Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    Thanks, now I have a severe craving for Mexican food.... mmmMmmm
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,487
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

What does that have to do with the 10C? These are all band decisions.

you really think ed, stone, mike, jeff and matt sit down and text/skype/snapchat/inbox/call/discuss in person these type of decisions?
    You really think Tim and Santos make all the decisions without running them by the band?
    besides touring I think the majority of the decisions made with merchandising are made by kelly, tim and santos. If you asked any of pj about vault #5 I seriously doubt they would have any clue what you are talking about. (maybe mike would).
    I seriously doubt Kelly Curtis has much to do with merchandise, but I could be wrong. I agree that the 10C makes merchandising decisions, but I'd like to think the band has at least something to do with the audio that is released bearing their name. Jeff seems to put most work into their releases.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    edited May 2015

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

you really think ed, stone, mike, jeff and matt sit down and text/skype/snapchat/inbox/call/discuss in person these type of decisions?
    You really think Tim and Santos make all the decisions without running them by the band?
    besides touring I think the majority of the decisions made with merchandising are made by kelly, tim and santos. If you asked any of pj about vault #5 I seriously doubt they would have any clue what you are talking about. (maybe mike would).
    I seriously doubt Kelly Curtis has much to do with merchandise, but I could be wrong. I agree that the 10C makes merchandising decisions, but I'd like to think the band has at least something to do with the audio that is released bearing their name. Jeff seems to put most work into their releases.
    The band has a lot to do with it. It's largely Jeff and Eddie who do the artwork for their stuff, no? Plus these are actually ALBUMS by the band. I have never heard of any band who didn't have a large hand in album releases, be they old live shows, or new albums. So I'd bet the band is completely aware of all vinyl releases that are coming down the pipe. In fact, since they are all into vinyl, they are probably all somewhat excited about it happening. This is part of their jobs and a part of their pay cheques. I'm pretty sure they have a vested interest in their album releases.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    edited May 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

The band has a lot to do with it. It's largely Jeff and Eddie who do the artwork for their stuff, no? Plus these are actually ALBUMS by the band. I have never heard of any band who didn't have a large hand in album releases, be they old live shows, or new albums. So I'd bet the band is completely aware of all vinyl releases that are coming down the pipe. In fact, since they are all into vinyl, they are probably all somewhat excited about it happening. This is part of their jobs and a part of their pay cheques. I'm pretty sure they have a vested interest in their album releases.

I always feel the opposite. The 10c releases are often small (maybe bigger for the vaults). I'm always thinking the amount of money they bring in must pale in comparison to doing a single live show. Due to how the 10c operates, I always figured they'd do a better job if the band members were paying closer attention at what they do.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,585
    edited May 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Having spoken with the band's merchandise manager, I can tell you it was confirmed all members of the band get together and approve every piece of merchandise before it's offered for consumption. He went on to say that's why it's so difficult to get the ladies merchandise just right because at the end of the day "you have 5 guys in the late 40s/early 50s who have no idea about women's clothing making decisions about women's clothing."
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 951
    100 Pacer said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Having spoken with the band's merchandise manager, I can tell you it was confirmed all members of the band get together and approve every piece of merchandise before it's offered for consumption. He went on to say that's why it's so difficult to get the ladies merchandise just right because at the end of the day "you have 5 guys in the late 40s/early 50s who have no idea about women's clothing making decisions about women's clothing."
    hah, interesting. thats a pretty funny thought about the womens clothing though
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    100 Pacer said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

this makes sense. it's products bearing their name, and they obviously care about that stuff. if they aren't designing them themselves, they are certainly approving everything.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    Zod said:

PJ_Soul said:

I always feel the opposite. The 10c releases are often small (maybe bigger for the vaults). I'm always thinking the amount of money they bring in must pale in comparison to doing a single live show. Due to how the 10c operates, I always figured they'd do a better job if the band members were paying closer attention at what they do.
    Since Jeff acts as the band's official archivist/merch collector, chances are he knows exactly

100 Pacer said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

hah, interesting. thats a pretty funny thought about the womens clothing though
    I don't find that funny at all. They should either learn, or get a woman in to do it for them.

