplugged & SNL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOpE85bmW0

Daughter/anti-war rant - Milton Keynes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxliwplW3Sk

Daughter/The Wall tag - Lollapalooza 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDfnCVDBTUA

Singles Release Party (Clip of State of Love and Trust)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oap3DZn8Vc

any more for me?

Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]

Comments

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Daughter from the Showboat DVD w/ the War tag

http://youtu.be/EmoAa93IpT0
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    edited May 2015
    Nice
    Post edited by hsohi on
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Daughter from the Showbox is so powerful, particularly considering he took the stand 4 months before the invasion started and the jingoism in this country was at a fever pitch. Very few people listened to Scott Ritter and other inspectors who were critical of the intelligence that was made public.
    It reminds me of some of Bruce's shows in the 70's and 80's when he took very similar stands.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Looks like you got em all
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946
    Not so much a performance but...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHTfKueFL4
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    besides bushleaguer in uniondale and porch during unplugged, how are any of the rest controversial? he said some anti war stuff...that's controversial or just voicing an opinion?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,810
    mcgruff10 said:

besides bushleaguer in uniondale and porch during unplugged, how are any of the rest controversial? he said some anti war stuff...that's controversial or just voicing an opinion?

Agree
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    Without even viewing the videos (just looking at the titles) I understand and remember why each and every one of these is here.

But if you can't even remember why the milton keynes video is in a thread about controversial PJ performances you don't really remember much do you?
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    Milton Keynes was anti war. Typical Ed. I don t think it was highly controversial. Porch on unplugged, yeah that was pretty bold writing pro choice on your arm while on national TV. The first time you come back to New York after 9/11 you play bush leaguer? Probably the most controversial show ever as that show made national headlines. You could even mention the Denver show from 03.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:

You could even mention the Denver show from 03.

• Options
    Hershey 03.....shitting in little girls heads or whatever he said.... That show left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    Re: Milton Keynes, this is not controversy? https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pearl+jam+israel
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mrk2 said:

Re: Milton Keynes, this is not controversy? https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pearl+jam+israel

It s typical eddie. How is that controversial? The 2004 vote for change tour was a hell of a lot more controversial than a two minute speech in the middle of daughter supposedly about Israel.
    This is like being pissed if Ed totally bashed fox news or the gop.
  • Options
    argument that involves many people who strongly disagree about something : strong disagreement about something among a large group of people

has nothing to do with something being typical
  • Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    So they are only controversial for people who will end up on the wrong side of history?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    A little too much splitting hairs here... I think the OP was pointing out things said/done that were 'stand out', either good or bad. I think these all qualify personally. Perhaps if we title this "Things Ed did that would have gotten him kicked off country/clearchannel radio (ala Dixie Chicks). I think we can agree all of these would have qualified.
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    I'd personally include the Denver '03 show... It was a huge deal around these parts when the national media picked up on the fact that a bunch of people apparently left that show in protest. It even seemed to rattle the band a bit.

I was not a fan at the time this happened, but have seen a snippet of the t-shirt burning on an old MTV segment off a friend's tape... Courtesy the 5 Horizons/Two Feet Thick Concert Chronology...

11/07/93 - Mesa Amphitheater: Mesa, AZ
    attendance: 5,000
    support act: Mohican singer-songwriter, Bill Miller and Butthole Surfers

notes: Ed tells the crowd that after visiting the mountain with some of the Native Americans who held the land sacred, the band had decided to donate ALL of the proceeds from the shows to benefit their cause.
    Before 'Leash,' the audience tosses a University of Arizona sweatshirt onstage which Ed drapes over a mic stand and burns, being displeased with the university because they were trying to develop an otherwise pristine piece of land holding significant historical worth to the Apaches.
    About Mount Graham: Mount Graham is the most sacred mountain to the traditional San Carlos Apache people and home to many plants and animals that don't exist elsewhere. The Mount Graham Coalition is an international group (associated with Earth First!) working to protect the mountain from development of an astronomical complex of observatories that was then under construction by the University of Arizona. The University and the Vatican want to put an observatory on Mt. Graham for the purpose of searching for alien life. The mountain is sacred to the tribe(s) in the area. When the rest of the world was expecting Pearl Jam to focus on a world tour in support of Vs., the band took time out to play two benefit shows for this cause. Late, they wrote a letter to President Clinton expressing their support for the Coalition.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2015
    Sarah said:

11/07/93 - Mesa Amphitheater: Mesa, AZ
    attendance: 5,000
    support act: Mohican singer-songwriter, Bill Miller and Butthole Surfers

notes: Ed tells the crowd that after visiting the mountain with some of the Native Americans who held the land sacred, the band had decided to donate ALL of the proceeds from the shows to benefit their cause.
    Before 'Leash,' the audience tosses a University of Arizona sweatshirt onstage which Ed drapes over a mic stand and burns, being displeased with the university because they were trying to develop an otherwise pristine piece of land holding significant historical worth to the Apaches.
    About Mount Graham: Mount Graham is the most sacred mountain to the traditional San Carlos Apache people and home to many plants and animals that don't exist elsewhere. The Mount Graham Coalition is an international group (associated with Earth First!) working to protect the mountain from development of an astronomical complex of observatories that was then under construction by the University of Arizona. The University and the Vatican want to put an observatory on Mt. Graham for the purpose of searching for alien life. The mountain is sacred to the tribe(s) in the area. When the rest of the world was expecting Pearl Jam to focus on a world tour in support of Vs., the band took time out to play two benefit shows for this cause. Late, they wrote a letter to President Clinton expressing their support for the Coalition.

That is awesome, never knew about that
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mrussel1 said:

A little too much splitting hairs here... I think the OP was pointing out things said/done that were 'stand out', either good or bad. I think these all qualify personally. Perhaps if we title this "Things Ed did that would have gotten him kicked off country/clearchannel radio (ala Dixie Chicks). I think we can agree all of these would have qualified.

^^ also, I saw that in the clip about "not afraid to get booed" from PJ20, but found no vids :perturbed:
    Post edited by ehbacon on
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I think Milton keys was very confrontational and huge. That's just me
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Not a controversial show by any means, but the Bristow (DC) show in 2010 he flat out told corporate lobbyists to go kill themselves. He literally asked if there were any corporate lobbyists in the crowd, and if there were - "go kill yourselves." Not too cool of a statement by any regards. I was at the show and trust me, he wasn't really joking.

He later apologized in the show for the statement, but again, not really too bright or cool of a statement to make by any account.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,888
    YLed2 said:

Not a controversial show by any means, but the Bristow (DC) show in 2010 he flat out told corporate lobbyists to go kill themselves. He literally asked if there were any corporate lobbyists in the crowd, and if there were - "go kill yourselves." Not too cool of a statement by any regards. I was at the show and trust me, he wasn't really joking.

He later apologized in the show for the statement, but again, not really too bright or cool of a statement to make by any account.

I forgot about that…. Quite a few people got pissed, I think some left.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Attaway77 said:

YLed2 said:

And a lot of boos being poured out. Deservingly so - just not a smart or cool comment to make regardless of your position. Especially from someone who is supposedly so pro-peace. Was a great show though - I thought one of the most underrated of the tour that year.

Btw, great to see you brother! Hope all is well and life is good!
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,888
    YLed2 said:

Attaway77 said:

YLed2 said:

And a lot of boos being poured out. Deservingly so - just not a smart or cool comment to make regardless of your position. Especially from someone who is supposedly so pro-peace. Was a great show though - I thought one of the most underrated of the tour that year.

Btw, great to see you brother! Hope all is well and life is good!
    You as well my friend!! Hopefully soon enough we'll get some shows pop up, starting to get that itch!
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    What about San fran 95? Pretty damn controversial. That show made national headlines. And of course Denmark 2000 was controversial in its own way.
  • Options
    I love Eddies story about the Singles petformance, funny stuff..
  • Options
    karmadefectkarmadefect Posts: 806
    mcgruff10 said:

What about San fran 95?

That was the first thing that came to mind hahaha. Not controversial in any political sense, but it raised some eyebrows.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

What about San fran 95?

That was the first thing that came to mind hahaha. Not controversial in any political sense, but it raised some eyebrows.
    Good call. Messy times for our favourite band.
  • Options
    YLed2 said:

This is the first I've ever heard of this, and that's really disappointing. Ugh!
  • Options
    Another oldie but goodie! "Shoe The Shoeless!", Indio '93...

*Language warning, of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y2lG8KVRf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd9iOpMSOns