Options

15 Years Ago: Pearl Jam Work Through Their Issues With 'Binaural'

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
edited May 2015 in The Porch
http://www.zrock103.com/common/more.php?m=161&article=B0C57752FBF011E4BB42FEFDADE6840A&mode=2

The turn of the millennium found grunge icons Pearl Jam in a very tired state. After the 1998 release of their fifth album, Yield, they spent most of their energy touring. Following a bit of a break, the gang reconvened to begin writing and recording what would become their sixth album, Binaural, which they would release 15 years ago today (May 16).

They went into the studio with a new drummer and a new producer. Before the Yield tour, then-drummer Jack Irons left the band due to the vigorous touring schedule. Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron filled in for the tour, and the sessions for Binaural became his first recording gig with PJ.

The new producer was Tchad Blake, a big proponent of binaural recording, which can produce rich stereo sounds. This would be the first album Pearl Jam recorded without their long-time producer Brendan O'Brien.

Pearl Jam had a difficult time with writing and recording Binaural; to start, guitarist Mike McCready left part way through recording to check himself into rehab for an addiction to prescription medication, and to make matters worse, singer Eddie Vedder found himself mired in writer's block.

He was having a hard time with his vocal duties, both with writing words and developing melodies, so in order to focus on writing lyrics, Vedder banned himself from playing guitar. This led to him picking up a ukelele. On it, he wrote "Soon Forget":

Commercially, Binaural did not perform up to the standards set by all of Pearl Jam's previous albums, despite its debut at the No. 2 spot on the Billboard 200. It was the first Pearl Jam album that didn't go platinum, and the band only released two singles from it: "Nothing as it Seems" and "Light Years."

Both singles are subdued, almost somber, affairs. "Light Years," while slow and serious, might be considered heavy; it's a psychedelic tune, full of swirly guitar solos and dense instrumentation.

The album as a whole is atypically soft-spoken. The rockers are fewer and further between than what fans had come to expect, though, a few songs still warrant turning up, like "Grievance."

Following the album's release, the still road-weary band decided to, well, hit the road, touring first in Europe before returning home for a U.S. run.

Toward the end of the band's stint in Europe, tragedy struck at the Roskilde Festival in Denmark. As Pearl Jam performed, the crowd of around 50,000 people began to crush in on itself. The situation quickly became dire, and security tried to get word to Pearl Jam to stop playing.

Once they heard there was a problem, they stopped playing immediately, and Vedder asked everyone in the crowd to take three steps back.

Unfortunately, though, nine fans lost their lives. The situation wasn't Pearl Jam's fault; anyone could have been playing when this happened. It still, understandably, had a tremendous effect on the band members, though.

Vedder told Q magazine in 2011 how the incident stuck with him and the rest of the band:

If I remember correctly, I think Stone was the one who maybe thought we shouldn't continue. I think if it was an issue that went right to us, or something we did, or our security or whatever, then that would've been harder, I don't know if we'd have been able to keep going. But there was kind of nothing we could've done about it. I'm also grateful to Pete [Townshend] and Roger [Daltrey] and Tom Waits, the people that reached out, cos I was in a f-in' fetal position the day after.

Following the tour, PJ released bootleg recordings of each live show they played on the road. This led to them setting records for the number of album releases that debuted on the Billboard Top 200.

While Binaural may never be considered a staple in Pearl Jam's catalog, it is a direct connection between Yield and Riot Act, showing the band's constant evolution from album-to-album, an important part of its history ... and for that reason alone, it's worth revisiting, 15 years later.

Original story: http://diffuser.fm
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,779
    :heart: Binaural, I think it has actually taken over as my favorite album. It is so dark and broody without being angry but at the same time I am so happy when I listen to it. It was the sound track to my birthday on repeat until my sister made me turn it off. :heart::heart:
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,530
    just love for this..i can't find nothing wrong in Binaural
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    23scidoo said:

One word: evacuation.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,822
    The only thing that disappoints me about Binaural is what could have been if they didn't mess with the Tracklist. I love the album but I would love it more if they kept the original Tracklist. How do u leave off Sad and Fatal?