No surprise about the band approving everything though. They have said that PJ is a full time job. Since it's clearly not a full time job only touring and making new albums, I assumed the rest had to do with merchandising and PR.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    100 Pacer said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ha, I'm actually really disappointed to hear that! I always assumed they took great interest in the music / art (poster) stuff, but I couldn't imagine them sitting around talking about dog collars and key chains. I don't want to feel embarrassed for them, but I guess I do now.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

All I have to say....is....

Baklava.

Haven't had any since Greek Easter, and I'm jonesin'
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    jeffbr said:

100 Pacer said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ha, I'm actually really disappointed to hear that! I always assumed they took great interest in the music / art (poster) stuff, but I couldn't imagine them sitting around talking about dog collars and key chains. I don't want to feel embarrassed for them, but I guess I do now.
    my guess is they approve or disappove of many items that are brought to the table. doubtful they come up with every idea.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

All I have to say....is....

Baklava.

Haven't had any since Greek Easter, and I'm jonesin'

Now we're talking!!!
    :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited May 2015
    I find it mind boggling that people didn't think the band had a big say in what is released. When in their history have they not cared about what they put out there? in any area?

"Release whatever guys, we don't really care...."
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,019
    Smellyman said:

I find it mind boggling that people didn't think the band had a big say in what is released. When in their history have they not cared about what they put out there? in any area?

Ya well, if you've been paying attention over the past ten years or so the reality seems alot closer to your latter point than the former.
    Pearl Jam in 1998 or 2000 or maybe even as late as 2003 didn't seem like a band that would release new seasonal lines of clothing, or dog collars. They seemed like a band that if their touring cycle and music output slowed down it wouldn't be an excuse to release a barrage of crap (merch, reissues).

I don't know, it's just my opinion, but if you release a record every four years and you play 12-25 shows each year, don't try selling me a new line of tshirts every six months, don't try and sell me coffee mugs, don't try and sell me dog collars. At this point it's a very part-time band with a never-ending merch machine.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    I think you are looking at it wrong. Its not them filling their downtime with merch ( i mean ultimately, yes, they make the decisions and finance the production), but its fans demanding something for the downtime. If everything they made just stopped selling or sold poorly, you would see less of it. Bt people keep buying backpacks and coffee mugs, and socks and whatever. So they make more. And then people buy more.
  • Options
    Ryan said:

Smellyman said:

Ya well, if you've been paying attention over the past ten years or so the reality seems alot closer to your latter point than the former.
    Pearl Jam in 1998 or 2000 or maybe even as late as 2003 didn't seem like a band that would release new seasonal lines of clothing, or dog collars. They seemed like a band that if their touring cycle and music output slowed down it wouldn't be an excuse to release a barrage of crap (merch, reissues).

I don't know, it's just my opinion, but if you release a record every four years and you play 12-25 shows each year, don't try selling me a new line of tshirts every six months, don't try and sell me coffee mugs, don't try and sell me dog collars. At this point it's a very part-time band with a never-ending merch machine.
    can you imagine the cost of tour shirts on the secondary market if they sold nothing here? they are only supplying the demand. the dog collars were weird, but all of them are dog lovers/owners, so it was a fun merch item.

maybe some BDSM types bought them too. LOL.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    I think people need to chill the fuck out about merch. The point you need to start worrying would be a 10c issued fan polo.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

I think people need to chill the fuck out about merch. The point you need to start worrying would be a 10c issued fan polo.

imagephoto sorry_zpsm2zyoc9y.gif" />
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

How about some boxers or briefs? We've got sox, would be cool to have some boxers to match. They can even have a panty line for the ladies. Don't know who'll style them for them, maybe have a lightning bolt on the ass or front? Just saying
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    badbrains said:

How about some boxers or briefs? We've got sox, would be cool to have some boxers to match. They can even have a panty line for the ladies. Don't know who'll style them for them, maybe have a lightning bolt on the ass or front? Just saying
    You're still holding out for those leggings with Ed's face on the @$$ aren't you???
    :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946

Cease the chilling the fuck out. Limited to one per member, not for resale. Even one for the ladies.

:wink:
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Lightning Bolt on the ass?! Hahahahaha!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Cease the chilling the fuck out. Limited to one per member, not for resale. Even one for the ladies.

:wink:
    Hell yeah, Monkee! Haha!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946
    badbrains said:

You're in luck, they have those too.
  • Options
    Wowzers! Those underwear remind me of that shirt Stifler wore in American Pie 2.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ITB (inner thigh bolt)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com