"Breakerfall"
    "Insignificance"
    "Evacuation"
    "Letter to the Dead"
    Later renamed to "Sad"
    "Rival"
    "Grievance"
    "Light Years"
    "Of the Girl"
    "Thin Air"
    "Nothing as It Seems"
    "Fatal"
    "Sleight of Hand"
    "Soon Forget"
    "In the Moonlight"
    "Parting Ways"
    "Education"
  • Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    mcgruff10 said:

23scidoo said:

How it made on the album, while so many other GREAT songs didn't, still perplexes me!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    SS9981 said:

mcgruff10 said:

23scidoo said:

How it made on the album, while so many other GREAT songs didn't, still perplexes me!
    switch evacuation with sad and you are talking an entirely different album.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,849
    Evacuation is absolutely terrible. I'm surprised they let Matt stay in the band after that dud. :-P
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    mcgruff10 said:

SS9981 said:

mcgruff10 said:

23scidoo said:

switch evacuation with sad and you are talking an entirely different album.
    Truest thing I've read all day. Furthermore, how the fuck does it still find it's way into set lists???
  • Options
    pj66pj66 Posts: 30
    Of the Girl is the gem on this release.
  • Options
    SuzyntheqSuzyntheq Posts: 48
    Sorry but Evacuation fucking rocks!
  • Options
    I remember when this album came out, how disappointing it was. Of course I was probably at the height of my fandom. They had just releases No Code and Yield...which both felt so dynamic and layered, songs and recordings excellent.

Then here came Binaural. The first Matt Cameron record with a new producer. It felt like something was missing. Vedder was very restrained on some of the tracks, NAIS and Thin Air.

I didn't care for the production on the album or Cameron's drumming, much less rhythmic than Irons.

And the whole track listing debacle, seriously what was that all about?!

The album has grown on me over time, never truly disliked it. It was just the first album that didn't continue the quality of that initial string of albums.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    Suzyntheq said:

Big +1 love it live!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

Evacuation is absolutely terrible. I'm surprised they let Matt stay in the band after that dud. :-P

:lol: good grief! I like evac. I love Binaural. As the article said constant evolution! Now bring on some bag pipes already!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953

The only thing that disappoints me about Binaural is what could have been if they didn't mess with the Tracklist. I love the album but I would love it more if they kept the original Tracklist. How do u leave off Sad and Fatal?

"Breakerfall"
    "Insignificance"
    "Evacuation"
    "Letter to the Dead"
    Later renamed to "Sad"
    "Rival"
    "Grievance"
    "Light Years"
    "Of the Girl"
    "Thin Air"
    "Nothing as It Seems"
    "Fatal"
    "Sleight of Hand"
    "Soon Forget"
    "In the Moonlight"
    "Parting Ways"
    "Education"

I agree.

PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    edited May 2015
    Never mind, I was in the wrong thread
    Post edited by Jed on
  • Options
    Go To Fire 43Go To Fire 43 Posts: 449
    I have never actually tried listening to the original track list in order. I feel a playlist in the making.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    Binaural seems to be a very polarizing release. My thoughts are:

1) I appreciate it way more today than I did when it came out.
    2) Customizing the original song order helps me appreciate it.
    3) Adding in Fatal and Sad to the playlist is just nutty goodness.

This release was not for the casual fan. It was the band growing and diversifying for survival.
    There are several songs on Binaural that should be in the PJ hall of fame. I'll let you decide on which ones.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Suzyntheq said:

This times a million.

The bass sound and the drum sound on this record are the "live-est" sounding of the entire PJ catalog.
    It's like you're in the room with them.
    Binaural has always been my favorite album.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,212
    Every album that they have ever made is like a child. You cant say you have a favorite,but they all did something special to make you think of of a particular one. Pearl Jam don't make bad albums,they just don't or ever will.